[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think of the Shantae? I'm playing the original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

File: Capture.png (27KB, 798x610px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
27KB, 798x610px
What does /vr/ think of the Shantae? I'm playing the original for the first time and I'm enjoying it so far. The controls are satisfying and the game has a very zesty atmosphere.

How do the subsequent installments to the series compare to the first game?
>>
It's an average game with beautiful spritework that is most noted for its rarity.
>>
good game that's constantly getting shit by impatient minmaxers
>>
>How do the subsequent installments to the series compare to the first game?
The original is retro, the rest isn't.
>>
The original is great and has beautiful graphics.

The sequels are total garbage. The mechanics are simplified, the art style looks generic as fuck and the sprites are kinda ugly.
>>
>>3398439
never heard anyone but myself say this in Shantae threads. Good to hear there are indeed others
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (361KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
361KB, 1440x1080px
>>3398570
Good taste is rare, my friend. Most people don't even understand why chiptunes or MIDI songs can be more fitting for certain games than orchestrated music with overly long intros. Especially in games where you are constantly moving from place to place and just keep hearing the convoluted, over the top intro added to the actual song.

They simply assume that modern graphics and music are always objectively better.
>>
File: 1411078763239.jpg (30KB, 272x252px) Image search: [Google]
1411078763239.jpg
30KB, 272x252px
>>3398439
>>3398570
>>3398621
>>
>>3398439
The overworld of the original is a bit too grand in concept, and kinda falls flat because of the shitty lives/save system.

I mean, Risky's Revenge isn't much better, but I think Pirate's Curse is a far better game than the original Shantae. But, the original does indeed have great spritework.
>>
>>3398335
I just finished this a few weeks ago.

It's very pretty. The overall presentation is great. The dungeons are fun.

Navigating the overworld is a chore, especially if you don't know what you're looking for. (Fucking east is west bullshit hint.) If there were multiple paths, shortcuts, or better platforming layouts it wouldn't be so bad, but it's boring even the first time through an area.

The sequels trim a bunch of fat off of the first. Enemies don't take so many hits to kill. Attacking is snappier. Run is default. Transforming is fast. Warping is easier. Larger screen area. Maps.
Cry casualized all you want, but I don't consider wasting time in a game any more challenging or fun.
>>
>>3398337
This.

It's not bad at all. It's just very, very average. Most basic physics, most basic level structures, most basic combat which is reduced to "hit an enemy 4 times". There's almost nothing to catch the attention except for some dungeons and their puzzle/adventure elements.

Wario Land 3 is like Shantae, except a million times more complex, challenging and captivating overall.
>>
>>3398335
The sequels are even better, specially Pirate's Curse. Can't wait for Half-Genie Hero.
>>
>>3398337
it's noted for being rare AND being a good/great game also. If it was just rare, it wouldn't be notable at all. there are many games for GBC that are much rarer that are a fraction of the price of Shantae, and get zero the amount of attention Shantae gets.
>>
>>3398335
If you want to try a secret transformation (do it after beating the game, so you don't kill the difficulty), you have to introduce a secret code in the title screen to play in debug mode.

That transformation can be unlocked legitimately near the end of the game, but it requires grinding a lot of money and playing on GBA to access the shop where you buy it. For some reason, this game looks and plays like absolute crap in GBA emulators.
>>
File: 1469890035099.png (49KB, 396x352px) Image search: [Google]
1469890035099.png
49KB, 396x352px
>>3398439
>>3398570
>>3398621
>HURR DURR MODERN GAMES ARE SHIT DON'T MAKE ME LEAVE MY RETRO BUBBLE!!!!!
>>
File: shantae the emulator test.gif (147KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
shantae the emulator test.gif
147KB, 160x144px
>>3399990
>For some reason, this game looks and plays like absolute crap in GBA emulators.

It plays like that in many GB emulators too.
>>
>>3398642
I had fun with the new games, but something about them feels cheap. It probably has to do with the anime character portraits.
>>
>>3398621
It is ironic then, that the music in Half Genie Hero has 1 minute long convoluted dubstep intros before it actually starts any melody.
>>
>>3398373
I know this is /vr/, but being a retro gamer isn't like being a vegetarian. You're allowed to like non-retro games, FYI.
>>
>>3398337
First reply was best reply. It applies to the other games in the series as well. They're very beautiful graphically, but a bit dull and repetitive when it comes to gameplay. Worth playing if you like open platformers like that though.
>>
>>3400026
>not using Gambatte for every GBC game
>>
>>3400035
How are the sequels graphically beautiful? The portraits look cheap and generic, while the sprites are simply ugly compared to the original game.
>>
>>3400034
But you're not allowed to talk about them here.
>>
File: ShantaeCurseSS_Lummox.png (142KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
ShantaeCurseSS_Lummox.png
142KB, 400x240px
>>3400047
I suppose opinions differ... I wasn't a huge fan of Risky's Revenge, but think Pirate's Curse is a gorgeous game and there's a ton of detail in the sprites. Graphics and seeing what was next is the only thing that kept me playing though, I can see if you didn't like the look of the game then it wouldn't have anything for you at all.
>>
>>3398439
>The mechanics are simplified,

