[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are opinions on this game so divisive? You'll either

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

File: cccover.jpg (102KB, 640x610px) Image search: [Google]
cccover.jpg
102KB, 640x610px
Why are opinions on this game so divisive? You'll either get people calling this one of the best jrpgs ever or people calling it absolute shit that paled in comparison to Trigger.
>>
>>3375857
Most, if not all criticisms seem to stem from people who are angry at Cross not only because it wasn't related "enough" to Trigger, but also because it "shat" all over its story by killing the main characters and making you play through the perspective of some characters who think Crono and company were actually wrong.

These people obviously pretend that the entire setting, history and antagonist factions of the game are not reskins/continuations of Trigger plot points, and they seem blissfully unaware that the point of the game is to prevent Crono and co. from dying and not succeeding.

But seriously, beyond that it's hard to find criticisms that aren't relative. The main one that may be construed as making it absolute shit is some people saying the battle system is "bad" or "convoluted". I'd say it's customizable to the point of being annoying if you want to "max" everything out, but it's far from "bad", and it's so simple/easy that most of the game leans towards cakewalk territory, and that's the most legitimate complaint I've seen.

Another common complaint is "too many characters" but that's just being whiny, nobody forces you to use them and it's just fun content to toy around with, why would it be a negative? Most of them are unabashadly unrelated to the main plot so it's not like the game pretends they matter. Again, it's only an issue if you want to max everyone out, but then again why would you?

Beyond that, the battle music being bad or the pacing being shit are real complaints but far from deserving the title of "absolute shit". I dunno. From what I've seen very few criticisms are level-headed and it's mostly people mad about it not being more like Trigger.
>>
I think most opinions is that it's a mediocre JRPG with pretty good music and pretty pre-rendered backgrounds.

I haven't seen people saying it's an absolute shit, or anyone calling it one of the best ever. From overrated PS1-era JRPGs, the overrated unfinished pos is Xenogears just kidding, I love that one, but holy shit that disc 2.
>>
>>3375857
Well, I know nothing, but a cheap copy of the game popped up recently and I'm getting it, so I'll report back in on my opinion of the game when I start.
>>
>>3375857
It's incredibly easy (and you can't avoid it, since the levels are fixed, the Element system is messy and you only get the "tactical" stuff near the end of the game when it's pretty much useless, 95% of all characters are paper-thin in terms of background, and you only have 3 character slots (and Serge has to be in there until NG+), so you end up with only two or tree possible character combinations unless you want to deviate because you like some design of a minor character. Most battle systems are underutilized and you can win almost every battle by pretty much spamming physical attacks and some heals. Dungeons are very long and full of asinine puzzles, and they drag on forever. Lots of fetch quests too.

Music is good, but overly repetitive, most special bosses don't have their own theme and instead use the (terrible) standard battle theme, and while the ones that do have well-composed music, it's very chill and not-combaty at all, which only fits with one specific battle (Miguel).

The plot is a complete fanfic-tier mess, it has good concepts (dimension travel) but it's poorly presented and you only get proper explanations at the very end in very lengthy text-only info-dumps. It seems to loathe Trigger and shits on it at every chance, and it disregards the setting to go with a more standard "tolkien fantasy race checklist" setup, with fairies and dorfs and shit. It also has a completely terrible plot of humans vs nature that is a complete failure, since the entire place the game takes place into is non-industrialized and full of green, making the whole "humans destroy the environment and nature hates them" plot point a complete disaster (specially when the race most noisy about it attacks you with a fucking smog-spewing tank while casually genociding another species)

Visuals are awesome for the time.

