[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you enjoy unforgiving rogulikes with RPG elements, then you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: fatal labyrinth.gif (21KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
fatal labyrinth.gif
21KB, 320x224px
If you enjoy unforgiving rogulikes with RPG elements, then you're probably going to enjoy Fatal Labyrinth (Mega Drive / Genesis).

It's backstory is pretty cliche (ancient evil who awakened, etc) but i sincerely like the simplicity of the story.

Each floor inside the castle is dark at first, and there are corridors, but as you walk these corridors they will be lit up, and there are rooms, once you step into a tile the room will be fully illuminated, inside the rooms is where stuff happens because it is where the monsters and items are.
There are weapons, helmets, armors, shields, magic scrolls, magic rings and bows, and THIS IS WHERE THE GAME GETS HARDCORE:
Each floor is completely randomly generated, the monsters, items and rooms are all random everytime you step into a new floor
You can only see the attack and defense value of equipment once you wear them
Equipment doesn't last forever, can be broken by creatures and some weapons are cursed, though rare
There are many types of magic scrolls and rings with varying effects and powers, some can destroy creatures, boost your status or curse you and you can't possibly know what one type does unless you use it, if you try getting "info" on a scroll or ring that you never used before it'll say "????"
Some monsters can cast spells and attack from afar, if some creature casts sleep on you and you get swarmed, say goodbye
There are no save points, if you die you have to start everything over, there are 30 floors plus the final boss atop the castle
The game is turn based and walking, attacking or using/discarding an item will advance turns.
On top of it all, you also need to eat food you find inside the castle or your hp will start to drop, but if you each too much you'll get slowed down.

It's a fun game once you understand what you're doing, but it is VERY difficult, so try it out when you have time, or don't.
>>
>>3390890
It's a fun roguelike but I'm sure there's better out there
>>
>>3390890

Thanks for the rundown. Sounds fun.
>>
it's a fun game and worth a try for those who like roguelikes. there's also a somewhat-sequel on Game Gear called Dragon Crystal that's very similar.
>>
Doesn't the game have a bug where it will often "forget" to place a door in the area, preventing you from going to the next floor?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4SR8E9PZb8
>>
>>3390890
Thanks OP, never heard of it and I appreciate the description. It's kinda irritating when people make threads about lesser-known games but don't say a damn thing about them or why we should play them. Good thread!

>>3391065
The 95% of us who don't watch youtube e-celebs could not care less. Please don't derail yet another thread with this argument.
>>
File: 1439957860495.gif (918KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
1439957860495.gif
918KB, 246x246px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY7OkX2vGuk
>>
>>3390890
From what I played of it, I remember the floor generation being flawed and getting completely stuck a couple times.
>>
>>3391106
you have to search for hidden passages and doors.
Search. Every. Wall.
>>
>>3390890
Well it looks like the kind of game I'd have gone into the video rental shop and just stared at longingly at as a kid. I'll download it.
>>
>>3391035
I think it does not, you just have to hit every wall in a room to discover next room/stairs/etc
>>
>>3391035
I don't know. I once had a really good game going. Bumped into every wall to open the door. Died of starvation.
>>
File: Ashwara.png (739KB, 1229x941px) Image search: [Google]
Ashwara.png
739KB, 1229x941px
>>3390890
>weapons break

WHAT?! SO ALL THESE SPEARS AREN'T USELESS AFTER ALL??
>>
>>3390984
>Dragon Crystal
better, or worse?
>>
>>3394162
It's for Game Gear. That should be all you need to know.
>>
>>3394180
There are exceptions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>3394180
It was on sms first
>>
File: madman.jpg (27KB, 475x483px) Image search: [Google]
madman.jpg
27KB, 475x483px
>can die from over-eating
>>
File: fatal labyrinth2.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
fatal labyrinth2.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
OP here, thanks to all who replied, i didn't really expect that anyone would care but i decided to make the thread anyway because i played the game and enjoyed it.

No, there is no bug where the game doesn't generate the stairs for the next floor, i forgot to say that there are secret passages behind corridor walls. You find secret passages with "C", but you have to be facing the wall. Some rooms also have secret passages.

>>3391359
I had that Mega Drive III/Genesis with 30 games in-memory when i was a kid, and Fatal Labyrinth was one of them, so that's how i knew about the game. I played it once in a while at the time but i couldn't even reach the 10th floor, the game was so damn hard yet the RPG elements in it kept me interested.
I casually remembered about it a few weeks ago and put it on my backlog, decided to settle my grudge with this game by finally beating it after so many years.

The final battle was a disappointment though. The boss keeps casting "confuse" and "teleport" on you so there's little you can actually do other than press some directional and use healing items (you better save them for the final boss or you won't beat the game). Was good to finally beat it, even if the final battle was a let down.

>>3390984
>Dragon Crystal

Thank you, i'll put it on my backlog too and give it a try. I'd start playing it today but i already began playing Breath of Fire yesterday and the series has been on my backlog for a long time now.
>>
>>3390890
Fun fact
This game was designed by Hirokazu Yasuhara the lead game designer of Sonic 1/2/3K and the director of Sonic 3K
>>
Has anyone here other than the OP beaten it?
>>
>>3395715
Yes I played it recently and beat it, it's not that difficult after you learn the right spells or scrolls or whatever they are. The one that confuses the monsters I found to be the most valuable, when you get into a jam where the monsters are gang raping you you use the spell and can pick them off one by one as they wander around confused.
>>
>>3390890
Holy fuck, thank you.
For years I've been searching for the title of this game after seeing it when I was 4-5 years old at my cousins house only remember blue tile floors and the game over screen. Gonna download the rom and play the fuck out of it right now.
>>
>>3395732
I love that scroll, really useful for difficult situations.

>>3395736
You're welcome. Good luck.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.