[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Slime dropped a chest! >Hero opens the chest. >What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 590
Thread images: 109

File: dq5mildras.jpg (100KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dq5mildras.jpg
100KB, 800x600px
>Slime dropped a chest!
>Hero opens the chest.
>What luck! A Dragon Quest thread!
>There's no more space in Hero's inventory.
>Hero placed the Dragon Quest thread in his bag.

Last thread >>3359808
>>
>>3380395
ONly ever played Dragon Warrior and Sentinels of the Starry Sky, loved them both, where do i go from here?
>>
>>3380412
Hand of the heavenly bride is fun. Even though I'm stuck on the first quest(ghost mansion) I know it's just a matter of grinding to beat it but ugh grinding is so boring now

I've beaten all the final fantasiesup to 10-2, chrono trigger and cross and all fallout outs except fo4. and I'm just tired of grinding...
>>
>>3380412
If you've played the first game and you liked it, move on to the second. The SFC remake has glitches, so either play the NES original or the GBC remake. III is also a great choice if you like IX.
>>
>>3380412
V for story, III for gameplay
>>
Which DQ is the one with Torneko in it? I've been meaning to play that one
>>
>>3380437
Can't you just google Torneko?
>>
>>3380437
IV
>>
>>3380437
Four. He also has two spin-offs games of his own, but you should play four before you play those.
>>
>>3380438
I don't like spoilers
>>
>>3380431
Not him, but what's up with DQII SNES?
>>
dragon quest should be a home console game like the originals were intended
>>
>>3380468
Yeah sure buddy, and I bet Polnareff ends up in a wheelchair too
>>
>>3380483
good thing the next one's coming out on PS4 and NX
>>
>>3380484
You got that copypasta? /a/ won't cough it up.
>>
Is VII worth playing if I'm not THAT big into plot and just want a good game system?

I really liked III and a bit less VI. Also I beat IX and maxed most vocations—the plot felt kinda needless and unimaginative though. IV was alright, but the DS ports had this dumb graphic style outside of battles with weird acidic colors and overall weird feeling of a 2D game turned 3D.

I expected V to be really amazing, given it had monster recruitment, but I gave it up eventually—just too much story with too little in terms of gameplay. Also, that DS graphic style again.

I heard VII takes an eternity before you even fight for the first time—is it another "plot>gameplay" DQ?
>>
>>3380507
VII is a huge game and it has everything, there is a lot of plot focus but it also has a Job system that's very similar to VI's system, except with even more options. The thing is VII is a 100+ hour game, and you don't get access to the job system until probably 20-25 hours into it.

VII took everything that makes DQ series what it is and put it on steroids, both in terms of story and gameplay. It's a good game but you'll need to commit a lot of time to it.
>>
>>3380535
Oh shit, thanks for warning me. I guess I'm not ready for such commitment yet

Does it bring anything radically new gameplay-wise?
>>
All Dragon Quest games suck.

Final Fantasy is superior in literally every way.
>>
>>3380431
The SFC remake doesn't have glitches. The translation patch has glitches.
>>
>>3380543
Cool.
>>
>>3380395
damn indian goku looks pissed
>>
>>3380628
That's Egyptian Gohan
>>
File: Piano.png (213KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
Piano.png
213KB, 576x432px
Hey guys I found Baramos in Dragon Ball!
>>
>>3380643
Nose is too high
>>
>>3378497
I always named the bag "Bong".

>Hero placed the Herb in the Bong.

Continued doing this even after I stopped smoking weed because lol pothead humor.
>>
>>3380765
Well, not for DQ7 but for 3. Never played 7 because I'm afraid I'll fail at emulation. As in gee whiz I'm done with disk 1 its time to move on to disk 2 and then sadness because it doesn't work for whatever reason.
>>
>DQIV
Sackajawea
>DQV
Baguette
>DQVI
Bagrid

Can't wait for VII's remake to drop more dank puns.
>>
>>3380785
I don't read Japanese, but from what I've understand, in Japan the DQ series has always had a large amount of puns in the script. But puns by there very nature are impossible to translate, so that's always been a problem with bringing the games to the US.

Also I think puns are seen as a more respectable form of comedy in Japan then they are in the west, just because of cultural differences.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIRYKE6JkMo

What the hell is the dog saying and why does the elder speak like modern Alena sometimes?
>>
>>3380792
>in Japan the DQ series has always had a large amount of puns in the script
That's just a rumor that most people believe for some reason. They don't have even half of the puns that we see in the English localizations. There's a time and place for puns and jokes, but the English translations fill the whole game with bad puns, removing any hint of seriousness. They add hundreds of puns in places that were perfectly serious in the original version. There is no excuse for changing the mood of the games so much.

When puns appear in the Japanese versions, they don't feel out of place. They don't ruin sad or serious moments. And since it's the original language, they are actually funny and don't feel forced. They added a pun somewhere because it was clever and it worked in Japanese, but the localization team has to add a half-assed English pun in the same place, often with disastrous results.

>I think puns are seen as a more respectable form of comedy in Japan then they are in the west, just because of cultural differences.
It's not really because of cultural differences, it's because puns work a lot better in Japanese. It's because of how the language works. It's very easy to make puns that don't make you cringe

The modern localizations are just plain garbage. Even if you like the puns, DQ games are not supposed to be filled to the brim with them. And the fucking accents ruin one of the best things about the series.
>>
>>3380768
You should never play that game with actual discs anyway. If they are even slightly scratched, the game will freeze at the worst moments. Just emulate it.
>>
>>3380912
>>3380908
>It's this shitposter again

Go away already. Don't you have some generals to ruin?
>>
>>3380908
Punnery only works when it's subtle. That's the difficult part of comedic wordplay.
>>
>>3380908
It's not like DQ is a particularly serious series in the first place. There are some dark moments but as a whole I'd call the games rather lighthearted.
>>
>play DQ5 SFC
>3rd generation
>"ok kids, let's visit Reinhart to see how my friend Henry and his stepbrother Dale are doing"
>go into the throne room
>there's a generic old king with a white beard sitting on the throne
>it's Dale
This is up there with the merchant girl turning into a man in DQ3 NES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elu-nEMjWYE

>9:05
Seriously, what the fuck happened to Dale? Are all kings required to wear a fake white beard? I actually like it, though. It's pretty hilarious.
>>
>>3380916
>>3380924
They completely change the mood of the games and you defend them? You guys are mindless drones. What the hell happened to this fanbase?
>>
>>3380919
>Punnery only works when it's subtle.
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Puns can be used in any comedic situation, but most people hate wordplay.
>>
>>3380912
Its not that I prefer hardware over emulating. I have a PS emulator, and I have the game file. But I've never progressed far enough into a PS game with an emulator to know how it handles disc swaps.

Mainly I'm just worried that I'll reach the end of the first disc, and either I'll have a bad iso/dump/whatever and have to start all over, or that the emulator itself will handle the swap poorly and force a startover that way. Both of which would completely kill my drive to ever play the game again.
>>
>>3380939
>"Waaah, you're wrong and I'm right!"

I'll bite. Give me proof that the localization changed the tone of Dragon Quest and I'll admit that it's shit.
>>
>>3380916
Why do you keep following me and insulting me for saying the truth? What's your problem, dude? I'm not shitposting. The translations are objectively bastardizations of the original scripts and playing DQ7 on an old disc can only lead to freezing problems and frustration.

Leave me alone already.
>>
>>3380956
>objectively

Oh boy, here we go. Do you even know what the JP scripts are like?
>>
>>3380951
I was worried about that too, but it's really easy. The game will ask you to insert disc 2, so you just have to load the other disc as if you were changing to a different game. That's it. You don't have to load both discs at the same time or anything like that.
>>
>>3380936
By the way, that guy is using the wrong translation. There are two translations for DQV SFC, but only one of them is actually good.
>>
>>3380956
If the disc is in good condition and the hardware is in good shape, then there's absolutely no reason why it should randomly freeze. If I had a hard copy of the game and a working memory card I'd probably recommend playing it on its original hardware. Otherwise emulation is the way to go.
>>
>>3380951
I don't think there is a bad dump of this game floating around. And even if you had a problem with the second disc, that won't ruin your save file or anything. How could something like that delete all the files in the "memory card" folder? There is no reason to be afraid of that.
>>
>>3380971
Good to know, thanks.
>>
>>3380979
Well that was part of the worry, if I had a bad dump then it would make sense to me that a save file from bad version may not work on the good one.
>>
>>3380956
>Leave me alone already
Quit being a lying piece of shit
>>
>>3380861
>2:45
>"I'm not having"
>"there is being"
>"you are knowing"
I knew it. The mayor of Krage is now a russian sterotype. You are supposed to remember him as "that quirky guy that talks weird" instead of the perverted old man afraid of baldness that he originally was.

I'm not playing this shit.
>>
>>3380991
>balding pervert is somehow a desirable and interesting character

Also there's still the book of baldness there. I'm sure he'll have more to say about it.
>>
>>3380908
That silliness present in the translation is pretty popular and I think it's snagged more fans in the west than it's turned off. I think it's even gotten to the point where people actually think the silliness and puns is what defines Dragon Quest.

I still prefer playing in the original language but I sure don't mind them taking liberal steps to help make the series more appealing and popular in the west. Only problem is that it creates a barrier where someone says an English name and I'm left wondering who the fuck they're talking about sometimes.
>>
>>3380994
He wasn't an interesting character, but he was a charming, silly old guy. I felt happy for him when I saved the town. Most new players won't find him charming or likable, just weird and annoying.

There was literally no reason to make him talk like that. Do they really think they are improving the game? Why do they keep hiring these hacks?
>>
File: DQV_Harry.png (172KB, 288x555px)
DQV_Harry.png
172KB, 288x555px
>>3381001
>That silliness present in the translation is pretty popular and I think it's snagged more fans in the west than it's turned off. I think it's even gotten to the point where people actually think the silliness and puns is what defines Dragon Quest
This so fucking much.

I wouldn't have even bothered getting into Dragon Quest if it wasn't for the humor to break off the dryer parts of the game. The puns and wordplay make the game that much more unique here in America.

It's fine to enjoy the original script, but you're an idiot if you think that the franchise was "ruined" by the translators. They probably helped push more sales because of their bold choice, which in turn helped convince Square to push put more DQ games for everyone to enjoy.
>>
>>3381015
>Most new players won't find him charming or likable, just weird and annoying.

And you can gauge this from like 3 lines of text? I'm sure he'll be plenty likable.
>>
>>3381001
I don't care if bastardizing the script makes the games more popular in the west. Why can't we play DQ games in English, French, Spanish, Italian or German without all this crap added to it? What's the point?

Why can't these games get normal translations? Why Dragon Quest? Other RPG series get perfectly normal translations.
>>
>>3381036
The non-Nintendo localizations of the Dragon Quest games got normal translations (i.e. 7 and 8).
>>
>>3381036
>Why can't we play DQ games in English, French, Spanish, Italian or German without all this crap added to it?

It's impossible to translate anything without something being added or removed. There's more to language than just how the words sound and what order they're in. If you want to play the original game, stop being lazy and learn Japanese yourself. Of course even then you'll won't experience the game the same way as someone who grew up in Japan would, because that's just how culture works.
>>
>>3381001
>I think it's even gotten to the point where people actually think the silliness and puns is what defines Dragon Quest.
What if someone wants to play the games as they were intended, without all this stuff that the localizers pulled out of their asses? We are forced to play them in Japanese, even though they could've had normal translations like every other rpg series in the world.
>>
>>3381036
You have fan-translations to enjoy the game.

Quit whining. Everybody wins, and you just want to throw a tantrum for no reason.
>>
>>3381056
This applies to you too >>3381054

You know for a fact your original scripts are a google search away
>>
>>3381050
All the games got normal translations. Only 1 and 2 had people speaking in "old English", but it wasn't that bad.

It was 8 that started this whole mess. Just because one fucking guy, Richard Honeywood, wanted to try something new. This is inexcusable.
>>
>>3381032
>3 lines of text
Four games. It's what happened with every fucking character in IV, V, VI and IX.
>>
>>3381075
I found plenty of characters likable in those games. Sounds like a personal problem on your end.
>>
>>3381073
>Richard Honeywood
Didn't he get kicked out of Square Enix anyways?
>>
>>3381053
Check your reading comprehension.

It's obvious that I'm not complaining about necessary changes. I know that a translation is never the same as the original, because things need to be changed in order to work in English.

But they are intentionally changing as many things as they can, including the tone of the game. They are adding tons jokes and puns that didn't exist in the original. They give characters annoying accents when they were supposed to speak normally.

You must be trolling me.
>>
Matt Tress was one of the worst puns ever. Poor kid was dealt a shitty hand in life and didn't deserve to be a pun.

I can't feel bad for a kid whose name is a fucking pun. I can't take the game seriously. And the worst part is that his name wasn't supposed to be a pun. The localizers added that shit for no reason and ruined the game for people that could have enjoyed it a lot more.
>>
I have no issue with the puns/names if they are not overdone. I don't want to be expecting everything in the game to have an unrealistic name. There are two names in the android port of DQIII I have a problem with.

Drac the Vlad? I'm supposed to believe there is a species of monster called Drac the Vlad?

Robbin' 'ood? How is any name with two apostrophes a real name? One is for a pun and one for pronunciation reasons only. This case is particularly bad, because Kandar is more than just a one-time boss enemy. He is fought twice in the story of Dragon Quest III and then shows up late in the story to give important info.

This name makes him a shallow character, nothing more than a "Robin Hood" parody even though that isn't the case at all.
>>
>>3381001
>>3381021
Silly accents seem to be a standard now. They've even added them to DQIII mobile.

Much like everybody else, I find them incredibly distracting and annoying (especially in DQIV). But since I'm playing through DQIII on the iPad right now, I find that regional accents are one of the few things that really take my mind away from what's happening in the game (to have to decipher what's being said) and they remind me that I'd rather just play the original to avoid silly phonetic spelling, Earth-based stereotypes (in a medieval fantasy setting) and the addition of personalities that can have adverse affects on your character stat development.

It's different when voice acting comes into play, because after awhile I really did enjoy the accents in DQVIII and even in Swords, Fluerette had her moments. I just still find it really annoying when the accents are clumsily forced with phonetic text.
>>
File: maribel.png (2KB, 38x65px) Image search: [Google]
maribel.png
2KB, 38x65px
A Jellyman transformed into Maribel! It's cute! CUTE!
>>
>>3381127
Kill da ho.
>>
>>3381127
I find the fact that she's got a butt absolutely mindblowing. I mean, think about it!
>>
>>3381036
I have a lot fewer issues with name changes than most, but it always bothers me when they change the name of a location to reflect a temporary situation that your party happens across when they visit.

