[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US Nintendo 64DD was discovered http://assemblergames.com/l/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

File: file.png (840KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
840KB, 1024x768px
US Nintendo 64DD was discovered
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/found-us-version-of-n64-64dd.62294/
>>
File: 64DD_English1.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
64DD_English1.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Pretty cool find
>>
>>3356603
>>3356584
This is really cool and all, but I really want to know what's on the disk.
>>
>>3356584
I'm dying to know what's on that disc. Considering no DD games ever got released outside of Japan it's probably just a testing program or something. Speculating is fun though, in that case I hope it's Mother 64 lol.
>>
>>3356613
Or an english F-Zero Expansion Kit
>>
Now I'm being reminded of the Top 10 Most Wanted list in Nintendo Power, and how month after month the N64 DD made that list, yet nothing ever came of it.
>>
Why didn't Nintendo release a DVD addon for the N64 instead of the DD?
>>
>>3356691
Mismanagement. Nintendo was so afraid of losing the slightest bit of business to piracy that they unintentionally sabotaged themselves with the developer unfriendly N64 carts and GameCube 1.4Gb mini discs.
>>
>>3356705
>implying Gamecube using mini-DVDs is even comparable to the N64 cartridge situation

I want this stupid meme to die. People will mindlessly latch on to *any* difference between the PS2 and Gamecube to try and explain why the Gamecube didn't sell.
>>
>>3356584
>I've come across US units, I had about 50 of them once, pretty much the entire US supply of them.
>When it was decided to kill it off they were recalled and recycled, which is how I got them (90% of them new in box too)
>People weren't interested in them at the time, even at only $90 a piece, new and boxed.
>I sold only about 20 of them, the rest I still have. When prices peak I will sell them, buy a boat and retire.

fucking hoarders.
>>
>>3356707
It was a factor. A game on a dual layer DVD at 8gb like Rockband would have to ship on 6 discs for a Gamecube version. Also the GameCube didn't have a select/back button equivalent and only had one shoulder button. These two things made multiplatform games difficult to put on the cube. It's far from the only reason the GameCube didn't sell that well, but it is part of it.
>>
>>3356751
>A game on a dual layer DVD at 8gb like Rockband would have to ship on 6 discs for a Gamecube version

You're assuming that just because extra space allowed developers to get away with putting their assets on disks uncompressed or only minimally compressed that there was any actual technical reason for doing so. At worst, let Gamecube owners suffer from slightly lower quality music and FMV. The games will still run.

On that note, Vice City came on a DVD for PS2, but two regular CDs for PC worked just fine.

> Also the GameCube didn't have a select/back button equivalent and only had one shoulder button

How many games actually needed all those buttons? Like SSX and THPS? Oh wait, those got Gamecube ports anyway.

>It's far from the only reason the GameCube didn't sell that well, but it is part of it.

It's not even part of it, it's absolutely fucking trivial and had nothing to do with why Gamecube didn't sell. Gamecube didn't sell because the games lacked mainstream appeal. To use the cliche, "The name of the game is the game". There's this annoying tendency among gaming fanbases to try and deflect the possibility of games being the reason why something didn't sell and instead put the blame on the hardware itself.
>>
>>3356782
Do you not see how the hardware could have had a limiting factor on what games the system had?
>>
File: 1298134003795.jpg (600KB, 1289x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1298134003795.jpg
600KB, 1289x1600px
>>3356705
>>3356707
>>3356751
>>3356782
>>3356819

Reminder that /vr/ should never allow 6th gen
>>
>>3356613

Yes, let's unrealisticly HYPE!

It's Ura Zelda!!! I KNOW IT!
>>
>>3356841
>WAAAHHH PEOPLE SHAT ON MY FAVORITE SYSTEM I NEED MY #SAFESPACE
>>
Can't you emulate 64DD.
>>
>>3356608
>>3356613
But that will diminish the value of the medium. Won't anybody think of the poor hoarders? :^)
>>
>>3356853

Huh? Hey anon, watch that caps lock, and who the fuck are you quoting?
>>
>>3356853
How you got that from

>Reminder that /vr/ should never allow 6th gen

is a little baffling. Maybe anon was just pointing out that this is the type of shit we'd get to look forward to if 6th gen and beyond were allowed in this board.
>>
>>3356819
>Do you not see how the hardware could have had a limiting factor on what games the system had?

Yeah, how about the elephant in the room. The Gamecube was super easy to develop for compared to the PS2.

We never stop hearing how the Wii U fails to sell just because it isn't x86, therefore, as idiot logic goes, it must be hard to develop for.
>>
>>3356868

Thanks, coherent anon. That's indeed what I meant, thought it was obvious.
>>
>>3356584
>that brown slop all over port 4

FFS they could have bothered to clean their N64 for the pic!
>>
>>3356705
>>3356707
>>3356751
>>3356782
>>3356819
>>3356871
>6th gen garbage
Wrong board.
>>
>>3357438
Better than 4th Gen.
>>
>>3356868
>Maybe anon was just pointing out that this is the type of shit we'd get to look forward to
We already got that type of shit as is, especially concerning the 4th gen.
>>
File: BARF.jpg (5KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
BARF.jpg
5KB, 265x190px
>>3356603
>stretched 4:3 SD console on a 16:9 HD LCD
>>
>>3356705
I always liked small format discs. Even used to have a D-88 for CDs.

