[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think that this was a cool aesthetic for GBC games? Would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: b32069a4df.png (139KB, 1057x569px) Image search: [Google]
b32069a4df.png
139KB, 1057x569px
Do you think that this was a cool aesthetic for GBC games? Would you want to see an indie game that looks like this?
>>
Honestly yes, this aesthetic is one of my favorites
>>
Yes and maybe. I would like to see indie games trying something new.
It seems that every indie game is ripping off some old game or paying homage that something the creator likes. And then they slap the tag "retro", as if retro was a style.
And they usually don't understand how retro graphics worked, so they think retro is shitty looking amateur pixel-art.

How about something new?
>>
>>3394335
That's a gba game, not retro.
>>
File: cyclops_lover[1].gif (9KB, 319x199px) Image search: [Google]
cyclops_lover[1].gif
9KB, 319x199px
>>3394335
Define 'this', limited color count + dithering + sprites bigger than 32x32?
>>
File: 4QgFYas.png (206KB, 900x560px) Image search: [Google]
4QgFYas.png
206KB, 900x560px
>>3394335
>>
>>3394348
No, pay attention. They're GBC sprites of GBA Pokemon.
>>
>>3394343
>I would like to see indie games trying something new.
I would like indie games to die off
>>
>>3394348
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>3395079

kill yourself. early games were ostensibly "indie." because some bad games are made by amateurs doesn't mean all amateur devs make bad games
>>
>>3394335
Great pic, thx for sharing

However, it bugs me a little… I think it uses the colors for antialiasing a bit too much. Also, some sprites look way too smooth for GBC—take #326 for example. It should be closer to #310
>>
>>3394348
You are sentenced to be sucked into Goatse.
>>
>>3395110
>too smooth
What? A GBC could easily display that. That sprite just uses dithering to make it look like it uses more colors than it actually does. It was a really common trick back in the day.

Remember, Pokemon GBC sprites are made up of 4 colors: pure black, pure white, and two custom colors. Because Grumpig's design is pretty much all purple and black, they can have the custom colors be different shades of purple, and use that to make the sprite look more detailed. For Pokemon whose designs have multiple colors, like Treecko there, they have to use those two colors conservatively: in this case, one color is green, the other is red. They don't have space for any other colors, so multicolored sprites look flat by comparison.
>>
File: raichu.png (760B, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
raichu.png
760B, 56x56px
>>3395173
Yeah I know, I meant to say that in Crystal they didn't use the 2 colors as a sort of antialiasing THAT much. I can see it only on very few most important/popular Pokemon, see picrelated (Raichu's tail). Otherwise, if you look at them, the main use for colors on the outlines is to show highlights.

In Crystal, the sprites were a bit more "crude" in appearance, with pixel "stairs" everywhere. This kind of dithering on OP'c pic looks way too smooth and accurate for it, giving the pokemon more 3D feel (like #326 on OP's pic) than the hand-drawn illustration feel. It's obvious the sprites were taken from Emerald, with the halftones reduced to dithering—maybe even with automated software.

Still, having seen Shantae, I guess GBC could totally display this. But I was referring more to following the Pokemon Crystal art style than GBC capabilities, although I agree I didn't make it clear in my reply.
>>
>>3394335
what aesthetic?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.