[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best way to play retro consoles on your HDTV wit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: samsung-hdtv.jpg (49KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
samsung-hdtv.jpg
49KB, 1500x1500px
Is this the best way to play retro consoles on your HDTV without a Retron/Framemeister/terrible hdmi converter?

https://youtu.be/IBejpWDw-us?t=1m20s
>>
Is what the best way? No one is going to click that link.
>>
>>3380857
whatever it is the answer is no.
>>
>>3380892
>>3380893
I tried to add a time shortcut in the link I put. Oh well, just skip to 1:20.

tl;dw: He's basically putting his Super Nintendo through s-video through a DVD Burner (which has the ability to upscale) and outputs it to component, and apparently it looks pretty good. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this.
>>
>>3380898
>DVD Burner
What exactly is DVD Burner? I only get software and PC drives looking it up on Google.
Any DVD player with recording feature?
>>
>>3380898
Even if it looks good, the input lag would be so bad you couldn't play anything. It's CRT or Framemeister, that's it. If you're playing only RPGs and don't mind the video quality LCDs are fine.
>>
>>3380905
>DVD Burner
I guess I didn't use the right terminology. It's like a DVD Re writable Recorder.
>>
>>3380898
yes if it is upscaling it it will look better. hd lcds still look like shit no matter what tho. Dont get me wrong I think the Framemeister is overpriced garbage as well with fake scanlines on an lcd is stupid.
>>
>>3380907
>Framemeister
Specifically the XRGB-3, not the XRGB-mini, since the latter adds quite a bit of input lag on top of whatever your TV has. The OSSC looks pretty interesting if can deal with the lack of composite input... and if you can ever actually buy one.
>>
>>3380930
Yeah, I feel that about the OSSC. I need composite since I'm a Famicomfag, but the XRGB-3 is just too fucking expensive. My dying PVM will have to do for now.
>>
>>3380930
>since the latter adds quite a bit of input lag on top of whatever your TV has.
I don't have either device, but I'm pretty sure that's not how that works.

I think maybe if you were using some kind of particular settings on the mini you could introduce extra input lag, but either framemeister model should reduce input lag by shaving off time wasted by your tv's internal scaler, right?
>>
>>3380957
The XRGB-mini is known and has been tested to add about 2.5 frames of input lag due to the processing it performs. TVs vary, but they will typically add another couple of frames on top of that simply due to the nature of how LCDs work, so you're looking at a total of like 5+ frames of lag, which is a lot.

The XRGB-3 has a mode that allows it to act as a simple line-doubler and operates with effectively zero lag, so the only lag is whatever your TV introduces, which is typically not a big deal unless you're playing Punch Out or something.

The best option is still a CRT.
>>
>I want to play retro games on a non-retro display but I don't want to spend a lot of money
Then emulate, Dumbfuck. You're giving up more authenticity already with the HDTV than you will by emulating the consoles. It's not going to get any LESS legit to purists and from a practical, moderate perspective it's actually better.
>>
>>3380976
Any decent LCD has less than a frame of input lag when not scaling
>>
How many frames of lag does a GBS-8200 have?
1-2?
>>
>>3381174
That's not remotely true. Check out some actual test data. Most LCDs, and IPS panels in particular, will have 1-2 frames of lag at least, regardless of input resolution. Low-lag IPS panels exist, but unless you're specifically looking for one, chances are you don't have one. TN panels are better in terms of lag, but the picture quality is ass.

And that's just when you're talking about PC monitors. Actual TVs often have horrendous input lag, often on the order of 3-4 frames. If it has a "game mode" that will sometimes help, but even then you're usually better off with a PC monitor.
>>
>>3381190
1 frame is 16ms

theres are 8 and 4 ms IPS panels
stop talking out your ass
>>
>>3381203
>stop talking out your ass
Right back at ya:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

As you can see, yes, there are low-lag IPS panels (not 4 ms though, lmao). Unless you're specifically shopping for them, though, chances are you don't have one. And again, as you can see, actual TVs are usually much worse.
>>
File: RetroN_5_Gray.jpg (52KB, 600x384px) Image search: [Google]
RetroN_5_Gray.jpg
52KB, 600x384px
>>3380857

This upscales games and it's running games on native ARM architecture
>>
Use an emulator, or just buy a crt and deal with it.
>>
>>3380857
The best way to play retro games on an HDTV is through an emulator on a PC connected to the TV through the highest quality video input available at the highest resolution available.

From there use the shaders and filters you prefer to achieve the best image. If the TV supports high refresh rates you may also want to look into black frame insertion.

Framemeisters are for idiots who either can't configure an emulator properly, or who can't make up their mind between going full modern or old school.

But if you're going to go any trouble I have one thing to say:

Just buy a fucking CRT.
>>
>>3381265
Second. Also you can get Cheap towers like core2duo era cheap on ebay, or even early core i3/i5/i7 towers. Max out the ram, install linux and you can make a very capable emulation box.
>>
>>3380898
Depends on the quality of all the bits involved. You might get it looking "pretty good" but with horrible lag. There is no good way to do it.

>>3380905
>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

>>3381203
So now that you've proved you don't understand how video works and are just rattling off some numbers you can stop posting, right?
>>
>>3381265
This seriously.

I picked up and RCA TruFlat (desk and retro gamenights with friends) and a Sony Trinitron (for the home) for 2.50 a piece on half off day at Goodwill. Bought a returned Retron 3 (Person who bought it returned it because it didn't work with their HDTV). Now for a about 45 bucks I can retro game on the go without pulling all my hardware around.

For rare shit that I don't want to buy or can't find I can play on retroarch (seriously isn't that fucking hard to work. I still don't know how people have trouble with it), MAME, PCSX2 or Dolphin.
>>
I'm pretty new to methods of displaying retro games, and I've looked around in the CRT thread and the pastebin and I can't really decide what I want/what's best for me.

If I intended to emulate primarily (I'm also looking into flash carts and mods for the hardware I do actually have though) I have a Lenovo Y580 Ideapad, and it seems like it handles most of what I want, certainly most retro things I want. If I wanted to display most of it well, is >>3381265 right, and I just have to learn how to configure specific emulators really well (right off of the laptop screen)? Or should I get my HDMI cable, some sort of converter and put it into a CRT?
>>
File: 1467883267636.jpg (79KB, 582x645px)
1467883267636.jpg
79KB, 582x645px
Bought one of those chinese HDMI 1080p upscalers and truly what a piece of shit. You can barely read the text.

Doesn't have any input lag, or at least I don't feel any. Will do until I can get a decent CRT. Getting a decent one without getting scammed in this shitty country is pretty hard.
>>
>>3381248
>native ARM architecture
u wot m8
Also, that controller is a piece of shit and wireless.
>>
>>3381248
It doesn't upscale..
simply dumps the rom and emulates
>>
dvdo iscan plus v2 or (hd), composite, s-video (and component) input line doubler that handles single field sources okay. I have a tbc line doubler in my a/v reciever. it looks good stationary but flickers when acually playing. Most equipment not meant for gaming doesn't handle 240p well at all.
>>
tl;dr: You need a CRT to get the best retro games experience.
>>
is there anything wrong with retrons? I have one that has slots for SNES and NES games and it has given me zero issues.
>>
>>3383360
It's an overpriced emulator with a shitty controller. If you want an emulator, why not just get a Raspberry Pi or just use the PC you already have?
>>
>>3380857
>the best way to play retro consoles on your HDTV
Use an emulator.
>>
>>3383638
yup wii with component cables and a snes to gc wired controller, the wireless controller has a bit of lag
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.