If it had more character slots, made more use of Elements, and was harder, I'd forgive the terrible plot.
>>
File: rude jester.png (94KB, 381x353px) Image search: [Google]
rude jester.png
94KB, 381x353px
This is best girl
>>
File: chrono-trigger.jpg (472KB, 857x600px) Image search: [Google]
chrono-trigger.jpg
472KB, 857x600px
>>3375857
I played Cross as a kid all the time without even realizing it was a sequel and didn't play Trigger until I was already in my 20's so it's not blind nostalgia when I say that Trigger is by far the better game. That said, I don't think Cross is a bad game. It's just that the gameplay can be very confusing and cryptic at times and the plot is very disjointed, even more so if you are familiar with the events of Chrono Trigger since Cross has almost nothing to do with it. There were also way too many pointless side characters to acquire who added nothing to the story and the gameplay style was occasionally somewhat tedious. I liked the graphics and music but that's about it. In contrast, trigger had appealing graphics and sound, memorable characters, fun gameplay, and a coherent plot. It's all around the better game.
>>
>>3375857
it didn't have toriyama art on the cover
>>
>>3378893

Fair point, that CGI is horrendous.
>>
>>3375857
Didn't age well, but during the heyday of JRPG's, when the format was still fresh, it was an amazingly fun adventure, though generally pretty easy.
>>
Dark souls gets the same reaction so I assume chrono cross is also s decent game
>>
Hyped as a sequel to Chrono Trigger, so to those of us who grew up obsessed with CT it was a massive let down. If you evaluate it as its own game, it's a decent JRPG with gorgeous music, good visuals, and a convoluted storyline.
>>
>>3378997

What the fuck are you even talking about.

>>>/v/
>>
>>3378997
nigger, dumb.
niggerdom.
>>
>>3379004
>so to those of us who grew up obsessed with CT it was a massive let down.
I grew up with Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross was not a massive let down to me. The only thing that bugged me when playing is the shallow cast of characters, but I loved the atmosphere, gameplay, and story. I don't remember hating the battle music that much when I was playing CC as a teen, but I tried to play through CC about a year or so ago and I realized that battle music was absolute shit.

Oh and besides the shallow cast of characters, the only other thing that disappointed me was that battles went into a separate screen and didn't happen seamlessly on the level like in CT. In CT, it really helps keep the immersion and seems like such a simple thing to do. It wasn't the end of the world to me that CC didn't do this since pretty much no RPGs do that.
>>
>>3379117
>It wasn't the end of the world to me that CC didn't do this since pretty much no RPGs do that.
Grandia 3 does this.
>>
>>3375959
I was gonna write up a critique but this sums up basically everything I was gonna say. It's not a bad RPG but it's not a great one, it has too many issues to really compete with the other fantastic RPGs released in that era, even when judged on its own terms instead of as a sequel.

I think people just cling to its comparisons with Trigger because they're so fucking prominent. From the art design to how battles work to the writing to the games pacing, it's so radically different from its predecessor that it's easy to blame its problems on what it changed.
>>
I don't completely understand the criticism for the battle music

It is a little repetitive at first but it certainly isn't the worst I've ever heard.
>>
>>3375857
90% of negative complaints come from Trigger fans who are still butthurt it wasn't Chrono Trigger 2: Electric Boogaloo.
It suffers from mostly the same exact problems that plagued Trigger, too easy, the battle system sounds good in theory but is garbage in practice, very good looking but with little substance.

What it does better than Trigger, despite what everyone else in these threads will tell you, it's the plot and character.

Don't believe idiots like>>3375959 who says that the plot is a fanfic mess, because they didn't understand anything about it, Trigger stops making sense literally at the start due to lmao time travel, Cross has dimensional travel which already makes it much more logical.
It doesn't disregard the setting at all because:
a)It's a parallel universe
b)it's a tiny, tiny portion of the actual world, just a small archipelago of islands
It doesn't shit on Trigger at all because most of the major characters are literal parallels or heavy allusions, like Glenn and Darius and offer an alternate story on Trigger's original characters.
The humans vs environment is a very tiny and almost irrelevant subplot and morons still can't understand that the dorfs were evidently supposed to be a parody of hypocritical treehuggers, but it's mostly the same retard who spews this in every thread and conveniently turns a blind eye on a lot of Trigger's terrible plot holes and shortcomings.

