[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>go to hometown for a week >16yo brother got a cheap laptop,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20160321_111659.jpg (838KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_111659.jpg
838KB, 1536x1536px
>go to hometown for a week
>16yo brother got a cheap laptop, 4GB RAM 2.2Ghz
>mother has no wifi so he's stuck using phone hot-spot and walking down to local cafe
>thus, shitty slow internet
>put Elite, Doom, XCOM and Daggerfall on his laptop
>he surprisingly has a blast with all of them
Alright, what are some other good DOS game recs for someone with limited bandwidth and no real vidya experience beyond Minecraft, Skyrim and Gmod?
>>
Not dos but the early GTA games are free and give him some emulators and a decent controller. will give more recommendations when I'm not on my phone.
>>
>>3341260
I did direct him towards emuparadise at least.
>>
>>3341253
>phone hot-spot and walking down to local cafe
jesus christ
>>
>>3341253
WinXP I'm guessing? At the very least, you can get a CD-sized game through the connection, right?

How about System Shock 2? Not as steep a learning curve as SS or Deus Ex, though either of those would be good too.
Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition and Half-Life would be two of the best FPS's you could throw his way that could run on those specs.
You could try arcade-style action games from the shareware days for REALLY small games, like Raptor:Call of the Shadows, D-Generation, Commander Keen 4, or pretty much anything stamped by Apogee or Epic.
If he likes strategy, have him try Colonization or Pirates! Gold.
Since he enjoyed the TBS of XCom, try Fallout or Fallout 2.
>>
Not dos, but find a download of ikaruga, or some other shmups
>>
>>3341335
He got Gmod through the cafe wifi and that was like 2GB.

A problem also seems to be that torrents don't appear to work on the cafe wifi, so it has to be direct download only.
He played the hell out of Doom while I was there, I'll link him to Doomworld.
>>
Quake, Deus Ex, Fallout 1&2, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights

good luck finding direct DL for all those tho
>>
Star Control 2
>>
File: vigilance on talos v.png (11KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
vigilance on talos v.png
11KB, 320x200px
He need to play the classics, such as Super Metroid.
>>
File: 1420915744394.jpg (122KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1420915744394.jpg
122KB, 1920x1200px
Get him to learn about emulation and get his ass on 16-bit/4th and 5th gen video james

>>>/vg/emug/

>>3341331
I used to do shit similar to this, some people are poor, get over it
>>
>>3341253
4gb ram and 2.2ghz cpu could handle a lot more than you expect

Give him some nice shit like Morrowind (not /vr/ I know) and any good vidya that came out before 2008 or so which is a LOT
>>
>>3341253
Why not go to a lot of the AbandonWare sites and grab a ton of games?
DOSBox and D-Fend Reloaded.
>>
>>3341253
>I visits my hometown in africa where have no wifi
>forget to visit village elders and sacrifice goat testicles to internet god
>thus, shitty slow internet
>>
>>3341504
>can afford phone internet
>cant afford home internet

get a shitty go-phone with minutes and get decent net?
>>
Ok, I got a similar question. My videocard recently took a shit on me, and now it works but NOT with Nvidia's drivers and the drivers from the card manufacturer claim I don't have one of their products in my PC. So I'm stuck using a generic windows driver for it, which limits my card to 14MBs of video RAM. Please tell me emulation isn't dependent on GPU or video RAM. Please tell me dosbox isn't dependent on GPU or video RAM. I have no on-board video to fall back on, and really don't wanna buy a new card right now.
>>
>>3342195
you could set the emulators to use the integrated graphics if you have an intel processor
>>
>>3342197
I do have an intel, but one without integrated graphics. i5 2550k.
>>
File: 1467886465766.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1467886465766.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.