[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a mod for Duke Nukem 3D that allows you to look up and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: duke.png (491KB, 720x444px) Image search: [Google]
duke.png
491KB, 720x444px
Is there a mod for Duke Nukem 3D that allows you to look up and down without completely warping the perspective?
>>
Use the opengl render on eduke32?
>>
You're not asking for a "mod", you're asking for a true 3D renderer. And it doesn't "warp", that's the thing.

Use EDuke32's Polymost renderer, it's true 3D while retaining a look that's faithful to the original game.
>>
>>3349154
Why can't I just get a mod?
>>
>>3349195
No, the reason it looks like this is because of the renderer of the engine being 2.5D. It would be the same in Doom if you could actually look up and down. Mods can't change the video renderer.
>>
>>3349196
You can look up and down in Doom and it doesn't break things.
>>
>>3349118
Project64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OQDj0YbAQ
>>
>>3349118
Duke Nukem's 3D engine relies on one very important approximation. It assumes that points in space, that share the same x/y coordinates, but a different elevation, are on the same pixel column. Or worded differently, that all vertical walls in the game world are always perfectly vertical on screen. That is a very useful approximation. It completely holds if your view is perfectly horizontal, you can see that on photos just fine. It also makes computations much easier.

Unfortunately, that assumption completely breaks down as soon as you tilt the camera in any direction. What Duke Nukem 3D does when you "tilt" the head up and down is slightly shift the center point of the viewport up and down, to give the illusion of a tilt. The z-assumption is still obeyed. It has to be, because the engine can't do anything else. That's where the "distortion" comes from.

Short of real 3D renderer there's nothing you can do about it. It's still a neat example of creative workarounds involving the engine.
>>
>>3349229
No you can't.
>>
>>3349396
You can, in certain source ports, which people have started to think of when the name "Doom" is mentioned
>>
>>3349404
no they haven't
>>
>>3349409
see >>3349229
>>
>>3349404
>You can, in certain source ports
Well yes.
I just don't know if there exist Duke source ports. Anyway, I was referring to the original version.
>>
>>3349419
original Doom has no input to tilt the head.
There are source ports for duke, but everything faithful to the original engine can not tilt the head without distortion, due to >>3349294
>>
Just play Atomic Edition
>>
>>3349419
>I just don't know if there exist Duke source ports

Here's a hint: google "duke nukem 3d source ports".

And people wonder why these games can't hold a candle to Doom's popularity.
>>
>>3349443
I have atomic edition...
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.