>>3356718
Fucking poorfags

>>3356864
>who the fuck are you quoting?
Fucking autists
>>
>>3356782
>On that note, Vice City came on a DVD for PS2, but two regular CDs for PC worked just fine.

Shit, what a retarded.
>>
Fun fact: This is owned by MetalJesusRocks.

Also, yeah, the thing itself is neat, but as has been expressed previously, the really interesting thing is the disk. Given the very low game count for the system, there's probably a decent chance that the disk is blank and was just put in the console for storage.
>>
holy shit
i cant wait for OP of the assemblergames forum post to post more shit about it
>>
File: fan donations.jpg (241KB, 1619x911px) Image search: [Google]
fan donations.jpg
241KB, 1619x911px
>>3358558
did a fan donate it to him?
>>
>>3358558
Is MJR rich? Or owner of a company/big shareholder? He spends way too much money on retro stuff.
>>
>>3359708
Not CGR levels but...
https://www.patreon.com/MetalJesusRocks
>>
>>3359735
WHOA 1500 DOLLARS?

That's a lot of money!
>>
>>3359742
not a livable wage but still enough to buy shitloads of games.
>>
>>3358558
>>3359694
jesus christ i hate that guy
his face just bothers me
>>
>>3358558
>MetalJesusRocks
He's like every obnoxious metal fan stereotype rolled into one. Gotta love that he uses his channel as an excuse to spend time with women far more attractive than his wife though.
>>
>>3359783
MetalJesusRocks and AlphaOmegaSin must be related.
>>
>>3359708
He used to work for Sierra or some shut so he's probably comfortable
>>
>>3359783
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbReNENRMA8
Where does he get these girls from?
>>
>>3359810
"Hey I have a semi-popular Youtube channel would you like to get free advertising for your channel along with the extra attention from my fans?"
>>
>>3359810

I'd fuck her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b64Bx0WKh7M
>>
>>3358558
https://youtu.be/b64Bx0WKh7M

Here he is talking about it and booting it up if anyone hasn't seen it yet.
>>
>>3358558
fuck

FUCK

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

this guy doesn't care about this shit as much as I do. its just gonna go on his shelf and rot
>>
>>3362302
>its just gonna go on his shelf and rot
Is it jealousy?
64DD is useless to play, it only can be on a shelf and rot.
>>
>>3362321
i don't fucking care
im a nintendo ultra fan, i want it dammit!
fucking "metal" youtube faggot
won't even TELL US how he got it

fuck
>>
Ok guys, everytime i see any mention of the 64DD on the internet, i always ask the same thing.

Ura Zelda was "recycled" into OOT Master Quest, but what about Zeld Gaiden? i even remember some short video clips of Link figthing some kind of jumping blob monsters, probably like those in Dragon Warrior.

Also... was Ura Zelda the exact same game as Master Quest?
>>
>>3359757

His greed bothers me even more.
>>
File: as-corp-logo-stacked-vertical-2.png (10KB, 280x336px) Image search: [Google]
as-corp-logo-stacked-vertical-2.png
10KB, 280x336px
>>3357438
>>
>>3362323
he said in both, the original thread and in the videos description that he got it through a guy he met on Craigslist, and that guy has asked him NOT to release his contact info because he wants to stay anonymous.
>>
>>3362324

The definite 100 percent tue answer will surprise and astonish you:

Nobody knows.

There is a lot that speaks for master Quest just being a lazy romhack to shut up the WHERE'S URA? WERESURAH? URAAA?!.
For example the Master Quest Rom is exactly the size of OoT, which can't really be, wasn't Ura supposed to expand OoT and being on the DD because it was TOO BIG for a cart?!...

How much Master Quest really is Ura only Nintendo know- and all the dads who work for Nintendo- but it is top secret...
>>
>>3362324
>Also... was Ura Zelda the exact same game as Master Quest?

Last I heard Ura Zelda was some kind of "Zelda Maker" if you want. Users could create their own content and share it with others. New dungeons and such, basically.
>>
>>3356584
Is there any logical reason as to why they didn't clean the Barbeque Sauce off the 4th controller port, before taking the press photo?
>>
>>3362375
Because thats the photo Metal Jesus took and he doesn't clean anything. He did beauty shots of his Vita, it had food and hair on it. He's disguisting.
>>
>>3358067
>Fucking poorfags

The guy bought the units for $90 a piece and wants to sell them for over $9000 a piece.

