[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the PS1 have NTSC to PAL conversion problems? I know this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 640px-PSX-Console-wController.jpg (21KB, 640x294px) Image search: [Google]
640px-PSX-Console-wController.jpg
21KB, 640x294px
Does the PS1 have NTSC to PAL conversion problems? I know this was a big deal for 8/16bit systems but I don't know if there's significant perfomance differences for the PlayStation.
>>
Nope, I have a chipped PS1 that plays NTSC and PAL games just fine.

Only problem is with Wipeout 3 freezing after you go past the starting light thing - I used to have that problem with emulators (fixed with BIOS change), but the actual hardware has it too.
>>
Basically, the most recent it is, the more good PAL conversions you'll find. However, most foreign games had shit PAL conversions up until the Dreamcast came out and forced devs to introduce a 60hz mode in every game.

Most PS1 games still had shit PAL conversions. Have a look at Final Fantasy IX for instance.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 640x640px
>>3369025
It hurts to later find out how shit your favourite game was. And it still is my number 1 despite the horrid PAL version I grew up with.
>>
Tekken 3 is not speed adjusted and that's criminal
>>3369031
What happens with the PAL version of ffix? I played a cracked one (by paradox, intro included) which was in my language, I suppose it was just PAL (don't think it was a language patch)
>>
>>3369016
Ah misunderstood the question, nvm.
>>
>>3369063
The main problem is that everything is slow as fuck. Of course this is with almost all PAL games and their shitty 50hz. In FFIX, especially in battles, it just becomes so painfully obvious.

So either your cracked version was based on NTSC or you just didn't notice the shitness. Good for you, anyway!
>>
>>3369075
I think I noticed the shittiness but never had the other version to compare.
>>
Dumbest question ever, but I thought it was relevant to this thread. I have recently aquired a chipped ps1, I live in a pal area. Will I have problems just burning and playing ntsc games?
>>
>>3369179
Nope.
>>
>>3369179
I don't know if it's just my PS2, but maybe the screen will "just" get the 240pixels instead of the local ammount, making the screen have a black border on the down side.
>>
>>3369025
Was it only FF9 (out of the main three PS1 FF games) that's slow as shit? I never had that same 'fuck this is slow' feeling with FF7 or 8 but I've never played the NTSC versions so I don't have anything to compare them to. I did however play the FF7 demo on my PC (with glorious 3DFX Glideā„¢) and never spotted any speed difference, though this was years before I played the real thing.
>>
>>3369025
>the most recent it is, the more good PAL conversions you'll find.
that is a very general statement. a lot of ps2 pal conversions are worse than the worst nes conversion. thank god conversion are a thing of the past since the ps3/xb360 era, excluding wii which is a gamecube.
>>
>>3371473
No, FF7 was also slow as all hell, the intro and cutscenes were excruciating, gameplay not so much. Can't comment on 8.

See I grew up with NTSC, now living in a PAL country but I never stopped playing the PS1, when I moved here I immediately noticed the speed difference. If you played FF7 back in the 90s and then came back to the PC version years later I don't think the speed difference would be so apparent.
>>
>>3371478
Pretty much all Wii games can do PAL60, as far as I'm aware. It's information they provide in the back of the boxes. That's why it's so good as an emulation box, it can do fucking everything.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.