[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey boys Gimmick had the cool power and could have competed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 13

File: 55623-Gimmick!_(Japan)-4[1].png (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
55623-Gimmick!_(Japan)-4[1].png
55KB, 640x480px
hey boys

Gimmick had the cool power and could have competed with Kirby, Sonic and mario. Why did this game die?

Stuffed animal toy rescuing a lost girl

Throwing stars and skateboarding on them

and listen to that soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0GEcU63qw

how did this fail?

Why did faggot Crash Bandicoot make it but not the wonderful Mr. Gimmick?

I grew up with Crash too so stfu beforehand
>>
>>3387192
I didn't even know it was a choice between me gimmick coming out or crash bandicoot coming out
>>
It was an expensive cartridge to manufacture, which means it was always going to be difficult to make a lot of copies of.
>>
Came out late in the NES life. Didn't have that Nintendo notoriety.
>>
>>3387192
Because 1)no US release 2)the NES was already past its prime when it was released. Really though, even if it got an NA release I don't know if that would've piqued my interest as a kid, next to the SNES and its games.
>>
>>3387207
>Came out late in the NES life

this.
>>
>>3387206
>>3387207
>>3387215

is there any chance it can make a comback today?
>>
>>3387215

Somehow that didn't stop Kirby's Adventure or later Mega Man games.

Something I don't get is why the game wasn't picked up by a distributor. Wikipedia says they had trouble, but there were clearly games being released for the Famicom all the way into 1994 - so what the fuck happened?

On the other hand, there are parts to Gimmick! that I can totally understand might turn people off. For me, the game was difficult for all the wrong reasons.

The game's physics are an incredible feat for the Famicom, but in practice you slide around way too much and slopes in the game are fucking cancer. Hope you like careening into spike pits.

Worse, your only means of attack has a ridiculous charge-up time and bounces incredibly unpredictably, so in practice you have to memorize the level so you can have a charged up star ready to be let go ahead of time, otherwise you're fucked and are probably going to take a bullshit hit.

If I am in the mood to play a hard game, I'll play a game where I actually feel in control of my character, like Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, or Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>Somehow that didn't stop Kirby's Adventure or later Mega Man games

Because people already knew about Kirby and Megaman and knew that previous games were good. No one had heard of Mr. Gimmick when it came out.
>>
>never released in America
>very late release (1992 in japan, for reference the super famicom came out in 1990)
>had soundchip onboard which raised cartridge costs
>star mechanic had more depth/complexity than anything in mario/sonic/kirby to use your examples
It's an awesome game but it was never going to be a big hit like you think it could've.
>>
gimmick is an insanely hard game because of the physics and the mastery of them that is required (star surfing mostly), to get the good ending.

Also it was the only cart of the NES to use its specific sound chip I think? Although langrange point had a good one too, and is probably a reason it didn't come out outside of japan, due to manufacturing costs
>>
>>3387379
I believe Konami used the same chip for Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3) and Lagrange Point.
>>
>>3387234
It pretty much has. Cartridge copies of the game go for $400+. People know about it now and thanks to emulation more people have experienced it now than they ever would have otherwise.
>>
>>3387382
Akumajou Densetsu used Konami's in-house VRC6 chip. Lagrange Point used VRC7 and was the only game to use the VRC7 to its fullest potential. Japanese version of Tiny Toon Adventures 2 also used the VRC7 but it doesn't use the audio capabilities.

Gimmick! used Sunsoft's own FME-7.

You can read about the various chips used for NES games here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_management_controller
>>
>>3387408
Ah, I remembered the names being similar but I guess they were a bit different. Thanks.
>>
File: mr gimmick.png (13KB, 252x458px) Image search: [Google]
mr gimmick.png
13KB, 252x458px
>>3387192
It's not super popular because it didn't get a worldwide or big release. However, it has been recognized as one of the greatest games of all time since release. Shigeru Miyamoto called it a "masterpiece", and Masahiro Sakurai commented that the game influenced the direction of Kirby (admitting the inspiration). Source http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/5795528/

>>3387379
It's actually not that hard once you've played it for a bit.
>>
>>3387207
>Came out late in the NES life.
End of thread.
>>
>>3387246
>Somehow that didn't stop Kirby's Adventure or later Mega Man games.

That's because

A Megaman already had several games on the NES when 4 till 6 came out and

B Kirby was already a popular character because of Kirby's Dream Land on the original Gameboy that got released one year before Adventure did.