Toriyama's DQ expies are fortunately replaced by a much more competent designer, so they actually have some personality this time, you have lots of characters, with a lot of variety and most of them have nice substories, like Van and Gogh, Glenn, the Dragon Riders, Fargo, Nikki and so on, while a few others are either throwbacks to Trigger or wacky characters, but despite having next to no plot, they all share the same thematic, having to find their place in the world, and all of those do this to an extent.
>>>
>>
>>3380009

Doc has to overcome his depression and accept the fact that he's only a human being and can't save everyone, Starky is a stranded alien in an alien world and must find a way home, Fargo faces is parallel self and tells him to man up and accept his past, there's a really nice subplot with all the people of the Viper Manor that ties up quite a lot of the cast together in a neat way, Nikki is basically Nekki Basara and so on, it's a pretty fun cast overall with lots of flair.

So, CrossI isn't the best RPG there is, far from it, but at least it does try to be original, unlike Trigger.
It's one of the few RPGs who drops the EXP system design, and it doesn't really do it all that bad except being too damn easy.
The elemental field system is heavily inspired by Romancing SaGa's own version of that, but it's not executed as well as SaGa did and ends up being either irrelevant or the best way to end a fight with no inbetweener, but it's still a nice curiosity nonetheless and might be interesting for someone who hasn't played with anything like that.
The vast character roster suffer from bloating compared to Trigger, a lot of characters are hardly different and some have mostly the same slot structures but with different elements, that could be a bummer since characters fall more into categories than being truly unique, but at the same time it gives you a lot of choice in terms of character chemistry, which might be good if you're that kind of person.
Skills suffer from the exact same problem as Trigger, they're mostly souped up magic, combinations are the same and there's little reason to use them, because not only the game is way too easy to justify their use, compared to Trigger you really have to hunt them down and make specific parties whereas Trigger gives mostly everyone at least a combo together, with some exceptions, then again, you really don't need combinations since the game is, just like Trigger, piss easy.
It has its problem, just like every game.
>>
>>3380009
I don't understand it? Dude, what is there to understand? The text dump you get before the final boss explains the shit out of everything, and it's difficult for me to not get it when I precisely list dimensional travel as one of the highlights, from what you can easily deduce I am into that kind of story.

I totally get it's a parallel dimension, but try to fit that in the post with the character limit. Either way, stuff like now eliminating Prometheus, erasing Magus from the plot without removing the remains, and Lavos having a terrible buildup, disregard of the world setting (the setting of Trigger might have been bland, but at least it wasn't a checklist of typical Tolkien races, which ironically made it fresh), and the stupid "Nature's revenge on humans" subplot is just plain retarded (and it's a main driver of the general plot!). It might have worked if not for the game taking place in El fucking Nido. Maybe Porre pollutes like a fucker, but they never show it, so we don't know.

Either way, the issue is how the game paces itself when delivering the world setting. It takes until motherfucking Miguel to see the connection with Trigger, due to how vastly different everything is. By placing the connections that late into the game, it makes it look shoehorned. The whole Lynx being the good guy all along is pretty much lost when he acts like Hot Topic Overlord, king of assholes. I don't have space to write everything, but the plot has several problems that come from pure bad planning. The good parts are too short and, saving for a couple exceptions, just dumped on you instead of growing as you go. Feels like they took two different stories and pasted them together, and they wrote themselves into a corner when they added 5000 characters on top.

That said, stuff like Karsh's or Fargo's stories are done well, because they take time to make you care. And the Dead Sea is very cool. The rest is 5/10 at best.
>>
>>3380009
>Toriyama's DQ expies are fortunately replaced by a much more competent designer
..who makes a series of Escaflowne expies instead.
>>
File: 89708.jpg (135KB, 800x546px) Image search: [Google]
89708.jpg
135KB, 800x546px
>>3380194
>disregard of the world setting
It's a parallel dimension you fucking caveman.
>the setting of Trigger might have been bland, but at least it wasn't a checklist of typical Tolkien races, which ironically made it fresh
Right, because a clone of DQ setting down to the monster trio looking like the average toriyama alien villain is so fresh.
>and the stupid "Nature's revenge on humans" subplot is just plain retarded
This is awfully rich coming from someone who still didn't understand the ironic purpose of the dwarves after almost 20 years and still insists that a parallel dimension should be a clone of the original setting and not its own thing.
>It takes until motherfucking Miguel to see the connection with Trigger
So you willfully ignore all the evident parallels like Glenn? And how is it bad that you need to get to Miguel to see the connection with Trigger?
I can say the same fucking thing about Lavos being a complete mistery until you get to Zeal, does that make it bad? I don't think so.
>The good parts are too short and, saving for a couple exceptions, just dumped on you instead of growing as you go.
Which is literally what Trigger does where each character bar Frog and Robo becomes irrelevant after their own arc, and only because Robo has two arcs and Frog has a reunion with Cyrus in an optional quest, let alone Lucca which does basically nothing for the whole game besides being there and patching up Robo.
Get off your high horse already.
>>3380239
>Escaflowne expies
Sure, because Yuki's first work was Escaflowne.
And I'm pretty sure Van and Serge are literal clones, just like Kodai and Okita in Yamato 2199 look totally like Serge and Lord Viper, amirite?
>>
File: sergevan.png (441KB, 890x383px) Image search: [Google]
sergevan.png
441KB, 890x383px
>>3380258
>Sure, because Yuki's first work was Escaflowne.
Nope, as his body of work dates a little farther back than that.

