[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys make pixel art at all? I've been wanting to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 19

File: Thing.png (2KB, 114x202px) Image search: [Google]
Thing.png
2KB, 114x202px
Do you guys make pixel art at all?

I've been wanting to for a while now, so I sat down and made this. Took me about a half hour honestly. Critique is welcome.
>>
Looks like typical indie pixelshit. Completely unremarkable in every way, and will get you no attention.
>>
>>3319553
It's not really supposed to be serious or anything, it's just for fun
>>
>>3319559
It shows. But hey, you have the skills of pretty much every indie designer who's ever gotten on Steam.
>>
>>3319549
This isn't actually Pixel Art.
This is Pixel Art.

What you posted/drew is... A jagged stick figure image.
>>
>>3319572
Yea its more like MS paint art
>>
>>3319579
People don't get that pixels aren't just using a brush tool and making dots in MSPaint.
It's more of a shading technique with different pixels, instead of just jagged drawings.
>>
>>3319549
That's embarassing, but I made similar things when I was 15 as well.
>>
>>3319549
You need to work on your anatomy. Study Loomis and Vilppu for a couple years and give it another shot.
>>
>>3319549

Check out this really useful introductory guide:
http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

Try not to get too horribly caught up on each of the individual techniques right now though, just keep 'em in mind. Furthermore, spend some time analyzing sprites from commercial games that you like. The Spriter's Resource is a fantastic resource for that. Please stay away from most western indie games for that as they're typically examples of what not to do.

One quick tip you can play around with right now is not using black borders so much; try using darker color shades for the borders. For instance, if you have a ball that's blue, make the border a darker blue. You can also try making only the exterior border of the entire object black while coloring only the interior borders.

It takes time to learn stuff, so don't rush it and have fun.
>>
>>3319974
I'm not a pixel artist but this tutorial was very interesting to read. Thanks for the link, anon!
>>
It looks like a character from some nostalgia-bait indie title, specifically one who is a flamboyant gay child with noodle arms and a crushed shoulder.
>>
>>3319549
Is Pixelation still around?
>>
>>3319549
Try making one with a less punchable face.
>>
>>3320175
This desu.
>>
File: boss sprite.png (16KB, 2120x980px) Image search: [Google]
boss sprite.png
16KB, 2120x980px
>>3319549
apply yourself
>>
I am planning to start playing around with some pixels on my phone.
>>
>>3319549
The rez is too high to be a sprite and too crude to be pixel art.

It's really a artstyle of limitations.
You have to learn how to give the appearance of more detail than there really is.
>>
Create the character design first, then portray it with pixels.
>>
File: bloodborne_demake[1].png (7KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne_demake[1].png
7KB, 240x160px
We could have weekly retro-pixel art threads.
>>
>>3322902
>240x160
get your GBA shit out of here
>>
>>3322902
I'm really up for that. /vr/ doesn't have art threads normally, right? We should have pixelart threads instead. I've wanted to learn for a long time.
>>
>>3322902
Retro, he says, while posting bloodborne.
still...i approve.
>>
>>3322686
Actually OP's pic scaled down to 1x resolution is about 100 pixels tall and there are definitely games out there with pixel art of that size (and bigger). Also, there isn't a specific size limit for what constitutes a sprite (although certain systems have hardware limitations when it comes to displaying and storing sprites in memory).

What you said about limitations is solid advice though and is always good to keep in mind when drawing pixel art.
>>
File: 1436494081625.gif (61KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1436494081625.gif
61KB, 640x400px
>>3322686
Either that, or create art with insanely high levels of detail but with very few colors, like pic related.
>>
>>3323923
dat skillful dithering
>>
>>3323923
Kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>3320189
You first. Good god, what a blurry mess. Reminds me of programmer art circa-2001.
>>
>>3319549
>doubling the amount of art that needs to be drawn because special snowflake teenager character has to have asymetrical wrist band and ankle bullshit
>114 x 202 pixels
>pixelart

>>3319559
>Critique welcome
>omg its just for fun
>only say good stuff pls
>>
File: beach_sand_animation_test.gif (12KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
beach_sand_animation_test.gif
12KB, 64x64px
pls no bully
>>
>>3325125
Nice, does it tessellate well?
>>
File: Popful_Mail_Sega_CD_dialogue[1].gif (13KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Popful_Mail_Sega_CD_dialogue[1].gif
13KB, 320x224px
>>3319549
take inspiration from stuff like this anon

