[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Broodwar is BACK baby! Koreans have gone back to playing BW.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: 1470479738903[1].gif (2MB, 461x345px) Image search: [Google]
1470479738903[1].gif
2MB, 461x345px
Broodwar is BACK baby! Koreans have gone back to playing BW. Big tournaments, some of the best players in the world. With Nick "Tasteless" Plott giving English commentary.

Come watch classic Starcraft Brood War.
twitch gsl
>>
>>3407787
They got tired from SC2?
Kinda happy to hear that. I remember how people saddened by decrease of active SC:BW players.
>>
File: Bearded tasteless.jpg (205KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bearded tasteless.jpg
205KB, 1280x720px
>>3407812

Blizzard forced KESPA's hand to remove BW because they wanted to promote II. But now they've been slowly re-introducing BW for about a year now. It's just a much better game.
>>
sc2 was such an abject failure that even blizzard gave up, kek. At least BW HD will have a small following
>>
Yeah. The Game in which your units causing more problems than enemy's.
>>
Is this for real or am I being trolled?
>>
ITT faggot who care if a game/genre is ultra popular

>rts is dying

meanwhile i never stopped enjoying multiplayer in AoEs C&Cs Homeworlds and even shitty RTS's every now and then

as long as there are a few thousand players so that at any time you can have a few dozen online, you can make temporary virtual friends to enjoy some challenging competitiveness
>>
>>3408008
Honestly if the game had improved pathing, it would be unstoppable. It would just be a patch.

I've never played SC2, but the graphics were too busy to really allow you to focus your attention.
>>
>>3408048
You can find date and time for tournament games on the teamliquid.net sidebar.
>>
>>3408217
In this post, we see the faggot who misses the point of the thread. It is about watching top level competitive gameplay, not playing yourself.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows you can still play BW whenever you feel like. You couldn't watch GSL BW for a long period there.
>>
>>3408282
>but the graphics were too busy
reason i could never get into Wc3, d3 or even wow, blizz went fullfaggotry with their retarded graphics
>>
>>3408373
d2 on more than 2 players is epileptic boogaloo
>>
>>3408508
indeed, d2 FX is only good if its a single caster throwing double rainbows all the way, seeing as its a short skinner box finishing it once in single is all the satisfaction one should need, i didnt get bothered by it, in fact, the amount of sprite FX when playing alone is just about spot on
>>
>>3408217
>you can make temporary virtual friends

gross
>>
>>3408776
good luck getting ur normie or even your geek RL friends to play some specific old game with you whey its ur off weekend.
>>
Can someone explain what the fuck is going on in Battle.net's classic games forum?

It's really odd Blizzard isn't doing shit about it.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/12790218/
>>
>>3408849
Just some random spammer, it will get dealt with sooner or later.

What I find interesting, is they are releasing a new patch for SC, 1.17. Supposed to fix the color issue that SC has with modern OS's. There's a rumor that they are working on an "HD" patch or version of the game, so you can finally go bigger than 640x480. I suspect it will get banned from tournaments though, since it gives the person with the largest resolution the advantage.
>>
>>3408889
The best way to deal with this, which applies to any sprite based game, is to implement 16:9 but anything larger than whatever new resolution Blizzard decides on will just start scaling. It will have the same effect as Counter-Strike. Half-Life engine took out hor+ FOV because muh CS competition, but Source engine happened, hor+ FOV is back in and CSS/CSGO remains competitive because everyone has 16:9 now.
>>
>>3408908
>Half-Life engine took out hor+ FOV

i did some searching and HOR+ isnt fixed vertical FOV ?

valve took it out of goldsrc for competition reasons? i dont follow
>>
>>3409037
competetive players play with fisheye/crazy FOV, 120 is common, 150 180 is crazy people and usually not available for most engines.

Reasonable games make it at least part of the cheat variables, so you can't change it unless cheats are on.

Back in the day you could change your fov in those games easily and give yourself an advantage because you could see stuff happening to your side that you couldn't with the default FOV, so if someone is sneaking up behind you or comes out of a doorway, you can blam him.

Even better is when you turn off cl_interpolate and you don't get the client prediction at all so you only see the server frames-- the ones that matter. No more non-register shots.

It was a big enough deal in tribes that the community made their own version of the game to disable interpolate 'hackers'
>>
File: 3-26.jpg (36KB, 618x332px) Image search: [Google]
3-26.jpg
36KB, 618x332px
>>3409037
Retail disc / Half-Life WON was hor+, if you go widescreen resolution, your view extends horizontally, aka correct.