>And I'm pretty sure Van and Serge are literal clones
I didn't say they were "literal clones", but considering what happens when you make Van's chin less pointy and his hair more spikier, I think your claim holds a bit more water. It's even funnier when you compare Serge's more 'detailed' art with Van's movie counterpart.

>just like Kodai and Okita in Yamato 2199 look totally like Serge and Lord Viper, amirite?
It easy to make more "varied" designs when you're using another person's as a base. And even then I can still see some shades of movie Van's design in Yuki's Susumu.
>>
>>3380258
>It's a parallel dimension you fucking caveman.
Not the anon you're talking to but this isn't even close to right.
El Nido in it's entirety isn't some alternate dimension that sits next to the setting of Trigger. It's an artificial setting created after the time crash as a result of all the shit going on with FATE, Chronopolis and the Dragonians.

And the game never explains where the hell Demi-Humans came from. The only assumption that can be made is that they're half-human/half-mystics that just never came up in the events of Trigger.
>>
What is even the appeal of playing RPGs? I feel like the whole reason they got big during ps1 era is because
>muh multiple discs
>epic story
>100 hours of gameplay#!!
But really when you get down to it there isnt much of a "game" there.
>>
>>3380307
>100 hours of gameplay
Explain to me how this is a bad thing.
>>
>>3380310
Because excessive padding soon becomes tiresome.
>>
>>3380313
Not if you're an autist like me.
>>
>>3380290
>considering what happens when you make Van's chin less pointy and his hair more spikier,
Van and Serge's only similarity is the skin and hair colours, they have different expressions, completely different clothes and Serge is quite a bit more stocky than Van, now compare Crono with your average Saiyan design and give him a sword, it's exactly the same down to the cocky expression and Aila is quite literally Lunch in animal skin clothes.
>It easy to make more "varied" designs when you're using another person's as a base.
Yuki's Kodai is nowhere near similar to Matsumoto's Kodai besides colours, same with all the others, if anything Okita is similar to the dwarves in Lodoss, hell, even the girls aren't similar to any of the previous girls by Yuuki, you can't compare Akira to Pirotess besides them having white hair and dark skin.
Now take characters like Sneff, Guile, Starky, Grobyc, Sprigg, Greco, Nikki or Fargo, good luck trying to find some earlier version of those in any of Yuki's work, and that's really a fourth of Cross' cast.
>>3380292
>. It's an artificial setting created after the time crash as a result of all the shit going on with FATE, Chronopolis and the Dragonians.
Which is, a parallel world going off of an alternate timeline.

>And the game never explains where the hell Demi-Humans came from
Considering Fargo's storyline it's safe to assume they're the result of human and mystic breeding.
>that just never came up in the events of Trigger.
Trigger isn't known for its deep lore and worldbuilding, you don't explore the setting of any of the races besides humans and reptites, and even then, you arrive in medias res when it comes to reptites and don't know much about them besides that they were there earlier than humans.
And considering that again, this is a parallel dimension, things have gone differently from the Trigger continuum, I don't even see why I should worry about demihumans when there's aliens, skeleton clowns and living turnips around.
>>
>>3379945
>It is a little repetitive at first

What, so it gets less repetitive over time?
>>
>>3380327
yes
>>
>>3380321
>Which is, a parallel world going off of an alternate timeline.
Did you even play the game?

