[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into the Wonder boy / Monster world series and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: title arc.png (315KB, 1129x964px) Image search: [Google]
title arc.png
315KB, 1129x964px
I want to get into the Wonder boy / Monster world series and would like to know which game is the best place to start.
I would like a game that aged well. I'm not that difficult when it comes to retro games though, but I want to play something that can still be relevant and that is somehow a good depiction of the series.
I know 3 games are available on XBLA/PSN so if it could be one of those it's a plus.
>>
Just play then chronologically, then do the same for The Adventure Island series
>>
File: PS_WiiVC_MonsterWorldIV.png (260KB, 456x409px) Image search: [Google]
PS_WiiVC_MonsterWorldIV.png
260KB, 456x409px
>I would like a game that aged well
Monster World IV is your best choice. It has great graphics and fun gameplay. Imo, is one of the best Sega Genesis games.
>>
Aging in gaming is a completely subjetive concept that depends on what you're used to play. So tell us what you're used to play.

If you don't have problems getting into SMB1, you can get into the first Wonderboy just fine. Then play everything in release order, and the Adventure Island sequels too.
>>
>>3410443

I wouldn't say I have trouble getting into SMB1, but it's not the easiest thing for me, yeah. I usually appreciate old games with quality game design/pacing very easily though. Recent exemples : Castlevania III, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Earthbound.
>>
>>3410440
This.

MW IV is barely connected to the series and is a little more linear than the other entries in the MW series but it's such a brilliant and underrated gem.
>>
MWII > MWIII > MWIV > MW
>>
Quit bumping your own thread on a slow board and asking to be spoonfed what to play on a series you're interested in. Pathetic.
>>
>>3410480

I've been playing the first Wonder Boy my whole life. As a frame of reference, SMB1 has infinitely better game design than Wonder Boy 1. Wonder Boy is a lot of fun but there isn't a lot of depth or real design to it You kind of get the idea in the first 10-15 minutes or so.
>>
>>3410440
Play Wonderboy in Monster World before MW4.
>>
>>3411909
see
>>3411064
>>
>>3410413
You don't have to bump anywhere near that often.
>>
Wonderboy and Monster World are separate series.

WB eventually become Adventure Island, while Monster World turned into action-RPG platformers. The recommended order of playing them is WB in Monster Land -> Dragon's Trap -> Monster World (Genesis) -> Monster World IV. And then the series died forever.
>>
>>3410380
HIGH ABOVE THE MUCKY-MUCK
>>
>>3412953
This isn't really true.
Adventure Island was an adaptation of the original Wonderboy by HudsonSoft using new characters (the main character is based on their spokesperson) and spawned it's own unique sequels.
Wonderboy and Monster World are the same series and have been developed by Westone from the beginning. The title of the fourth Wonderboy is literally "Wonderboy IV: Monster World III". You can't get more same series than that.
>>
>>3414031
Wonderboy honestly has completely different game design to Monster World. It's like saying Mario and Metroid are in the same series.
>>
>>3414031
On the plus side, Adventure Island is a bit more forgiving than Wonderboy.

>>3414241
And Zelda 2 has a completely different design than Zelda 1 or 3. What's your point?
>>
>>3414304
My point is that once they started using the Monster name, that's when Wonderboy died. You can tell because the devs even started using just Monster World at the 4th game.
>>
>>3414241
Wonder Boy in Monster Land pretty obviously carries over game elements from Wonder Boy. Not until Dragons Trap do the original arcade elements disappear.
>>
>>3414241
Who cares if it's a different design, it literally is the same series.

>>3414318
So what if the elements died, the PLOT for what little there is, directly continues 11 years after the first one in Monster Land
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.