Coffinwell in DQ9, for instance. Somnia in DQ6, as well. So now we have "Nottagen." Yes, that location has a bit of a repetitious nature to it, but it really doesn't have to be baked into the name. Sigh.
>>
>>3381145

not sure if Aeana

>>3381135

pls no bully Maribel
>>
>>3381145
SOMNIA.
BECAUSE THE KING DOESN'T SLEEP.
GET IT? INSOMNIA! IT'S FUNNY! LAUGH!
>>
>>3381176
But Reidock doesn't have a dock.
>>
File: DW4 - Taloonsterriblepun2.png (98KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
DW4 - Taloonsterriblepun2.png
98KB, 566x800px
>>3381181
It's still a cool name. I'm proud to be the prince of Reidock. I can easily imagine the time when my grandfather ruled the kingdom. I can imagine Hassan and Milayou coming to the castle every month to see their best friend. I can see history books talking about the kingdom of Reidock.

Somnia feels like a throaway joke. It's a shallow name that just sounds stupid because it's clearly a pun. I can't picture the kingdom having that name in the past or in the future. It feels fake and artificial. I'm ashamed to be the prince of Somnia. It's just... ugh.

This is my problem with all the punny names. They are just shallow jokes. It feels great to (DQ7 spoilers) save Falrod from the mechsoldiers and knowing that Zebott will be remembered as a genius. The present king will eventually create a mechanical human and everyone will come to see it!

You can easily imagine a future where people will praise Baloch's works. And you have actually met the guy! Isn't that great? It feels truly epic to visit a lost city under the sea. But all these feels are lost if Baloch or Zebott have fucking stupid names that are just cheap puns or references to some pop culture character. The feeling of being in incredible or historical places is lost if the towns have puns for names. And since it loses that epic feeling, it becomes forgettable. You can't imagine that town existing in the past with a name that references something that just happened recently.

Some people may be able to take it seriously, but it's really hard and cheapens the whole experience. If the original game was a good experience, why do the localizations have to ruin all of that just for a few worthless puns? I'm not saying it's completely ruined, but it's a lot less enjoyable than it should, for no fucking reason.
>>
>>3381229
In short, the puns ruin the lore of these games.

Imagine them changing Midgar's name into "Fuckfart City" in the FFVII remake. The fans would go apeshit. What they are doing to DQ is not that bad, but it's very similiar.
>>
>>3381229
Sounds like a personal problem, Reidock doesn't even mean anything. It's gibberish. It could be called Azanak and it'd be the same. Basically you're telling me you'd take nonsense names over names that mean anything.
>>
File: 024.jpg (562KB, 1280x1688px)
024.jpg
562KB, 1280x1688px
Always found Nintendo Power art for Dragon Quest monsters. It's like they are trying to be badass/ugly but the actual sprite is so...not.
>>
>>3381229
>backpack strap makes him look like he's giving a thumbs up
goddamnit taloon why are you so awesome
>>
>>3381241
Yes, it's better for towns in a fantasy RPG to have nonsense fantasy names.

The new names mean stupid things. Having a meaningful name isn't always better.
>>
>>3381246
But that doesn't make them unique. You can swap the names of any two towns without any issue. They just end up sounding generic.
>>
>>3381229
>Kandar is now Robbin' Hood
This is the kind of shit that pisses me off about the new games.

If DQ11 has an archaeologist NPC with a really good story, they will totally name him "Indiana Bones" or something like that, turning him into a shallow parody that you just can't take seriously as his own character.

They seem to treat these games as parodies of jrpgs, when they actually created the jrpg genre. It's disgusting.
>>
File: 025.jpg (555KB, 1280x1688px)
025.jpg
555KB, 1280x1688px
>>3381242
>>
>>3381250
I find Calberona more unique and memorable than Sorceria because it's so weird. I've never heard a name like that before.

Same with all the other town names. They always change unique names into something "meaningful" that either sounds generic or is a stupid pun.
>>
>>3381264
Let's say Reidock was called Calberona and Calberona was called Reidock. Nothing changes. You wouldn't even know the difference. None of the names have any identity of their own, they're just names.
>>
>>3381267
And how is that a bad thing? You play the game and associate each name with a specific town. When you hear the name, you think of that town.

A city of magic called "Sorceria" is something you could find in any genric RPG or fantasy book, while Calberona is completely original. Same with Salabona or Santa Rosa. Random ass names that you wouldn't associate with a certain type of town.

A name that "means" something is what I would call generic. A town full of robots with "metal" somewhere in the name. Shit like that.
>>
>>3381267
They are cool names though.
>>
>Original DW releases in the West
>"These old releases are bullshit! The Westernized "serious" art completely lacks the light-hearted charm of the original Japanese releases. The gimmicky translation takes itself too seriously."
>New DQ releases in the West
>"These new releases are bullshit! The light-hearted translations completely ruin the serious storylines and character development of the original Japanese releases. The gimmicky translation doesn't take itself seriously enough."
>>
>>3381274
The names could be replaced by random ones with no issues as long as they sound remotely good. That's like, the definition of generic. They're random and thus replaceable. They're not bad names per se, they just have no identity.
>>
>>3381287
Ok, let's just agree to disagree. I think the "generic" names have more charm and don't sound completely retarded.
>>
>>3381281
There is a such thing as a middle ground.
>>
>>3381290
Okay sure
>>
>>3381281
The serious art didn't appear in the games themselves, only in the manuals. The "gimmicky" serious translation had its silly moments too. It only added a few "thous" here and there in the first TWO games on the NES. That's all. When it didn't translate some pun, making the game more serious, it was probably because there was no good alternative in English. It's better to ignore the untranslatable pun than adapting it in a cringeworthy way and then adding 20 more, which is what they are doing now.
>>
>Original games
>No good old Toriyama art ingame, only sprites

>Remakes
>Force you to see the modern Toriyama art in the battle menu

Why did his art go to shit the exact moment they started to put it in the games? Literally every character portrait in the DS remakes is ugly as sin and you can't remove them in any way.

I dare you to find me a DS mugshot where the character doesn't look either ugly, middle-aged, evil or insane.

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq4ds/mugshots.php

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq5ds/mugshots.php

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq6ds/mugshots.php

Ugly: Flora, Son, Daughter, Barbara, Laurent, Lucia, Saro, Papas

Middle-aged: Bianca, Deborah, Nara

Evil: Terry, Chamoro, Amos, Hassan, Hero (6), Milayou, Mara, Ragnar

Insane: Alena, Cristo

Ragnar looks like a bad person. Alena looks like she belongs in a mental institution, Cristo looks like he's horribly traumatized, Mara looks like a fucking unlikable asshole and Nara looks like an unattractive 40 year old witch. They made Lucia look disgusting and Saro is almost deformed.

The DQ5 hero is perpetually pissed off for no reason, his son looks like a retarded caveman, his daughter has an awkward pose that you will have to see for the whole game. Papas looks anorexic. Bianca and Deborah look 50. Flora looks like a fucking alien ayy lmao, just LOOK AT HER, no wonder she's the least popular wife among the remakefags.

EVERYONE in 6 looks like a villain, even the hero! Just look at them! They look like they enjoy being evil. They are shown screaming or with wicked smiles. Look at Hassan! He is fucking scary! Is that supposed to be your best bro? And they somehow managed to make BARBARA OF ALL PEOPLE look ugly. She has antennae, looks strangely fat and has a perfectly round face. That edgy facial expression doesn't fit her personality at all.

And they ALL look like negroes! Especially Alena! What the fuck?
>>
>>3381338
I wish you would stop shitting up these threads.
>>
File: alena-01.jpg (5KB, 113x189px) Image search: [Google]
alena-01.jpg
5KB, 113x189px
>>3381338
>Alena's eye looks like it's twitching
LMAO

I'll never understand why they redesigned Alena. She was already perfect in the NES days. Why turn her into a short little loli? I like them, but Alena was supposed to be a teenager, not a 12 year old kid.
>>
File: femalehero.png (3KB, 46x46px) Image search: [Google]
femalehero.png
3KB, 46x46px
>>3381338
Sofia looks pretty decent, but there's something off. There's something missing from her face but I don't know what it is.

Actually, she kinda looks like a man wearing a wig. It's like her face is completely different from any other piece of artwork. Still decent, but... eh.
>>
>>3381345
She is a teenager.
>>
File: hqkjhhjdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqkjhhjdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>3381338
>Alena looks like she belongs in a mental institution
>his son looks like a retarded caveman
>Papas looks anorexic
>Flora looks like a fucking alien ayy lmao
>they enjoy being evil
>wicked smiles
>She has antennae
I don't really agree with this guy, but this is comedy gold.
>>
>>3381293
>>3381306
or you could stop being nitpicky
>>
>>3381338
Holy shit, Flora. Absolutely disgusting. I never chose her, so I didn't know what her portait looked like. How was this even approved?
>>
>>3381353
>>3381338
>>3381345
The idea of Alena being a mentally ill russian stereotype really turns me on for some reason.
>>
File: image.png (2KB, 45x45px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2KB, 45x45px
>>3381338
I dunno, look at Hank. He's so goddamn happy to be here. He finally knows that his friends didn't actually try to kill him and is getting to journey with a cutie dancer. How can you not like him?
>>
File: nera.png (3KB, 114x102px) Image search: [Google]
nera.png
3KB, 114x102px
So beautiful!
>>
File: bianca.png (3KB, 80x92px) Image search: [Google]
bianca.png
3KB, 80x92px
>18 years old
>looks like my grandma
>>
>>3381338
They all look fine to me. You ought to pull that cypress stick out of your ass.
>>
>>3381643
You mean my bag.
>>
Is this really a dragon quest general?
Is this really an active dragon quest thread?

I don't think I've ever seen this before ever on 4chan...
>>
>>3381740

Since some months ago, Dragon Quest "General" is a recurrent thread in /vr/.

Is the only place where can be alive, due the hight activity in the other boards.
>>
>>3380458

fuck off retard
>>
File: th.jpg (8KB, 221x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8KB, 221x300px
>>3381543
how the fuck did you fit that in there?
>>
File: small.png (2MB, 982x1020px) Image search: [Google]
small.png
2MB, 982x1020px
>>3381338
i dont hate the remakes but it is a shame that every game below 7 is sprite based considering how beautiful toriyamas art work is. only 8 10 and 11 have good models but there was a very clear change in art direction.
>>
>>3382301
Because the top image wasn't drawn by Toriyama. He only gives concept art now and Square has people to "refine" it.
>>
>>3382312
why doesn't he draw for it anymore though
>>
>>3382329
He's too old dude. He basically retired until Dragon Ball Super started getting published.
>>
>>3382301
>Toriyama doesn't draw anymore and the new art style looks disgusting
>Sugiyama is old as hell and started reusing old songs with DQ8
>Horii was thr best game designer ever, but now he's okay with making the new games piss easy, fucking up the pacing in the remakes and getting rid of random encounters forever
>The modern localizations will always be awful bastardizations
DQ is dead. Still my favorite videogame series.
>>
>>3382375
DQ has always been an easy series though. The hardest it gets is probably in II and that's largely due to the game screwing you over constantly.
>>
>>3382336
>He's too old dude.
Not much of an excuse considering guys like Yasuhiko and Amano are a couple years older than him and they still draw like there's no tomorrow.
>>
>>3382453
But you gotta remember that he's been run into the ground from the 80's to mid 90's.

Promo art, manga, consultant for animated works, one-shots, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, a handful of guest collabs, he did what they did but burned out much quicker by giving himself no break between projects.

If he was smart he'd have paced himself like Araki.
>>
File: oldvnew.png (746KB, 982x401px)
oldvnew.png
746KB, 982x401px
>>3382312

i never said toriyama drew the new one but even if he is retired, it is still official artwork and shows the direction the new games are taking so even if the older games got a remake they still wouldn't follow the original artwork but instead the new one.
>>
>>3382474
>Promo art, manga, consultant for animated works, one-shots, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, a handful of guest collabs, he did what they did but burned out much quicker by giving himself no break between projects.
Ah, now there's more valid reasoning. To be honest I would be burned out myself if I had an "All work, no play" mentality like that. Could I also half blame it on the usual Japanese work mentality?

>>3382480
I wonder who does all the new art then? One of his assistants?
>>
Whiiiiir

Doo do doo doo dooo dooooooooo
>>
File: official1_1280_1024.jpg (537KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
official1_1280_1024.jpg
537KB, 1280x1024px
>>3382509
yeah theres probably a team of artists emulating his style for merchandise and other promotional material.
>>
people shilling this hard for the shit puns in the english localizations
>>
>>3382823
Dragon Quest Generals in /vg/ have been tried. They all died in less than a day, except for the one that lasted a day and a half.
>>
>>3382858
Some are okay, like Urnexpected and Well Wisher.
>>
>I've been at the casino for 3 hours
>Still have to reset every 20 minutes because all my money keeps getting sucked up by the bullshit RNG of the slots

I just want the god damned whip for Madchen.
>>
>If you play the NES DQIII you don't get all the cool SNES stuff
>SNES has great graphics and music but lacks an official release and the patch is kinda lacking/has errors
>GBC has all the SNES goodies+a bit more and an official release but inferior hardware(can't blame em though, its game boy)
>mobile version has an official translation but no Pachisi

why
>>
>>3383295
>and the patch is kinda lacking/has errors
Not true.
>>
>>3383323
There's typos and the some of the status icons don't work. There's no game freezes and the game is perfectly playable, but I wouldn't say the patch is perfect.
>>
I just started DQ3 NES, and I was wondering if I want to end up with two sages what's the best to start with? I know only goof-offs can become the second one, but how should I go about making the other sage? Not really sure if it's a good idea in general to have two versus a class that levels up faster with the magic I want but I figured it would be a neat thing to try.

I have Hero/Pilgrim/Goof-off/Fighter at the moment, but I just started, so changing would be easy to do.
>>
>>3383362
Ever played DQ3 before? If not it might be best not to really try going for two sages.

