[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a good game. It's unbalanced as fuck though and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: mechwarrior-3_10.gif (115KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mechwarrior-3_10.gif
115KB, 640x480px
This is a good game.

It's unbalanced as fuck though and half impossible to run properly on modern rigs tho.
>>
>>3387284
It's the best Mechwarrior there is.

A couple of years ago I built a Windows 98 gaming rig primarily so I could play it again.

Totally worth it.
>>
God damn it. Didn't some other 16 bit z-buffer games get unofficial patches for modern PCs?
>>
>>3387284
>3 Ultra AC 5s
>An LBX5
>why
>2 small lasers
>why
>all in one group
>why

You can put in like, 8 medium lasers and a shitload of heatsinks and kill everything in one or two hits and still have room for more guns
>>
>>3387284
I got it to work on my Windows 7 PC, but now I'm afraid of trying to get it to run on the 10 one.

I assume noone has compiled a list of all the possible fixes for the physics and everything?
>>
>>3387284
>good game
>unbalanced as fuck
Those are literally opposing properties. A game that is unbalanced is not good by definition.
>>
>>3390535
What does it matter outside the multiplayer? Granted I haven't played this in ages but I'm sure you can avoid playing builds that make the game too easy if that's your concern.

I mean Crimson Skies had a thing where if you'd build a Balmoral with two twin .70 cal turrets and give it to the AI it'd win stages for you you could probably even pilot it yourself and win, but the game was still good despite those kind of exploits.
>>
>>3390523
HOW?!
>>
>>3387827
>16 bit z-buffer games
the what now?
>>
>>3392837
I'm pretty sure Z-buffering became a thing in late 90's, way after 16bit era? 16 bit 3d games like Doom and Starfox didn't use z-buffering to my knowledge.
>>
File: 1381258336484.png (124KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1381258336484.png
124KB, 640x480px
MechWarrior 3: Pirate's Moon is my favorite game in the series, and the music is flat out amazing.
>>
>>3390535
Demon's Souls is a good modern game that's "unbalanced" as fuck in PvP. Every build is so overpowered when min-maxed to SL120, that nobody is at a disadvantage.
>>
>>3393340
Doom uses a line based z-buffer, as I have learned. It also uses a 32-bit CPU. Mechwarrior 3 is also running on a 32-bit CPU, and a 32-bit operating system. It may also use a 3D accelerator, which uses a Z-buffer. I still have no idea what a "16-bit z-buffer" game is supposed to be, or why it needs patching
>>
>>3393815
Doom doesn't use z-buffer, the BSP trees with a fixed Y axis gives proper sorting with no overdraw.

16 bit z-buffer doesn't have anything to do with the bitness of a CPU, it's just the depth of the z-buffer. The more depth of a z-buffer the more accurate it is. If a z-buffer doesn't have enough depth then there is a risk of z-fighting.

16 bit z-buffer is very much outdated. It's a relic of the early 3D hardware acceleration era (Voodoo, N64, etc). Modern cards dropped support for it completely. However, MechWarrior 3 seems adamant to force it anyway, and this is why people are getting crashes. Other retro games seem content with a deeper z-buffer though.
>>
>>3393846
Your post was very helpful, thanks
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.