[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friend won't play older RE's because of the tank controls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

Friend won't play older RE's because of the tank controls
Is it really that hard for people? it's a different control scheme it just takes 5 minutes to adjust and play especially early on with RE 1 where there's no dodging or anything complicated
>RE thread
>>
Has he ever tried? Honestly kinda sounds like he might be parroting a meme opinion/complaint.

I played the RE games as a kid in the 90s and didn't have a problem with the controls, surely an adult can figure them out.
>>
>>3407561
That was my argument
I remember being a kid and just learning in about 5 minutes if I could play it as a kid surely he could?
right?
Also unrelated question the Director's Cut Version of RE 1 is the best version? or is it the Dualshock?
>>
How old is your friend? I'm 32 and refuse to play any new shooters because they totally fucked up the joystick controls. I spent my life used to using left thumb to look and right d pad to move and then after xbox and ps2 shit went full retard ass fucking backwarda for no reason. I still can't get used to it even on the rare occasion I try to adapt.
>>
>>3407559
>>3407561
This. Most people hear "tank controls" and bail without even sitting down and giving it a try. Maybe start with RE3 and use the analog stick. It hides the tank controls pretty well, if that makes sense.

>>3407563
Regular Director's Cut. The Dualshock changes a lot of the music, most of it sucks, a few tracks are alright but overall it's a step down.
>>
>>3407559
I had a friend that had CV when it came out. I saw it sitting on his shelf and asked him if he beat it yet.
He told me he couldn't get past the part where you're equipped with nothing but a lighter.
I was totally dumbstruck that he didn't know he was supposed to run (or knife) on the first zombie encounter.
When I popped in the game he was amazed knowing that you can actually run by holding a button.
I asked if he ever read the manual, he never even touched it.
Turns out he only plays first person shooters and GTA 3/VC later on when it was released.
He never completed the campaign and stories for fps' and GTA.
>mfw I found the average american gamer audience
>mfw I have no face
>>
Is not hard, it tedious. I have played many times RE2 and RE3, but if you have never played them, you need at least an hour to get used to the controls. And of course the original RE aged like rotten milk. Thank god for the REmake.
>>
>>3407656

wow you're a retard
>>
If he doesn't like it, he won't ever like it. The camera angles in the old RE's were objectively shit, and making you not able to move and shoot is bad design.
>>
File: 1423001794893.jpg (11KB, 250x260px) Image search: [Google]
1423001794893.jpg
11KB, 250x260px
>This thread
>>
>>3407670

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
>>
>>3407670
totally agreed bro, and what's up with not being able to jump or strafe?
like, what kind of faggy special team is this lmao
they also should've let u save wherever u wanted with a cellphone
I mean, the fuck's an ink ribbin? What am I, the old bag from Murder She Wrote LOL?
>>
Ok, I'm going to bring a voice of rationality into this thread.
Guys, believe it or not, some people are not that committed to video games.
I can live until my last days knowing that I will never have played a single RE game and having no issue with that fact.
There are so many, many, many games out there right now, if a game leaves a bad first impression, many don't feel a need to force through it.
Few people care about the historical aspect of it. Just as I suspect many of you don't bother enough to watch classic films like Citizen Kane or Nosferatu, many have not played the classic video games in this board, and, guess what, most are just with it.
Why wasting your time trying to learn a new control scheme which doesn't even get used these days anymore when you can just go and play another video game which can be just as fun.
And remember, the fact they they're not sure they would even like this old RE game or not just makes it even less appealing to sit down and "learn" instead of play.
And don't even get me started on the fact that in the starting areas of RE 2 or 3, if you take too much time to learn moving around, zombies will come and eat you promptly.
And manuals. Brother, if you think reading manuals before playing is a normal thing nowadays, you need to get outside more.
>>
>>3407723
>Guys, believe it or not, some people are not that committed to video games.
Let me rephrase this bit for you.

"Believe it or not, some people don't have infinite time to play videogames".
>>
>>3407559
I agree. What pisses me off is when professional critics play these games and complain "hurr-durr aged controls."
Hello? the camera angles flip around every goddamn second. Do you have a better fucking way to program it? No? Have you ever played Clock Tower 3? Was that better? Oh that's right the camera angles change so tank controls make the most sense. Fucking idiots.
Also REmake is best game ever made. Control type C is god-tier controls.
>>
>summer /vr/
>>
Tank controls are and always have been shit. I wouldn't play the fucking game when it was new because of tank controls, and don't listen to anyone on /vr/ who tries to tell you that "nobody had a problem with them back then."