My main team when I'm not playing around was always
Hero
Fighter
Pilgrim ->Sage (after he/she learns Vivify)
Soldier

Since magic isn't all that useful until half was in the game and by that point when your Pilgrim become a Sage you will have the Hero and the new Sage to be your casters and your Fighter dealing massive damage. All the while Hero and Solider taking the punishment.
>>
>>3383362
Yeah two sages would be a good idea. The pilgrim/priest is actually a pretty good class having access to healing spells and dealing damage. The goof off/joker/jester is a garbage class but have luck so maybe you will get some decent criticals with them. Both should definitely become sages, you will probably be able to make both sages at the same time as only the priest will need the book of zen. Word of advice, although you will be able to make the priest a sage at level 20 I reccomend doing it at level 24, when they learn vivify. Reclassing puts your characters back at level 1.

For your fighters wouldn't worry abput changing their class, fighters are a phenomenal class that will be viable for the entirety of the game. If you really want to I suppose you can make them a solider/warrior but that's up you. If you do though don't do it when you reclass the other two, that would give you three level 1 party members.
>>
>>3383380
I haven't played DQ3 before but I've played some of the other games in the series and I'm somewhat familiar with the basics of 3. I just thought it'd be a neat gimmick party to try since I don't really mind if it involves a bit of grinding.

>>3383385
Thanks for the help, I'll keep the pilgrim advice in mind.
>>
>>3383402
Just saying the Goof-off can leave to funny/annoying moments and it's really needed to finish the game at all.
>That time I started with two Goof-offs and a Pilgrim
Fun/Yelling was made that week.
>>
>>3381919
how assmad do you have to be to reply to a day old post
>>
>>3383404
Yeah, I figured based on how the class changing works I might be better off just not using one, but it'd be something I'd be trying for the novelty of it, not really because it's overly strong I guess.

I had trouble just deciding between warrior and fighter but from what I've read warrior needs a lot more equipment on average, and I figured I could use at least one really fast party member to finish off enemies that are really bad if they get to attack first (ones that are just really powerful or have a status effect or something).
>>
>>3383402
If your unfamiliar with DQIII then let me give one more piece of advice I didn't mention in my post just in case you weren't aware. As I said the goof off is a terrible class however they do have one advantage no other class has. To turn a character into a another class normally all you need them do is be level 20, sages are different however. To turn a character into a sage you need to have them be level 20 AND have the book of zen item. The book of zen is a one time use thing, I believe in the NES version you only get a few, in other versions I believe you could get a technically infinite amout of them. The goof off is the only class not to need a book of zen to become a sage, as said this is unique to them. Around when you find the dharma temple (where you can change classes) you will find a book of zen. If you have both your goof off and pilgrim at level 20 (still wait until level 24 for your pilgrim) you can get two sages at the same time. Still this would mean you have two level 1 party members so maybe not the wisest choice, up to you.
>>
>>3383380
If you're going to do that, why not have the Fighter and Soldier swap classes, so they get some minor benefits from the previous classes?
Soldier gets a bit of an agi boost, and fighter gets a bit of a stam boost
>>
>>3383420
Solider is nice for the defense but it's much of a damage dealer. While Fighters crit a lot so their damage is threw the roof. And as I said melee at the first half is really your bread and butter. Once you can start to class change magic becomes way more useful but you still will like to have a melee damager around. Hence why I like >>3383380 for my party. Since it's a nice balance for everything.
>>3383426
The higher the Fighter is the more it crits so it's best never to really change them. As for Solider it's just nice having an extra tanky there (since Hero can wear nearly everything and have nice HP)
>>
>>3383421
From what I looked up doing research on the different classes and what they're good at, it seemed to me like there's only one sage item in the NES version, but I couldn't really find anything that spelled out that there's only one available (since otherwise I would just make a normal party and I wouldn't mind so much having to hunt for the items).

I'm just not really sure if what I'm planning makes any sense to try I guess, or how bad of a party I'd end up with with fighter/sage/sage given one of them started with low stats beforehand.

If I did change them both though I would probably wait till one had at least some levels before changing the other one.
>>
>>3383432
>Fighters crit a lot so their damage is threw the roof
Maybe during the post-game, while overleveled.
>>
File: BulmaBunnyEp09.png (123KB, 180x359px)
BulmaBunnyEp09.png
123KB, 180x359px
>>3383295
NES DQIII is the only version where you can literally have Bulma in your party. That alone makes it my favorite version.
>>
>>3383402
Don't worry too much about reclassing. I normally just turn my wizard or priest into a sage and that's it.

When you change classes, your character goes back to level 1 and all their stats are halved.

If you turn a wizard with 60 MP into a soldier, you will have a soldier with 30 MP and all the spells he had as a wizard. Since soldiers never gain any MP, he will always have 30.

The only way class changing can be useful is if you have a really high level character and change him to a class with completely different stat growths. For instance, turn a high level fighter that has 255 agility (max) to a soldier and you will have the fastest soldier ever. It's still half the fighter's agility, but that's a lot for a soldier.

If a stat is too high for your level and class, it will barely increase at all when you level up. The soldier from my example will never gain any agility at all.

Also, remember that the natural defense stat (without applying armor, shield, etc) doesn't work like in the later games. Defense in the four NES games is agility/2. Yes, that means that fighters and wizards have a lot more defense than a slow ass soldier. The soldier can equip strong armor while they can't equip shit, though, so he's still more defensive and has an insane amount of HP.

Fighters are a lot better than soldiers, though. They get more and more critical hits as they level up. You should keep your fighter for the whole game.
>>
>>3383402
Also, remember to never use the wisdom seeds you find. The other seeds are fine, but their effects are temporary. If you use a strength seed, you will have more strength than you should, so the next level up will give you less strength than it otherwise would. The seeds are nice if you want to become stronger right before a boss without having to grind (or after grinding), but the increases are not really permanent. After a few levels, their effect will have vanished.

The problem with the wisdom seeds is related to how wisdom works. It influences spell learning, meaning that if you have a lot of wisdom, you will learn spells a couple of levels earlier.

Wisdom also influences MP growth in this game, and that's the problem with the wisdom seeds. The more points of wisdom you gain at level up, the more your MP will grow for that level. I'm not exactly sure how much each point is worth, but it's something like this: if you gain 4 points of wisdom at level up, you will also gain 8 MP.

If your wisdom is too high for your level because you got lucky for several levels in a row, you will get less wisdom at the next level up. And that means that you will gain less MP or even 0 MP! The opposite will happen if you got shitty stat increases for the past few levels. This happens with all the stats, and it's great because you will always have more or less the same stats (including HP and MP) by the time you reach the final boss. There is no need to reset for better stats or anything like that.

Anyway, the problem with the wisdom seeds is... that they increase your wisdom without a level up. The wisdom you gain by eating these seeds is worthless because it doesn't increase your MP. And the worst part is that you will gain less wisdom (and therefore less MP) at the next level up because you have more than you should. This wouldn't be a problem with other stats, but it's a problem with wisdom.

Basically, any wisdom that you gain outside of level ups is worthless.
>>
>>3383680
>If you use a strength seed, you will have more strength than you should, so the next level up will give you less strength than it otherwise would. The seeds are nice if you want to become stronger right before a boss without having to grind (or after grinding), but the increases are not really permanent. After a few levels, their effect will have vanished.

I've seen this being said a lot but I haven't seen any proof of it. Do you have anything to back this up?
>>
>>3383362
> if I want to end up with two sages what's the best to start with?
Only way is to bring a Goof off, are you sure you really want that?

I suggest this: take a Pilgrim and a Wizard. Make the Wiz a Sage and make the Pilgrim a Wizard after learning Vivify, that gives you a real Sage and a 'light Sage' who gets all the Wiz spells and still has useful Pilgrim spells.
>>
>>3383683
What proof do you want? It's just how the game works. Probably because of the class system.

If you give your character a bunch of strength seeds, he will have too much strength for his level and will gain less strength until he is "balanced" again.

If you change from a soldier to a wizard, the wizard will be stronger than normal for several levels, but he will barely gain any strength or HP until he becomes a weakling like he should. Not only because he's a wizard, but also because the strength he got from the soldier class is too high for his class. If the soldier had a very high level (so high that half his HP or strength is still more than what a wizard would ever get), the wizard will never gain any more strength or HP. He would be still the strongest wizard alive.

I'm pretty sure the seed increases are permanent in later games (they don't affect your normal level ups). Actually, I think the seeds work like this since DQ4 NES. I gave all my HP seeds to Nara as soon as I found them and her HP was fine for the whole game, even though it should normally be garbage. They also removed the wisdom seeds for good because they make no sense.
>>
>>3383380
I must be the only one that never used a soldier in any of my playthroughs. I find them too slow and expensive to equip. The guy is ugly and the girl is not cute at all.
>>
anyone know of a torrent for dragon quest the 1989 anime? Cant find a single one anywhere on nyaa or any other mainstream torrent site
>>
>>3382375
>Sugiyama is old as hell and started reusing old songs with DQ8
You mean like Heavenly Flight, one of the best songs in the entire franchise? Yeah, I think I'm okay with him reusing that. Dragon Quest VIII has amazing original music anyway.
>>
>>3383895
That one makes sense because Ramia is in the game, but the ship theme is from DQ4...
>>
I've been on the verge of finish DQII for a month now and I can't feel arsed to do it. Help.
>>
>>3383931
This post confused me because I just replayed Dragon Quest IV for the NES (technically the Famicom for me, but whatever) a couple day ago and I didn't think that the ship theme from that game sounds anything like the ship theme from Dragon Quest VIII. So I did a little research, and what the fuck is going on here?

Dragon Quest IV NES ship theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ak5jK7T5o

Dragon Quest IV DS ship theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLT2rpQFsI

Did they just completely replace the theme? They sound nothing alike to me. And then they put that theme in Dragon Quest IX?

Dragon Quest IX ship theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBYJrpCx98
>>
>>3383661
>>3383680
Thanks for the tips, I didn't know the parts about the seeds.

>>3383696
Yeah, I just wanted two of them even though I know the other approach will probably end up better because I'm crazy...well really I just like the idea of a useless party member becoming the best class in the game, even if their stats would be lower than other sages. You're probably right though in that taking a wiz would be more balanced.
>>
>>3384158
>Did they just completely replace the theme? They sound nothing alike to me.
You don't have a very good musical sense, then. The original theme is in there, but the overall piece was expanded. Instead of remaking the original 40 second piece, they used the orchestral version, which expanded it by an extra minute. Of course, it's not the actual orchestral version in IV DS.

It's not the first theme in the series that's been expanded like this, either.
>>
>>3384314
Ah, alright, that makes sense. To be honest, I didn't listen to the whole thing. I did pick up on the reuse of the Dragon Quest III dungeon theme for the Dragon Quest IX grotto dungeons though. Probably for nostalgia purposes since DQ3 was so big in Japan.
>>
>>3384449
>To be honest, I didn't listen to the whole thing.
Ah, I understand now. Yeah, Sugiyama added a much longer intro, so someone casually previewing the different versions wouldn't catch that it's the same song.
>>
File: 1437510546771.jpg (500KB, 1000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1437510546771.jpg
500KB, 1000x1412px
All right, people.

Anyone interested on some Prima-BradyGames guides?

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/l55m8kml4wl98/Dragon_Quest_Guides

I'm still missing DQ VI, and a properly scanned DQ IX guide.
>>
>>3383661
>Don't worry too much about reclassing.
Yeah I went into DQ3 expecting reclassing to be a big part of the game (like jobs in FF3 or something) but it turned out to be more of a bonus side thing.
>>
A new TAS was made for Dragon Warrior IV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViGQWRY2E00
>>
File: a shark.jpg (20KB, 248x224px)
a shark.jpg
20KB, 248x224px
A shark appears.
Command?
>>
I still can't believe the DQ7 remake got rid of the ruin puzzles.

The beginning of the game was great. They made you go back and forth between Estard and Fishbel, you got used to the island and met all the characters that live there. And just when you are getting bored of that tiny world, you discover the incredibly huge ruins and do a bunch of puzzles. It feels amazing.

I don't think the remake will feel nearly as epic. They intentionally got rid of the slow beginning and the puzzles. You discover all these new worlds before you even get used to Estard. They ruined something good just to appeal to casuals. Horii is finished.
>>
>>3386567
it took over an hour before you fight a slime

Its a cool idea but its a terrible way to open the game. While its not that big conpared to the rest of the game, its not a good idea to make the player wait that long until things happen.
>>
>>3386578
Not the same anon here, but I enjoyed the opening of DQ7 a lot. Things do happen, there's more to the game than just fighting random monsters. You're exploring the island, getting to know all the people there and trying to figure out the mystery of this empty world. Having an entire dungeon built around puzzle solving instead of fighting is a cool idea. And all the build-up makes the moment when you do first run into a couple slimes seem much more dangerous even though you know they're just slimes. Not to mention how funny it is seeing Maribel suddenly freak out when they show up.
>>
>>3386567
They were just listening to fan feedback. Can't blame 'em for that.
>>
>>3386567
>I don't like thing
>therefore the game is ruined
Did you forget to take your autism-suppressants?
>>
>>3380541
other than adding even more depth to the job system, not really
>>
File: 1467612843018.jpg (323KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
1467612843018.jpg
323KB, 1242x2208px
>>
>>3387276
Jesus.
>>
>>3386578
It took me 4 hours to fight the first slimes because I kept talking to everyone and enjoying the atmosphere.

It's not a big deal. Are you saying that the game can't be enjoyable without battles? The game is great since the beginning.

Honestly, there is no excuse for butchering the first dungeon and ruining that sense of discovery just to prevent people with a short attention span from dropping the game.
>>
According to Nintendo's Release Schedule, Dragon Quest 8 is still set for a 2016 release in North America, but still no specific date yet.
>>
>>3387717
November seems like the obvious date
>>
>>3387717
I kinda doubt it. I don't think they'd release two mainline DQ titles in the span of 2 months, that's super fast. Also:

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/07/27/dragon-quest-viii-for-nintendo-3ds-coming-2017-in-europe/

DQVIII is confirmed to not have a 2016 release in europe, I know >europe and all, but it doesn't bode well for NA.
>>
>>3387717
I wonder if they'll keep the old translation and voice acting. If so, does that mean they're going to have to bring back the voice actors for the bonus content?
>>
>>3387337
i belviebe you meant to say ''CORE BLIMEY!'' guv
>>
File: suicide.jpg (155KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
suicide.jpg
155KB, 1300x866px
>>3387276
>mfw I realized that they renamed the Tower of Shanpane to Skyfell Tower just to make a shitty Eifell Tower pun
>>
>>3388396
Oh god damnit.
>>
>>3388374
It's "Cor".
>>
>>3388396

Seriously... Dragon Quest is pretty fucked in western market...
>>
>>3388396
>they changed a name that meant literally nothing into one that's both descriptive and punny

Cry me a river.
>>
>>3388396
Every character and place in the modern translations has to be some sort of parody of something else, without its own identity. DQ is treated as a joke rpg for some reason.