Gimmick was a stand-alone game with no prequels. Not only that but like other Taito published games at that time it just wasn't advertised enough.
>>
>>3387725

>Shigeru Miyamoto called it a "masterpiece", and Masahiro Sakurai commented that the game influenced the direction of Kirby (admitting the inspiration).

holy shit

i can die happy, thank you
>>
File: fayoh_08.png (6KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
fayoh_08.png
6KB, 320x256px
I never heard of that game mang, and I even know FaYoh.
>>
File: whisper.png (428KB, 890x773px) Image search: [Google]
whisper.png
428KB, 890x773px
>>3387192
Because
>physics were slippery as fuck making navigating flat surfaces and ramps frustrating
>level design was fragmented and, despite having good ideas, could never be truly realized on the Famicom
>basic gameplay is far less pick-up-and-play than the games you mentioned, Gimmick-kun has no immediate "attack mode" (like Mario's jump, Sonic's roll/spinning jump) and the one attack he does have requires a relatively high amount of pre-planning
>far less content than even Mario 1
>>
>>3388689
Also:
>item implementation was sloppy and confusing, obviously limited by the Famicom controller
>>
File: gim.jpg (25KB, 250x224px) Image search: [Google]
gim.jpg
25KB, 250x224px
>>3388689
>>3388702
1. The platforming and controls are actually very precise. Your character never, slides besides on ice and slopes. You always in complete control.
2. The level design is as good as it gets for NES. It holds up very well even today.
3. A simple timed jump + star release can knock out most enemies in the game, including bosses.
4. Less content than Mario? It doesn't have as many levels, but obviously it has a lot more of everything else.
5. It's as simple and easy as it gets for NES. D-Pad plus one button.
>>
http://shmuplations.com/gimmick/

Interview from the composer of the game.
>>
File: 1458345458780.png (270KB, 509x501px) Image search: [Google]
1458345458780.png
270KB, 509x501px
>>3389120
>1. The platforming and controls are actually very precise. Your character never, slides besides on ice and slopes. You always in complete control.
Perhaps slippery was the wrong word. "Sticky" would be better. Yumetaro has a very slow rate of acceleration, especially when moving horizontally, and he's very heavy, leaving almost no room for error. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to personal preference.

>2. The level design is as good as it gets for NES. It holds up very well even today.
Arguable. Portions of levels don't flow into each other as they do in, say, Mario, and feel more like disconnected challenge rooms that are simply grouped together.. For example, the ice level begins with a slippery area that can be traversed by riding on an enemy, but immediately moves to a tight, compact fight against two minibosses afterwards, and the rest of the level is a vertical climb where you have to jump from spinning gear to spinning gear over spikes. The level's boss is a three-stage flying enemy that you fight from below.

>3. A simple timed jump + star release can knock out most enemies in the game, including bosses.
Depends. If Yumetaro is immediately above an enemy, then yes, but if he's anywhere else the player must consider the star's trajectory. If the player jumps too soon or too late, the star will bounce right over the enemy he is trying to hit, or, even worse, bounce off a wall and unintentionally carry Yumetaro to an unwanted location.

In addition, the star requires a moment to charge before it can be released, so the player also has to use time management so that the targeted enemy does not move out of the way.
>>
File: 1458407276912.png (654KB, 580x582px) Image search: [Google]
1458407276912.png
654KB, 580x582px
>>3389120
>>3389160
>4. Less content than Mario? It doesn't have as many levels, but obviously it has a lot more of everything else.

Mario 1 has
>32 levels
>a 2-player mode
>a New Game +
>saved high scores

Gimmick has
>six stages
>an extra stage that must be unlocked
>an opening and ending cutscene
>5. It's as simple and easy as it gets for NES. D-Pad plus one button.

Pressing up + B can become immediately troublesome in the heat of battle. Up can easily be pressed with B if a player is not paying attention and is trying to move to the right or left.

What makes this especially egregious is that the SELECT button could easily be used instead, but isn't used in-game at all.
>>
File: music sampler.png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
music sampler.png
4KB, 256x240px
Press start and select on the main menu to access a BGM selection.

Interesting.
>>
File: secret area.png (8KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
secret area.png
8KB, 256x240px
You get 1UPs from pushing item bottles together.

Don't cheat at this part!
>>
File: final level.png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
final level.png
4KB, 256x240px
Secret true final level. I hope you collected all of the hidden items.

This place is so beautiful...
>>
File: true ending.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
true ending.png
2KB, 256x240px
Sophia!

She's okay.
>>
File: true ending 2.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
true ending 2.png
2KB, 256x240px

>>
File: the end.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
the end.png
2KB, 256x240px
>>
>>3390302
>>3390305
>>3390306
Was it all just a dream?
>>
>>3387192
In the end, Crash fizzled out spectacularly.
>>
>>3387234
It has. People are paying outrageous prices for it.
>>
>>3390379
Too bad many of those people are horrid re-sellers.
>>
>>3387234
I think speedrunners kinda made it a little more known, honestly, its always a fairly popularish run despite how niche a game it is, at the GDQs.
>>
>>3390378
Spectacularly in which sense? Because he died horribly.
>>
>>3390517
>Speedrunners

Ugh. This game has had a cult since collecting became a "thing", and probably even before. Can't believe it was less than $100 about 6+ years ago too.
>>
>>3390372
It's all real.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.