[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>licenses that aren't being used but you wished you had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

File: hexen.png (499KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hexen.png
499KB, 1600x1200px
>licenses that aren't being used but you wished you had access to

As a game dev, this really sucks. Bomberman, Heretic, and some other lost IPs just sitting in the dust.
>>
>>3405409
Couldnt you form a team build the game to completion then just drop it on a torrent and release the link here? The only games that get shut down are the ones with publicity and websites showing progress. If no one knows about it until its too late, whats going to happen?
>>
File: Road_Rash_Jailbreak_cover_art.jpg (822KB, 1422x637px) Image search: [Google]
Road_Rash_Jailbreak_cover_art.jpg
822KB, 1422x637px
;_;>
>>
>>3405436
I want to make money from it and give me credibility to make more games with other licenses. It's a good resume.
>>
>>3405443
Uncreative faggot.
>>
>>3405443
Well then... i wish you the best of luck. Best you can legally do is make a similar game with similar mechanics but have to make it your own without facing Cease and Desist.
>>
>>3405446
Mods don't mean anything these days. If you want a license, you have to work to the bone for it to the point that you have to be a working company with many successes behind them. It wasn't long ago when the Star Wars license was an easy grab. Then companies got jewish and now it's only allowed by EA and Disney to touch it. Same for the NBA license. It's scummy as shit.
>>
>>3405448
I was told to just make a spiritual successor. It's a good alternative I suppose. Herectic really didn't have a lot of recognizable things going for it other than the name. Its characters are nameless and the villains are just your typical demon lords.
>>
>>3405454
If you have the heart and soul of Bomberman, whats wrong with releasing Explosionkid as a tribute with your own story? An example of course doesnt have to be the name you choose... but you get the idea
>>
>>3405463
Eh. Bomberman, no matter what, still holds a better place in most gaming history than some clone of it. I can't name many spiritual successors or clones that became better than the games they were based off of.
>>
>>3405465
And honestly i dont think you ever will. But youre looking for money, reputation, and resume material. Not to go down in history as the man who revived Bomberman. If you do a solid enough job and it picks up momentum then developers may actually release a new one, or you can get hired on if you sell yourself well to do it.
>>
>>3405470
I dont want to be hired on. I rather remain as detached as possible from the suits and the bureaucracy of companies, especially big ones like activision for instance. I wont no part in being jew'd or taken advantage of.
>>
>>3405470
The key thing is though, no company is going to allow you to make money off of their name. Thats some legal trouble you dont want to be in. It has to be your own, sell it as a tribute.
>>
>>3405473
I think im missing your logic here Anon...
>Wants money
>Wants reputation
>Wants Resume for Job
>Doesnt want to get Jew'd by Game Industry
>>
>>3405480
When I say resume, I meant more of a company resume of all my completed games. I have some of that already on my belt. I'm an independent dev. not to be confused with an indie dev.
>>
>>3405485
So you want to work for an underdog company, rather than a company like Ubisoft or Bethesda got it.
>>
>>3405489
No, I own my own company. if I work for someone, it'll mostly be through indirectly using their license and that's it. Think LBJ, Konami, how they use to make games using others creative licenses but not really working for them.
>>
>>3405494
Well, hmm. Theres always how TV Shows and Movies do it. Make a Solid Demo or Pilot, contact the company for endorsement and funding for the license and complete the game from there.
>>
>>3405409
>Bomberman
A new Bomberman game just came out in January, not sure if it's any good though.
>>
>>3405501
Sounds like a good idea. Make a good demo of it. Give it to the public while giving it to them at the same time. If they say no, my demo can garner enough support to create my own version, and maybe even get it crowdfunded. Could work out.
>>
>>3405503
Nevermind, just looked into them more and saw that every bomberman game since around 2010 was either a virtual console re-release or a mobile game which doesn't count.
>>
>>3405506
Exactly. I dont know if id throw anything public until you get a final answer from the company in question though. Make the Demo and Multiplayer as smooth as possible, then send it in, get an answer. If its No, change the characters drop the demo wait for a response from the gaming community. If its Yes, dont drop shit let the Company Advertise for you. Theyll draw up papers concerning a disclosure agreement. Dont fuck yourself.
>>
>>3405516
Good shit. I'll get to work when I'm done with the game I currently need to finish and get it released. It'll be a nice change of pace since it'll be the first fps I work on commercially.
>>
>>3405523
Best of luck to you Anon. Id play the fuck out of a new Bomberman. Or a knockoff as long as it felt the same.
>>
File: Master of Magic game.png (22KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Master of Magic game.png
22KB, 320x200px
>>3405409

Master of Magic.
>>
>>3405409
you can still map and mod for hexen and heretic though.

You can do more than ever with them with GZDoom and suchlike. sloped floors, gl lighting, extensive scriptings n shit. customize monsters, add new one, customize weapons etc.

also
>That misaligned texture in the grating in the centre
pretty sure those double lines would look better as a single line directly on the corner
>>
>>3405571
If I make a Hexen game, it won't be based off the old engine. It'll use 3d models and have more responsive FPS mechanics.
>>
>>3405436
Developing games isn't exactly free.
You'd have to find some people who are willing to do a job for you for literally no compensation
>>
>>3405573
Maybe you can make it actually fun too, Hexen wasn't very good on that front.
>>
>>3405608
Read further anon, and there have been teams who tried to remake games for no compensation other than theirs and others love for the title. See Chrono Trigger remakes for example. We got to OPs point already.
>>
>>3405573
Both Hexen's have very responsive FPS mechanics, provided you have mouselook and sensitivity set right. No more or less responsive than doom or quake etc.