The worst part is that people actually defend this shit, believing that the Japanese version is chock full of accents and puns too. I think this is what started that false rumor:

http://www.dqshrine.com/

http://www.dqshrine.com/pafeature02.htm

http://www.dqshrine.com/pafeature03.htm

http://www.dqshrine.com/pafeature04.htm

They are PROUD of this crap!
>>
>>3388675
Ever heard of "Champagne" before, dumbfuck? It's a drink made in France, but more importantly, it comes from the Champagne region of France. So yes, the name "Shanpane" does have a meaning because it indicates that the region is based on France, like how "Jipang" is based on Japan. Those names are in the original Japanese version too, which is why this name change makes no sense. It doesn't need to be a terrible fucking pun.
>>
>>3388703
Guess what else is in France? The Eiffel Tower. That connection is still there.
>>
>>3388705
Why change the connection to a name that sounds like a fucking joke, though? What was wrong with Shanpane?
>>
The modern localizations ruined this fanbase.
>>
>>3388712
I dunno, I didn't work on the localization.
>>
>>3388695
I think even worse is how little respect Square Enix gives Dragon Quest in the west. They just fucking outsource everything and leave it to Nintendo to try and market it.
>>
File: 2273237-dq6barba4.jpg (43KB, 418x584px) Image search: [Google]
2273237-dq6barba4.jpg
43KB, 418x584px
Barbara is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>3388675
Whit th' buck did ye jist feckin' say abit me, ye wee huir? i’ll hae ye ken Ah graduated top ay mah class in th' navy seals, an' i’ve bin involved in numeroos secrit raids oan al-quaeda, an' Ah hae ower 300 confirmed kills. Ah am trained in gorilla warfaur an' i’m th' top sniper in th' entire us armed forces. ye ur naethin' tae me but jist anither targit. Ah will wipe ye th' buck it wi' precision th' likes ay which has ne'er bin seen afair oan thes earth, mark mah feckin' words. ye hink ye can gettae France wi' sayin' 'at jobby tae me ower th' internit? hink again, camel blower. as we spick Ah am contactin' mah secrit network ay spies athwart th' usa an' yer ip is bein' traced reit noo sae ye better prepaur fur th' st'rm, maggot. th' st'rm 'at wipes it th' pathetic wee hin' ye caa yer life. yoo’re feckin' deid, bairn. Ah can be anywhaur, onytime, an' Ah can kill ye in ower seven hunder ways, an' that’s jist wi' mah baur hans. nae only am Ah extensively trained in unarmed combat, but Ah hae access tae th' entire arsenal ay th' united states marine corps an' Ah will use it tae its foo extent tae wipe yer crabbit crease aff th' coopon ay th' continent, ye wee jobby. if only ye coods hae knoon whit unholy retribution yer wee “clever” comment was in th' wey o brin' doon upon ye, mebbe ye woods hae held yer feckin' tongue. but ye cooldn’t, ye didn’t, an' noo yoo’re payin' th' price, ye goddamn divit. Ah will jobby fury aw ower ye an' ye will droon in it. yoo’re feckin' deid, kiddo.
>>
File: utonium mad.png (239KB, 638x239px) Image search: [Google]
utonium mad.png
239KB, 638x239px
>playing dragon quest 2
>complete cave to rhone
>midenhall is the only one left standing with shit hp
>get right next to the monolith
>run into 4 blizzards at once
>they cast defeat
>die
>have to do it all over again
>>
>>3388875
WELCOME TO THE RHONE FIELDS MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>3388880
>you only beat the game because you got incredibly lucky on malroth and he never used his healall move
>>
>>3388875
When you do make it there, get ready for a whole lot of running back and forth between Hargon's castle and the monolith when those blizzards kill your party members right before you make it to the castle!
>>
>>3388884
>implying any of these pussies played the original game
>>
>>3388880
dragon quest ii on NES is a test of patience

I'm never playing the original release ever again
>>
>>3388898
I actually did beat it.

it was painful
>>
>>3388898
I beat Dragon Quest II on the Famicom. On the actual hardware. With no saves and only that long password system. Beat that.
>>
>>3388885
Can I go buy a falcon sword without talking to kings or sleeping at inns and still use Return to go back to Rhone or am I fucked? I don't want to go through that labyrinth again.
>>
>>3388907
I actually enjoyed it. There's something about it that I really like. 3 is objectively better, but 2 is my personal favorite of the first three games.
>>
>>3388909
You will be fine as long as you don't save anywhere else other than Rhone. I would suggest staying away from inns anyway since you can get free healing from the monolith.
>>
>>3388909
>get falcon sword
>kill yourself with the barriers
>respawn back in rhone
>>
>>3388927
Wow, remember when barriers and poison tiles actually did serious damage and could even kill you?

Since... DQ6 maybe? they barely do any damage. Even the electric barriers are completely nerfed in the modern games, you don't even need to heal after going through them.
>>
>>3388932
Yeah, in Dragon Quest II the electric barriers were the game's way of telling you "grind until you learn this spell" because you'll be dead if you walk over more than 4-5 of them at a time without healing
>>
File: psaro.jpg (19KB, 325x320px) Image search: [Google]
psaro.jpg
19KB, 325x320px
Is this dude still Dragon Quest's edgiest villian?
>>
>>3388932
Yeah, I loved how some things were really threatening in the older games. The barriers, Rhone, the fucking Dharma section in DQ7. Difficulty spikes aren't always a bad thing. They make certain parts of the games very memorable.
>>
>>3388947
I like how the last part of the plot only happened because the other monsters thought he needed to be more edgy.
>>
File: Psaro_Final.jpg (69KB, 472x437px) Image search: [Google]
Psaro_Final.jpg
69KB, 472x437px
>>3388947
Yes, both figuratively and literally.
>>
>>3388947
Is there any NES artwork of him? He looks like a Sephiroth ripoff, but I'm not sure if his current design was introduced in the original game or in the PSX remake. If he was always supposed to look like this, Sephiroth would be the Saro ripoff.

I'm pretty sure that FFX and Kingdom Hearts are DQ6 and DQ7 ripoffs, though.
>>
>>3388957
That's my favorite thing about the game's plot. Everyone is always talking about how the lord of the underworld will revive and how the chosen heroes are destined to destroy him.

But after you finally kill him and fulfill the prophecy, you have to deal with Necrosaro. And there is no prophecy this time. There is no guarantee that you can actually defeat him.
>>
>>3388964
He always looked like that.
Do you think they just up and redesigned him from the ground up for the remake?
>>
File: OH NO, NOT ME.jpg (110KB, 470x640px)
OH NO, NOT ME.jpg
110KB, 470x640px
>>3388964
Nah, he started off as a David Bowie ripoff first.

It's not drawn by Akira Toriyama, but it is the cover artwork for one of the official novels from back then.

>>3388983
Ironically, that's pretty much what happened. I mean, his original sprite had dark hair.
>>
>>3388983
I don't know, his sprite looked like a weird bard in the original game. How do you go from that to >>3388947

I think he just didn't have a proper design until the remake.
>>
>>3384547
that's pretty neat. Are things like these even made anymore? I feel they're gone, just like manuals
>>
>>3388990
I'd love to see the characters drawn like their NES sprites. Alena with a brown beret, Brey with orange clothes... And Taloon wearing pajamas.
>>
>>3388993
Modern games have built-in guides and forced tutorials explaining the controls. Videogames are dead.
>>
File: Kingdragon2.jpg (222KB, 692x847px)
Kingdragon2.jpg
222KB, 692x847px
Why did it look like his neck was broken in DQ9?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (361KB, 1440x1080px)
maxresdefault.jpg
361KB, 1440x1080px
I love how colorful everything looks. Especially the water and the forests.

It's sad to know that games will never look like this anymore. Except shitty indie games that look like crap. I know that we have better technology now, but 8 bit graphics had their charm. I didn't even grow up with them, the only retro game I had was SMB3.
>>
>>3389002
Explaining controls in a practical environment is a good thing, faggot. Did you not play Soul Reaver?
>>
>>3389006
Is the DORAGON RORUDO a man that can tame dragons and cast Bedragon or is he a giant dragon that can turn into a human?

How come so many monsters in DQ can turn into humans anyway? When you fight a group of bandits and go into battle, they are suddenly werewolves!
>>
>>3389018
I think he's just a giant dragon that turns human. I don't know why he's blue but just roll with it.
>>
>>3388695
man that was terrible. but what can be done about it?
>>
>>3388695
>http://www.dqshrine.com/pafeature02.htm
So basically, they added the accents because they PERSONALLY wanted to make each chapter more "unique" and thought it made the world more believable.

Fuck them up the ass.
>>
>>3388695
>http://www.dqshrine.com/pafeature03.htm
They literally admit that the "Democrobot" didn't have a political theme or anything like that in the original game, but they added that shit anyway.

I just want to play DQ8. Why do I have to deal with these hacks and their "clever" ideas? How can anyone defend this?
>>
>>3389047
>>3389058
Ten bucks says if they hadn't done anything, you'd complain about the script being too literal and serious

Also localization is not synonymous with translation, localizes can and do put their own spin on games.
>>
>>3389074
Did you even play the fucking games? They replace the entire script with their own bullshit and change the tone of half the scenes.

Do you really think they did a good job?
>>
>>3389081
I thought it was fine and they sold pretty well (except VI) so I'm not alone in this.
>>
File: 1466705006850.jpg (71KB, 384x287px) Image search: [Google]
1466705006850.jpg
71KB, 384x287px
Puns by themselves are okay. Its just when you specifically alter tons of text to make a pun work...then you've crossed a line. And Plus Alpha admitted to doing just that.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/02/13/square-enix-discusses-dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-brides-localization/

The puns Yuji Horii writes are tongue in cheek. But we don't get those puns. We get a company renaming characters to make their own tortured puns. Like 'cleohatra' or 'Alltrades Abbey'.
>>
>>3389084
The problem is that all the crap Plus Alpha added to the games was unnecessary. Even if it's something you enjoy, a lot of fans hated it. The games are unplayable for them.

This didn't need to happen. DQ should have been localized in a normal way, like any other game series. Then everyone could have enjoyed it.
>>
What's often misinterpreted as "nerd rage" is the random name change or when something is taken out of its original context. Lenoule/Lenoire is a good example. The dialects get a little pass since it's originally a French name, instead of the Monbabara region. While I appreciate the thought and wit put into the "ooos" and changing King Eric and Queen Sophia to Count Uptaten and Miss Count, it's not a situation that calls for a joke. It's supposed to be a somber little tale of a childless couple whose kingdom was slaughtered by monsters. I'm all for characters sounding gruff, evil, or silly, but not when it seemingly strays from what was intended.

Nun of the above? Come on. Was that in the original? Was the original trying to make a joke of the abbey? It's cute, but it's not the original intent. The same with Professor Toilen Trubble (or Ol' Man Benett). I guess the North American audience needs these extra bits like accents and puns to sell the game. That's really the only reason I can think of to include them.
>>
>>3381345
Alena was originally pretty curvy-thick in the Famicom art of 4. It's only the PS1 remix onward that she became scrawny. She was always short though.
>>
File: 1447555483889.jpg (157KB, 850x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1447555483889.jpg
157KB, 850x1014px
>>3388841
She is the best DQ.

Alena is a close second, though.
>>
>>3389215
I like Milly more
>>
>>3389223
She is used goods.

http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1753034
>>
>dont buy the game because of bad translation'

>i guess filthy gaijin dont like the game

>get the western release

>my clever sense of comedy is the reason the games are selling so well

there is no escape.
>>
>>3389235
I like her more.
>>
>>3389223
>>
>>3389246
Yeah she's cute. I like her hair and those tassel things coming from her armor.
>>
>>3388841
The fact that Barbara's got a cape is just mindblowing! She's so cute, but she's actually got a cape!.
>>
>Barbara will never be in a spin-off game like Dragon Quest Heroes because Jessica is already a more popular Barbara clone.
>>
File: 1447440263659.png (784KB, 700x910px) Image search: [Google]
1447440263659.png
784KB, 700x910px
>>3389319
She will never appear in a console remake either.

DQ4: PS1

DQ5: PS2

DQ6: Fucking DS with the Plus Alpha localization
>>
File: rajce.jpg (783KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
rajce.jpg
783KB, 1200x900px
>>3389319
It's funny how Cuckle was a Terry clone but never became nearly as popular. Terry still appears in all the spin-offs.
>>
>>3389336
DQM1 granted Terry infinite popularity.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160728_051830.png (382KB, 1166x766px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160728_051830.png
382KB, 1166x766px
>>3383813
found one on bakabt me
>>
File: Dq6art9.jpg (268KB, 750x348px)
Dq6art9.jpg
268KB, 750x348px
>>3388841
>Best hairstyle.
>Best outfit.
>Best personality.
>Worst HP in the whole series.
>>
>>3389336
Where did "Angelo" even come from? He has nothing to do with angels.
>>
File: DQV1.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px)
DQV1.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>3389336
>The womanizing priest is named Kukule
I still think Horii did that on purpose. I mean, come on. He's the kind of guy that admits to reading DQ doujins and complains about how Jami rapes his waifu in most of them.

>"I regret creating Jami. I hate what the character has become." - Yuji Horii.
>>
>>3389391
Stop, that isn't true
>>
>>3389391
Pretty sure you don't need to read doujins to find out what the fans think of a character.
>>
>>3389391
It's his fault for creating a horsecock monster and having him kidnap Bianca.
>>
>>3389361
It's better to make her a mage early on. The percentage of HP you lose as a mage doesn't hurt as much when you barely have any HP to begin with.
>>
File: mistakes.png (152KB, 454x401px)
mistakes.png
152KB, 454x401px
>>3389391
>>
>>3389348
BakaBT and AB are great for getting old, obscure anime. But >>3383813 is probably talking about Dai no Daibouken.
>>
>>3389438
>The percentage of HP you lose as a mage doesn't hurt as much when you barely have any HP to begin with
That's MMORPG logic.
You can't tank all the damage in a turn-based game, your mages will take some hits every once in a while, if their vitality is total shit, so are themselves.
>>
>>3389457
I'm not talking about tanking the damage. While you are in the mage class, your HP is reduced by a certain percentage. If you wait until a high level to make her a mage, her max HP will be so low that all the bosses will murder her in one hit. It's better to do it when you unlock Dharma because at that level you will only lose like 10 HP.
>>
>>3389438
The first time I played I made her a dancer because she was hot and I didn't know shit about her backstory. It was weird to have her doing the hustle instead of Milayou.
>>
File: dq268 001.jpg (138KB, 415x651px) Image search: [Google]
dq268 001.jpg
138KB, 415x651px
Princess Leesa's hat is actually better than Alena's.
>>
>DQVII gives you the option to have Gabo/Ruff be the one guy not in your team for the end of the game

Why would you ever do that? He's the only member to be in your party for all the time after Alltrades.

