[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that ebay auctions for retro games always go for absolutely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot_2016-07-26-08-24-47.png (240KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-26-08-24-47.png
240KB, 480x800px
Why is it that ebay auctions for retro games always go for absolutely ridiculous prices?
>>
File: 1386593328333.jpg (20KB, 469x354px) Image search: [Google]
1386593328333.jpg
20KB, 469x354px
Because there's a lot of other late bandwagon jumpers, like you, who came late to the party, and ruined everything for everyone else.
>>
>>3384701
Literally demand. Auctions embody everything with how much people are willing to pay. To some people it's downright crazy, but to others it's how much they're willing to pay just to get a piece of entertainment. May it be shit or otherwise.
>>
more demand than supply.
>>
I buy a lot of old guides an artbooks of ebay and you have to fight the sellers to get a decent price.

Not sure how they even quantify the worth of a guide.
>>
>>3384709
Look man, I just want to play some cool games, that I have every right to play. I'm not trying to ruin it for anyone.
>>
>>3384701
because that's actually a rare game, dipshit and it still has the manual and case in decent condition. Not to mention that's how auctions work.
>>
>>3384709
>my precious and unique hobby of collecting mass produced goods.

>>3384757
Get an Action Replay and turn it into a PseudoSaturn cart so you play burnt games to play these games. You can also get a mod chip.
>>
>>3384757
emulate then, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>3384786
I am already using PseudoSaturn, but I also enjoy owning the physical copies.
>>3384795
Why would I use imperfect emulation when I can just play on the actual hardware that I own?
>>
>>3384798
then pay the 160. If you want to own physical copies of rare, japan-only games like that, be prepared to pay up, faggot, otherwise get another hobby
>>
>>3384783
>>3384795
Wow, there's no need to be so salty.
>>
>>3384701
https://www.aeaweb.org/resources/students/what-is-economics

This is probably a good place for you to start, OP.
>>
>>3384803

Dude. Really? You expect someone to PAY the going rate for a game? Really? I mean it's not like he/she isn't just trying to get at a lower price and flip it either.
>>
>>3384715
>I buy a lot of old guides an artbooks of ebay and you have to fight the sellers to get a decent price.

Those things are really only in demand from the actual fans of the games so it's a bit easier to get. Ive bought several breath of fire and lunar ones for decent prices
>>
>>3384715
>Not sure how they even quantify the worth of a guide.

Whatever someone will pay for it.
>>
>>3384701
Because they aren't making any more of them. Physical collecting isn't worth it anymore unless you're wealthy and bored.
>>
>>3384709
Yes because it's literally impossible for someone to just not know about every game as they came out let alone buy it. How dare they discover or wanna play something they haven't yet on their console they had for 20 years in 2016.
>>
because people with more money than you want it too. It seems extreme but if you had 4x your income it would be the same as paying $40 for the game
>>
File: 1426942835865.gif (576KB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1426942835865.gif
576KB, 180x200px
>>3384701
Sad part is, the fools bidding on this game pushed the price up higher than other copies of the game available at BIN prices.
>>
>>3384963
Wouldn't surprise me if they're just fake accounts by the auctioner to either get other bidders to bid at the price they really want or hope that by having a fake winner at an absurd price it will cause the people listing it at BIN to also increase their price thus further getting them to sell their copy at the price they really wanted.
>>
>>3384963
B-b-b-but muh supply and demand! Retro games are a perfect market that isn't in any way driven by uneducated and impulsive buyers who would literally pay the same thing for a bootleg that they would for the real deal because they don't have a clue about the market!

This is why I like collecting prototypes. They were minimally produced and I can hoard the data while newbies scramble to overpay for mass-produced carts that you can download anywhere.
>>
>>3384992
People being retarded with their money doesn't suddenly not make it supply and demand.
>>
>>3384701
Elevator Action Retuns for the Saturn = $250.00. What. The. Fuck.

Also, the MSX computers are at a price I can afford now, but the game prices have fucking skyrocketed.
>>
>>3384812
You sound like an actual child

>i want things to be cheap and convenient but also exactly the way i want
>>
>>3384969
shill bidding actually isn't common these days because the risk of getting caught hugely outweighs the reward
>>
>>3384701
You could have baited harder if you had posted a Cotton game w/ teacup.
>>
>Was a time when /vr/ seemed like the least shitty board
>This thread
>>
>>3384992
>This is why I like collecting prototypes
teach me your ways senpai, I'd love to get into prototype collecting but I have no idea where to look
>>
>>3386193
I think that post was sarcastic
>>
File: On_the_bed_to_sleep_with.jpg (691KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
On_the_bed_to_sleep_with.jpg
691KB, 2592x1944px
I remember working a part time job back then and getting a game or two every couple months. I remember getting the brand new Cotton 2 for $66 (shipped) and Boomerang was $35. I still fondly remember the 90s styled webpages. I even remember when eBay was so new, it wasn't even its own domain yet and every account was the e-mail address, visible to all. I think OP is just cherrypicking, because there are lots of games that are still dirt cheap even on eBay now.
>>
Because selling on ebay is selling to hundred of thousands of people, so youre more likely to reach someone with more money than brains. Then you get people who dont have set price limits and get into bidding wars with other idiots or, potentially, shill bidders.
>>
>>3384701

Wow, I should really get around to selling my copy of Cotton Boomerang if the going price is close to what I'm seeing in that auction.
>>
>>3384701

Because stuff is worth whatever people will pay for it and newbies with no sense of the market will pay whatever number they see, creating a sales history at that price which is how the next seller decides what to list at and how the next buyer decides what to bid.
>>
>>3386195
That's the thing. These scams people come up with work all of once or a maybe a handful of times before it becomes real obvious what's going on.
>>
>>3388030
I'll buy your copy instead anon...
>>
>>3384757
>I just want to play some cool games, that I have every right to play. I'm not trying to ruin it for anyone.
You and everyone else who joined the party late.
>>
>>3384798
Beggars can't be choosers.
>>
>>3384992
Proto-hoarders are the biggest fucking scum in this whole hobby. Please save us from your presence and go jack off at ASSEMblerGames with the rest of your fuckbuddies, and brag about how you leave your undumped games EPROM chips exposed on purpose.
>>
>>3384786
Already done it and never have felt remorse for burning a 400 dollar game. Thats complete bullshit to pay that kind of money on a plastic disc that was mass produced. You know what I could do with r00 dollars?!?! I could buy fucking food for 4 months for my self or pay the bills. Fuck being legal. Im gonna pirate that shit cuz normals making it fucking ridiculous. Plus the ups and games aren't even on digital download. They put me in a condition to buy a 400 dollar game or pirate. Easily the best and logical choice for any same person is to burn those tickets and enjoy them like the developers wanted you too. They don't care cuz nobody distributed their games anymore.
>>
>>3384701
I'm watching some of this guys other auctions. He's got some good shit. May be some hoarder that got bored.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.