Unless you're driving an actual fucking tank, fuck tank controls.
>>
>>3407759

Of course some people had and have problems with them, just like some people have trouble controlling Mario in SMB or operating a controller in general. That doesn't make them difficult or render the game unplayable for the average gamer.
>>
>>3407759
This sounds like the single greatest idea for a RE mod I've ever heard.

Someone get on replacing Jills model with a tank model, ASAP.
>>
>>3407559
It literally should only take 2 seconds to adjust. Tank controls have always worked fine. However, I have to say they feel like they make more sense on a keyboard. I've always played RE1-3 on PC before I ever tried them on PS1 and it feels more sensible on a keyboard but still comfortable enough on a gamepad.

Furthermore, if your friend doesn't want to play RE just let him go. It's his decision, not yours.
>>
I think a lot of modern gamers ignore the D-pad and try to use the analog stick.

Tank controls+stick does feel like shit.
>>
>>3407561
I tried playing Resident Evil with a friend, and he had supposedly played Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy before with tank controls. He still managed to go "HUH? WHAT THE FUCK DURRR" when he put his hands on the controller. I even explained tank controls to him hundreds of times before.

Man I hate my so-called friends. I feel like the kind of person who can learn and master any game, but my friends will moan and complain at even the slightest challenge. If they die multiple times on one part of a game it is quickly dismissed as shit, and then I have to watch them fuck about in GTA5, manage players in FIFA, or playing some other piss-easy generic PS4 game for the millionth time.
>>
>>3407670
>making the game easy as fuck is good design
>not realizing that moving and shooting would require you to hold 4 buttons in a fucked up way
>not realizing it would be impossible to aim up and down if that was the case

Just fucking kill yourself
>>
>>3407759
Nobody should have a problem with them now either. Just press the fucking buttons and go, you retard.
>>
>>3407876
>I like artificial difficulty
Kys m80
>>
Wait, you mean I have to press forward to go forward and press left to turn left ? What kind of backwards ass fucking shit control is that. Fucking artificial difficulty I tell you, game aged like shit.
>>
Tank controls are the only way to play these games. Ever played Obscure ? That game has fixed camera angles but no tank controls. It's confusing af. Ever played SH2 or 3 without tank controls ? It's very tedious. The first time I played it I finished the game without tank controls but I played it on easy. Recently I replayed it and when I tried the other control scheme I thought "how the fuck did I finish the game with these controls". I switched back to tank and everything was perfect.
>>
>>3407656
Turning was the only issue ever and the fixed that with the quick turn in 3.
Up makes your guy go forward. Back makes him step back. Nothing could be simpler.
>>
>>3408204
Project Zero uses a hybrid control scheme that works really well and that could satisfies all players, however it only works well because camera angles in that game are very large and also move with the character. It would never work with RE's closed up cameras, or even Silent Hill which is more between the two.
>>
RE and its successors aren't even difficult with their camera angles and tank controls unless you go for a knife-only playthrough.

Most modern mainstream games are so, so dumbed-down and easy. Then again, I suppose that now gaming is mainstream, "the customer is always right" so we have to cater to people who would struggle with the first Mario level.
>>
>>3408356
I always thought that the camera angles were a benefit to the RE games especially since they were like horror B-movies. They give it a cinematic feel since each "shot" is composed rather than being dictated by the player.
>>
>>3408356
IT'S
NOT
FAIR

Why doesn't the game beat itself?!
>>
>>3408494
>Why doesn't the game beat itself?!

you joke but shit on Nintendo basically does that
>>
>>3407647
Kek
>>
REmake > RE3 > CV = RE0 > RE2 > RE 1
>>
>>3407913
It is not "artificial" in any way, you would be removing the whole element of strategy and planning ahead if you could move and shoot. Resident Evil is not a braindead third person shooting gallery that lets you blaze through the game without thinking.

What you're suggesting is unbalanced as fuck and has no difficulty at all.
>>
>>3408585
Put your trip back on, nesfag.
>>
>>3408585
RE1 is way too far down on that list. It is better than RE0.
>>
My favorite theory is that Wesker dosed their water with ludes before they went out on the mission.

That's why they walk around and aim like drunk retards. They are fucking wasted on luuuuuudes brah.
>>
>>3407559

As a player in 1998, you play an RE game and experience this:

>Holy shit this place is cool looking. The graphics are so great! This is way better than anything else on the Playstation or even PC!

