[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a retro equivalent to Dark Souls? By that, I mean a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: zeldaii-spot1.gif (21KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
zeldaii-spot1.gif
21KB, 512x448px
Is there a retro equivalent to Dark Souls? By that, I mean a game that might have been considered notoriously challenging back in its day, and has a similar setting or gameplay style as DS.

Something like Ghosts 'n Goblins, King's Field or Vagrant Story immediately comes to mind. What else?
>>
>>3312641
Swordmastah
>>
File: darksoulscombat.gif (2MB, 325x232px) Image search: [Google]
darksoulscombat.gif
2MB, 325x232px
>>3312641
>dodgeroll to win
Nope, luckily retro games were designed better than that trash.
>>
>>3312641
The one you posted is probably the closest you will ever get. Its harder than souls though cause you cant get your xp back when you die D:
>>
I've always had a hunch that From probably took a lot of inspiration from Castlevania.
>>
File: Zombie Hunter.png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Zombie Hunter.png
4KB, 256x240px
Zombie Hunter for Famicom is the one I always post.
>>
>>3312709
It's also translated too.
>>
>>3312641
CHAKAN
>>
>>3312654
Nice bait.
>>
Is Dark Souls on the same level of difficulty as games in the NES era?
>>
>>3314063
No, people just think it's hard because games today are too fucking easy compared to 30 years ago.
>>
>>3314063
Not at all. It's not necessarily easy but compared to the tougher games from the 80s, it's still accessible. Then again, they made some games with BS difficulty back in the day.
>>
>>3314063
Depends on who you're asking and what games you're comparing it to. The answer is yes and no.

Something like Deadly Towers comes to my mind.
>>
I'd say Castlevania.
>>
>>3313985
Brutally unforgiving.
>>
>>3312641
Faxanadu
>>
>>3312641
I never played DS

Is there a Soulsborne equivalent of fun retro games like Space Harrier or Wizardry
>>
>>3314403
why are you shilling for pat?
>>
>>3312641
>considered notoriously challenging back in its day

Yes. Basically the entire video game industry was hard as fuck back then.

>has a similar setting

Medieval Fantasy? Yeah, tons.

>gameplay style

Uh, no? How would 2D games be similar to a Souls game in gameplay? I guess Zelda II has some similar mechanics, like getting XP from killing enemies to boost your stats and timing your strikes and blocks, but honestly Souls gameplay is a product of modern technology.

You know what was actually extremely similar to a Souls game though, back in the 80s-90s? Playing D&D with my friends. The DM used to run these awesome dungeons filled with traps, monsters and loot that were deadly as fuck, and what got me into the Souls series was exactly the fact that it reminded me of those days.
>>
>>3312641
>equivalent to Dark Souls
Oh, it's this thread again. I hate summer.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.