[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Happy 25th birthday to Streets of Rage!! Let's discuss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20160802-164806.png (811KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160802-164806.png
811KB, 1080x1920px
Happy 25th birthday to Streets of Rage!!

Let's discuss all things SoR itt:

How it was a direct rip off of Final Fight but ended up inspiring things in FF sequels.

How it has one of the best soundtracks ever (even though its 99% plagiarized)

And why Sega has abandoned the franchise and why the hate us so much!
>>
>>3400184
Any recommendations on having fun with them? I got SoR 1 and 2 with the Sega 3D classics and have tried getting into them but it jut seems to be the same walk along and do the same couple moves over and over and over. What's the best way to play them?
>>
>>3400192
>seems to be the same walk along and do the same couple moves over and over and over.

Welcome to ever beat em up ever made.
>>
>>3400192

Yeah, that's pretty much all there is to beat em ups.

The fun is in trying to master it I guess.
The 3D versions I think have infinite continues so there's no real challenge to it. You just keep going until you beat the game. When really you should only have 3 continues.

The genre is also much more fun with a friend in co-op. You can throw each other at bad guys and fuck around.
>>
>>3400196
>>3400197
Ahh okay then. To be fair I haven't used any infinite continues, but then I also haven't ever kept playing past the first death. Always thought there was something I wasn't getting or doing wrong, but I guess that's just how the games are.
>>
They're amazing, the third one sucked, and I actually prefer the first one.
>>
>>3400241

3 > 1 > 2
>>
>>3400215
Yeah most of the time you really have to get to the more challenging levels to appreciate a beat em up. Then you start having to really focus on timing and crowd control.
Some bmups also incorporate minor platforming elements to spice things up.
>>
Time to fire up some SoR
>>
>>3400290
>autism counts
>>
Can't find a rom for this anywhere
>>
>How it was a direct rip off of Final Fight but ended up inspiring things in FF sequels

How? I mean, of course beat'em ups usually pretty much follow the same formula but why exactly SoR is a ripoff of Final Fight and not from the even earlier Double Dragon, for example? I really have an amateur eye for this so I can't see nothing else FF did than Double Dragon than a more solid combat system where the enemies (usually) don't hit you back at the exact same time you're attacking them.
>>
>>3400184
Bare Knuckle is a pretty average belt scroller. Segafags love to hype it up because of the music, but the game design is lacking compared to what you could find on the arcade.
>>
>>3400750

Which arcade title and "game design" decisions we should think about to compare? Hope you're not comparing the 1991 title with Shadow over Mystara, for example.
>>
>>3400290
This
>>
>>3400241
The third one has better character moves than all the others and is the most challenging. The second has the best music and artwork. The first was ahead of its time.
>>
>>3400732
Honestly, Bare Knuckle 1 always felt like a Golden Axe mod with brawlers instead of barbarians. The cop car in BK1 was definitely a throwback to the magic spells in GA. BK2 and BK3 were definitely more Final Fight-esque though.
>>
>>3400785
>The second has the best music
Naw, nigga, naw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkHjQMc5oiQ
>>
>>3400790

Alien Storm is the Golden Axe clone, not SoR. You have more variety attacking, specially in 2P mode. Hell, I love GA even though I know his many flaws like you can 1cc the game only by luring the enemies to run in your direction and then avoiding going up and down and comboing their backs.
>>
>>3400732

Well the entire reason it was created was because Final Fight was massive in arcades and Sega wanted a similar game exclusive for its new console. So they said to make it as much like it so FF was used as a base.
>>
>>3400963

SoR has enough personality to don't be classified as a Final Fight clone IMO. If you're looking to a shamefur ripoff you should take a look on Riot City, iirc it was published by Sega
>>
>>3400785
The third one has completely fucked up balance and boring as fuck level design. It does have the most characters and the most moves, but it only goes so far when you realize that you are just repeating run -> jump kick for the entire game against endless hordes of generic punks.

SOR2 has the best level design and best balance in the series. It also mixes up enemies the best - yeah, you mostly just get generic Galsia and Donovan and Signal, but every time there is something different mixed in - be it a dude jumping from a manhole, a vertically scrolling section, a dude with a knife, a karateka or a ninja, etc.

Or in other words, SOR3 just tosses in a dozen of the same 1 or 2 enemies, while SOR2 varies between the same 3 + something else. And all the enemies are clearly tiered by how dangerous they are, while SOR3 has all enemies equally weak - so variety doesn't really matter. A karateka and a fat guy is as easy to dispatch as a Galsia.

Music is a toss up between 2 and 3, depending on what style you like more.

SOR1 is a "golden axe indacity".
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.