Steam Half-Life was vert-, if you go widescreen resolution, your top and bottom view is cropped off, the bottom of your gun is missing, aka incorrect.

Source engine did hor+ again because Valve realized people owning a widescreen was not cheating after all.

Pic related is Steam Half-Life, you can see it's clearly vert- because the stock of the MP5 is not even visible, it's cropped way off. If you google for Half-Life 4:3 screenshots, you can see the stock is visible.
>>
>>3409090
>150 180 is crazy people a

damn, sounds awesome

i never thought about this, other than thinking that in the future when many customers would have 3 wide screens like that \__/ curved setup and FPS engines would be made to take advantage of unused human peripherical vision.. but then screens got dense and light enough and HD+ VR became a reality.

on the other hand, i imagine playing RL paintball with horse goggles would permit sneaking in the level we experienced as newbies playing CS16 yrs ago, and wouldn't necessarily be a bad tihng, hehee
>>
>>3408889
>I suspect it will get banned from tournaments though, since it gives the person with the largest resolution the advantage.

They're just going to standardize the resolution, and that will become Tourny standard.
>>
>>3408373
WC3 was pretty decent as a game, but this was also the time when they began with overdesigned bullshit which would really get bad with WOW.

I miss pre-WC3 Blizzard aesthetics, Diablo and Starcraft were fucking beautiful games.
>>
>>3408508
D2 multi is kind of unrewarding because everyone just does the same thing all the time, even if the game has millions of options.
>>
>>3409191
Most people don't use FoVs above ~110. Increasing the FoV increases what you can see, sure, but it also makes aiming more difficult by virtue of the fact that everything that you do see takes up less space. I'm a high FoV player (I mainly play Quake, which I play at 130) and that's relatively unusual because lower FoVs simply allow you to aim so much easier.
>>
>>3408217
>ITT faggot who care if a game/genre is ultra popular

You're a fucking idiot who misses the point. BW being picked up again means there will be even more players back at it giving you even more chances to play online.
>>
>>3409623

Who were the artists for those games? Because I agree they're great. I bet you anything those artists are gone, and working elsewhere now.
>>
>>3407787
What's the best way to play this game multiplayer now?
>>
File: live.jpg (208KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
live.jpg
208KB, 1280x720px
STREAMING LIVE NOW

TvT just finished. Sharp vs. Organ.
>>
>>3409737
Doesn't Bnet still work?
>>
File: 1236619731173.jpg (522KB, 5000x2033px) Image search: [Google]
1236619731173.jpg
522KB, 5000x2033px
pretty glad to see this to be quite honest
>>
>>3408776
>>you can make temporary virtual friends
>gross

ROFL, so you only play multiplayer games for which you have real friends that play it?

youre either an unsufferable geeky adolescent, but still limited to a set of popular tittles, or you only play halo, CSgo, sc2, d3 and ff14 with your fellow child bearing friends

by temporary friends i mean ppl you keep a relationship with for months in the context of that game, or even a few dozen ppl that you know via internet for 15+ years since webforums you participated in the 90s and this group is always able to form a small team to play regularly some game during some children week vacation in granpas or just sunday afternoons for many weeks in a arrow

playing with only RL friends sucks, and total strangers have disadvantages for playing casually but seriously in many a genre RTS included
>>
>>3407823
>BW is "back"
>no tastosis
I was very much disappointed.
>>
File: gg.jpg (267KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gg.jpg
267KB, 1280x720px
Next game is on tuesday. Should be around 5-6am EST. Tune in!

>>3410989

Artosis is on vacation. So he's missing this. Not sure when he returns.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDlRDZeu7uY

I'm pretty sure this is real life Ender's Game.
>>
>>3411647
Get in the simulator flash
>>
Is there anything Blizzard would lose if they just released the source code to SC1 and Brood War? Just about every PC gamer on the planet has a Starcraft cd key somewhere, and cybercafes in Korea are not buying new copies for their machines. Anyone who wants to play Starcraft most likely has access to it already, so I can't possibly see a market in selling more copies.

Releasing the source code would boost public relations and help give Blizzard back some of their power over the esports scene as the community can dramatically change the game to benefit everyone causing SC1 to appeal to a much wider audience than before.
>>
>>3411787
more people should follow john carmack's and id's example. I greatly respect him for his work and philosophy about old software.

just look at the thriving doom community on this board and elsewhere.

give people the tools you used to make a game, and your game will become something far greater than it ever could have been by itself.
>>
>>3409623
>I miss pre-WC3 Blizzard aesthetics, Diablo and Starcraft were fucking beautiful games.

Diablo was done by a different studio and art team, Starcraft uses Alien/Starship Troopers aesthetic, Warcraft uses Warhammer aesthetic.