What did they do to the mechanics? I was thinking of playing them. The GBC one was good at least I thought.
>>
>>3400063
You don't have to actually dance anymore, for one. It's automatic.
>>
>>3400059
Yeah, I guess it's a matter of taste. I think the backgrounds look pretty, but everything else... I think Shantae's sprite looks a lot better here >>3398335

I think the original game had more and better animations for Shantae because it couldn't rely on character portraits at all.
>>
>>3400059
Is it even possible to play the original Risky's revenge anymore? The one on DSi.
>>
>>3400082
Not on the DSi Shop. It's still on the 3DS eShop though.
>>
File: shantaescuttle.jpg (161KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
shantaescuttle.jpg
161KB, 800x450px
>>3400076
Yeah I guess we just disagree. I liked the look of the GB game, but think they've gotten better at all of it. I just wish they were actually more fun to play.
>>
>>3400082
I still have it on DS, but other than that not sure.
>>
>>3400068
That is odd... what else did they do to it?
>>
>>3400068
Basically, you keep a button pressed for a certain amount of time for each form and that's it.

I don't understand why they scrapped one of the most iconic mechanics from the original game.
>>
>>3400121
Yeah that's weird, it was so fun in the first game. What else did they fuck up?
>>
File: dark-void-zero-screenshot.jpg (512KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
dark-void-zero-screenshot.jpg
512KB, 1000x750px
>>3400082
There are some seriously great DSi Ware games out there that will soon be lost to the mists of time. It's a sad scenario.
>>
>>3400203
That's why I don't understand why some people are against emulation. Most companies don't do shit to preserve their games. And when they do, they only care about preserving modern remakes or censored ports like Pokemon Red/Blue on the virtual console.

There are so many obscure NES games that are basically abandonware now. They are only being preserved thanks a bunch of nerds on the internet. This is unnaceptable.
>>
File: rabilarge.jpg (43KB, 272x408px) Image search: [Google]
rabilarge.jpg
43KB, 272x408px
>>3400217
People are against emulation? The only people against it at all that I run into are the hardware purists here, and even they're not really against it in spirit they just think it's inferior to the real thing.

I would love to see someone dump roms for some of those games so they can be enjoyed in the future. Some of the bigger games will continue, I assume Capcom will try to resell DVZ at some point. But the lesser known ones probably won't. Pic related, one of the most sadistically fun puzzle games you've never heard of.
>>
>>3400121
>I don't understand why they scrapped one of the most iconic mechanics from the original game.
Look at >>3399350 for your answer
>Transforming is fast
And while they're straw manning the "casual" angle, the reality is impatience. Shantae is a slow game, modern players don't like slow
>>
>>3400317
Slow is fine. Slow and uninteresting is a chore.
>>
>>3398335

The shantae series as a whole is well animated with fucking gr8 music and some good characters, but the gameplay is always a little off and really fucking annoying.
>>
File: earlydsi.png (66KB, 571x894px) Image search: [Google]
earlydsi.png
66KB, 571x894px
>>3400238
I found a pack of dsiware roms (but no rabi lady, unfortunately). No$gba has very early dsi emulation now.
afaik, the roms can be converted and installed on a hacked 3DS too.

So dsi preservation is a bitch right now, but it should get better.
>>
File: 1449348360854.png (276KB, 405x349px) Image search: [Google]
1449348360854.png
276KB, 405x349px
>>3400021
k
>>
>>3400448
That is encouraging. So far my DS is still going strong, but I know it won't last forever.
>>
>>3400357
Agree. The dungeon design in Shantae is amazing, and that's more or less a staple of the series (except that Half Genie Hero is going full action platformer- Wayforward are seriously out of touch). However, the overworld portions of the game are just a total slog and filled with really uninspiring obstacles. I, for one, really enjoy the physics, dungeons, expanded combat, and dance system of the original game, but gat dam is that game hard to get behind.
>>
File: 1470085410979.jpg (55KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
1470085410979.jpg
55KB, 500x669px
>>3400468
y
>>
>>3398335
Dull metroidvania full of backtracking and grinding. Dance animations take far too long. Only notable because it has the best graphics on the GBC.
>>
>>3400217
>censored ports like Pokemon Red/Blue on the virtual console
Wait, those are censored? How?

>>3400238
There are a lot of "muh free market" types who oppose emulation on the grounds that it violates copyright.
But, these are the same kind of sociopaths who say things like "water is not a human right."
>>
>>3401102
>Wait, those are censored? How?
I think some battle effects don't flash as much.
>>
>>3401102
Jynx is not black anymore. She used to look mysterious, like her real face was covered in shadows or something. But now she looks dumb as hell.

I don't really give a shit about Jynx, but this is not preservation. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed a couple of random trainer lines too, to avoid accidental innuendos.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.