[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5K g1OuXskI How did a seri

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: alone in the dark trilogy.png (87KB, 220x275px) Image search: [Google]
alone in the dark trilogy.png
87KB, 220x275px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Kg1OuXskI

How did a series so terrible get so many games?
>>
Why does this shit keep getting reposted? It's not like you can bait with this given the size of the AotD fanbase.
>>
Don't tell me you watched the entire 32 minutes of that video.

How young are you?

Now, Alone in the Dark. This game invented the third person 3D survival horror genre back in 1992.

It was designed by Frederick Raynal who had a great knack for fusing action and adventure elements together in a way that influenced countless games.

I think new players forget that this is an adventure game and try to combat every creature. Combat was never Raynal's strong point and especially with the slow 3D animations.

The game is easy to play. You're searching an old house looking for inventory items. You might encounter a few books and diaries, which you must read as they provide hints as to how to defeat the creatures and unlock all the secrets in the house.

I think it was a revolutionary game for its time and it's been one of my favourites for years. It got so many games because more people agreed with me rather than you.
>>
>>3379195
Then explain its sequels
>>
>>3379305

Well, yeah - those games were cash ins no doubt. Not even designed by the same people.

AitD3 came out in 1994 when Raynal was releasing the ahead-of-its-time action adventure Little Big Adventure.

Also, 3D development changed so much in this time period - when 2 and 3 were released on console, they already felt a generation behind.
>>
New Nightmare actually wasn't that bad.
>>
Alone In The Dark didn't just invent survival horror as we knew it in the 90's.

It also invented the use of 3D models with 2D pre-rendered backgrounds. This technique shaped the entire industry up until the PS2 generation, and not just in survival horror. Think of how Final Fantasy VII uses it for instance, and everyone forgets it's all owed to AitD.

In terms technical advancement and influence, it is a very important game, and anyoneee who claims to be a "retro gamer" should know that; the problem is that "retro gamers", especially the loud youtube american ones, are mostly console babies who think OoT was full of innovations.

>>3379426
It had tons of potential, but it was also left somewhat unfinished with clunky hit detection and some glitches. There are also some questionable puzzle/progression design choices, like that goddamn wall you have to climb over.
>>
I got alone in the dark when it came out, it was revolutionary. Not only that, it was cozy as fuck.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.