[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>old console peripheral >plug it in >it adds an extra

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Nintendo-Famicom-Disk-System.jpg (3MB, 2920x2700px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-Famicom-Disk-System.jpg
3MB, 2920x2700px
>old console peripheral
>plug it in
>it adds an extra channel to the music to make it sound better

did this actually exist?
pic related, it's the FDS, which i know adds an extra channel. the one i'm thinking of had the music feature as its sole acclaim.
or am i just making shit up in my head
>>
>>3385750
FDS is Famicom *Disk* System and it was created to make Famicom accept floppies. Floppies were cheaper for the same size of storage for some time, so games would be cheaper.
Also, you could copy that floppy.
>>
>>3385754
i think perhaps you misread my initial post.
>>
>>3385750
32x had Q sound and Stereo PWM (Pulse Wave Modulation) mixing with Mega Drive sound; additional 2 channels (12 channels in total)
11-bit PWM, stereo PCM output

copied from sega retro. I read it was hard to code? and nobody really used it because they were rushed to get games to market.
>>
File: FMSoundUnit_2.jpg (87KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
FMSoundUnit_2.jpg
87KB, 640x480px
Sega Mark 3 FM Module. It was build in the Japanese Master System and never available for overseas models.
>>
>>3385765
i guess it might have been the 32x.
in my head i can just see some japanese console peripheral exclusive called the "SFX enhancer" or something, and literally all it did was improve the music.
i'm so sure it existed too
>>
>>3385767
YESSSS YOU BEAUTY
>>
I don't think it's what you're looking for, but some famicom games have a MMC5 chip that adds some channels
I believe castlevania used it
>>
>>3385768
was prob>>3385767

32x was a console that piggybacked the genesis.

Sega released an FM Unit for the Mark III to help combat the Mark III's audio inferiority. The FM Unit contained a YM-2143 2-op FM synthesis sound chip. After it was released, most Japanese games would support both the Mark III internal audio and the FM Unit's audio. Forty-one Japanese games supported the FM Unit. Only eighty-six games were released in Japan for the Mark III. When the system was re-released in Japan as the Sega Master System, the YM-2143 chip was built into the console.

Nintendo allowed for cartridges to contain extra sound chips. which could mix their audio with the internal Famicom audio. The first product that did this was the Famicom Disk System, whose RAM adapter included an extra sound channel. Seventy-five games for the Famicom Disk System are known to support the expansion audio channel, and about 190 games were released for the add-on.

After the fad for the Disk System had died down, other Nintendo licensees who has the license to make their own cartridges included audio hardware in some of their games : Konami, Sunsoft, Jaleco, Bandai, Jaleco, Namco(t). Even Nintendo got in the act with its MMC5 chip. Twenty-six Japanese games support some form of expansion audio. However, approximately 1,055 cartridge games were released for the Famicom. Fortunately, a list of every game and the chip they use and every disk game supporting expansion audio can be found here : http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/List_of_games_with_expansion_audio
>>
>>3385773
>>3385767
yes indeed.
thanks lads, that was driving me nuts.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.