I mean its good to have the option just in case someone really wants to, but its a terrible idea.
>>
>>3389493
>alltrades

I'm 75 hours in and just recruited Melvin. I plan to ditch him eventually because I love Gabo and Maribel. Aira seems very interesting. If I ever play again, I will use him for the entire game.

I think the best characters to abandon are Maribel and Gabo. Maribel is just a normal tsundere girl without anything special, she has no place saving the world. But on the other hand, Gabo is the least important character outside the Orph storyline. He's basically comic relief, while Maribel is your childhood friend and should be in your team until the end. Melvin is the legendary hero and Aira... will probably be important to the plot, I think.

Gabo makes the mid game a lot easier, though. Stampede is broken.
>>
>>3389519
i'm just used to it by now

Gameplay wise, Gabo's the strongest. He's gonna have the most job levels of them all.

Melvin's the one I ditched as well. He's cool, but Maribel had more job levels and Aira's cooler.

Gabo's the one guy who sticks with you the entire time. I can't just ditch him at the very end. It ain't right.
>>
>>3389538
I wish I could use all 5 characters, but I think switching between Aira and Melvin to train both of them would be a waste of time. I'm mainly ditching him because I love party talk. I'm sure he has a lot of interesting things to say beyond the point when you have to ditch someone, but I'd rather hear what Aira has to say and then use Melvin in a future playthrough. Switching between one and the other would leave me with no way of knowing what towns I visited with which characters in the last playthrough.
>>
>>3389557
Smart move.

I'll probably ditch Maribelle in the remake as I used her in the PS1 version. After all, I'm pretty sure her equipment options are the worst of the party.
>>
What would a grimdark DQ look like?
>>
How wouldst thou translate such a series so if previous attempts doth not decree thine favour?
>>
>>3389685
2edgy4me
>>
File: nightmare vision.png (729KB, 600x594px)
nightmare vision.png
729KB, 600x594px
>>3389685
the closest we've gotten to grimdark on DQ was the dread realm in 6
>>
>>3389391
Oh yeah by the way when are we getting V PS2 on the DS/Vita
>>
does anyone have that ''what is Dragon Quest'' picture?
>>
>>3389762
What is Dragon Quest anyway?

How would you explain its merits to the average JRPG gamer who grew up on Final Fantasy and Tales?
>>
File: dragon quest.jpg (578KB, 550x3500px) Image search: [Google]
dragon quest.jpg
578KB, 550x3500px
>>3389762
>>
>>3389770
basically, Dragon Quest is a lot like Chrono Trigger where [It doesn't do anything wrong]
and it feels like an adventure from beggining to end, with one of the best worldbuildings I've ever experienced
the world's alive and it's a blast to explore every inch of it
also it's pretty fair when it comes to difficult, except for DQ2, Fuck Rhone
also you'd think that, since Akira Toriyama did the designs for DQ, you'd get tired of em
I thought the same, and the human designs kinda got old, but the monster designs are 10/10
also quality waifus and gameplay for those with a refined taste on turn based rpg
best starting places are DQ4, 5 and 8
>>
>>3389775
That's it.
It feels like an adventure game.

Now why does it feel like an adventure?
>>
>>3389391
Well, if you don't want to see your waifu raped, at least there's that one doujin where Jami and Gonz rape Papas instead, right?
>>
File: hZkk5bve0.jpg (115KB, 597x800px)
hZkk5bve0.jpg
115KB, 597x800px
>>3389391
>Glacos will never rape Barbara in the ass
Why live?
>>
>>3389691
Everything before 8 was well translated. 7 had some typos, but the translation was really good. Don't believe the memes.
>>
>>3389771
> DQVI is considered by many to be the weakest entry in the series by far. While this is true ...

triggered. DQVI is The Best
>>
File: 14518146j78735.jpg (1MB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
14518146j78735.jpg
1MB, 1000x1200px
>>3390059
I don't think it's the best, but it's absurdly underrated for some reason.

There must be something wrong with it, because literally everyone says it's the weakest game in the series. But I just don't see what's so bad about it. It's an amazing game.
>>
>>3390063
Maybe because you either start with earlier dq entries or you start with the later ones. I see DQ VI as III but better.
>>
>>3390063
Most people played the DS remake. Even I considered it the dullest game in the series until I decided to play the original. Now it's in my top 3.

4 on NES is the best DQ game, though. It did everything right. It's perfect. 7 is my second favorite.
>>
>>3390063
It's a great game, but out of the Zenithia trilogy it's definitely the weakest compared to IV and V. I don't see how anyone could say VI is the worst in the series when II exists, even with the remakes.

>>3390071
>4 on NES is the best DQ game, though. It did everything right
Well, everyone's allowed to have their own opinion, even if it's the worst opinion I've ever heard.
>>
>>3390075
> but out of the Zenithia trilogy it's definitely the weakest compared to IV and V

I don't think you can really compare them. IV and V puts more work into the story, whereas VI gives you a lot of freedom and game content. I say VI is the best game out there because, if you follow the progress of the series from the beggining, looks to me like the natural successor of III. Someone enjoying 1 to 3 would expect 4 to be like VI.

>>3390071
> 4 on NES is the best DQ game, though. It did everything right.

What is exactly everything? It offered little exploration and no character freedom. It was a great game, but it shits on everything the series was offering. So whereas i agree is a great game, i could not say it did everything right, not at least from the point of view of someone that until that point was enjoying DQ
>>
>>3390075
I don't see how 2 is worse than 1. I would say 1 (the original) is the only "bad" game in the series because of all the grinding you have to do near the end. Rhone doesn't even compare to that.

>it's the worst opinion I've ever heard
The games after 4 were really good, but they all had small flaws.
>>
>>3390075
I love V, but I think it's the weakest of the trilogy by far.
>>
>>3390101
Yeah, fair enough. I'm not going to say Dragon Quest 1 is awful though because it was Japanese devs trying out a new genre for the first time. And it's not nearly as frustrating as Dragon Quest II even with all the grinding.

I love IV, but I'm shitting on the fact that he said NES IV specifically. The PS1 and DS remakes are so much better just because you have the option for manual control of your party. And if you love the AI that much, you have the option for that too.

>>3390102
There are a lot of people who would disagree with you, but I think that's a pretty valid opinion to have personally. The only real gripe I have about Dragon Quest V is that it takes a while for you to have an actual party.
>>
>>3390071
>4 on NES is the best DQ game, though. It did everything right. It's perfect. 7 is my second favorite.
You are almost like me. I love 7 the most and 4 for NES second. Just really annoyed at how badly the fucked up DQ4 DS. I'm fine with accents but man was it overdone like hell and most likely took them so long they had to take out Party Chat because they couldn't finish it all. Sadly we most likely will never see a fan translation for DQ4 PSX which seem to be the best version to play.
>>3390101
1 is just grinding. Bad but the game does a good job at explaining where to go and how to get the items needed to finish the game. DQ2 however seem to go out of it's way to hide as much info as possible. And the times they do tell you where things are you tend to have to hit search every single spot on that floor hoping something shows up.
>>
>>3390139
The AI in the remakes feels different. I'm not sure if it's better or worse, but I don't like it. The remakes ruined so many things I don't think being able to control the characters is worth it. At least for me.
>>
>>3390141
Oh right, you guys have to deal with the shitty DS translation. Yeah, that's pretty much the only way I could see anyone liking the NES version over the DS version.
>>
>>3390151
Eh I can see people enjoying the feel of a NES game over DS. Yeah gameplay is MUCH better in almost every way but by the 4th game Horii seem to get level balance and I didn't really find grinding as much of an issue. Unlike DQ1-3 (3 not that much but still a good bit personally). And since every chapter has different characters and different enemies you feel like you are doing different things over those chapters which tends to be the problem with grinding in general.

Actually thinking about it FF6 takes a good bit from DQ4. Both looks at it's previous game and takes every class and turn it into a character. And both revolves around a person that was half human half godly being.
>>
>>3390139
The PS1 remake is arguably better than the original, depending on your tastes. But the DS port just fucked everything up, it's the worst version by far.
>>
>>3390151
Even ignoring the translation, the altered pacing in the DS remake makes if feel like you are playing with cheat codes. It's a shitty game.

Why do you think the NES version is objectively worse? Is it just because it's old?
>>
>>3390164
>>3390158
>>3390159
Okay, to be fair, I haven't played the DS version in over eight years. I did play through the PS1 version about two years ago, and it was great. Having full control of your party really did make a huge difference for me. I think the NES version would be a great game if you could control your entire party. I did play the NES version after the PS1 version though, so that probably skewed my perspective.
>>
>>3389324
What are they gonna remake for NX?
Back to IV again?
I don't think the first trilogy is well suited for remakes with modern technology.
>>
File: 1467866j323604.png (813KB, 640x482px) Image search: [Google]
1467866j323604.png
813KB, 640x482px
>>3390167
The DS version was the first game I played, but I can't stand it now. I tried playing in Japanese now that I can understand it, but the pacing just feels wrong... On top of that, you have to deal with the stupid double screen.

I should play the PS1 remake some day. As far as I know, the pacing is slightly different from the original but not an absolute disaster. I don't know a thing about PS1 emulation, though.
>>
>>3390178
The only ones that really need remakes are 4 and 6. The DQ7 engine was kind of ugly and didn't really fit the DQ4 world.

Actually, most of the remakes look weird. Compare DQ5 SFC with the 1&2 remakes. The graphics in 1 and 2 look really empty and cheap, while DQ5 looks nice.

I don't think 6 will get a remake ever again. It's the least popular game in the series and we already got one not too long ago.

What if they stop with the remakes?
>>
>>3390189
>The only ones that really need remakes are 4
Except to Horii 1-4 has been remade 2 times already (1-3 on SNES and GBC, 4 on PSX and DS) so there is no point of remaking DQ4 in his eyes. West would want it but SE would basically say "play the mobile version" of 1-8 no matter how much people complain about the localization.
>>
>>3390040
What constitutes a good translation then?
>>
>>3390178
I would argue for them to remake 1, 2 and 3 all into one game.
Think of it like DQV's progression.

The first three are all related anyway, might as well just stick them into one whole game.
>>
>>3390201
Not him but they were actually more close to the actual Japanese script with their own twists here and there when it couldn't work (Japanese puns, references we wouldn't know, ect.). And quick and easy to read without having to deal with extra effort on reading text that has no reason to be different. Personally I just hate written accents in general because accents were never meant to be written. Slang and broken speech to show misunderstanding of a language is fine but there is no good reason why Alena would be speaking in broken English.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COByJt4WXw
New youtube video
>>
>>3390221
Why do they say "Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the forgotten past" every single time in trailers and even interviews? Why not just say Dragon Quest 7 after the third time?
>>
>>3390229
because its a remake and has significant differances from the original, and they want to show off how its technically a "new" game
>>
>>3390245
>implying any of the normies commenting on the video knew about the original game
>>
>>3390247
Bullshit.
Everyone that'll be buying this game are avid fans trying to prove a point with their wallet.
>>
>>3390208
That would be a cool idea, but they'd never do that because not everyone would want to play those games in order. A lot of people would probably rather just skip to 3 and do 1 and 2 later.

>>3390249
I know for a fact that I'm proving a point with my wallet by NOT buying Dragon Quest 7 in English. I'd rather see the series dead in the west than butchered horribly, no joke.
>>
>>3390263
But I mean, it would be one game.
One game broken up into 3 main chapters.
Same mechanics, same engine, just choices that would effect later and previous generations.

I just can't think of anything clever for how something in the future could effect the past if the story was to follow the release order.
>>
>>3390247
Regardless, that's how they want to do it

>>3390263
>wanting no localizations at all just because you don't like them

I understand you wanting the tramslation quality to improve or be more faithful, but I'd rather not miss 5 games in the series again just because you don't want them.
>>
>>3390274
We never got a fan translation of DQ4 on PSX because the DS port was released in the west.

It's better if the series is dead.
>>
>>3390270
>Same mechanics, same engine
What's the point of remaking it without using VIII tier visuals and improved jobs/abilities systems from later games?
>>
>>3390274
You mean the period after Dragon Quest VI DS where we lost out on Joker 2 Professional, Rocket Slime 3, Dragon Quest X (although that one was never coming over), remakes of Dragon Quest Monsters 1 and 2, Theathrhythm Dragon Quest, and soon to lose out on Joker 3 as well? Yeah, that was the period where I started learning Japanese and importing. And now I own almost all of those games. If you want to keep eating shit, fine, but you'd better not complain about it. Oh, and you'd better believe they're not going to bother localizing the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI, just like what happened with Ni no Kuni.
>>
>>3390285
>Playing 3DS XI over PS4

shiggy
>>
>>3390287
Why not play both? They're two different styles. It's not like you're just playing a shitty port of the PS4 version.
>>
>>3390294
It all depends on what the battle system is like for XI on PS4.

Is it like X? IX? Will it be like its 3DS counterpart?
Who knows.
>>
>>3390284
>VIII visuals
The hero of the first game is now a super saiyan. Do you really want to see that?
>>
>>3390304
That would happen regardless, it's his canon design now.
>>
>>3390304
That super saiyan transformation was only added into the English version for marketing shit. In my opinion, the hero from Dragon Quest VIII has the best design out of all the heroes. I also have to admit that I really don't like the design for the Dragon Quest XI hero.
>>
File: Trunks-trunks-20557198-418-284.jpg (28KB, 418x284px) Image search: [Google]
Trunks-trunks-20557198-418-284.jpg
28KB, 418x284px
>>3390313
What's wrong with him?
>>
>>3390313
I'm not talking about the DQ8 hero. I'm saying that the DQ1 hero has been redesigned to look like a super saiyan.
>>
>>3390317
Besides being a green-haired Trunks, he's got a whole bunch of Tetsuya Nomura belt buckles for some reason. And he just seems pretty generic overall.