>3d models
So essentially hexen II but new?
>>
>>3405573
Just remember, Solid Demo for the Company. Not the public, until you get a definitive Yes or No.

Yes, sign the disclosure agreements and use the funding for your team to build, polish and finish your game.

No, change the characters and story drop the demo public go from there. If the company drops critisim and wants to see either more, or some changes be prepared to do so it might also be a test to see how fast you can push out their demands.
>>
File: Feisar.png (429KB, 1058x381px) Image search: [Google]
Feisar.png
429KB, 1058x381px
Wipeout and F-Zero.

There are community made games with the same mechanics but it's not the same without Feisar or Blue Falcon. When you've been with one of these fictional teams for so long, from the start, you don't have that same connection with anything else.
>>
>>3405465
>Crysis
>Bioshock
>Lost Odyssey
>Metro 2033
>Fucking FALLOUT
>>
>>3405663
also the design and fonts / stylistic choices in the wipeout games are top notch.
>>
Splatterhouse

It's deader than dead, and if it came back, it has a 0% chance of being done decently

If somebody could just draw a few gigabytes of 60fps HD sprites and backgrounds I'd be happy to take a crack at the programming
>>
>>3405409
to be fair, the serpent rider IP was basically done with in Hexen 2 and Portals, the serpent riders themselves were dead so the overall plot is resolved, and PoP even more solidified that
Any continuation now would be something new or different, plus its not like the games ever took place in the same world even
It does such that Hexen 2 wasn't as good as it should have been, didn't really end the story on a high note after Heretic and Hexen were so great
>>
>>3405443
Yeah, look all those rom hack creators who struck it big using someone else's IP.

Retard.
>>
>>3405485
>I'm an independent dev. not to be confused with an indie dev.

You do know what indie means, right?
>>
File: Pandemonium_box.jpg (97KB, 440x450px) Image search: [Google]
Pandemonium_box.jpg
97KB, 440x450px
Pandemonium

>mfw Squeenix are taking pitches for other old Crystal Dynamics IP's, but not this one.
>>
>>3407495
I think he's getting at 'Indie' the scene as opposed to 'Independent' the legal/financial situation.
>>
File: cutie_bug_by_cloesy-d51ymlb.png (100KB, 455x485px) Image search: [Google]
cutie_bug_by_cloesy-d51ymlb.png
100KB, 455x485px
>>3405409
Tempo
>>
>>3407543
Does Sega own tempo? One day I want them to do a collection of Saturn and 32X games, they get no love and I'd love to have them on newer systems.
>>
>>3407567
Have no idea, but yeah I'd like the same thing.

I fear it would be Japan and Digital only in order to minimize the blowback. So few people would buy it and they probably wouldn't break even so they'd lose money putting together the collection in the end.
>>
>>3405439
>Not being used
>What is Road Redemption
>>
File: 1416319469499.jpg (67KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1416319469499.jpg
67KB, 680x383px
>>3407726

>what is Road Redemption

Shit. "HEY GUYS LET'S MAKE A GAME LIKE ROAD RASH EXCEPT WE GONNA REMOVE THE ROCK SOUNDTRACK AND THE HUMOUR AND ADD EDGY SHIT LIKE BLOOD, SHOTGUNS AND KATANA XDD". Where did I see a forgettable game with bikes, combat and shitty electronic soundtrack? Oh yeah, Speed Kings, you probably never heard about it because it is one of the most mediocre games ever released.
>>
Best thing to do is make a spiritual successor.

Model the gameplay and mechanics after the original.

The only downside is no name recognition, but if you have reviewers namedrop the original, it'll become known as a sequel in all but name.
>>
File: Game_Over_3.png (5KB, 712x473px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Over_3.png
5KB, 712x473px
>Bomberman

>Several titles in the 2000s were published by fellow Japanese game company Konami, who gained full control of the franchise when they purchased and absorbed Hudson in 2012.

Fuck Konami. We'll likely never see a NEW Bomberman title again.
>>
>>3405668
none of those are better than the games they're based off except for maybe crysis
>>
>>3405439
>he doesn't play road rash 64

what is stopping ea from making another road rash game is it the lack on interest
>>
>>3408375
>asking that question in 2016
>>
>>3408375

I played and it was the game I liked the least in the series. At least the soundtrack isn't a letdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDKdoJA0RBA

And fuck EA, their Midas' Touch turns everything they have been done in the last years in shit
>>
>>3408635
i just wish the tracks were a lot longer like in road rash 3d
>>
>>3405409
DUUDE a modern day Heretic or Hexen would give me massive hard on.
>>
I would kill for a new Crimson Skies!

I still enjoy the first one, but it's 15 fps cap kills me.
>>
File: thong.jpg (36KB, 275x400px) Image search: [Google]
thong.jpg
36KB, 275x400px
>>3407495
What it meant before the word was ruined, you mean? He was right to make the distinction.

You don't hear me telling you lot that I wear thongs, do ya. You'd get the wrong idea.
>>
>>3405409
>As a game dev, this really sucks.

When I read that all I hear is "coming up with my own ideas is too hard! I wish I could piggyback on something popular!" And people wonder why games suck these days...
>>
>>3405541

Officially a pleb with shit taste.
>>
>>3409491
I love Crimson Skies.
>>
>>3405409
but Power Bomberman is the best Bomberman.
>>
>>3405663
Didn't F-Zero have an NX title?
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.