[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't people remember Phantasy Star when talking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 13

File: RetroArch-0713-110354.png (43KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0713-110354.png
43KB, 1280x960px
Why don't people remember Phantasy Star when talking about classic RPGs?
>>
Cause people mainly remember Phantasy Star for its online games
not the original games
>>
File: ps-1.png (30KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
ps-1.png
30KB, 1280x960px
>walk into local game store
>"do you have phantasy star?"
>"no, you have to buy that online, it's not sold in stores"
>they think I want a fucking MMO
>>
>>3356416
subjectively, and I say this having grown up with a Nintendo, Phantasy Star is the best of the "8-bit" console RPGs. Probably second and third place are FF3 and Mother (no particular order).
>>
Because it's only from late 1987. Classic RPGs like Ultima or Wizardry are from way earlier.
>>
>>3356397
>Why don't uncultured swine know about Phantasy Star
Fixed
>>
>>3356431
I know no one who ever mentions ultima while talking about classic RPGs, as true as that may be.
Friendly reminder that 1987 was the year Castlevania came out for the NES and people remember that. Also the first Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>3356419
I dunno about Mother, but compared to FFIII Phantasy Star is just leagues tighter and more interesting.

By the way, Phantasy Star 2 is long and hard, with a really unforgiving loot cycle. I've made my way to the Dams and I know I'm early on but this game is kicking my teeth in.
>>
Phantasy Star is constantly mentioned on /vr/, especially lately.
>>
File: RetroArch-0713-110017.png (38KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0713-110017.png
38KB, 1280x960px
>>3356434
fair point.
>>
>>3356442
I'm having the same problem in IV. I grew up on the NES; bought a Genesis two years ago with PS IV, and am still stuck on laShiec/lassic.

Hell of a game, though. Hell of a game.
>>
>>3356446
Who transliterated the name as Tylon instead of Tyrone?
>>
>>3356446
Does the talk command works like the one in DQ VII ?
>>
>>3356450
The fans who translated the only version of the game with FM synthesis intact.

In japanese the name is タイロン. "ロ" can be phoneticized 'ro' or 'lo'. it's really somewhere between the two when pronounced properly. I consider both to be valid.
タ イ ロ ン
Ta I Ro N
Ta I Lo N
>>
>>3356449
It's like, I understand what they're doing in PSII and I really appreciate it/realize how it must have blown people's minds back in the day, but the compounding complexity of the dungeons plus the encounter rate and the small rewards are brutal.

You sure as hell feel like you've progressed once you actually do, but those moments are far between one another.
>>
>>3356461
Tyrone is a real name like Alisa or Lutz. Tylon is nonsense.
>>
File: RetroArch-0713-115657.png (37KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0713-115657.png
37KB, 1280x960px
>>3356460
I dunno, I never played past DQ4. Never really liked those games anyway, to be totally honest.
>>
>>3356464
Really hoping that's sarcasm. Assuming so.

ルツ = lu tsu = lutz
アルサ = a ri sa (or a li sa) = alis
>>
>>3356460
Talk in DQ is primarily partner chat, right?

I've never played VII, to be honest. Looking forward to it on 3DS.
>>
File: 15551_prev.jpg (15KB, 622x480px) Image search: [Google]
15551_prev.jpg
15KB, 622x480px
>>3356473
I'm serious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrone_(disambiguation)#People
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutz
>Lutz is a short form of Ludwig and may refer to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alisa_(disambiguation)
>A female given name derived from Alice

Meanwhile Tylon is a brand of measuring tape.
>>
File: slimes.png (71KB, 220x180px) Image search: [Google]
slimes.png
71KB, 220x180px
>>3356468
>>3356474

I see, it's completly different.
>>
>>3356474
My main reason for turning to old sega games is that Nintendo's adding DLC to party games like smash 4 ('aww you don't have my favorite character, I'm going to complain about how I'd be winning if I had Roy all night long') and most recently Pokemon Go putting microtransactions in a game for small children just leaves a bad taste in my mouth; I've been disillusioned with the entire current generation of games (except minecraft if that counts, but I don't play it much anymore).
>>
>>3356476
If you'd never read (or watched) ranma you'd not call that a name, would you?

Who's to say what constitutes a name and what doesn't somewhere else?

BTW, ranma comes from luan'ma in chinese.