instead of indie style
>>
>>3319549
He's missing a chunk out of his head
>>
>>3325129
it does, yes. there's a separate water texture that repeats nicely with it.
>>
>>3323923
>>3323946
Looks computerized, like it was converted to a lower bit depth automatically
>>
>>3325192
Im not sure what game/system thats from but if its not 240p then the dithering looks computerized in general
>>
File: ts_002.png (14KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
ts_002.png
14KB, 320x200px
>>3320189
>>3324168
Reminds me of Bloodlust Software games.
>>
File: previewcomps.jpg (89KB, 807x233px) Image search: [Google]
previewcomps.jpg
89KB, 807x233px
I do it for fun mostly, Some placeholder work I'm doing for a recent game.
>>
>>3325396
everything looked fine til the 2 chicks
they look like tumblr art
>>
>>3325413
Oh good, Thats what I was going for, for the second one, She's meant to be a corporate president who bought out hell, so.

I'll work on the girl though. Tumblr art style is suprisingly hard to copy.
>>
>>3325396
The color scheme is nice.
Is this for a visual novel type game?
>>
>>3325509
Sort of, Its a wacky clue whodoneit detective game I'm working on. I love mystery novels, so I wanted to take a unique spin on it by making the characters and their backstories as outlandish as possible, while making the crime solid.

I'm working on getting a blog together soon so I can actually start posting progress,
>>
>>3325514
Sounds fun!
I'm thoroughly enjoyed the Phoenix Wright series so this sounds right up my ally!
>>
>>3325520
Ace attorney and the early Sherlock holmes/Agitha christie games were a huge inspiration for it

I don't feel I have enough worthy of showing off yet till I get my engine up to speed, but once I do i'll be posting more around AGDG. I don't want to be one of those devs who posts concept work and calls it a day, yknow?
>>
>>3325125
amazing water in this game
>>
>>3325530
Sure, sure, take your time and do things right.

I have way to many half finished projects.
>>
File: emroold.png (7KB, 339x327px) Image search: [Google]
emroold.png
7KB, 339x327px
I draw emeroold. is good?
>>
>>3325537
Why are miiverse kids so obsessed with amazing water textures?
>>
>>3325546
Nice try, MSpaint
>>
>>3325554
so realistic
>>
File: op.png (2KB, 512x464px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
2KB, 512x464px
I Love Pixel Art!
>>
Lmao, this is bait right OP? I'm sorry but what you drew is more of a shitty stick figure done with the pencil tool in MS Paint then anything close to actual pixel art. No shading, ugly lines, ugly colors, and to top it off you made his hair look like it has JPEG artifacts in it.
>>
File: slaggy.png (2KB, 111x95px) Image search: [Google]
slaggy.png
2KB, 111x95px
>>3319974
Not op, am just a random semi decent drawfag, just read that guide and got me inspired.

It's not nearly finished but how am doing on my very first shot?
>>
>>3325537
:( I'm trying to get better.
>>
>>3325885
hes not teasing you, its a meme on miiverse
>>
>>3325887
oh. well, I'm dumb.
>>
>>3325872
this is really cute, anon. I can't into figures.
>>
>>3325872
That's actually quite decent.
>>
File: slaggy2.png (7KB, 209x227px) Image search: [Google]
slaggy2.png
7KB, 209x227px
>>3326435
Thanks, good to know am not doing that bad for a first time... now I decided to add more details but am not sure if it deviates too much from what pixel art should be

>>3326450
>>
>>3326605
it does deviate a bit too far. Looking at the pic you can tell the value of the individual pixel is diminished, and they're not placed as precisely as they should be. Dial it back a notch or two
>>
>>3326610
I upscaled the image so I could put more details. .. guess I went a bit to far, later tonight I will show you.
>>
>>3325872
way too many pixels
>>
>>3326623
there is nothing wrong with details. Though you got to make sure you keep one consistent resolution.

The important bit is
>the value of the individual pixel
regardless of the resolution pixel art is in, the individual pixel has a value. It's not about shapes or lines, it's about the individual pixel. Slaggy in the last pic has a few parts where it looks as if the features were drawn with a small brush, they're not as precise. The picture is starting to become a low resolution drawing, instead of pixel art.

You can keep the resolution, really. It's large, but not bad, but for example, you should go over ever single outline and clean up the "wobbly" bits. Tweak and edit the pixels until the style looks like every pixel sits just where it needs to be. That's pixel art.
>>
>>3326605
start over, and make it in a 32x32 pixel grid.
>>
Am the anon drawing the croc "slaggy". What software would you recommend for this? Take in account am using mouse
>>
>>3326652
Paint or Gimp are just fine. You don't need "tools" beyond the ability to change the color of individual pixels (small pen tool, large zoom), and having a palette at hand.
>>
>>3326656
This

MS paint is perfect for starters.

800% view and grid.

