[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sorry if this has been asked before, but anyway. How could Nintendo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Virtual_Boy.jpg (136KB, 971x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Virtual_Boy.jpg
136KB, 971x1000px
Sorry if this has been asked before, but anyway.

How could Nintendo give a green light to a console which literally gave a headache to the players? Did they even conduct product testing? I guess 9 out of 10 people would say Virtual Boy was simply hard on the eyes, not to mention red/black palette simply looked like atrocious.
>>
>>3382812
I finished Wario and Vertical Force, I never had a headache.
>>
>>3382820
But what about the red palette? How did it feel taking the thing off after several hours of play?
>>
>>3382832
-It's red.
-Nothing.
>>
File: vbwlwater.jpg (87KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
vbwlwater.jpg
87KB, 500x250px
>>3382812
>literally gave a headache to the players?

This isn't actually true. What some people might experience is motion sickness. These leds can do no harm to the eyes, the red light is actually kind of dim, not flashy. Yet it still very defined.
The problem most people have with the VB should be neck pain, because of the position you have to use it with the tripod stand, some people just rest it on their nose while they lay in bed, but that still kind of hurts the nose.
The controller is pretty fucking ergonomic, one of the best I've held.
Another issue is that VB has 2 switches you can adjust, the lens focus (which will vary from person to person depending on your own sight), and the IPD (inter pupil distance), which also will change from person to person. A lot of people that might try the VB and doesn't know about it will have difficulty focusing and that might add headaches, but that can be solved with proper adjusts.
>>
>>3382841
Hm, ok. I often see anecdotal claims that it actually did, so I assumed they actually had some substance but they could as well be memes

>>3382850
Hm ok, thanks for clarifying. I myself haven't even seen one IRL, but saw many anecdotal claims the console was hard on the eyes
>>
>>3382812
2 reasons for the red and black display:
1. LEDs were still kinda pricey, and red LEDs are the cheapest.
2. Adding more color means more LEDs are needed, which increases price and processing power needed to drive the display.

The real thing that causes headaches is the fact that the display is actually a line array of LEDs that is swept back and forth by a mirror.
Incorrect IPD can also cause eyestrain.
>>
>>3382856
You called a console you've never played headache-inducing? That's just low.
>>
>>3382812
I bought one for 20 bucks when they were on their way out. Mario Tennis and Wario were actually really good. I threw it away a long time ago because it was inconvenient to transport.
>>
>>3383439
>the display is actually a line array of LEDs that is swept back and forth by a mirror
CRTs work the exact same way except much brighter, yet nobody complains about getting headaches from them.
>>
>>3383458
CRT's also run much faster and have phosphors that continue to glow even after the electron gun is no longer firing at them.
>>
File: hmvb.jpg (53KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
hmvb.jpg
53KB, 500x375px
I don't blame you, the meme has been alive for very long.
It's a catch-22, though - the last thing we need is an e-celeb making a 2,000,000 view YouTube video where they explain how "Virtual Boy wasn't as bad as you think" even though that's the only way to make the normies discover the truth.

The neck pain issue has some truth to it, though. Wish they had gone with a design like pic related but oh well.
>>
>>3383489
What are you talking about? The VB's refresh rate is 50Hz like a PAL TV.
>>
File: 1291115264983.jpg (16KB, 280x297px) Image search: [Google]
1291115264983.jpg
16KB, 280x297px
/vr/ best board
>>
>>3383505
Yeah, the screen refreshes at 50hz, but the way it does is much different.

CRT screens scan line by line at ~16khz, completing a frame every 1/50 of a second.
The phosphors also tend to glow for a short period before the next screen refresh.

The VB scans all 244 of it's lines at once at a 50hz frequency.
However, since it has no phosphors, it depends entirely on persistence of vision to work, which can cause eye strain.
>>
I still feel like we are missing out not to use the 3DS for a Virtual Boy Virtual Console.
>>
>>3384114
There's hope on the homebrew front
>>
I've never had issues with mine.

People tend to over exaggerate when talking about video games, since it's such a mundane topic for boring losers.
>>
By this thread, it seems there were a lot of lies surrounding the VB.

Where those lies to blame for VB's failure? Or there's more?
>>
>>3384156
Nah.

It's not a bad console, but It wasn't really great enough to justify it's high-ish price when it was released.

The small library didn't help either.
>>
>>3382832
>The GameBoy has a green/gray palette. How did it feel?

You see, most negative arguments about it, are from people(aka Hipsters) who never even tried playing with it and just take the same bullshit opinions like everyone else.

The only thing which is sorta true is about batteries. But also thats not a real argument against it because 1. there is a AC adapter, 2. most modern rechargeable batteries from good producers last quite long.
>>
Are there any tools for Virtual boy homebrew?

Or a flashcart / documentation on how the cart works?
>>
3D was the real upcoming province for video games in the mid 90s. This was a rush to make "portable" gaming 3D. Or course it tanked so bad we didn't really see 3D handheld games until GBA.
>>
>>3384760
Check planetvb.com.

There's a flashcart you can buy, it's called the FlashBoy+. It only supports one game at a time for some reason, but at least it has save support.

The Virtual Boy actually has a pretty big homebrew scene. I think there are more homebrews than actual games, so a flashcart is a must if you're a fan of the system.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.