[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I be playing Final Fantasy 2, 3, 5 (Anthology) English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: ff6 j.jpg (59KB, 600x495px) Image search: [Google]
ff6 j.jpg
59KB, 600x495px
Should I be playing Final Fantasy 2, 3, 5 (Anthology) English or 4, 5, 6 Japanese English Translation?
>>
That's Chinese.
If you care about the original meaning you should play it in Japanese.
>>
>>3390238
Learn Japanese for 10 years or just read the fan translation?
>>
>>3390254
Learn Japanese by playing games.
>>
>>3390254
Fan translation. IIRC it's pretty good.
>>
>>3390265
How carefully did you scrutinize it?
>>
FF4 fan translations are full of memes
>>
>>3390235
FF2's official English version on the GBA, or PSP if you like the look of it.
The FF3 NES fantranslation.
FF4's official English version on the GBA, or PSP if you like the look of it.
FFV GBA with the sound patch, the PSX translation is pretty bad and the load times are bad. Watch the FMVs online.
FFVI GBA with the sound and palette patches. Watch the FMVs online.

On a sidenote, FF3 and FF4's 3D versions are best left for second playthroughs but I personally think that at least in IV's case, the 3D version is the definitive version of the game. All the FF games have proper translations in one form or another so the only people that waste time retranslating them are autists that give them overly literal translations because "it's the original vision!" and people that inject memes into them.
>>
8th for woolsey translation is canon
>>
>>3390482
>FFVI GBA with the sound and palette patches.

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Perhaps it's just me, but I found the new GBA translation a little lacking, even if it is more accurate than the Woolsey one. Also, the music still doesn't sound as good as on the SNES, purely because the GBA's sound capabilities are more limited.

I would instead recommend the SNES version with the Woolsey Uncensored+Bugfixes patch. Better translation without any of the censorship, and lots of helpful tweaks and bugfixes.
>>
>>3390539

Yeah, as he stated, if you go for the "Restored" version the sound is the same on the SNES. You're not playing it on a GBA.

Considering the translation is better, more complete, it has more content, bug fixes... The Advanced Restored version is the definitive one
>>
>>3390553
The INSTRUMENTATION is the same, not the quality, regardless of whether you're emulating or not. Not to mention it's forced mono.

And if you prefer the GBA translation, there's a patch called FFVI Relocalized that basically copies that over with a few modifications and bugfixes.

Also, the extra content is very subpar. The Dragon's Den is tediously long, and the "Ultimate" weapons aren't all that great. In fact, half of them are actually worse than the original best weapons.

The only real improvement IMO is that the GBA version allows you to save after beating Kefka, which lets you keep the Ragnarok and Ultima Weapons you can steal from the third tier.
>>
>>3390606
The sound restoration hack for Final Fantasy VI advance has been upgraded to version 2.01. The hack has been completely redone from scratch, so that the music and sound effects are all directly taken from the SNES version, and sound almost identical. A better sound mixer program is used, so that the resulting sound is less noisy and the reverb sounds more like the original SNES reverb. The program also runs faster, frame-rate drops that were introduced in many places in the original GBA version are greatly reduced. This completes the project to restore the whole Final Fantasy Advance trilogy’s sound, in high quality directly from SNES’ sound data, including sound effects. All non-opera songs of the game sounds identical to their SNES counterparts.
>>
>>3390656
>sounds more like the original SNES reverb
>All non-opera songs of the game sounds identical to their SNES counterparts.
So it sounds better now, but still not completely as good as the SNES? Is it still GBA force mono? If you can just get the same translation patch for the SNES, why go through the trouble of the GBA version?
>>
Outside of details like item and enemy names being chopped due to size restrictions, and "Holy" being censored to "Pearl," is the original FF3/6 translation really that bad?
>>
>>3390895
holy was probably only changed becuase of the "muh religion" thing at NoA
>>
>>3390898
Yeah it definitely was the reason. I'm not sure why, but they were harshest with "muh religion" during the SNES era. I wonder what changed?

I recall there being crosses in CV III, but they were completely and utterly removed from Super.
>>
>>3390656
>>3390876
GBA: 8bit DAC
SNES: 16bit DAC

It will never sound as clear. Sorry.
>>
For FF6 you should be playing the FF3 US SNES romhack called Brave New World, it rebalances the game
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.