[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it actually supposed to be wood, or did everyone just assume

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: sword1.jpg (85KB, 900x568px) Image search: [Google]
sword1.jpg
85KB, 900x568px
Was it actually supposed to be wood, or did everyone just assume that from the color?
>>
The manual just referred to it as "Sword"

http://legendsoflocalization.com/media/the-legend-of-zelda/manuals/ZeldaNESManual.pdf
>>
>>3410603
Why would a wood sword shoot magic beans? Think for a second
>>
>>3410603
was link supposed to be a sjw in lttp or was his hair naturally purple
>>
>>3410616
Why would any sword shoot magic beams?
>>
It can't be made of wood. It'd break on the second hit.
>>
>>3410754
You'll notice Link never slashes in the first Zelda, but stabs. Wood can be decently functional for stabbing.
>>
I always imagined it was supposed to be old and rusted.

It could be made of bronze, also.
>>
Even in the JP version, it's just called "Sword" (Soodo). Maybe it's bronze or something.
>>
>>3410771
This.
I always assumed it was bronze, and the white sword was steel or iron
>>
I feel like it was called 'wood sword' somewhere prominent. Maybe in Nintendo Power or something?
I mean, I played Zelda waaay after release (so I never heard anyone talking about it) and I for some reason instinctively called it 'the wood sword'. Must have gotten that from an old magazine or something.
>>
>>3410770

You can perform slashes and even a spin attack
>>
>>3410772
And the White Sword is probably steel, and the Magical Sword is probably some magic metal like mithril or orichalcum.
>>
>>3410851

huh?
>>
>>3410616

because the magic is in link
>>
>>3410865

It requires precise timing though because you have to strike and quickly change direction.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (127KB, 1000x490px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
127KB, 1000x490px
A wooden sword is more than adequate to kill animals and shit with
>>
>>3410890

Hello were is the video proofs

Searching "NES Zelda Spin Attack" didn't turn up anything
>>
I think after Twilight Princess released everyone retroactively assumed that the sword in Zelda must be wooden too.
>>
>>3411103
When I was a kid, I assumed it was a wooden sword. That's what my uncle and I always referred to it as. Thinking back on it, though, we had no real reason to assume it was wood, aside from the blade being brown.
>>
>>3411026
You can change the direction you're facing mid-attack and hit two different things pretty easily. I'm sure if you were twitchy enough you could register all four polar directions in one attack. That's all they're talking about.
>>
Maybe it was just a funny color because they wanted the player to easily see where their sword was stabbing. It's a reddish tutorial sword.
>>
>>3410621
Because it's magic. And wood isn't.
>>
File: da wink.jpg (69KB, 630x1200px)
da wink.jpg
69KB, 630x1200px
I just assumed it was rusted and the white sword was polished
>>
>>3411119
Wood can't be magic? Who made you in charge of what can and can't be magic?
>>
I just thought it was bronze
>>
>>3410772
It's exactly the same brown as the wooden bow, and the shield which is probably also wood.
>>
>>3411119
Don't wooden staves shoot magic?
>>
>>3410787
Not Nintendo Power: the magazine didn't premiere until Zelda 2 was already on the horizon. Any strategies would have been mid to late game for Zelda 1. The Fun Club, maybe... but the Fun Club was a much smaller news letter, and didn't have time to waste on explaining basic first-screen stuff.
>>
>>3410787
In the GB games the first sword was actually made from wood, so maybe that confused you. In TP your first sword was a wood sword too.
>>
File: incredulous goth chick.jpg (43KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
incredulous goth chick.jpg
43KB, 512x384px
>>3411119
>wood
>not magic

Somebody's never cut a yew branch in a single stroke at sunrise on a Wednesday.
>>
>>3411119
Let me tell you a story. This is true btw, I have a friend who was there.

In the 16th century, a Japanese man challenged Miyamoto Musashi to a duel on an island. Miyamoto had to travel to the island by boat and wasn't allowed to bring a sword. When he arrived at the island, he carved the wooden oar he used into a wooden sword, and promptly prepared for the duel.

The challenger told him, "Wood can never defeat a katana, since wood isn't magic. And I swear by Penn Gilette that magic isn't real and you will lose this duel." All the students (there were students there btw) laughed at Miyamoto.

Miyamoto then hit the man so hard with his wooden sword he died instantly and dropped his chalk (which didn't break), leaving him speechless. A koifish named Son Goku came in and prepared magic tea for all the students who had faith in wood magic, and the challenger was disgraced so much nobody was allowed to call him -sama anymore.

The name of that man named Musashi Miyamoto? Albert Einstein.

Like and share if you have faith in wood magic.
>>
>>3412154
this guy
>>
>>3412154
>>>/r/ThatHappened

You have to go back.
>>
>>3412154
Let me tell you a story about a great battle, not one of wood and chalk, but one of concrete and rubber, of pride and territory, of finding one's way in spite of great adversity, one of respect and what can become if it's ignored, now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town named bel aire.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.