>>3390318
Oh wow, you weren't kidding. That's pretty bad.
>>
>>3390063
It has severe narrative and pacing issues. You kill the closest thing to a main villain about 20 hours in, then after that you explore the world helping people for another 40 before the real villain appears. It doesn't have a lot of direction. In addition, the dream world stuff is a bit formulaic. The majority goes: enter an area that has a problem -> switch worlds to solve the problem -> go back -> done.

I can definitely see why it isn't popular.
>>
>>3390326
He looks pretty gay, like James from Team rocket or Android 17.
>>
>>3390327
also the class system isn't great

ashylnn becomes a sage, carver a gladiator, and milly becomes a benchwarmer. Nobody makes carver a mage because his equipment is set up for him to fight physically.
>>
>>3390327
During the second half of the game you keep hearing about Mortamor from his henchmen, it's not like he comes out of nowhere at the end.
And the dream world is also useful to navigate the map and to discover neat lore. The quests themselves aren't even that formulaic, I'd call something like IX formulaic.
And nothing wrong about having characters that do better in certain classes, it makes them more unique even with a job system.
Overall I agree with that other anon that praised the game for the freedom, lack of railroading and content it offers.
Now tell me that making you discover the entire backstory of Milly by talking to people in a completely optional town wasn't great.
>>
>>3390384
Not that guy, but Milly's situation is confusing. If she had her real body since before meeting back up with Hero/Carver, why doesn't she tell them who they really are?
>>
>>3390221
>tfw want to support DQ in the west
>Don't wanna clog my backlog with a 150+ hours long game
>>
>>3390221
Why is combat now ala Romancing Saga?
>>
>>3390327
I can see why someone would think there is nothing wrong with it, though.

Dragon Quest games are almost all largely the same, gameplay wise, its not like final fantasy, where every game is so drastically different that you can immediately tell when something is off or bad about the game, in dragon quest it always comes down to supplemental shit like pacing issues or the class system being kinda meh, because the gameplay is always the exact same shit, and it always works.

Even when I first played 6 I liked it, though I'll admit I thought it was harder to get into than other entries in the series, even though I liked the characters.

It's that kind of something is vaguely off feeling thats hard to really describe because DQ games are just samey shit with hardly any discernible features between the games except that some have the class system.
>>
>>3388993

Hohohoho!! Don't think like that.

Nowdays, marketing is MORE important than a solid gameplay. So, making guides is part of that marketing stuff.

We can see very usefull guides, but also guides that are outdated very fast (due updates or DLC) or even more useless guides for lineal games.

And yes, popularity is what can make a game has a guide...

>>3384547
DRAGON QUEST VI (DS) GUIDE FOUND!
Some random guy uploaded this, a few days ago

https://mega.nz/#!yUx3DY6a!F2PaR12Mnza-0KIsK4Njl9gf6I8me1M0zUjyVz6BqQQ
>>
>>3390304
Who cares? He didn't have a design before anyway. It was just a suit of armor with a face.
>>
>>3390229
Marketing.
>>
>>3390317
Trunks really let himself go.
>>
File: Dragon-Quest-XI-1.jpg (55KB, 636x421px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon-Quest-XI-1.jpg
55KB, 636x421px
>>3390326
His hair is brown.
And I don't see anything particularly wrong with his design.
>>
>>3390179
I've played through the DS version quite a few times, but I can never appreciate the NES one. I find it absurdly slow and tedious, it's just not for me. The DS one is steady enough to keep me interested without making me bored. Playing the NES version just feels like a chore to me. I'm not against slow grindy games, I tend to really enjoy those, but DQ4 NES is just way overkill.
>>
>>3390725
seeing the childhood sweetheart get corrupted is hot as fuck if you aren't a self inserting faggot
>>
File: DQXI-Announce-Init_Chara-Art.jpg (208KB, 1584x889px) Image search: [Google]
DQXI-Announce-Init_Chara-Art.jpg
208KB, 1584x889px
>>3390706
This was the picture I was using for reference. Might be the lighting, but his hair really does look green to me in this picture. Or maybe I'm just colorblind. I definitely see the brown in your screenshot.

There's nothing "wrong" with his design per se. I just don't like it.
>>
>>3390384
Second half is a bit of an exaggeration, it's the last third at most. My problem isn't that there's a true villain hiding in the shadows (because there almost always is in DQ titles) it's that there's nothing to lead you from Murdaw onward. The game straight up says "just explore around to find your body!" and then after 40 hours you do, and then nothing still happens and the game wants you to explore more again. I'd appreciate a little more direction. You even run into Archfiends like Jamirus but you defeat them almost immediately after meeting them so they don't offer any direction. VI's gigantic map doesn't help this either; although there's a lot of places, most are mere pitstops where you solve a problem then leave forever. I like roaming around and exploring as much as the next guy, but with nothing to tie your adventuring to it ends up feeling kinda hollow.

Imagine DQV where you don't see Ladja at all after escaping until Nadiria, for example. Or imagine DQIV where you learn about Psaro only an hours or two before fighting him. If there's not a reason to continue exploring, things feel directionless. I think VI suffers from this.
>>
File: dq-s-1.jpg (93KB, 400x480px)
dq-s-1.jpg
93KB, 400x480px
>>3390762
It's the lighting. Both that picture and the other anon's picture are off-screen photos, rather than direct input screenshots.
>>
>>3390789
Almost forgot about XI's visual gimmick. I'm totally going to keep it 16-bit for my first playthrough.
>>
>>3390782
>Imagine DQV where you don't see Ladja at all after escaping until Nadiria, for example
Don't you just meet him again when it's time to kill him in the original?
>>
>>3390793
He's still in Knightmare Tower.
>>
I'm playing DQ VI now, for the first time, and there's something about changing classes that I can't confirm...

The stats changes, are only temporary, while you have that class? Or leveling up with a class, changes your stats growth?
>>
>>3390818
Only while you are using that class.
In fact there isn't even RNG in the stats gain in DQ VI, you will always end with the same stats, unless you use stats increasing items.
>>
>>3390791
Also seem like if you use the analog stick you fight in normal 3D battles. But if you use the D-Pad you battle in DQ5 style with monsters not moving.
>>
>>3390762
It's because they recorded the monitor
>>
>Dragon Quest 6 has 7 playable characters
>Dragon Quest 7 has 6 playable characters
>>
>>3390828
So, there's no way to really improve Barbara stats... Well, less worries for me.

Thanks!
>>
>>3390879
>Dragon Quest 6 has 7 playable characters
But that's wrong.
>>
>>3390903
outside of monsters, there's seven
>>
File: 1425687412565.jpg (275KB, 997x1465px)
1425687412565.jpg
275KB, 997x1465px
>>3390914
But that's silly, you're only counting what's convenient to your point.
Amos is a irrelevant character that didn't even have his own sprite.

Using arbitrary rules you can also clain that DQVI has
6 characters, counting only main characters
7 characters, counting only human characters
8 characters, counting only characters with a proper "character" (drango has her own dialogue, different from other monsters)
>>
>>3390914
But that's racist. Drago is a character too. I don't consider her a generic monster because you can't recruit more like her
>>
>>3390924
>bullying amos

He gets his own sprite in the remake.
>>
>>3390971
More like the generic NPC soldiers get their own sprite.
>>
>>3390706
i like everything about his design except the face. theres something about the eyes that looks off. but im more interested in the other party members. when does it come out again?
>>
>>3391061
Before May of next year
>>
>>3389391
>haha if I say Hori said this statement that doesn't exist people will believe me XDD

Got a source...oh wait your lying.
>>
>>3391080
Nera is cute!
>>
>>3391083
>Nera and Bianca become best friends despite them competing for your hand in marriage
what the hell
>>
>>3391092
Girls are like that.
>>
Just picked up IVDS again after not playing for months. I'm at the tournament in chapter 2, and I'm getting reamed here. Do I just grind a couple levels and buy Alena the Iron Claw?
>>
>>3391109
Yep. Also buy a lot of herbs, you can use them between rounds.
>>
>>3391109
get the claw, bring the herbs
>>
>>3390883
Give her all the HP seeds, she needs them.
>>
>>3391109
>playing IV on DS
>not restarting the game after not playing for months
Seriously?
>>
>>3390795
I don't remember him being there.
>>
>>3390795
Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CAoTUy5wqo

Jami turns you to stone as he dies, which makes a lot more sense.
>>
File: runningmerchant.gif (2MB, 496x448px) Image search: [Google]
runningmerchant.gif
2MB, 496x448px
>>3391303
>restarting that piece of shit port at all
Fixed.
>>
>>3391371
Are the DS versions of V and VI considered bad too? Or is it just IV?
>>
>>3391385
purest hate the accents that are used in the remakes, the games themselves are fine but yeah, they have a point with those shitty accents.

4s DS remake is a little more notable for having party chat removed for w/e reason, but I don't think it kills the game, desu.
>>
>>3391395
Well, I got some responses talking about how they fucked up the pacing of the game earlier, I was wondering if the same thing happened for Dragon Quest V and VI since I'm playing Dragon Quest V SFC right now.
>>
>>3391403
Not really. The gripes about the pacing generally just boil down to the remakes being a bit faster and less grindy.
>>
>>3391385
None of them are considered bad, there's just that one fag here who hates the remakes with a passion because they're different.
>>
>>3391385
V feels way too easy and everything goes by too fast, just like IV. A few towns have stupid accents and the saddest scenes are ruined by puns added by the localizers.

VI doesn't completely ruin the pacing and they mostly got rid of the accents. But the puns only got worse and the graphics look incredibly boring compared to the original...

I wouldn't consider them the definitive versions or even a good way to experience the games for the first time. But other people will tell you they are wonderful remakes.

If you are not convinced, play them for a few hours to see if you like them. You may like the accents, the stupid puns and the lightning fast pacing that makes the quests feel inconsequential. If you hate these things, avoid the DS remakes.

They are generally considered the best versions and are always recommended to new fans, but after playing the originals I regret starting with them and think they are horrible bastardizations.
>>
>>3391429
>the saddest scenes are ruined by puns added by the localizers.

Like which
>>
>>3391395
The accents are bad, but the puns just kill my motivation to play the games. The modern translations are a complete joke.
>>
>>3391436
Count Uptaten. Ugh... And every scene with Gema.
>>
>>3391458
I don't remember either of them saying any puns. Ladja especially, he just says weird shit.
>>
>>3391463
He speaks English like a drunk russian while he kills Papas and your mother. I can't take him seriously. There was no reason to make him speak like a retard. There was nothing weird or "funny" about his way of talking in the Japanese version. Plus Alpha is cancer.
>>
>>3391476
It's supposed to be alien. I prefer that over 100% perfect English.
>>
>>3391385
By a handful of grognards, maybe.
>>
>>3391429
>the puns only got worse
That's an understatement. Literally every major character has a pun name, no matter how serious or sad his story is. Most towns are renamed to something stupid just for a pun.

Matt Tress will haunt my nightmares forever.
>>
>>3391487
It's a completely unnecessary change that you personally liked, but it was still unnecessary. There is no excuse for doing that shit and preventing a bunch of people from taking the character seriously. It wasn't supposed to be like that, the localizers made that shit up.
>>
File: sad frog luigi.png (61KB, 199x224px)
sad frog luigi.png
61KB, 199x224px
>every dragon quest thread devolves into an argument about accent and/or puns
>>
>>3391514
And you personally don't like it, that doesn't mean it's bad. I've said this before but localization does not imply translation.
>>
>>3391523
It's bad because it alienates half the players for no reason. There was no fucking reason to add something like that to the games.
>>
>>3391530
I don't think that many people care.
>>
>>3391534
It's still a bastardization of the original script.
>>
>>3391541
Localization doesn't imply translation. For the second time. If you want a 100% accurate script you gotta play the Japanese versions.
>>
>>3391385
there's just on guy that never misses the chance to trash the remakes. that being said i do believe in playing the original games as they are exactly how the developers envisioned them.
>>
>>3391548
I don't want a 100% accurate script, I just want a localization that takes liberties when necessary without replacing 80% of the script with puns, accents and jokes that weren't there in the original game.

Stop defending this crap.
>>
>>3391563
I don't mind it. I mean, they're just remakes. You can play the originals if you prefer.
>>
>>3391516
The first few generals had none of this shit.
>>
>>3391548
>Localization doesn't imply translation

pretty sure that both on the legal contract and the credits of the game they are referred to a translators not localizers.

the localization concept has its origins in americas xenophobia. they used to ''''fix''''' any non western media to make sure it didn't clash with their world views or simply to insert more of their culture and make it easier to digest.
>>
>>3391574
The remakes are shit anyway, but what if I wanted to play them? Why do I have to deal with Plus Alpha's "humor" that was never intended by the original creator? Stop defending those hacks.
>>
>>3391575
Speaking of which, why isn't there a thread on /vg/?
>>
>>3391579
It's almost always Localization Staff or something. I rarely see it as Translation Staff. Some western games are localized to Japan and get changed too, like the witcher. It's not just a JP -> US thing. A literal translation sounds good but there are far too many phrases that just don't translate. Some liberties are needed.

>>3391586
Sounds like a personal problem. Learn to deal with it or just don't play them.
>>
>>3391589
dies too quickly

maybe try it again when 7 3DS and builders come out in the west
>>
>>3391597
>some liberties are needed
Did you even play the games? They change absolutely everything for the sake of it, often adding puns where there was nothing. They even admitted it in the interview that was posted in this thread.
>>
>>3391607
Oh, I'm not talking about DQ specifically, just localization in general. You can't take a game's Japanese script and give it a 1:1 English version because some things we don't have fitting words for.