El Nido exists as a result of Trigger's ending throughout the post-Zeal Trigger timeline. This timeline is split and its "alternation" is Serge dying or not (which causes a butterfly effect of tons of other things too). FATE is Mother Brain, Chronopolis is 2300 AD and the Dragonians are Reptites, El Nido is an intersection of all warring CT factions and exists throughout the entirety of CT's timeline.
>>
>>3380328
I mean the beginning of the song is repetitive, that could have been worded better
>>
kid is a good bitch IMHO
>>
>>3380009
>Chrono Trigger 2: Electric Boogaloo
Please tell me this exists somewhere...
>>
Trigger fans:
>shit execution of a sequel

Cross fans:
>it's a good game

Overlapping criticism:
>plot is a fucking mess
>>
>>3380694
There are so technically yes
>>
>>3380706
I see a lot of Cross fans defend the plot with "Trigger fans just didn't get it."
Even though it's not all that deep, just bloated and poorly paced.
>>
>>3380712
I'm sure any Cross fan would prefer a fleshed out plot and not a text dump. I like Cross and I would never say those oddly paced pages of text was anything resembling a good idea.

I love the fact there are a shit load of characters with background stories that aren't deep. They're like random city folk or stray characters that you recruit on your team, and they have quirky tropes and styles of combat or speech. They're not all meant to be major plot related characters. A retarded dog, random ass client or a pile of bones that you put together yourself? Yeah sure, they're cool.
>>
>>3380719
I meant random ass alien
>>
>tfw no chrono break
>>
>>3380719
The character number bothers me mostly because the excuses for them being there and following Serge are all so weak, and because the need to write around them actually hurts the writing for the more meaningful party members at times since scenes gotta be written with them in mind.

If Cross handled it more like Suikoden or Fire Emblem or something where you're amassing an army united by one cause and have some kind of home base for them to chill around that'd have been a lot better. They'd be able to keep the diversity and strangeness of its 40 character cast without it being so tacked on, and having them fulfill other roles when not in battle would have helped make them less forgettable.

The whole game just feels like lots of good, ambitious ideas that weren't executed as well as they could have been.
>>
>>3380519
>kid is a bitch IMHO
Fixed that for you
>>
>>3380712
I wonder if the fanbase for CC and FF8 are composed of the same guys; both are disappointing follow-up games with the already mentioned faults, and both fanbases with the "2deep4u" approach to any criticism.
>>
>>3380712
It IS poorly paced, but when most criticisms are "it shits over CT's plot!" or "it killed off the CT cast!" it's reasonable and factual to say you're not getting the game. Because it's pretty obvious and heavy handed that the goal of the game is to prevent CT from being shit on and that it uses the deaths of the CT cast to compel you to make things right again.
>>
>>3375959
but trigger isn't anywhere harder either!
don't make it sound like trigger was fucking difficult at all, both games are pretty easy.
>>
>>3380258
1) I say myself it's a parallel dimension, thank you very much.
2) It makes perfect sense for a parallel dimension to be different, granted. Except, you know, from a commercial standpoint, it doesn't, because it ruins any familiarity? On which half of the plot rides upon?
3) Dude, don't even try to excuse the dwarves. They aren't done right, period. They are grating, hypocritical as fuck, and they are trying to take the moral high ground while committing fucking genocide for the lulz (because the "forest" they come from is still pretty lively all things considered. Even if the hydra drying is a slow process, they never show a hint of the "forest" dying. *SHOW, DON'T TELL*. Besides it's a fucking cesspool full of poison anyway. Way to fucking miss the point)
4) The Miguel reveal would be fine, except this was advertised as a sequel when it came out, so making it take several hours to start showing it, is just bad planning.
5) Glenn isn't Frog. His design and name are entirely pandering, even if he is a legit character in his own merits.
6) You forget that the characters you pick in Trigger get specific lines only for them in various plot events. In Cross, you can have them say totally out-of-character stuff because the only difference is the accent generator working, with very minimal exceptions (which are usually mandatory). That's why having so many characters is a problem. Even if it's subtle characterization, it's better than making someone's speech pattern their only personality.
7) What high horse, dude? You are the one being totally closed to criticism of the game.

