[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth replaying the Warcraft games? What is the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 6_1[1].jpg (58KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
6_1[1].jpg
58KB, 640x480px
Is it worth replaying the Warcraft games?

What is the best setup to use?
>>
>>3410694
Yes.
>>
Warcraft II is cute. CUTE!
>>
>>3410723

Is Stargus good to use?
>>
>>3410694
WarCraft II is one of those games that is hard to play if your processor is too fast since the screen scrolls like crazy. This might have been fixed in the Battle.net edition, but I can't remember for sure.
>>
>>3410694
It took me years to realize the peon was a smug guy looking to the left. But instead a sad slave looking to the right.
>>
>>3410984
Get the DOS version, run it in DOSBOX and set the options to lower CPU cycles and its fine.
>>
>>3410694

How do I git gud at Warcraft? I beat the original, and Tides of Darkness easily, but when I tried to do Beyond the Dark Portal, it kicked my ass. Only time that's ever happened in an RTS game, and it does irk me ever so slightly.
>>
File: 1416290255419.jpg (41KB, 368x152px) Image search: [Google]
1416290255419.jpg
41KB, 368x152px
>>3410694
>>
>>3410694
>Is it worth replaying the Warcraft games?
Yes

>What is the best setup to use?
let me know if you found one. DOSBox is the obvious solution, but its lack of VGA throttling makes scrolling unplayably fast in both games. As far as I understand not even Daum has an obvious GPU throttling mechanism
>>
File: 1446213380020.jpg (23KB, 184x152px) Image search: [Google]
1446213380020.jpg
23KB, 184x152px
>>3411223
>>
>>3411216
dude what? if you can beat every other rts just read the unit descriptions and try again, dippy dipperson.
>>
>>3411523

Use Wargus. WCII remade in a free engine.
>>
>>3411918

My biggest problems seem to be economical, not directly unit/tactical. It's things like managing gold flow, how much you should build up before attacking, how often should you be building new sawmills as you work back the treeline, how to best manage the constant cycle of knight/ogre mage spells with a limited amount of attention and hands.

And like I said, it uses the same engine and ruleset as Warcraft 2, but something about Beyond the Dark Portal (well, being outnumbered a zillion to one on most maps) just escapes me.
>>
>>3412034
no, that thing has its own thread already and it's utter bullshit for many reasons
>>
>>3412206
>how often should you be building new sawmills as you work back the treeline
Never, you only need wood in the early game. In the late game you should just be spamming Death Knights/Mages which cost 0 wood.
>>
>>3412674

Why? I mean, unless you have insane micro skills, they're much worse than the knights/ogre magi. Do you just run up to people and play tag with blizzard/death and decay, and things like Polymorph?

And you'll need boats in a lot of maps too.
>>
>>3412534
>no, that thing has its own thread already and it's utter bullshit for many reasons

How so? Are tehre real issues, or is it just nerds complaining about purity?

>warcraft needs to be played at 320x200 and NO other resolution is acceptable guys!
>>
>>3411523
I have warcraft.conf which solves this

[code]
[sdl]
sensitivity=400

[cpu]
cycles=fixed 50000

[autoexec]
mount c WARCRAFT
imgmount d iso/warcraft2.iso -t cdrom -fs iso
imgmount e iso/darkportal.iso -t cdrom -fs iso
C:\
cd WAR2
WAR2
[/code]
>>
>>3413187
>>warcraft needs to be played at 320x200 and NO other resolution is acceptable guys!

Correct.
Also you must use a CRT monitor otherwise you might as well just go play pokemon Go like all the other normie vermin.
>>
>>3413187
settle down
>>
>>3413183
For starters they can instantly kill knights and ogre magi for 200 mana with a spell range larger than the catapult attack range.
The Death Knight even restores all his HP whenever you Death Coil something to death.
>>
>>3410694
sure it does, why not emulate warcraft1 just to see the crap it was then enjoy some warc2

you might get tired in a couple days but its worth it, next be sure to check some C&C Gold, and if you like, dont forget to play the Covert Operations map pack, quite challenging.

those along with aoe1 were a fun iteration of RTS history, for continuous multiplay however you will eventually fallback to c&cRedalert2 / sc1 / aoe2

>>3410960
you mean Wargus?

its my first time hearing of this.
Stratagus engine, some free engine it seems, Stargus = starcraft 1 on stratagus
Wargus = warcraft 2 on stratagus

> why play Warcraft2 with the Stratagus engine?
> There are numerous reasons, first it allows you to play Warcraft2 under GNU/Linux and other operating systems not supported by the original Warcraft2 engine,
>secondly it allows you to play over the internet, which the original Warcraft2 engine didn't allow you to.
not really, ppl could play warc2 on the internet with Kali
>Last not least the Stratagus engine allows you to tweak numerous parameters so you can play around with different unit strength and such.