He's the definition of both a hoarding faggot and a reseller.
>>
>>3362412
>7-11 buys things in bulk cheap and sells them to me expensive
>Wwwhhhhaaaaaa! Fucking hoarding faggot and a reseller
Some kids are so dumb it's funny.
>>
>>3362375
There's something on the second port as well
>>
I kinda hope there's something neat on the cartridge but I wouldn't bet on it considering the thing didn't even load up in the unit. If the cartridge is blank the thing is basically a fancy pedestal for the N64.
>>
>>3362302
>>3362323
well in the video he said hes interest getting the disc and the firmware dumped, so thats something. Plus he already has said where he got it.
>>
>>3362609
>comparing MSRP to the free market economy

Some people are so dumb that it's very funny.
>>
>>3356854
Yeah but the english firmware was thought to not exist until this video.
>>
>>3362881
>Implying gen z turds like you are the same species as people.
>>
>>3362154
This video is pretty amazing. He is a good speaker.
>>
File: 1458121227443.gif (3MB, 257x212px) Image search: [Google]
1458121227443.gif
3MB, 257x212px
>>3362302
>this guy doesn't care about this shit as much as I do. its just gonna go on his shelf and rot

Go on

What would you do with it? Oh right, nothing. There's no games for the USA version of the DD.

Unless you're some sort of engineer that can pull the bios off this, I doubt you'd do much more then he would with it.
>>
>>3363835
Well, and considering he's already mentioned finding someone to dump the BIOS and disc contents he's already doing more than anon would ever be able to comprehend doing.
>>
>>3356751
>A game on a dual layer DVD at 8gb like Rockband would have to ship on 6 discs for a Gamecube version
Have you heard of mp3 compression? It's this neat thing that lets you put, like, several days worth of music on a 1.4 GB disc.

Also, the GC had 3 shoulder buttons. Are you blind?
>>
It's such a shame that ugly as fuck e-celeb found that 64DD...
>>
>>3364379
>Also, the GC had 3 shoulder buttons. Are you blind?
It has two triggers and one shoulder button.
>>
>>3356691
There was an unofficial CD add-on. It also played VCDs because everything from China since '93 must play VCDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FbB59j0wE

It even had a commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGjH5bS0kUg
>>
What are the chances of reproducing this system?
>>
>>3365763
zero %
>>
>>3365763
Afaik it doesn't really add anything to the N64 aside from letting it read those disks. You could just use a flash cart if you wanted to make complicated N64 homebrew
>>
https://youtu.be/b64Bx0WKh7M
Metal Jesus is looking for people to help him read the disk and get the firmware of the US DD
There has to be someone here with the skills and hardware
>>
>>3366186
The people are out there. Right now he's trying to find so.eone local or something I think, which makes sense because the dumping devices are far more replaceable than the disk so it wouldn't make sense to mail out the disk to have it dumped.
>>
Okay, I'm confused. Let's say it was the F-Zero X expansion. Wouldn't F-Zero X need to be in for it to work?
>>
>>3367608
Yes. A disk expansion would need the base cart to work.
>>
>>3356584
>read the assembler thread
> Assembler admin posts in the thread " oh yeah, one of those eh, I've got like 50 of those kid, saving them to offload later and buy a boat later

damn that guy is such a huge fag tryhard
>>
>>3357708
>"I paid for the whole screen and damnit I'm gonna use the whole screen"
:|
>>
>>3368890
assgame forums is filled with the dumbest cuckllectors imaginable.
>>
>>3368890
He's a massive faggot. That post contributes nothing to the thread or helps the guy out and just brags about how much collector cred he has, fucking stupid.
>>
>>3368890

He has since come back and stated that what he has is not the same as what MJR got.

That being said, I do appreciate the forum's existence. I do wonder though how many are legit extremely interested in prototypes and dev stuff and how many are people with a passing interest who are more waiting for their big pay-day when their collection magically quintuples in value.
>>
>>3368890
Welcome to assembler.

Honestly, stuff like US prototypes are utterly "who gives a fuck?" for me. Meanwhile there are people hoarding arcade rips of games so they can make a few bucks selling them to shitty internet cafes in SEA, or people who refuse to dump neat early development carts because it might decrease the value of something they're never going to sell anyway.
>>
>>3369037
>Meanwhile there are people hoarding arcade rips of games so they can make a few bucks
Fuck that pisses me off.

Fantasy Zone 2: Tears of Opa-Opa has a conversion that some people sell illegally but refuse to divulge how they converted a regular System 16 board to support the expanded memory. Instead they sell it for huge mark up to idiots who want to put it in their candy cab, destroying existing System 16 games in the process.
>>
>>3369037
>>3369047
VERTEXER OR RIOT
>>
>>3369037
>Honestly, stuff like US prototypes are utterly "who gives a fuck?" for me.

While there are of course exceptions, I never understood the fascination with NES prototypes compared to the relative disinterest in their Famicom cousins. I mean, most of these games were developed in Japan, so if you are wanting to find an early version, 90% of the time it'll be on a Famicom prototype.
>>
>>3369057
I've been waiting for Vertexer with /vr/ since 2014. fucking shoutime.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.