Face it man, the game being a mixture of the "Nature's revenge" plot and the "Radical Dreamers" plot stitched together is very detrimental to the story. It's like those import movies that are two movies spliced together with phone calls trying them together. If you like the game you can accept its flaws.
>>
>>3380810
True, Trigger isn't hard, but you can go underleveled on purpose to make it harder. Cross' "star level" system completely prevents that, which is why I complain. In Cross even keeping your equipment at default makes it easy, which combined with the "physical attacks destroy everything and Elements are almost useless" design, makes it a chore. You only *need* to use Elements in a couple battles.

Which is funny because someone was "NO U"-ing saying that in Trigger magic is useless too, but I bet they used Confusion a lot.
>>
>>3380769
Well, I'll use the argument of everyone who is "too deep for you" to counter your argument.

>It's alternate dimension versions of the CT cast.
What reason do we have to care then?

I know I am being an ass on purpose, but just to show that argument has flaws.
>>
>>3375871
>Another common complaint is "too many characters" but that's just being whiny, nobody forces you to use them and it's just fun content to toy around with, why would it be a negative?

I think a lot of people just wanted to have more backstory and story with them rather than just being minor characters.
>>
>>3381157
Well, those people clearly didn't play the game because them dying is not "alternate" to CT. Both Home and Another world are futures of the CT world, and Serge being alive makes Home (where Lucca, Robo, and maybe even Frog, Crono and Marle die) the main dimension. This is clear throughout the entire game. Any argument about the story being alternate/a gaiden/whatever is going to be flawed if it's making stuff up that contradicts the game.

>>3381165
Maybe about 10 of them have solid backstories and development, though. Certainly Kid and Harle and Lynx, and all the Acacia Dragoon gang (including Riddle, Glenn etc) plus Fargo Nikki, etc. Out of the remaning 30 I'd say half of them have short sidequests and "only" like 10 of them don't really have anything going for them, like Turnip or NeoFio, but that's usually just for joke characters.

It is true that even if the remaining 30 characters have "some" backstory/story, for many it's not enough at all and most certainly NONE of them have any relation to the main story, which is a con if you do expect a CT sort of dynamic where even Ayla played a strong role.
>>
>>3380723
What would Chrono Break even be about?
>>
File: CO--gscVEAAOo-m.jpg (52KB, 569x516px) Image search: [Google]
CO--gscVEAAOo-m.jpg
52KB, 569x516px
Was Serge gay?
>>
>>3381186
Yeah I know, I am just using the argument of that "you didn't get it" guy from above to be an asshole.

Although wasn't the main dimension the one where Serge dies? Pretty sure Home World is considered the anomaly in-game.

What really pisses me off about the characters is that you can't really use them in battle. For one the limited number of slots (you can argue this is true for Trigger, but in there all combinations were at least decent, and there are only a handful of characters. Other reason is that only Kid, Fargo and Mel can steal (and Mel sucks). Only a few characters have combos (and most people goes with Glenn for it). Since Serge is OP and a constant until NG+, 2 slots for like 40 characters is just criminal. It's totally asking for 5 slots.
>>
>>3381218
u get to play as crono and all the original gang again
>>
>>3381414
But what do they do?
>>
>>3381236
Obviously.

Actually...what the fuck is with Serge? He's a silent protagonist at the very end of the PSX era, when main characters being fleshed out was more of the norm. How come he's several years behind the trends?
>>
>>3381218
They could make a game about Schala looking for Magus in a super realistic setting, like the ending of the series.
>>
>>3381524
serge isn't real
>>
>>3381727
Wow, this is totally related to what he posted
>>
>>3381610
>SCHALA "Hey Guile, do you know where Magus is?"
>GUILE "I used to be him, but I was retconned, so now I am a quantum theorist's wet dream. If you open the box, is the Magus alive or dead?"
>SCHALA "What the fuck Guile are you high?"
>GUILE "...yes. Your daughter-clone gave me too much pot"
>SCHALA "...I don't talk about my daughter-clone and you know it."
>GUILE "..."
>SCHALA "..."