There are lots of weird names out there.
>>
>>3356482
His name is タイロン which is the Japanese way of writing Tyrone.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3
Transliterating it as a made up name is ignorance like Belldandy.
>>
I should add that I'm actually in a scanlation group on /a/.

And also I see this all the time - Tylon is closer to how it would be pronounced by someone in Japan than tyrone, so my guess is that's what the translators decided they wanted here. LaShiec is closer than 'RaShiec', so the same story there. Though I admit LaShiec makes more sense in the same way Tyrone makes more sense. But in Japan it'd get pronounced closer to "Lashiec".
>>
>>3356485
>his name is タイロン
Yes, I said that. Like 10 minutes ago.
see >>3356461 .

It all comes down to your priorities as a translator. It's not how I would handle it, but it is valid.
>>
>>3356490
Arisa might also be closer than Alisa seeing as it's an actual Japanese name.

>>3356495
It's as valid as Lutsu which isn't a name either. Or Y Burn.
Might as well go on and translate Megaten with such romanizations.
>>
File: RetroArch-0713-122155.png (31KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0713-122155.png
31KB, 1280x960px
back to 'anonymous'. Didn't remember to hop back.

>>3356498
Clearly there's no convincing you to 'just go with it'. Oh well. It's not a Big Fucking Deal to me.
>>
Ranma is Japanese old word,means "tangled hemp".
Famous example Ranma1/2 also
>>
File: 1467164510315.jpg (252KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
1467164510315.jpg
252KB, 1440x2392px
>>3356507
I mentioned it because of Ranma 1/2.
And it was a chinese word.

Apologies for the shitty left to right flipped scanlation. It's a very old one.
>>
>>3356506
If a translator can't even get a common name right it makes you question his ability to translate other things.
>>
File: 1467203606690.jpg (265KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
1467203606690.jpg
265KB, 1440x2392px
>>3356510
It's a literal translation, not a Big Fucking Deal, just get the fuck over it.
>>
>>3356524
If you consider making things up a translation. I guess that's why people hate them.
>>
>>3356536
>making things up
>directly translating katakana into their nearest latin alphabetic equivalents
>>
>>3356509
Many character of the names in Ranma1/2 is darlived from the Japanese mythology.
>>
>>3356539
That would be Tairon for most part. Maybe Tiron if you want a mimic English.
And it's wrong.
>>
>>3356548
Okay, you aren't understanding something.

Japanese people don't pronounce the 'R' like americans or british people would.
Tailon is closer to how it sounds phonetically when spoken by a japanese person. You know the stereotype that asians can't pronounce an 'R'? That.

It's a stylistic choice.
>>
>>3356565
It's obvious that you are the one in a scanlation group while I gave up on that.
>>
>>3356582
Our group doesn't work like that, but I was explaining the logic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mfJB5A80KE&t=3m16s
>>
>>3356589
It doesn't matter. I'm never going to rely on scanlations and the like again.
>>
>>3356594
Mkay, then. Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa ("actually, I am") volume 3 gets released in 6 days and will be published as "My Monster Secret." One volume every 3 months. Meanwhile we're in volume 15 scanlated.
>>
>>3356620
Meanwhile raws are on volume 17+.
>>
>>3356630
Yes, and we push out a chapter a week. What more do you want?

If you read japanese well enough to use the raws, by all means go ahead.
>>
>>3356397
Because it's an RPG on the Sega Genesis as opposed to being an RPG on the SNES.

That's my two cents at least.
>>
>>3356460
occasionally you can talk to monsters and convince them not to fight you. I think it only works on humanoid monsters.
>>
>>3357207

Your two cents are incorrect, that's a Master System/MarkIII game.
>>
1. People forgot the original Phantasy Star games because everybody says "skip straight to 4 it's a masterpiece."

2.The first person dungeon crawling aspect scares people away. I've seen a lot of people who aren't into JRPGs much even complain about refusing to play JRPGs where they can't see their characters in battle, so that's another possible reason.

3. Sega's consoles are not known for having JRPGs in the west (not sure if there are many untranslated ones or if there just aren't any), so when people look through the library they aren't looking for JRPGs.