You just accept it and move on. The controls aren't weird. The camera isn't weird.

Flash forward to today.

>Why does the camera change so much? Why does my character move so slow? This is trash.

The standard today is first person, or fully adjustable third person. RE games are just WAY too different for new players. Anything that was ground breaking for RE isn't that interesting to new players. It just seems like some old game. The backgrounds aren't that impressive to them since modern 3D graphics are as good or better than those still shots.

2D backgrounds based on pre-made high detail 3D models made a heck of a lot of sense in the 90's. It gave great backgrounds, and great 3D models. But the downside is that it led to a particular camera and control system that new players can't handle.
>>
>>3408605

> this also explains why they talk retarded
>>
>>3408585

RE1 is fucking amazing. It feels so fresh and interesting. The spooky mansion is a great setting.

RE2 > Remake > Re1 > Dead Aim > RE3> CV >RE0

Dead Aim is seriously under rated. It's like a transitional fossil between classic RE and modern RE.
>>
>>3407559
I played Parasite Eve this week. It's shit without tank controls. Just doesn't feel right. Tank controls are boss.
>>
>>3408591
>bad controls=good game
>>
>>3407559
I never liked them even back in the day. I mean it works, but it's literally forced bad controls.
>>
>>3407610
>playing fps games with a controller
>>
>>3407656
>need an hour to get used to the controls
You need 15 minutes at best if you completely lack hand-eye coordination and have the spatial sense of a 5 year old.
>aged like milk
How the fuck do you like REmake but not RE1? They're practically the same game, if anything REmake is more tedious since you have to put up with crimsonheads.
>>
>>3407670
>RE's were objectively shit
Theyre a fantastic design choice and handled expertly, kill yourself.
>not being able to move and shoot is bad
How? Just how? It adds challenge and not having a fixed position while you aim means youre fucked if you actually want to aim and shoot at anything- or do you want even MORE autoaim to help your casual ass?
>>
>>3409560
>controls I irrationally hate=bad game
Enjoy your shit taste, i guess.
>>
>>3409972
Hates a strong word dummy, I never said I couldn't play the games, but I play in spite of the controls
>>
>>3407610
Some games will have Southpaw as a controller option, letting you swap stick functions.
>>
>>3409805
It works, mouse is better for looking but it works.

Mouse + Analog is best though.
>>
One month ago I started playing with RE2 for the first time in my life, despite being 26, because when I was a kid I was terrified by basically everything, and I have to say that while I had to play a lot in order to get used to tank controls, they are fine.

Admiteddly I was playing on a PSP, so the d-pad wasn't as good as the psx one so I had to play more to get used to tank controls, but I think they are reale essential in those games; not only because they make navigating into the different rooms more intuitive, but because the "limitations" created by tank controls help creating anxiety and fear into the player, which is the game's goal after all

Now I only have to man up and start RE3, since the idea of the Nemesis always made me Afraid of playing it
>>
>>3409972
>irrational
They're really stiff and slow, and the common justifications I hear is that free movement with the stick would look less realistic (as opposed to stopping to turn in place), that you'd run into walls (a small price, considering how easy it is to recover) and that it makes the monsters too easy (true indeed, but the monsters can just be changed to be more aggressive for this control scheme).

I don't understand why some people are so attached to tank controls.
>>
>>3409959
>if anything REmake is more tedious since you have to put up with crimsonheads.
I think they're kind of an exciting element to the game, like "Oh shit, I don't have kerosene with me, will I make it back in time, will I forget to take care of this and bump into him when he's morphed, will I just try to stay away?" or "Oh shit, is that body actually dead"

They were one of my favorite parts of REmake, they were different from the other monsters.
>>
>>3407559
> Friend is too stupid to get used to a simple control scheme

Here we go again "the tank control meme". Do you guys have ever seen how a real tank works? Back in resident evil days we didn't even heard this term. The learning curve is so easy in this games, the viewpoint of a fixed camera angle in a pre rendered environment will always be better played using this kind of control system. Lots of devs make tons of RE clones an even RPGs were based in RE engine, it was what the technology could provide best at the moment. In fact I never had a problem with any game control scheme up to the Wii and Wii U gamepad that took a couple of days to get used too
>>
underage gamers today

>why is their inertia in this ***insert 8/16 bit platformer**
>why can't i change the path of my jump in Ghouls n Ghosts/CV
>why is there no autofire button
>why can't i spin around like a dreidel in RE
>>
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.