Top tier fanfic.
>>
>>3381120
>you know, from a commercial standpoint, it doesn't, because it ruins any familiarity?
No, it doesn't, especially when said familiarity wasn't even planned by the devs.
You're literally complaining that the devs didn't pander to you when they explicitly said they wanted to make something that could stand on its own without being completely dependent on Trigger, your own fault if you buy something without reading the ingredients.
>They are grating, hypocritical as fuck
That was exactly their point, you dumb fucking Triggernigger, how many times have I to repeat that? What part of "they were done like that on purpose" you don't understand?
>so making it take several hours to start showing it, is just bad planning.
See point one, and if you say that's a bad planning then I can totally say bullshit like Magus being playable right at the very end despite seeing him in concept art bullshit, and you know, it isn't.
You're just a literal butthurt fanboy that didn't have the game suck Trigger's cock, you're the same entitled shitposter who complain about a totally fine sequel not being what your own fanfic is about.
>Glenn isn't Frog
Are you fucking retarded? Glenn is a complete parallel to Frog, down to his very fucking name, sword, abilities and even quest, it's what normal, not illiterate people can safely identify as an "alternate take" or "parallel version" of a character, of course he's not practically Frog, but he's meant to be it's Cross counterpart.
>You forget that the characters you pick in Trigger get specific lines only for them in various plot events.
So now you outright lie? Who do you think you're going to fool? Every character in Trigger had the same fucking line with, surprise surprise, different speech patterns,
>You are the one being totally closed to criticism of the game.
Shut up you passive aggressive bitch, I myself have heavily criticized the game, what I don't accept is outright false criticism and lies spread by you Triggerniggers.
>>
>>3381753
1) Oh right, so it's not dependent on Trigger, despite one half of the plot being entirely dependent on it. You are, however, forgetting half of the idea was a Radical Dreamers remake, and what was Radical Dreamers? A lame fanfic for Trigger where Guile is Magus and Kid is Schala's clone against a guy called Lynx trying to steal a Frozen Flame in Viper Manor. Sounds familiar? Yeeeah. So you just can't claim it's not related to Trigger, sorry. Look it up, or are you telling me you never looked into Radical Dreamers? Given your love for Cross, it's hard to believe.

2) You said "parody of hypocritical treehuggers", but you know... it's played completely seriously, maybe you are the one misinterpreting it, because everyone else agrees they are annoying. Specially when they are not the only ones doing it. Are the elemental dragons a parody of treehuggers too? The fairies?

3) "Butthurt fanboy"? What, praytell, gives you the idea I am "butthurt"? Because I don't adore it like a fanboy? Am I obliged to like it because...you say so? Let me remind you that you are the one being aggressive and throwing up insults just because I don't like some game you like. You are the one that replied to me first, after all.

4) Yes, Glenn isn't Frog, even if he looks like human Frog and shares the name. An alternate take doesn't make it any less pandering. Wait, but you said
>You're literally complaining that the devs didn't pander to you when they explicitly said they wanted to make something that could stand on its own without being completely dependent on Trigger
In short, you are contradicting yourself. Choose one.

5) Someone didn't pay attention when playing Trigger. Also remember how proud the localization team for Cross was about the accent generator used for the very purpose I am describing?