Really, the overdesigned 3D is really the only actual Avtivision Blizzard artstyle.
>>
>>3411787
they will probably re-release it under a "broodwar HD edition" motif, making is uninteroperable with the old game at the same time, just like microshit did with aoe2.

i just don't think they will go so low as to take away the multiplayer matchmaking service for classic broodwars and tell former patrons to fuck themselves like MS did.
>>
So why did SC2 did not catch on and stick with the Koreans? Is SC2 truly not as good of a game as Brood War, or is this just another case of people not wanting to change?

I thought Legacy of the Void was supposed to save SC2. What happened?
>>
>>3412721
I think one of the biggest problems for me that makes SC2 not as fun to watch is that there's not nearly as much micro on the pro player's part compared to Brood War. With the removal the unit selection limit and added ways to boost your economy and production (chrono boost, mules, queens) it's too easy for people to just macro up and move their big death ball around.
>>
>>3409737
>What's the best way to play this game multiplayer now?
ICCUP is the one most people seem to use, I heard gameranger is good for low skill games while fish ladder is for the mega pros.
You can access ICCUP and Fish ladder by using the MCA brood war launcher.
>>
Bumping through the flood of shitposting.
>>
>>3412753
I used to watch a bunch of vids of starbow (a starcraft 2 mod built around the balance of broodwar) starbow kept all of the easier macro/micro mechanics of starcraft 2, but it still didn't commonly have deathballs because of heavy emphasis on positioning in battles, that same emphasis on positioning gave a natural defender's advantage which combined with the fact that broodwar armies are much lower dps made for battles that spanned 1-5 minutes rather than things I've seen in starcraft 2 where even the commentators scramble to explain just what happened.
So I don't think it is a an issue of the unit selection, but just the balance being much too favored for aggression, being too short, and not positional enough.
>>
>>3414591
The only major defenders advantage in Brood War is caused by the poor unit pathing on ramps. I think Tastosis put it great in their cast on the 17th, the lack of very hard counters puts the focus on whether or not you can micro your units to their full potential.
>>
>>3415373
single unit micro is what Savage Battle For Newerth was supposed to provide with a human controlling every unit while someone plays on RTS mode..

too bad it didnt go extremelly popular.
>>
>>3415476
Except that isn't micro, that's having to rely on someone else's skill at an fps instead of your skill at an rts. While it was a fun game, it's not really the same thing.
>>
>>3415536

when it was announced i would dream of troops of plumed archers devastating infantary and retreating to inside a circle of pikemen as cavalry approached

i didnt care if i was gonna be an RTS commander or even a swordsmen trying to avoid a rain of arrows.

too bad the savage lore and overall unit variety wanst so appealing
>>
>>3415373
>The only major defenders advantage in Brood War is caused by the poor unit pathing on ramps.
I don't agree, ramps are huge of course (this isn't just caused by poor pathing, it is largely caused by the units in BW being significantly larger), but the more positional play and specific units/effects also provide defenders advantage. Positional play provides a large advantage by having the defender being able to optimize their position (generally) more than the attacker does. ZvZ has almost no positional play (zerglings only have it on ramps or choke points, mutas don't even have it) and is the fastest most aggressive matchup. Despite pvp not being focused around a blatantly defensive unit like siege tanks (they have reavers but those aren't as important), players still don't just march their army over the other army if it is weaker, despite many bases not having any ramp.
Retreating is also much less costly in BW, and many effects (dark swarm, siege tanks, storm, lurkers, disruption web, offensive spider mines) require an evacuation of an area rather than destroying armies outright or preventing effective retreat (forcefields, fungal growth, time warp, marauder shots), these effects do exist in BW (ensnare, maelstrom, stasis, lockdown) but unless the SC2 meta has changed very significantly, they tend to be less used (and only high tech).
>I think Tastosis put it great in their cast on the 17th, the lack of very hard counters puts the focus on whether or not you can micro your units to their full potential.
Agreed, but even if there weren't those sorts of hard counters in SC2 the micro engagements would either have a much lower scope (harassment) and/or would over would resolve themselves too quickly (deathballs) rather than the slower, more methodical pushes of BW.
>>
Reminder: Another game on Wed 6am EST. That's Tuesday for Korea.
>>
>Playing 1.16.1 BW on Win7
>got color fix, but the startup splash is still rainbows
>takes about 30-40 seconds to even reach the startup splash
I just downloaded and installed the 1.17 patch, both issues are fixed. Not live on battle.net yet, but if you aren't playing on battle.net I recommend to go ahead and get it.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.