There are probably plenty other reasons, too. Even I've shied away from them just because I don't wanna go out and buy graph paper.
>>
>>3356397
What people? /vr/ talks about it all the time, at least.
>>
we post about phantasy star all the time, retard
>>
Because most RPG fans were either on PC or Nintendo consoles.
Same thing why Sakura Wars is not very remenbered (although I would blame lack of localization for this case)
>>
File: IMGP4314-2.jpg (290KB, 1501x997px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP4314-2.jpg
290KB, 1501x997px
I love the Phantasy Star games. Well, II and IV anyways. I beat the original Master System Phantasy Star a couple years ago and had fun with it, mostly. I can never get myself to play III for very long. I enjoyed the original iteration of PSO as well, but PSU, PSO2, and all the other online spin-offs are dongs and I wish the series would go back to being a turn-based RPG series. People only seem to care about the online entries.

I wonder how accurate the translations for the games are, though. I know the original had numerous name changes and weird grammar issues, but I haven't heard anyone compare or cite examples of translation errors from PSII or PSIV.
>>
>>3357345
>>3357362

>Everybody on /vr/ remembers it, so it's not obscure

Guys...
>>
>>3356397

because most retro fags don't know shit that's not nintendo
>>
>>3356397
It's 80$ a copy for the master system.
>>
>>3356442
> I've made my way to the Dams and I know I'm early on
You're maybe half done. Enjoy the Dezolis dungeons. (I'll pray for your soul.)
>>
>>3356460
No, it's for talking to monsters. Some speak your language, some require use of telepathy or a magic hat (yeah!) to talk to. You can converse with giant spiders.
>>
>>3356473
Alis would be アリス. アリサ is without a doubt Alisa.
>>
>>3357319
>graph paper
There's an app for that.
>>
People talk about this game a lot here.
But nobody ever, ever talks about Miracle Warriors.
>>
>>3359773
It's popped up before, even had a couple of tiny threads. I have some nostalgia for it.
>>
The first game is nice, the second is fiendish.
>>
>>3359773
I played it after Phantasy Star when I was desperate for RPGs but it was kind of disappointing in comparison.
>>
>>3358390
Huh. I think that's what it cost when it was brand new. In Australian dollarydoos. Man, kids complaining about how games are expensive here nowadays don't know how good they have it.
>>
>>3356442
Phantasy Star 2 is brutal but you'll feel like a champ when you beat it.

If you have the guide you can beat the bastard dungeons.

The ending is one of the most shocking and holy fuck moments in all of vidya...and dat end theme by Bo.
>>
PS2 was my first contact with the jrpg genere. I still remember her soft smell hainging in the spring air while we didn't exactly know what we were doing.
>>
Stop responding to this shit thread, just read the posts and you'll notice it's a poor excuse for the retarded OP to blog about unrelated shit
>>
...but I miss those days
>>
>>3363648
The ending of PS2 is probably one of my favorite endings of any video game ever.

The main characters literally be Hitler if Hitler was actually right, in space, with super-technology and shit.

It's like if the people of today actually turned around and lynched the richest 1%. It's completely insane.

PS is just a really solid and interesting RPG that is for some reason a lot more spare and less grindy than any of it's sequels.

PS3 is just mess, to this day the menu icons make absolutely no sense to me.

PS4 starts out great, and then almost immediately after it starts picking up speed, the best character, WHO SHOULD HAVE SURVIVED INSTEAD, up and fucking dies, and then you're stuck with fucking blonde haired Amuro clone for the rest of the fucking game only he's actually somehow even more retarded and annoying than the actual Amuro.
>>
>>3363648
PS2 is hardly brutal. The Crescent Gear breaks the entire game and the difficulty is largely in the dungeons being a pain in the ass to navigate.
>>
>>3356419
Dragon Warrior is king of 8bit rpgs
>>
>>3356464
it's a fantasy/scifi game you fuck
>>
File: feels good mang.jpg (124KB, 576x497px) Image search: [Google]
feels good mang.jpg
124KB, 576x497px
>ctrl+f "metal max"
>PHRASE NOT FOUND
>>
File: PS2adventure.jpg (709KB, 1052x738px) Image search: [Google]
PS2adventure.jpg
709KB, 1052x738px
The Phantasy Star 2 text adventures add a lot of character backstory to the game, and I only recently learned they existed. It was great playing PS2 again and doing the character's adventure when they showed up to the party.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.