Remember to take the work Pixel by pixel. Don't draw lines or shapes then edit them, draw every individual part one pixel at a time and get your form down first.

Also consider palette colors, for a first time it isnt bad, but I think you could profit better from a more natural green then a vivid one.
>>
File: 1411666890960.png (193KB, 648x757px) Image search: [Google]
1411666890960.png
193KB, 648x757px
>>3326662
>>
>>3326662
>Don't draw lines or shapes then edit them
Got to slow you down on this one. Back in the days most game art was digitized from physical drawings, then cleaned up. As such, it's perfectly valid to do a high resolution drawing or sketch, then translate it down to the target resolution and clean it up. What matters is the last bit, the cleaning up. Where you evaluate every single pixel and fix as necessary.
>>
>>3326656
>>3326662
>>3326667
Aight you guys are being helpfull , I'll try to start over taking in account your advices, if the thread is not ded by tonight I might upload the results
>>
File: PixelVanGogh.png (58KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
PixelVanGogh.png
58KB, 2560x1600px
oc donut steel guise
>>
>>3326751
take the original again, scale it down, reduce the palette to 8 entries with ordered dithering (not Floyd-Steinberg), then scale it back up again. Dithering makes the effect much more convincing, and looks kind of cool
>>
>>3326767
Sounds like pretty good advice. Thanks, anon.
>>
File: CammyStanceFrame3WIP.jpg (582KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
CammyStanceFrame3WIP.jpg
582KB, 1280x960px
>>3319549
I did try once long ago to demonstrate that the "HD Remake" did the art all wrong. The problem was that I am not an artist, but still to prove my point I tried redoing one frame of Cammy White in a way I thought was accurate to the original art yet in a 1080P resolution of pixels. Yes, I know this is a JPG instead of a pixel art PNG for clarity, it was just a quick and dirty screenshot of my desktop around 2008 for an early work in progress.

On the upper left is how the CPS2 pulls the tileset into memory. The lower right inage is the same pieces placed together and stretched to the appropriate proportions (remember CPS2 originally renders out in 16:9 but with the magic of CRT monitors uses that extra video information for some more detail when displayed back to players at 4:3 aspect ratio). The upper right was how the HD Remake edition on 360/PS3 is to display the same frame. My version is on the center, which was for a resolution of 1920x1080.

I could not decide how to render the shading. I was leaning more towards the dithering which Capcom of '94 tended to use in SF2 before they went with a smoother cut anime-esq shading in the Darkstalkers/Alpha series. So you can see on the left side of my version using the dithering to the solid on the right side (zoom into the legs to see).

I felt the original art of SF2/SSF2X always had the character faces in profile-side view such that they are always looking forward towards their opponents. The preview picture of how the final product looks betrayed that in my opinion. So I set off to show how I felt it should be done, but the problem was that I am not an artist and had no clue how to draw, so just this one frame took me a whole day to make. Please forgive the mistakes since I am a "primitive artist" of the untrained variety. I love pixel art, and I thought KOF12-13 looked great, but in the end it seems Capcom did the HD remake in the way people were most happy with. Critiques welcome.
>>
>>3326815
One more note, I went beyond the 16 colors for my version just a bit so I can give Cammy her beautiful blue eyes. If that is an issue, I could have always changed them back to the original hazelnut colour the original sprite had.
>>
>>3326815
>I felt the original art of SF2/SSF2X always had the character faces in profile-side view such that they are always looking forward towards their opponents. The preview picture of how the final product looks betrayed that in my opinion
one could argue that the camera is close to the arena. When the opponents are standing on their respective sides, a camera would see them not in a perfect profile view, but instead closer to what the HD remake did. Of course that claim falls apart the moment a fighter crosses the middle of the screen, which happens practically every fight. One could then argue that the player is busy fighting at that point, but it's a very weak argument.

Regardless, it's cool that you spent some work on this, and it does look quite nice for a self-described amateur

>>3326823
at that resolution a palette limit is kind of arbitrary anyway. Probably much more useful to go for a clean high color drawn look.
>>
File: 1181760051483.png (456KB, 1218x1519px) Image search: [Google]
1181760051483.png
456KB, 1218x1519px
>>3326815
SF HD Remix was done by a bunch of hack faux anime artists though, on a tight deadline limit.

I don't have the pic but they also straight up recycled existing previous art from things like manuals. Copy pasted Ryu's head from some game manual right onto his HD "sprite" because they were too lazy to draw the head, that kind of stuff.
>>
>>3326767
>8 entries
Why 8? 16 makes more sense, a nice even number of 4 bits.
>>
>>3326869
8 is a nice round number. With 16 the dithering effect is not as obvious, with 4 you don't get enough entries to model the major hues.
8 entry palettes were not uncommon back then. I consider any power of 2 fair game.
>>
>>3326875
Well, any computer can be different, but most have it best with bit depths themselves be a power of two.
So what did use 3-bit palettes?
>>
>>3326919
PC-98xx had a bunch of 8-color video modes.