>Stratagus is a free cross-platform real-time strategy gaming engine.
>... is developed together for Windows, Linux and Linux Maemo based devices (Nokia N900).

>Active games which use Stratagus:
- Wargus - Aleona's Tales and Warcraft II - https://launchpad.net/wargus
- Doom Wars - http://stratagus.com/games/doom-wars
- Wyrmsun - https://github.com/andrettin/wyrmsun
(uses modified engine version : https://github.com/Andrettin/Wyrmgus)
- War1gus - Warcraft I - https://launchpad.net/war1gus

>Abandoned (or obsolete) games:
- (merged with Wargus) Aleona's Tales - Free - https://launchpad.net/tales
- Stargus - Starcraft I - https://launchpad.net/stargus
>>
>>3412534
>no, that thing has its own thread already a
own thread?

where?
>>
>>3413309
>[code]
>[sdl]
That's a daum config, isn't it?

>two cd rom drives
I'm not made of money
>>
>>3413313
>Also you must use a CRT monitor otherwise you might as well just go play pokemon Go like all the other normie vermin.
I'm the one that insists on 320x200. I do not give a shit about what filter or monitor you use. The reason I care about the resolution is that it impacts the gameplay. It directly affects how much of the map you can see, your spatial awareness, the amount of scrolling you have to do and much more. Higher resolution results in lower difficulty.
>>
>>3413468
>not really, ppl could play warc2 on the internet with Kali
That's not using the Warcraft2 engine, now is it?

>>3414128
They're virtual drives you silly billy
>>
>>3413563
>>3406596
>>
>>3414176
I'm not made of virtual money either
>>
>>3414136

Yeah, lower artificial difficulty.
>>
>>3414203
I don't give a shit if it's artificial or not, the game was originally balanced for/around it. Fucking with the balance only makes the game worse, unless both sides are changed (multiplayer)
>>
>>3414203
that's just one aspect, although a big one. Spatial awareness is about as important, if not more important. The feel of the size of a map is directly related to how much you have to scroll. Increasing the resolution "shrinks" the game's maps in perception, it distorts the movement speed of units too, for the same reason
>>
>>3414207
>unless both sides are changed (multiplayer)
thats the whole fucking point anon

this while time youve been arguing about someone "cheating" in single player? hahah

yeah if seeing the whole map in a 2k display diminishes micromanagement and being seasoned RTS players the simplicity of w2 becomes to easy for us, you've killed the fun;

but rts is more about MP, and in the general sense, every time you remove the need or something that is simply related to coordination/reflex and not tactical and stretagical decisions, its a positive
>>
>>3414291
>thats the whole fucking point anon
To you. I don't do multiplayer, and neither do other sane people.

>youve been arguing about someone "cheating" in single player?
No, I've been arguing about someone getting the wrong impression of the game. The other points I mentioned apply in multiplayer as well.

>rts is more about MP
To you, I don't give a shit about human opponents

>every time you remove the need or something that is simply related to coordination/reflex and not tactical and stretagical decisions, its a positive
haha, no. Half the fun of hectic games is human limits. Go do a TAS, see what happens. Despite the name, RTS are not focused on strategy and tactics. The success of Starcraft should clue you in on that. It's all about speed.
>>
>The other points I mentioned apply in multiplayer as well.
aoe2 ppl are playing it in full HD holding championships and all at voobly.

aoe2 with multiqueue and greater view only brought a more intense experience to casual players who couldnt multitask so much.

I recall in more casual moments in age of kings my castle games were half managing dumb shit like expired farms, new unit training, ordering villagers from new resource point to start gathering, besides watching the several points where civs were touching.

i got used to mltitasking those things but microsoft fixed the farms and idle villagers in conquerors, and while i was still heart pumpimg for testing my limits, i realized how that shit was just a chore and not welcome at all, my freed attention could be applied in more intense battle micromanagement, the game became a ton more fun.

then userpatch fixed the unit training and improved view.

>>3414306
>Go do a TAS
a what?

and whats with the aversion to multiplayer?

>neither do other sane people
>Starcraft
>speed.
ah the 300APM myth spread by space asians?
when you shift+F2 / click barracks that you knew would appear in the middle of screen / M+M+M+M+M you just did 7apm in half a second, you didnt even see the barracks befor you click, and that wasn't even rushed, simple muscular memory.

whatever you do in single is good enough for MP, theres no need for autistic levels of mouse clicking to have fun competing.

are you a TBS or 4x player with a crush for RTS but you always had a certain prejudice against the realtime aspect? give MP a chance.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.