[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's a fucking Sega Genesis video game! Kill yourself, newfag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

It's a fucking Sega Genesis video game! Kill yourself, newfag janitor.

Discuss the Sega Genesis video game, Fido Dido ITT. I would like to have a legitimate genuine discussion about this retro game. What do you guys think about it? I never see it mentioned anywhere. Kinda just like how I could never find it in stores when I was a kid. Is this game really that unremarkable?

Apparently this character is associated with other, non-/vr/ things since my first thread got deleted for off-topic. I didn't even know he was involved with anything other than vidya though.
>>
I was the one who replied on the other thread, didn't even know he had a vidya, will check it out.

Also, you really didn't know Fido Dido was 7up's mascot in the 80s/early 90s? He was everywhere.
>>
>>3369545
No, sorry.

Literally the only memory I have of him is seeing one, small picture in a magazine and thinking he looked cool and I wanted to play it. I never did, to my disappointment, until years later when I emulated it. And now, I can't even recall anything about what the game was like. So oddly enough it's still as mysterious to me now as it ever was, even though I have played it before. Maybe I will watch a video of it sometime to refresh my memory, I dunno.
>>
>>3369541
>Apparently this character is associated with other, non-/vr/ things since my first thread got deleted for off-topic.
Sounds like you're the newfag.
>>
>In 1993, a video game called Fido Dido was made by Kaneko for the Super NES and Genesis. However, it was never released, because the publisher Kaneko's United States branch shut down in the summer of 1994.
dead game
newfag op
>>
>>3369565
>However, it was never released
Fascinating. I never knew that. That explains why it was so hard to find an actual cart. I wonder how the ROM ended up online then?
>>
>>3369573
>I wonder how the ROM ended up online then?

If the carts made it to distributers but were recalled, then it is possible that one of the copies was handed out to someone who dumped it.

Quite a lot of early piracy worked that way: dumpers knew the people who physically shipped the software to stores.
>>
>>3369541

the deleting and censoring on /vr/ by the new janny is really out of control
>>
>>3369593

Post proof, use the archives to show us. Mods are only deleting offtopic shit, and shitposting from australia-kun.

The other thread of fido dido was "daily fido dido thread"; it wasn't vidya-related at all.
>>
>>3369596
I think the fact that SNES and Genesis Fido games exist, and the fact that was posted on a board specifically for talking about SNES and Genesis games, should and did/does imply that the purpose of the thread was to talk about the gaming aspect of the IP, regardless of how the OP was worded. That was my reasoning. However, had I known he was a corporate mascot or whatever I probably would have altered the post to avoid any ambiguity even though I still maintain that's not technically necessary.
>>
>>3369605
>SNES and Genesis Fido games exist
only through the vaguest of technicalities
>>
>>3369605

Technically, the games don't exist. They were never released. They were only dumped.
>>
>>3369605

This cancelled Fido Dido game is unknown as fuck, at least OP could have mentioned it instead of shitpost-y "daily" opener.

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3369494

I was the guy who replied on that thread, by the way, OP never answered me, and the thread was deleted eventually.
>>
Heh. There was also those Cool Spot games on the same systems. What was up with fucking soda companies of all things marketing in such a strange way back then? Because that's ultimately what those games are, right? There was also Pepsi Man, of course. But beyond that we really haven't seen games starring soda mascots much. It's just weird in hindsight.
>>
>>3369635

Yeah Cool Spot was a popular game, it was advertised everywhere.
I remember renting it a couple times and enjoying it, mostly because the dope music and how COOL it was, the sprite animations were good, since it was done by Dave Perry from Earthworm Jim.

The actual game is kind of ass in terms of controls and design though.

As for why did companies do that, I guess because they figured video games were popular with kids and wanted to advertise.
But it was more of a pepsi/7up thing, coca-cola was more traditional, their mascot is basically Santa, they aren't cool or hip enough.
>>
Fido Dido is an early example of a forced meme, and one carried out by women no less. They created an artificial buzz around their character and immediately sold it out for how much I'd really like to know but probably five digits.

Nobody knew what to do with it and it wasn't really popular with anyone. Now it has a nostalgic appeal plus it's ironic like "hey remember fido dido?" "Yes, but I don't remember anything about it"

Basically the game is somewhere between Cool Spot and Greendog which is to say style over substance just like the character.

appologies for the tumblr filename, google image searched it and didn't feel like saving and renaming
>>
>>3369683
Youre posting anonymously so I don't even know why you would care if somebody thought you were a Tumblr user. Then again, you don't sound too bright if you feel like you have apologize for using an image from a site that hosts millions of images.
>>
>>3369683

Fido Dido's head looks like a slim kirby with hair.

That said, there's other examples of earlier, actual memes, like Kilroy.
Fido Dido was just a mascot of an international company.
>>
I'm a mid-30s burger and I recognize the character but I couldn't have told you his name or where he was from or what he was supposed to promote to save my life. Reading Wikipedia is not ringing any bells.

>>3369609
Wouldn't that mean that they technically do exist?
>>
>>3369694
>Responding only to the spoilered part
Just can't win with you can I, Anon? I guess I should have just renamed.