No idea if it used one, but don't forget planar modes. 3 planes of 1 bit/pixel on each (palette index) is a reasonable setup and perfectly in line with 8 bit bytes
>>
>>3326869
>>3326875
16-colour palettes would actually fit better with Genesis and SNES, since they had those.

They could also only do 1 palette per tile, so you'd need to break down the image to use the same 16 colours per every 8x8 pixel square (or was it 16x16, I forgot).

SNES did have a 256 colour bitmap mode I think, but only for backgrounds, not sprites?
>>
>>3326952
oh, and for the 16 colour palettes, it was 15 actual colours, as one entry was the transparent pixel.
>>
>>3319572
Maybe he just forgot.
>>
>>3326952
the context of the exchange is using a low palette counts to produce visible dithering

>>3326954
only for sprites
>>
>>3319549
I don't like the orthogonal black pixels in the outline - mostly noticeable in the hair.
>>
I'm trying to make a new thread, but for some reason it is labeling me as a spammer. What is wrong with this? http://pastebin.com/W4Kk7RM6
>>
If I were to go back to this I realize I didn't convey the fabric stretching well enough, because I believe the suit is somewhat tight thus pushing the breasts down and a bit away into a more oblong shape. "Marvel" bodypaint look may have poorly influenced how I handled the breast on the left and can be corrected by changing just a few pixels (surprisingly with pixel art!) and also would fix the issue I am seeing with the overly large sternum. Arm gloves may or may not be better angled and still maintain in the corrected "rectangular" shape. Feet were tricky, but I think I could get away with a bit of replacement for balance with the added pixels the original artists never had. The limitations of how the game originally functioned, it was tough to balance what/how new pixel art is to be done. Since those tiles are pieced together to create a whole character, each redrawn piece would need to fit with another redrawn piece in animation. The devs must've had a really difficult time with new art, and that's why it is preferable to just make new games instead. So I can sympathize.

>>3326831
It can be argued that way, but the camera in-game is situated above the fighters too if the linescrolling floor effects are to be trusted to draw the perspective horizon line, so maybe the new redrawn art should have had stubby bent foreshortened legs too. I just thought the profile view made it clear with fighters on a 2D plane it was a me vs. you, you vs. me look where the fighters are clearly focused on their opponent in a fight.

I increased the colors from 16 to 18 (the two shades of blue for the eyes).

>>3326851
As mentioned above, I can sympathize. A tight deadline does make it difficult to do anything. I think I read it took SNK one day also to do one frame of KOF12-13 pixel art, and I never finished mine in 1 day (I never finished, the ponytails are ripped right from the intro ^^). The decision was right to redraw wholesale than my method, which ate time.
>>
>>3326957
>the context of the exchange is using a low palette counts to produce visible dithering

Yes, but that does not take it into account that if he subdivides the art into tiles, as it is on retro hardware, then, he can use different 15 colours on each tile, therefore achieving a higher color count.

Plus there is mid-scanline palette change that can further boost palette count but only if the image itself allows for it.
>>
>>3326996
It's probably one of those websites.

Also, please wait for this thread to hit the bump limit first.
>>
File: beach_sand_animation_test.gif (9KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
beach_sand_animation_test.gif
9KB, 64x64px
>>3325125
tried to make my animation a bit more interesting and got rid of the dancing lines of light.
>>
>>3327156
Sorry anon, the first one was better.
>>
File: water_sand_anim_test.gif (21KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
water_sand_anim_test.gif
21KB, 64x64px
>>3327172
any particular reason why you prefer the original? this is the animated water tile layered over the sand.
>>
>>3327172
The dancing lines of light really.

I think if you just added a little shading to the edges of the lines it would look great.
>>
>>3327190
meant for
>>3327179
>>
>>3327156
Timing on the wave is off, do you know what is a slow in/out ? Probably not, download the Animator Survivor Kit.

Also try to make the wet sand line slowly follow back the wave.
>>
>>3327190
>>3327208
I'll give these suggestions a try. Thanks, fellow anons. Wish me luck.
>>
>>3319549
No. I used to do assets for games one pixel at a time but I never made fugly shit like that. Disgusting.
>>
>>3327079
>therefore achieving a higher color count
a higher color count is bad for dithering. Nobody is talking about increasing the color count, just about reducing it
>>
>>3327190
>dancing lines of light
caustics
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.