[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game so difficult? I'm not trying to whine but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (49KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 344x344px
Why is this game so difficult? I'm not trying to whine but holy shit! When this came out what was the reaction? I had a Genesis and saw an ad for it in a comic book but never played it until recently.
Contra general
>>
It's pretty easy though.
>>
>>3405589
Because in the JP original, you actually had a life bar which they cut from the World release.
>>
>>3405597
Because everyone else in WW2 got dwindled down slowly thus a life bar.

They got 2 insta kill bombs and made everyone else suffer through their video game releases... those scrubs.
>>
>>3405594

It's baffling that I frequently see this considered to be one of the hardest Contra games. Even the US version where you die in one hit and only have 5 continues (you know, like a normal Contra game) is easy compared to Contra 1-3 and Shattered Soldier. I've never played the Japanese version, but that one must be straight-up easy.

The only Contra games I've been able to beat are Shattered Soldier and Hard Corps, but I think that's partially because they're the only ones that really drew me in.
>>
>>3405631

where do you think you are?
>>
>>3405634
That meme is not an acceptable excuse to act like you're soooooooooooooo effin hardcore. Go away you're not impressing anyone with your blatant lies. Also Scrubs is terrible get some taste.
>>
>>3405631

I know you're just shitposting but I'm not saying I'm good at video games. I'm saying I'm bad at video games. I get shit on by most Contra games, but I was able to beat Hard Corps without too much difficulty. Brownie helped.
>>
>>3405631
He's right though. It's not even hard for a Contra game. Dodging projectiles is simple hand-eye coordination and if you play as Browny you rarely have to even do that.

It's one of my favorite games simply because it's an easy, pick up and play game.
>>
>>3405642
>>3405646
Holy crap just stop guys this is pathetic you're not fooling anyone but yourself at this point. SEEK HELP!
>>
Hard Corps is a boss rush memorizer, Contra is harder because it's more reaction based.
>>
>>3405651
fuck, meant Contra 3 is harder*
>>
>>3405648
And yet you're the only one having trouble with it. Improve your hand-eye coordination.
>>
All scrolling arcade shooters are just trial, error and memorisation. If you play it enough you'll get good.
>>
Contra and super C for nes are easy as cuck shit. Hard corps may be slightly harder than those two. Contra 3 in hard mode is probably the most difficult because of the fucked up level 6 boss.
>>
Alien Wars is harder, Hard Corps appears overwhelming at first for its speed, quantity of bosses and so on, but it's a matter of getting used to your characters' abilities. Sliding alone makes it much more forgiving than other Contras
>>
>>3405589
You just gotta dedicate the time to learn it.

Beating any Contra game requires a mix of gitting gud (not as hard as it sounds) and learning enemy placements and boss tactics.
>>
File: gfs_45464_2_3.jpg (81KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_45464_2_3.jpg
81KB, 960x720px
>>3405589
The first time I played this, I didn't have an instruction manual. Did you know that sliding gives you tons of frames of invincibility? Makes it an entirely different game, and way more manageable (still balls hard though).
>>
Contra HC is fucking easy. Way too fucking easy, and easy as SHIT if you play the Japanese version which gives you 3 hits before you lose a life.

Your fucking slide is INVINCIBLE. Use that shit. All the time.

Brownie and Fang are fucking overpowered. Fucking use them if you find the game hard. Those two characters rape everything in a matter of seconds.

Sheena and Ray are basic. Sheena is easier to use at first and may seem better, but Ray is a faster boss killer once you git gud and can point-blank bosses with the spreadgun. Ray is actually a slightly better character than Sheena. Sheena is easier to use though. I would say that Sheena is the best character to start out with. Use the big laser on bosses, and the homing laser on normal enemies. Simple. But once you've beaten the game a few times and know the boss patterns and shit, and want to start killing bosses at a much faster speed, you can move onto the other three characters and just tear the game a new asshole.
>>
>>3405589
slide, nigga.
>>
>>3407296
So is Fang the overall best character? Brownie seems like the easiest to use (short, double jump), but Fang is the strongest?
>>
>>3409695

Fang has a bug he can exploit that lets him rapid fire charged D weapon shots and with that he's the strongest character. Otherwise Brownie is both the easiest and the strongest because his C weapon is very easy to hit with and has absurd DPS.

Fang (w/ bug) > Brownie > Fang (w/o bug) > Ray > Sheena
>>
File: blown away.jpg (41KB, 449x337px) Image search: [Google]
blown away.jpg
41KB, 449x337px
>>3405589
>have COD-loving youngfag friend
>hanging out, talking games
>realize he's never played a Genesis/Megadrive before
>immediately throw in Contra Hard Corps
>use Game Genie so he doesn't quit in frustration right away
>slog through entire game in about an hour
>tfw the look on his face during the opening scene of level 1
>>
File: 27005.png (104KB, 601x792px) Image search: [Google]
27005.png
104KB, 601x792px
>>3409695
This anon summarized it perfectly here >>3409717

Some other obscure tidbits of info about the game.

-The three humanoid characters have the same hurtbox, so even though Fang has a bigger sprite, he has the same hurtbox as Ray and Sheena. in other words, Fang is not a bigger target even though he looks like he is

-Everyone has the same distance when it comes to sliding. So everyone is equal when it comes to sliding, even though it may seem like Sheena or Brownie have better slides.

-Everyone has the same running speed. So no character is faster than another.

-Ray, Sheena, and Brownie's upgraded A gun have the same power. Fang's upgraded A gun is stronger at close to mid range though.

-Ray versus Sheena
Sheena is arguably the best character against normal enemies because her D gun is the best for that. However, this game is all about bosses, and normal enemies are basically inconsequential; they're like 10% of the game. None of the non-boss segments are challenging in the least with any character. So it comes down to who kills bosses faster. Ray does. With his spreadgun at close range. Since I'm an autistic idiot, I actually timed all the boss fights (multiple times each to get optimal damage and equivalent patterns) to compare Ray and Sheena's killing speed. Ray can kill roughly 75% of the bosses faster than Sheena. However, Ray requires just a little more effort than Sheena. Sheena is a very good newbie-friendly character, but Ray is the better damage dealer once you know the boss patterns.

Fang and Brownie though.. they just break the game.
>>
Hell, I've been craving another boss rush game. Should I read the instruction manual or is it more fun to figure out the mechanics as I play?
>>
>>3411389
>Since I'm an autistic idiot, I actually timed all the boss fights (multiple times each to get optimal damage and equivalent patterns) to compare Ray and Sheena's killing speed.

I used save states, in case anyone was wondering.

>>3411402
No need for the manual. Just pick up the game. Just remember to slide.

Use the slide to get out of trouble. The slide is fully invincible, so you can go through enemies and bullets using the slide without getting hurt. Maybe start off with Sheena. Use the spread homing laser against normies, and use the big laser against bosses.
>>
>>3411459
Digging the game so far. Can't remember the last time a first level took me that many attempts to clear where the blame was on myself. I seem to be doing best with Sheena but I ended up clearing the level with Radical Arnold. I'm coming off Revenge of Shinobi so it's taking me a little bit to get a handle on the mechanics and pacing. Still, there's been a hole in my heart since Alien Soldier and I think this will help with that.
>>
>>3411402
Why wouldn't you read the manual?
>>
File: Norman Wisdom soldier.jpg (14KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
Norman Wisdom soldier.jpg
14KB, 320x400px
>>3405607
>>
>>3412850
With some games I find it's more fun to go in blind and try to piece out the controls while playing.

>>3411705
Also, I changed my mind and Browny is currently my favorite.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.