I was think we could probably steal some of the Fido Dido imagery for /vr/-tan but upon a review of available imagery I have to conclude he's even more vacuous than I recall.
>>
>>3369703
Kilroy was a natural meme. Fido was created by a couple chicks in NYC who then slapped him on a few hundred t-shirts and made sure lots of cool people were seen walking around with them then when he was as popular as they could get him without actually creating any real content, they sold him off for as much money as possible.
>>
>>3369719
I see he is genetically related to Wojack, somehow, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>3369573
Dude you would love this website I know of. It's pretty obscure. It's called wikipedia and it has all kinds of information like that!
>>
I played the rom 10 years ago

it seemed interesting enough but really I just don't see the appeal in Fido Dido
>>
>>3369545
>you really didn't know
>80s/early 90s?

Most people here were born in 95 and later.
>>
>>3369581

Probably came from a prototype cart. Magazines (and retailers) would sometimes get early or even finished versions of games for preview and reviewing purposes. As far as I know they were mostly meant to be returned (some are explicitly marked as such), but of course this didn't always happen. Other times people who work for the company leaked out the prototype carts, or sometimes they were stolen from shows, and other times who the hell knows. If it exists, chances are it'll find its way to the public at some point.
>>
>>3370183
yep.. 90% of the people here are dumbasses who werent even alive to play these games. .but now its "cool" to play old games.
>>
>>3370286
But I'm a 90s kid, I was born in 1997. Oh boy those were the times.
>>
File: 1404686579014.png (99KB, 360x377px) Image search: [Google]
1404686579014.png
99KB, 360x377px
>>3370293

Wow. '87 here, so I'm a full decade older than you.
Most people would take this as a "those goddamn kids!" moment but I'm hit with the realization of how I still haven't played everything I want to and probably will never be able to.

Life's too short to be shitposting on an anonymous message board, and yet here I am.
>>
>>3370286
The only part that gets me is when younger posters start criticizing the older posters because of their age... on a forum dedicated to fetishizing the games of yesteryear. I mean, why bash someone who actually lived when the games were new instead of asking for stories of what it was like to be a kid or an adult when the games were new?
>>
>>3370340
Do people really do this? Or am I just blind and miss it
>>
>>3370350
It's not really that bad. The only real annoying thing is people who parrot e-celeb opinions rather than have one of their own. A lot of the younger crowd are lazy as fuck, and just sit and watch Let's Plays and e-celeb bullshit and then base their opinions on that without even having played the game.
>>
>>3370386
True. haha the whole lets play shit and e-celeb dipshits on twitch.. hahaha.. is that what people do now??? WATCH videogames? haha jesus. i thought videogames were meant to be played. not watched on youtube or collected and stored away. *shakes head*
>>
>>3370340
You guys are right to bash LP's but why the fuck would I ask someone what it was like to play a fucking video game was like when it was new? If I want to see what a video game is like, I'll fucking play it myself. They don't age. Jesus Christ, do you actually think living to play a video game makes you exciting and people should gather around for your epic tales? It's not like you're one of the fucking creators or anything.
>>
>>3370386
>don't even bother to play the classics themselves
>just watch one, hour long playthrough by some over-reactive screaming idiot -- who is himself only playing it in the first place for attention and views for his shitty channel, and probably not out of genuine interest -- and call it good enough
>think they're now experts who understand the game even better than the game's original audience
Why those little bastards.
>>
>>3370350
see:
>>3370465
>>
>>3370465
People that are sour grapes are even worse when they grow up. Probably like you.

Cool people who played games and had fun and shit just get even more awesome when they get older. The more I grow up the more I recognise the landmine of information elders are, and spend more time asking questions.

Honestly, they have some knowledge that ain't on wikipedia and shit a lot of the time dude.
>>
File: 1452474155144.jpg (98KB, 450x668px) Image search: [Google]
1452474155144.jpg
98KB, 450x668px
>>3370465
>living to play a video game makes you exciting and people should gather around for your epic tales?
>>
>>3369565
You can use wikipedia, good for you
>>
>>3370183
Refuse to believe that
>>
>>3370183
I guess that's why there's so much autistic bullshit on /vr/.
>>
>>3370562
>>3370958
It MIGHT be true now, with the recent influx of /v/ posters that came with the gauntlet revival.
>>
>>3370958
Obviously. This board is full of kids desperate to prove their retro cred causing them to rampantly shitpost against any opinion that's remotely popular.
>>
>>3370183
We had a poll a few week back-ish and the median age of /vr/ is late 20s. So you can stop being retarded now.
>>
>>3370304
Don't worry, you should always be the decider of what's best for you to spend your life on. If you think something is fun, do it. 4-4chan is fun, r-right...?
>>
>>3371008
>implying little kids won't post their true age
>>
>>3371008
Stay deluded.
>>
>>3371052
>>3371039
Not him but I was born in 1988 and just from observing people's posts and from having these discussions in the past I've noticed that most /vr/ posters seem to be born somewhere between the late 70s and early 90s with a high concentration being late 80s.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.