In DQ's case, they went far beyond what was needed in order to put their own spin on it.
>>
File: children.jpg (174KB, 1314x822px)
children.jpg
174KB, 1314x822px
>>3391516
>don't really mind puns or accents as long as they're not as bad as in IVDS
>people talk about it like it has tainted the series forever
>>
>>3391303
This is actually the second time I've retried it, after getting to chapter 5. I just can't get into this one for some reason, but I want to give it a fair shake.
>>
>>3391664
Why don't you try the NES version? I'm not sure what puts you off about the game, but it may have something to do with the translation or the soulless art style of the DS remakes.
>>
>muh accent localization
This faggot meme needs to die. Unless it's completely unreadable (Ragnar's chapter), it's just a silly bump in the road. Appreciate the game for it's gameplay, not the 'integrity' of the text it dumps on you.
>>
>>3391668
I like the quality of life improvements, like not having to open a menu to open a door.
>>
>>3391641

>people talk about it like it has tainted the series forever

so wouldn't have any issue with Plus Alpha being in charge of the localization for FFXV and KHIII? you wouldn't mind at all if sora talked like a drunken irish man or if Noctis Lucis Caelum was renamed Flynn Ferrell the XV as a witty and subtle pun
>>
>>3391674
In the case of XV I'd mind because it's a pretty serious game. DQ is lighthearted. There's a big difference.
>>
>>3391672
Oh, nevermind then.
>>
>>3391679
Remember that time Gema and the Hero of Dragon Quest V bonded together for ten years after Papas was knocked unconscious by a big fireball and cast to the shadow realm? Good ol' lighthearted fun!
>>
>>3391679
It's not supposed to be THAT lighthearted. Why can't they just use puns where the original had puns? Why add more and more of them when are cringeworthy in English?
>>
>>3391687
It's Ladja and Pankraz weeaboo!
>>
>>3388841
Absolutely the best part of 6.
>>
>>3391679
>DQ is lighthearted.

DQ is lighthearted because the original developers wrote it that way. that is to say the script they design was funny and serious when needed. if horii wanted more puns he would have requested more puns. i buy DQ to play it as the developers intended, not because of PA comedic genius.
>>
>>3391715
>not broing it out with Carver, Terry, and Amos

no girls allowed
>>
>>3391753
>Terry
gross
>>
File: 1451746335949.png (144KB, 767x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451746335949.png
144KB, 767x720px
>>3391715
I agree. She's the best girl in the series. There is literally nothing wrong with her as a character. 10/10.

>>3391753
>Carver
Terry is a dick. Hassan, Milayou and Barara is the best party.
>>
>>3391757
>>3391762
its either him or nevan

fuck nevan
>>
>>3391781
Slime Knight, brah.
>>
>>3391781
>Nevan
Chamoro looks like Pikachu. He's a cool guy.
>>
File: gyu.jpg (72KB, 457x350px) Image search: [Google]
gyu.jpg
72KB, 457x350px
>>3391781
>He actually touched Barbara
>You will never even live in the same plane of existence as her
Fuck this little faggot priest.
>>
>>3391791
He's probably bald like a monk too. I always make him a paladin. His strength is not bad at all.

There's another Pikachu priest in DQ7, but she's a cute loli. I HOPE they don't give her any kind of accent in the remake...
>>
>>3391801
She'll talk exactly like Bianca.
Probably even mention ghost 'bustin.
>>
File: hqdJHGHefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px)
hqdJHGHefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
Can you recruit this guy in DQM2? I don't remember seeing him, but he's crazy cool.
>>
>>3391687
There are some dark moments but on average it's lighthearted.

>>3391725
Horii doesn't write every single line of dialog, y'know.
>>
>>3391801
Why can't I find any artwork of high priest Fosse?
>>
>>3391806
I don't think that monster even existed when DQM2 was made. So probably not.
>>
>>3391807
Now you are grasping at straws.

The new localizations are hot garbage. DQ is fucked in the west. There is no reason to be in denial about it.
>>
>>3391816
They're not that bad.
>>
>>3391816
I know I'm getting the VII remake in September.
>>
>>3391814
I think DQM2 was made after DQ7, since it has monsters from DQ7.

... I remember something about Florajay being created for DQM1 and then appearing in 7, though. Maybe that's what happened with some of the monsters.
>>
>>3391823
Yeah, it apparently came out a few months after DQ7.
>>
>>3391823
>feelio when the florajay class in DQ7 is absolute crap
>>
>>3391823
He always reminds me of those birds from Alice in Wonderland.
>>
Why do some people complain about how their OCD ruined DQ7 for them because they felt the need to master every class with every character? It's beyond stupid.

I have OCD too, but I'm the opposite. I'm very careful with what classes I give each character because I don't want them to have useless skills that I can never remove from the list or nonsensical things like Maribel breathing fire.
>>
>>3391909
Literal OCD, or just "I like to be thorough" OCD

There's a real difference
>>
File: image327[1].jpg (15KB, 256x223px)
image327[1].jpg
15KB, 256x223px
>>3391753
Talking of which, can you control the monster transformation of Amos?
>>
>>3392017
At a certain level he learns it as a skill, it's like a worse BeDragon/Puff
>>
>>3391429
A reason for playing VI in DS is the translation. The fan translation of the snes is incomplete, you miss a lot of stuff. People told me it didn't matter, but i suppose they never got too far in the game.
>>
>>3392026
Also party chat. Good god there's a ton of it. They could have included half as much and there'd still be a ton
>>
File: image340[1].gif (13KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
image340[1].gif
13KB, 256x223px
>>3390384
>>3390782

To be honest, it doesn't take too much between the defeat of Murdaw and Jamirus. I feel like they wanted to make the game feel like many games, so big it even doesn't put much effort to remind you the connection between the two. In the first part, DQVI is very lineal, is your typical fight the evil game. Once you defeat Murdaw forever, then the second part comes in, in which you are given a big world and you simply explore it without any consideration. From time to time you learn the evil is still alive, but just forget it and keep exploring and solving quests. And when the third part arrives seems like a mixture of 1st and 2st.

But this also happens in III, you keep moving with one goal in mind, but you are hardly reminded about it (like for example, when you find the dwarf that was with your father, who knows what actually happened with him).
>>
File: DQ5 boss.png (2MB, 1514x1440px)
DQ5 boss.png
2MB, 1514x1440px
>>3391641
That's basically my feelings towards DQ localization. It's obvious the team saw how badly they did DQ4DS that they not to go that far. I do say this here is a bit annoying. Not even close to DQ4DS level but still something I wish they didn't do. But I personally was fine with the localization of all the DQ games outside of DQ4DS.
>>
>>3391679
>DQ is lighthearted
Yep full of fun and joy.

The idea is that DQ games are a bit more somber than most JRPG. They have it's humor but not to a level that takes away the impact of what is happening in the game. I honestly don't have much issue with how the games are localized but I do say the accents aren't the best thing to add to the game.
>>
>>3392026
>you miss a lot of stuff. People told me it didn't matter, but i suppose they never got too far in the game.
That's not true. I played the entire game twice and only two of the early towns are untranslated late in the game, when they are supposed to be talking about how you killed Mudo.

You must have played one of the early versions of the patch instead of the mostly complete final version. Where did you download the game?

>>3392031
Party chat is nice, but the translation is a punfest and the graphics look like shit. It's not worth it in my opinion, at least for your first time.
>>
>>3392273
Remember that guy who commited suicide with his elf girlfriend in DQIII? I wonder what they did to their names in the Android version... I bet the name of the town itself is a pun.
>>
>>3392298

"Welcome to Killyours, Elf most important village!"
>>
>>3391909
does the dq7 class system work the same as dq6?
if i can just grind everything and not have to worry mix/maxing stats on level up like ff6, then im fine.
>>
>>3392298
yeah the puns are far worse than the accents imo, if you could strike one and only one from modern DQ, I'd def go after puns
>>
>>3392298
Romeo and Juliet
>>
Best overworld tune reporting in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cRMLNMBwS8
>>
>>3392743
>not DQIII SNES overworld
>not DQV overworld
>not any of DQIV's amazing overworld tunes

dream world is a good tune though. There's just so much that's better.

On another note, who do you guys play in Fortune Street? I always use Kiryl.
>>
>>3392743
>Brodiger in the comments
God, does anyone else find her annoying as fuck? I know she has cerebral paralysis or whatever, but she's fucking obsessed with Sugiyama and won't stop mentioning his name in every single DQ video.
>>
>>3393050
Yeah, a bit embarrassing to see those comments everywhere
>>
>all the lewd comments deleted
Why are the mods such prudes? This is why I only browse threads on the archive.
>>
File: 49090.png (590KB, 752x420px)
49090.png
590KB, 752x420px
>>3392290
I don't think it looks that bad. The biggest issue is probably the lower resolution.
>>
File: 146779870h1983.png (388KB, 561x900px) Image search: [Google]
146779870h1983.png
388KB, 561x900px
>>3393250
I'm talking about the art style. I don't really like how the characters look (their eyes in the SFC version looked really nice) and how they use the NPC sprites and assets from DQ7. I can't look at Granmaz/Madame Luca without thinking of Pamela because the sprite is exactly the same...

The double screen makes it look awkward too.
>>
>>3393250
SNES trees are much more interesting to look at. I never liked that pseudo 3D look.
>>
>>3391812
Because nobody likes pikachu priests. They are original, but they look stupid as hell.

The most iconic NPCs in the series are those guys that wear a horned helmet with no shirt. It's such a weird design. I hope we get one of those as a party member in DQ11.
>>
The best thing about DQ6 DS was the party chat.

However, they completely altered the feel of the SFC original. The SFC version was a bit darker (gothic maybe?) than the average DQ game and that did not translate into the DS version.
>>
>>3392775

Yeah! My girlfriend fucking loves Fortune Street (I also like it, but not at the same level).

When we play, if there is only 1 more friend, we always take Wario as a bot. As a jewish bastard, is the funniest.

And my favorite character is Platipunk. His stupid look and name, is amazing.
>>
File: 5659bbc19578b.jpg (88KB, 480x643px)
5659bbc19578b.jpg
88KB, 480x643px
>>3393382
That's why I played that version to read Barbara's party chat and never looked back. I can't stomach it now, I'm too used to the original's graphics and music, the fan translation, Madante being useful and being able to recruit a badass Wyvern/Chimera.

I don't remember any of her party chat lines, but she said some cute things. In the original, her few lines of dialogue made her seem quiet and confused, which makes sense because she has severe amnesia. But she still came off as a cheerful and outgoing person. It's weird, but I really like how they did it. I don't find party chat that necessary, to be honest.

I think the real world in SFC looked a lot darker, probably because the sky was supposed to be covered with dream clouds or whatever. The daker palette really made the two worlds look different.
>>
File: CoNrB9eUkAAiMiV.jpg (213KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CoNrB9eUkAAiMiV.jpg
213KB, 675x1200px
>The canon DQ1 Hero design is the super saiyan!

According to this pic you lied to me /vr/

Also what the fuck happened to DQ8 Hero he looks like a mega faggot now
>>
>>3393409

He looks like a girl on the cover of the 30th Anniversary Book.
>>
File: 038.jpg (118KB, 840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
038.jpg
118KB, 840x1200px
>>3393409
When people say he's a super saiyan they're referring to the fact that he used to have black hair in all the official art (pic related), but in modern stuff (I think it started with Monster Battle Road Victory) he's been portrayed with blond hair.

Of course, 90% of the time DQ1's hero has his helmet on (like in the pic you posted) so you can't see his hair at all.
>>
>>3393409
He is wearing his helmet, but he has super saiyan hair now. Most of the new artwork shows him without the helmet, so... yeah. Super saiyan hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XxrU84ifg

I think this is the game that redesigned him forever. So sad...

I don't really like the new design for Arus (DQ7 hero). He looks less mischievous and what the fuck is wrong with his neck?

The prince of Reidock looks like an ultra mega faggot now... And his arms look like Hassan's.
>>
>>3393432
>the prince of Midenhall still looks badass
Truly the best MC.
>>
File: 77dk5581c-s.jpg (133KB, 480x743px)
77dk5581c-s.jpg
133KB, 480x743px
This is the worst redesign by far. No contest.
>>
>>3393432
Weird how young they all look. Like almost preteen.
>>
>>3393443
Aside from her stance and the colors, what's different?
>>
>>3393443
Not really a redesign, it's just a question of mid-90s actual Toriyama art vs. modern SE artists trying to mimic Toriyama.
>>
>>3393443

>redesign

Huh

It's just drawn in Toriyama's later style. Design wise, it's exactly the same. Same clothes, same hair, same eye color.
>>
>>3393446
Her face makes me puke.

>>3393448
Why do they even bother trying to mimic him? Why not use the old art forever? The old artwork may look rough and faded, but it looks much better.

I don't understand why everything has to be so shiny and plastic looking now. What exactly prevents them from using the old artwork again?
>>
>>3393451
>same eye color
Surely you jest.
>>
>>3393457
Her face isn't even that different, her head is just a bit smaller and she doesn't have that goofy smile.
>>
>>3393443
I think it's the attitude. Her face and body language are completely different.

Barbara looks lovely and friendly.

Ashlynn looks like an edgy feminist.
>>
>>3393457
Any time you want to ask why SE does anything, just remember it will always have the same answer:

Because they think it will make money or improve sales.

You can disagree, but you don't work for them.
>>
>>3393443
Also, the old colors looked much better. Especially her dark blue dress, black boots and orange hair. She looked cute and badass.
>>
>>3393472
>>3393467
>>3393457

Jesus christ you guys are really reaching
>>
>>3393457
>>3393468
I'm not sure why it needs to be done, but every company does it. Nintendo doesn't use the old, charming, slightly off-model Mario artwork anymore. It's always that ugly, perfect, soulless 3D model with a serious face that they've been using for 10 years now.

I miss this shit so much.
>>
File: 4942600e.jpg (48KB, 808x456px)
4942600e.jpg
48KB, 808x456px
>>3393472
>implying a human girl can be badass even though she has a nasty, pathetic human ass
Barbara is a lowly animal. An ass-having slut.

Slime girls are a lot more clean and pure.
>>
>>3393434
>>3393436
Kenshin Dragon Quest was the first game to use the new design.
>>
>>3393457
>The old artwork may look rough and faded
You answered your own question.
>>
>>3393460
Not only is it garbage, it's not even drawn by Toriyama.

