[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think of the game Zero Wing? Also retro games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: zero wing.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
zero wing.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
What does /vr/ think of the game Zero Wing?

Also retro games that became memes thread.
>>
Solid game no one will ever take seriously anymore because of the meme.
>>
>>3354318
It was ok. Being able to grab and throw your enemies was an interesting gimmick, but unless that mechanic develops in the later levels, It was an average shooter from what I recall.
>>
Remember that dumb top 10 best and worst games list where Zero Wing made it as the 7th worst game or something? All because of engrish cutscene.
>>
>>3354318

It's a good game with a great soundtrack. Genesis OST is superior to the arcade OST.
>>
>>3354318
haven't been able to get into it yet. too many better 16 bit shooters
>>
>>3355071
Genesis version is the best version lets you actually kill CATS
>>
>>3355097
No one can kill CATS
>>
>>3354404

Other way around. It's an incredibly boring game that gets more attention than it deserves because the meme keeps it from being forgotten like it otherwise would be.

Toaplan was actually a pretty great STG developer and it's a pity that one of their more half-assed efforts happens to be their most famous.
>>
>>3355294

Except it was very well received when it launched, average review score was 83.
>>
what's the pc engine version like?
>>
>>3354318
It sucks that people dismiss it as a bad game because of the mistranslation and the memes when it's actually a pretty god game.

Also, the music of the PCE CD version is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4h9Kvgw34
>>
>>3354318
It's a Toaplan shoot'em up, so it's a really good game -- the soundtrack is great (as good as in the arcade version, which sound a bit different due to the different soundchip, but both are still good) and the gameplay, even though easier than the arcade version, is still pretty good, though the game get really interesting only after half the 3rd level, with the 4th level being basically given. Graphics-wise, it's a Toaplan title -- it looks great and the graphics are detailled.
To be fair, this is one of the game I play the most on my megadrive (along with Thunderforce IV).

>>3355962
That version of the tune is really nice. I wouldn't say it's better than the megadrive and arcade versions which are still pretty damn good though.
While talking about PC Engine CD version of Toaplan game musics, there's the Hellfire S title music that's great too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DygwamWEx8
>>
>>3354318
Only thing I don't like about Zero Wing is that the first level is very boring in every possible way (graphically, musically, gameplay) but it picks up substantially after that.

But if you're expecting Thunder Force IV crazy shit then you'll be disappointed since it's older and more sedate.

It's a solid shmup but not a true classic. Engrish and memes aside though, the intro is really cool standalone.
>>
>>3356103
They kinda messed the first stage conversion when it comes to gameplay-- it's way easier than the arcade version, and thus pretty boring.On the other hand I don't find the graphics and music boring, I like the first stage theme.
Also they kinda made the homing beams too powerful so using the laser and spread shot is a bit useless (that might be one of the reasons why this stage is too easy imo).
>>
>>3356103
Thunder Force is basically perfection though, not much can match up to it graphically, musically and gameplay wise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psSamm93uCE
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.