6) Resorting to elementary school level of insults doesn't help your argument.
>>
>>3375857
loved the music, HATED the shitty 3D graphics, was fugly even back in the day
>>
>>3382082
>was fugly even back in the day
Really? I remember it being praised as the most technically impressive Squaresoft game on the PSX.
>>
>>3381798
>Oh right, so it's not dependent on Trigger, despite one half of the plot being entirely dependent on it
What part of the word "completely" you don't understand? Are you being retarded on purpose to bait a reaction?
Do you even know enough English to understand what I'm talking about?
Let me highlight my own post for you.
>they wanted to make something that could stand on its own without being completely dependent on Trigger
With COMPLETELY being the keyword here.
>it's played completely seriously
That's exactly how you recognize that it's not meant to be played in favour of the dwarves, but I can't expect much from someone who doesn't even know what the word "completely" means, grasping some entry level subtlety in a game for children must be hard for you.
>What, praytell, gives you the idea I am "butthurt
The fact that you explicitly lie, make hypocritical points about Cross which are Trigger's very same problems, complain that it's not too dependent on Trigger on one hand than say the contrary and act like a passive aggressive little bitch.
>In short, you are contradicting yourself
I am not, but whatever goes for your delirious mind.
As you yourself stated earlier, Glenn isn't Frog/CT Glenn, but it's an alternate take that, while similar and having many throwbacks at the original one, has his own story, he's not a coward like CT Glenn and his storyline with Cyrus/Darius is pretty different, as well as the Masamune.
A throwback, or parallel, isn't pandering, especially in a "series" with two and a half games, and then again, YOU are the one who was complaining about Cross shitting on Trigger or not having enough connection, and yet now you complain about it being too pandering? Yeah, go fuck yourself.
>Someone didn't pay attention when playing Trigger
Don't make me whip out Trigger and Cross' scripts, because that will be your final nail in your coffin of lies, I'm giving you one last chance to stop before you get humiliated even further.
>>
>>3382082
nigga it's still the single-most beautiful thing on PS next to final fantasy ix

get the fuck out
>>
>>3382097
So Lucca is Doc and Crono is Marty...so who is Robo?

>>3382128
Dude you were the one replying to me all pissed off because I don't agree with you over a videogame when replying to the OPs question. I concede that games are serious business, but come on now.

You point out that I am being hypocritical, but that's precisely the problem with the game, it tries to be a sequel but at the same time it tries too hard to be its own thing. The thing I get from the game is "yeah we are totally following on the steps of Trigger but we totally left behind that early 90s storytelling and we are so much more ambitious and deep!" Also the connection is flawed because of the way the game is structured, it almost feels like there were two writers competing with each other.

>>3382082
Dude, no, look at other games made in the same year and CC is definitely better looking. Multiple models and backgrounds would be usable today if you changed the textures and applied modern materials on them. The guys who did the visuals did one hell of a job within the PSX's capabilities. Even today it looks very competent and colorful, except for the low resolution and the PSX's speedhacks that distorted textures at certain angles.
>>
>>3375857
I'm sure there are a lot of reasons people are divided. It's to be expected when a franchise gets capped off with a game it has nothing in common with.

Like, let me make a kind of comparison here. Imagine that Square-enix finally lost its last shred of dignity and made Final Fantasy VI-2 but the kicker is it has none of the characters of FFVI, it doesn't have any of the locations of FFVI, it doesn't mention the events of FFVI, there are no espers, it's story centers around a war between humans and elves (who suddenly exist), there is no steam-punk technology, it's lead artist is Akira Toriyama, it's 3d, it's on the sega saturn, there are 40 characters 90% of which are trainable monsters, and battles play out like a game of Yu-Gi-Oh. Gee, do you think that would go over well?

In the example and the real game the way each game uses characters is the most jarring. It's not just that there are too many characters, it's that having developed characters that interact with each other was a major strong point of the previous game.

What I don't get is why there are people who think it doesn't suck. Even if you ignore the fact that it's an obvious attempt to cash in on a popular game it has no relation to and just judge it as an independent work, it's still a subpar game. I'd compare it to Baten Kaitos but that makes me feel bad for Baten Kaitos. Baten Kaitos doesn't deserve that shit.
>>
>>3383596
>What I don't get is why there are people who think it doesn't suck
Wow there are people with different opinions, who would've thought?
>>
>>3383596
>Imagine that Square-enix finally lost its last shred of dignity and made Final Fantasy VI-2 but the kicker is it has none of the characters of FFVI, it doesn't have any of the locations of FFVI, it doesn't mention the events of FFVI, there are no espers, it's story centers around a war between humans and elves (who suddenly exist), there is no steam-punk technology, it's lead artist is Akira Toriyama, it's 3d, it's on the sega saturn, there are 40 characters 90% of which are trainable monsters, and battles play out like a game of Yu-Gi-Oh.
So final fantasy X and its "ties" to final fantasy VII?
>>
>>3384237

>So final fantasy X and its "ties" to final fantasy VII?

Thanks for reminding that was a thing.
>>
>>3380723
>tfw no chrono brake
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.