>>3393505
It was ok back then, why is it considered shit now?
>>
>>3393482
No it's not. It absolutely is not. They've actually been going back to the SMB/SMW style for artwork a lot lately.
>>
>>3393507
Show me a modern Mario artwork that looks like it was drawn by a real human being. A digitally colored artwork that looks flawless and dead isn't what I'd call "going back to the old style".
>>
File: x7ef0L8.jpg (556KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
x7ef0L8.jpg
556KB, 1836x3264px
>>3393504
got any other pictures of JP DQ merchandise?
>>
>>3393515
Nice moving the goalposts. You only said that they were only using that soulless 3D Mario render. Which was not true.
>>
>>3393516
I do not. I just picked that up off the Den for that post.
>>
>>3393497
LMAO

Ephraim sauntered...
>>
How are rockslimes even slimes?
>>
I can't play DQ coz I hate toriyamas character style so much
>>
>>3393532
By being slimes, of course.
Except, not.
>>
>>3393535
Bullshit. You can play anything made before DQ8.
>>
Damn, I forgot how much of a grind Torneko's chapter is. Is there a specific enemy that drops Iron Armor most often?
>>
File: 2514_Ortega.jpg (31KB, 228x201px)
2514_Ortega.jpg
31KB, 228x201px
Why is Ortega such a pathetic man?
>Just a mediocre warrior
>Decide to solo the entire adventure
>Almost died once
>Lost a fight/draw but not even against Baramos
>Lost against the weakest Zoma's general
>Died like a bitch
>Gets revived by his son later like a pathetic man he is
>>
File: borkano-01.jpg (554KB, 2347x3889px) Image search: [Google]
borkano-01.jpg
554KB, 2347x3889px
>>3393571
Borkano >>> Papas >>>>>>>>> Ortega

2, 4 and 6 have pathetic dads. An useless old man, a dead angelfucker and a clueless idiot.
>>
>>3393571
>son

Ortega has a daughter.
>>
>>3393532
The way I see it, their skin is stone but they have a gooey core.
>>
>>3393571
Well you have to give him credit for him getting that far all by himself.
>>
File: dqe02_158.jpg (69KB, 728x1166px)
dqe02_158.jpg
69KB, 728x1166px
Manga Maribel is cute! CUTE!
>>
File: 1448512566308.png (521KB, 758x512px) Image search: [Google]
1448512566308.png
521KB, 758x512px
>>3393596
Except she has a butt! So pathetic and dirty! How can she act so high and mighty even though she's human and has an ass? Embarrassing! I want to force Maribel to admit to having an ass in front of everyone! I want to shatter her dignity and honor!
>>
Is VI the best?
>>
>>3393617
Not really, it has big issues with pacing.
>>
File: 1468556643172.jpg (384KB, 750x1050px)
1468556643172.jpg
384KB, 750x1050px
>>3393409
>>3393432

V and VII definitely have the strongest design with VI and X being the weakest.
>>
File: klkkljart.jpg (155KB, 398x405px)
klkkljart.jpg
155KB, 398x405px
>>3393617
No, but it has the best hero, the best girl and the best gimmick.
>>
Where the fuck do I get 6x Iron Armors in Torneko's chapter.
>>
>>3393624
How is VI's design weaker than I, II or III?
>>
File: 1468407049139.jpg (650KB, 1500x1041px)
1468407049139.jpg
650KB, 1500x1041px
>>3393626
iv had the best gimmick it worked so well i have no idea why they dropped it in the first place.
>>
>>3393624
>Rapey the horse in the background
Is Bianca thinking about him or something?
>>
>>3393627
Buy em.
>>
>>3393631
Yeah, imagine playing as Sancho and your kids trying to find you in V. Imagine playing as Barbara or Terry before the events of the game happened.
>>
>>3393616
I like that this has become pasta.
Who knew that spergs browsed /vr/ of all places.
>>
>>3393635
I know they've dropped before. I want to save a couple bucks to get a Cautery Sword.
>>
>>3393636
I dunno, I think not being able to control anyone while petrified in V was a nice touch. It basically shows you that your life completely stopped, and it enhances the relief you get from finally being restored. Getting to see that family fall apart was interesting too.
>>
>>3393627
I remember grinding it in Torneko's last dungeon (the one with water I think) but it might be the sword not armor.
>>
>>3393631
This art is so good. The characters feel alive.

Compare it with the generic DS cover and tell me the art didn't go to shit. Just a bunch of faggots standingthere with a boring pose that is recycled over and over again for the manual, the ingame battle portraits and the official site.
>>
File: originalvremake.png (248KB, 510x350px)
originalvremake.png
248KB, 510x350px
>>3393627
hunting monsters right outside the castle.

>>3393630

you are probably mixing up original artwork with remake artwork
>>
>>3393637
Variations of the "mindblowing fact" pasta and the Ephraim pasta have been plaguing /jp/ for years, dude.

And I love it.
>>
>>3393646
The remake artwork looks like shit, as always. But the original Loto still doesn't look better than the original DQ6 hero. I always found his design kind of boring.
>>
File: dq3fc_jpn_front.jpg (653KB, 1500x1020px)
dq3fc_jpn_front.jpg
653KB, 1500x1020px
>>3393646
>That original
So good
>>
>>3393646
Is the one on the right official art? It looks like a bad edit of something else. How does that guy even look like Loto?
>>
>>3393650
they are charming in their simplicity. when compared to the other games 6 stands out as an odd ball. its not necessarily bad but the vibe its completely different.
>>
>>3393649
The Ephraim pasta was written by some random person in 2003. It was destined to disappear forever and be forgotten as soon as the original site died. But a /jp/ autist found it and now it's eternal. It will remain on the internet forever.

http://www.100words.com/entry/45467
>>
>>3393657
A friendly reminder not to reply to bait.
>>
>all this fatherposting

What the fuck is wrong with your brains? This is garbage, not interesting. Let people actually discuss Dragon Quest.
>>
What is the Dragon Ball Z of DQ?
What's the GT?
>>
File: 39d00e86.jpg (289KB, 1163x1211px)
39d00e86.jpg
289KB, 1163x1211px
>>3393658
Yeah, Toriyama's style changed a lot between 4 and 6. But for some reason, I love the original DQ6 artwork while the DQ3 remake artwork looks like absolute crap. Same with the DQ2 and DQ1 remakes.

The newer art styles don't fit the older characters. Barbara looks cute as hell here >>3388841 and all the other DQ6 artwork looks perfectly fine, while all the DQ3 characters look horrible and middle-aged in this picture. They were drawn around the same time, but only the characters that were designed with this art style in mind look good. Trying to draw older characters with a different style is a bad idea.
>>
>>3393681
III
VI
>>
>>3393683
Female warrior, priest and sage look cute
>>
>>3393689
they look live dwarves
>>
>>3393691
women are on average significantly shorter than men
>>
Every DQ dad is there for simple expository details. A prologue. How fucking low is your IQ to decide to make a discussion about them?
>>
>>3393698
>>3393680
How high is your blood pressure to get peeved at it
>>
>>3393703
Pretty high, when I can't get a simple gameplay answer that GameFAQs would answer better.
>>
>>3393689
Female warrior was never cute. At least she didn't have muscles before.

I think only the female merchant looks as cute as the original. The fighter used to be the cutest, but now she looks disgusting. Female Loto's mouth looks like a grandma's and the bunny girl looks 50.

Male merchant is no longer fat. Wasn't Taloon originally based on him? Male priest looks like a freak midget. Male sage looks like a bodybuilder. And the new thief class looks impossibly ugly no matter how you look at them.
>>
>>3388841
Her mouth and nose are drawn like a slime's. In a good way. She looks beautiful.
>>
>>3393708
Merchant was never fat.
Granted, he wasn't that skinny, but he wasn't fat.
>>
>>3393715
I remember him being a fat fuck in all versions of the game. Was he seriously skinny in the original art?
>>
File: DQIIIMartialArtistClass.png (429KB, 647x650px) Image search: [Google]
DQIIIMartialArtistClass.png
429KB, 647x650px
So cute.
>>
>>3393721
Husky. Not a fat fuck, but not ridiculously skinny.
>>
>>3393713
Suraimus don't have noses. Or bodily functions.

Unlike that disgusting human girl.
>>
File: 1456071951783.jpg (302KB, 602x695px)
1456071951783.jpg
302KB, 602x695px
>>3393724
Actually, he IS ridiculously skinny.

>>3391429
>>
File: dq10wii_328.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px)
dq10wii_328.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
>>3390012
Glacos would never put his fishdick in her dirty human asshole! He isn't a sick pervert like you.

Glacos will only mate with cute assless mermaids such as this one.
>>
>>3393741
What is Mollie doing there? She should be home cooking for Borkano.
>>
Reddit has invaded. Instead of discussing gameplay or translation differences, we have niggers discussing waifus and fuckability. You subhumans need to die and burn in hell.
>>
>>3393749
Could you use Lump Wizard as a fleshlight?
>>
>>3393749
You will still complain if we say anything about those horrible accents. What do you want to talk about?
>>
>>3393749
That's not reddit invading, that's /v/.
>>
>>3393753
>What do you want to talk about?
How to best play the games, strategies, etc. Instead, you let your loins speak for you like the Redditor that you are.
>>
>>3393708
>Female warrior was never cute

this i will not stand for
>>
>>3393756
Same thing.
>>
>>3393749
You can still discuss gameplay or translation differences and get tons of replies. What's wrong with some lewd in between? It's not like it's preventing anyone from having a serious discussion.

Don't be a prude.
>>
>>3393749
4chan is reddit though

Go fuck yourself with your """""""gameplay"""""""
>>
>>3393758
>How to best play the games

the originals in chronological order only acceptable skip is for II. we've been thru this many times already

>strategies

DQ its not even that complex aside from the class system in later games which is most of the time a matter of personal preference.
>>
>>3393763
>Don't be a prude.
You have to be 18 to use this website. And before you make your snarky comment, no, no grown man cares about fucking 'prudeness'
>>
File: Alena is the champion.jpg (315KB, 770x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Alena is the champion.jpg
315KB, 770x1200px
>>3393749
>he doesn't want to spank Alena's sweaty ass cheeks and lick Barbara's armpits
Gay.
>>
>>3393768
I agree 100% with this nigga.
>>
>>3393772
>no amos
>>
>>3393749
>implying we can't have both things
Go back to church.
>>
>>3393775
Burn in hell. This series has better things to discuss than which fictional virtual girl you want to fuck.
>>
>>3393781
>still implying we can't discuss both things
Even Horii agrees that waifus are a very important part of DORAGON KUESUTO. He even made a game where you marry the waifus.
>>
>>3393783
Consider suicide. But, since I know you're an operative of FBI/CIA/NSA, get ready to suffer in the burning lakes for eternity.
>>
>>3393749
>all those replies
Stop shitting up the thread, niggardo. We had people discussing waifus, art style and gameplay before you came.
>>
What about a Dragon Quest in space?

FFIV did it.
>>
>>3393795
The waifu shit has become the main discussion. That is the discussion of a fucking chimp. Either discuss the gameplay and/or translations or kill yourself.
>>
>>3393806
I would like an egyptian/arabic themed DQ. I love desert towns in these games. Imagine a whole game like that.

A prehistoric DQ would be fucking garbage, though. Prehistoric levels are always the worst part of any game. It's such a boring time period.

>>3393808
Why don't you enjoy the waifu discussion like everyone else? Did they cut off your balls or something? I don't feel sorry for a puritan like you. I hope you never get them back.
>>
>>3393824
>another Kiefer focused game, except this time its a out roaming the desert with the nomad dudes

might be cool
>>
>>3393824
Prehistoric DQ would literally be Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3393830
>another Kiefer focused game, except this time its a out roaming the desert with the nomad dudes
fund that shit
>>
File: Dragon_Quest_II_Artwork_2.jpg (113KB, 477x358px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Quest_II_Artwork_2.jpg
113KB, 477x358px
Currently playing through Dragon Quest II for the Super Famicom. Was wondering though, I'm at the Path to Rhone right now and acquiring the Thunder Sword and Armor of Roto. My characters are currently at level 23, 20 and 17. Should I grind up a bit before heading to Hargon's castle? Or will I have a chance to do that once there? Would levels would be a good idea to get to?
>>
>>3393912
at least everyone at 40
>>
>>3393824
> Why don't you enjoy the waifu discussion like everyone else? Did they cut off your balls or something?

I enjoy talking about real womans, like everyone else. Did they cut off any contact with real woman?
>>
>>3393617
Yes, it was the ultimate DQ.
>>
>>3393631
There is so many things about DQ4 that is great that I'm shocked no one really tried it themselves. Like the whole chapter aspect. It gives the player a better understanding of all the different side characters. And makes the player wonder more about the Hero/Heroine they are going to play as later.
>>
>>3393652
Might be one of the best video game cover personally. The only thing that's weird is how it only shows the male Hero instead of both. I mean they show both genders for every class in the game so them only having the male Hero is weird.
>>
>>3394153
In the NES version male and female hero both used the exact same sprite. Toriyama never even drew a female Loto until the remake.
>>
NES or SNES
>>
>>3393997
So where would be the best place to grind?
>>
>>3394381
snes
>>
>>3394586
woah my bad hero at lvl 30 party members whatever lvl they are by then. dont remember where to grind tho. there are metal slimes at the destroyed castle but not sure if the most effective place.

>>3394152
the best part about the chapter system is that it fits perfectly with the way dragon quest is meant to be played. short bursts of game-play with a simple storyline. you get to know each party setup enough to feel comfortable but not so much as to get bored or repetitive. they really should have kept this method.
>>
I have a question to ask, as a new comer to the series, how should I get into it? And I don't mean which specific game, I mean which versions should I pick up? Like I know the nes and snes ones are on the phone, does that port change anything mechanics wise? And I'm fine with the translation being a "bastardization" of the original, I just want to know from a gameplay stand point.
>>
>>3394837
Probably the latest remakes then, they're the ones with the gameplay tweaks and fixes. Some might tell you since they're easier they're ruined. They're all good though.

The phone ports are good.
>>
File: dq1.jpg (203KB, 1294x649px) Image search: [Google]
dq1.jpg
203KB, 1294x649px
>>3394837

i recommend starting with the first one since its short and covers everything dragon quest stands for, regarding which version if you are purist just emuate the nes version but if archaic menus turn you off then go for the latest mobile re-make.
>>
>>3394843
>>3394859
Thanks
I did pick up the first for my phone because three bucks, and I've liked it, but I know it's much more simplistic by comparison of later ones and just wanted to make sure those ports were decent as well.
>>
>>3394873
While I and II mobile are decent remakes, aspect ratio issues and personal issues regarding scale aside, III is something of a gutted port of SNES version. I reccomend emulating that rather than buying the mobile version.
>>
>>3394883
How about IV-VI? VII and VIII i plan on picking up for the 3DS when those come out.
>>
>>3394903
They're pretty good. IV in particular is the only English version to have party chat.
>>
So I just got to my first casino in Dragon Quest V. Why is this music so fucking good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhq_qW33Q4Y
>>
>>3395045
Casino music is always good.
Except the DS version of VI. For some reason it felt lacking.
>>
new thread when
>>
File: works_every_time.png (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
works_every_time.png
18KB, 500x500px
it appears we are sinking somebody should make a new thread
>>
File: Metal Slime.gif (482B, 38x38px)
Metal Slime.gif
482B, 38x38px
New thread: >>3395847
Thread posts: 590
Thread images: 109

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.