[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anybody help me out? I'm trying to get my game on with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: seident[1].gif (8KB, 408x208px) Image search: [Google]
seident[1].gif
8KB, 408x208px
Can anybody help me out? I'm trying to get my game on with the DOS mode on my Win98SE PC, but whenever I load a DOS game it loads up and immediately goes to a black screen. I've tried it with Might and Magic 3 and with the 1989 freeware port of Mille Bornes. This happens whether game runs in DOS prompt through Win98 or if it reboots to DOS mode. The video feed isn't being ended though, the monitor light still stays green and no sleep mode occurs. Anybody know why this would be happening?
>>
If you're launching from inside of windows, could be the case. Some DOS games didn't like to play nice with the video and sound cards if windows was running at the time. May need to boot right in to dos.

But my real suggestion is to just run the game in DOSBox on a modern PC. 99% of the time it just werks. No tweaking or fucking around.
>>
oh yeah, I'm using a P4 processor, nvidia geforce 200 MX on AGP, and a gateway onboard sound card (because I can't seem to get any sound card to work on it).
>>
>>3382887
Yeah, that's true. I just especially want to run them on a classic hardware setup if I can.
>>
>>3382891
A Pentium 4 is way, way too fast for most native DOS games, they are really picky when it comes to CPU speed. Chances are the game is just crashing to a black screen.

There are "slowdown" utilities like MoSlo that might help, but those come with their own set of problems.

Either just use DOSbox like that other anon said, or get a hold of a 486 computer. (Early Pentium 1 works too but that's around when you start running into issues with some very old games)
>>
File: sisadmin6.jpg (529KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
sisadmin6.jpg
529KB, 1920x1440px
It crashed because the VTEC kicked in, yo!
Just hit that turbo button.
>>
Just use dosbox.
>>
>>3382867
Do you take that thing online, or is that as dangerous as I've heard?
>>
>>3383220
I do, I don't have any personal info on it so I don't worry at all. Firefox 2 is about the newest browser I can use on 98.
>>
>>3382923
>(Early Pentium 1 works too but that's around when you start running into issues with some very old games)

Pentium 1 will work for the vast majority of DOS games made after 1986.
>>
>>3382867
>Windows 98
>Pentium 4
Wat. Ain't no fuckin' PCs still shipped with 98 by the time the P4 came out.
>>
>>3382867
Maybe you could ask on Vogons; they'd be more helpful than this place.
>>
>>3383276
I picked it up secondhand from a music store, the store looks like it bought an XP box and put 98SE on it. I can only assume it was a case where they needed software that wasn't supported on XP yet. That's how things seem to go with small business enterprise.
>>
>>3383046
>VTEC kicked in, yo!

Holy mother of old memes, Batman.

Next you're gonna tell me a master is out.
>>
>>3382887
>Some DOS games didn't like to play nice with the video and sound cards if windows was running at the time
I only ever encountered like one game that fucked up when I ran it from Windows.
>>
>>3383314
Not him, but thrust vectoring owns the skies.
>>
>>3382867
>>3382891
>nvidia geforce 200 MX
I totally wouldn't know if this one has drivers for 98SE, but yeah you better head on over to vogons. Those guys know everything. Also I've tried doing what you're doing on a P4, it's a mess.
http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/
https://www.vogons.org/
>>
>>3383381
I did ask on Vogons, but haven't gotten a response yet.

It does look like trying to run DOS on a P4 is just a bitch in general, I might end up tracking down an old laptop and running dos programs on that instead. Or maybe just giving in and using DOSBox. Shame that it seems such a pain to use original hardware.
>>
>>3383474
>I might end up tracking down an old laptop and running dos programs on that instead

Good luck finding a 90s laptop in decent working condition. Also...

>using laptops for gaming to begin with

>Or maybe just giving in and using DOSBox

This is the correct solution.
>>
>>3383276
What has that got to do with anything?
>>
>>3383687
probably wondering how I got a computer with 98 but a P4.

Would also probably help to explain why some things are screwy.
>>
>>3383474
>>3383474
>It does look like trying to run DOS on a P4 is just a bitch in general

It's not actually that hard, but you generally don't have ISA slots on those motherboards and also you have to use a PS/2 (or serial) mouse and keyboard, not USB ones.
>>
>>3383938
well I do have P/S2 peripherals so no problem there.

And yeah, not 100% but I'm pretty sure I only have PCI and AGP slots in this box.
>>
>>3383948
The most important peripheral for running DOS games is an ISA sound card. Some PCI cards can emulate that and be accessible from DOS, others are not. Otherwise, P4s still have the oldskool ROM BIOS and IDE hard disk/CD drive. The ISA slots are the one vital piece of infrastructure missing.
>>
>>3383950
I see, I'll have to make sure I get that. My problem before with a soundblaster 2 was that the onboard audio seemed to conflict with the SB. I couldn't ever get the SB driver to install correctly even when I got my hands on a physical disk.
>>
It's possible I suppose to create a 2GB or smaller partition on a hard disk and install DOS 6.22 on it, although the memory management tools like HIMEM.SYS have a ceiling of like 64MB when most P4s have 512MB-1GB of RAM.
>>
>>3383965
No DOS stuff can use that much memory so it's not really a concern.
>>
>>3382923
I had a Pentium 1 60mhz and game speed really wasn't an issue, even for 80s shit. I barely ever used the turbo button.
>>
>>3384372
Like I said, most stuff made from about 1987 onward uses the timer chip and not the CPU for speed.
>>
>>3383274
Games compiled with Borland Pascal crap out on faster Pentiums (>200 mhz), for those you need a patch.
http://mtech.dk/thomsen/program/pasbug.php
>>
>>3386017
What games would those be?
>>
>>3383276
I upgraded my 98SE machine to P4 before finally moving forward in 2008 because I needed the software for school. It's actually pretty sweet to have the highest hardware the OS will ever be capable of running under the hood.

Personally didn't have any problem running DOS games, though I was mostly just playing the SSI D&D games.
>>
I have a question. I've just gotten into DOS gaming and built a 486 DOS machine. I was wondering if games for DOS are region locked?
I'm looking to Daggerfall from the US but I live in Australia, which naturally would not be the same region.
>>
>>3383276
You're joking right?
Windows 98 SE the best version of it was released in April 23, 1999.
The first P4 was released in November 20, 2000.

Windows 98 was one of the most popular versions of Windows and sure as fuck didn't die in less than three years since it's release. Windows XP didn't come out til 2001 anyway and it didn't magically replace computers instantly for most people and it took a while for it to pick up. People were definitely using Win 98 and Win 2K when Pentium 4's were released.

>>3383965
Typical ram for early P4's was not 512-1GB. While possible that was extremely cost prohibitive for most people. It was more like 64-128MB. RDR was more expensive than SDRAM and usually had less for the cost and most people had significantly less than what you 'could' put in a machine. Even then SDRAM wasn't usually had in heavy quantities. Back in 2000 I had 768MB of ram that costed 700 dollars. Not a single other person I knew of had anywhere near that, it was 7x what most people had. Even my 384MB of ram in 1999 was significantly more than most enthusiasts and typical computers sold were half what they had. RDRAM for a P4 of that era would have cost twice as much even. Quake 3 was released on December 1999. It's minimum specs were 64MB of RAM and recommended was 128MB. RtCW in 2001 had a minimum of 128MB and recommended was 256 MB. UT2K3 had the same recommended.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.