[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to experience the evolution of the medium firsthand, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: u3DUgqx.png (8KB, 624x418px) Image search: [Google]
u3DUgqx.png
8KB, 624x418px
I want to experience the evolution of the medium firsthand, but I can't find anything like a worldwide and non system specific chronological list of important, influential and worthwhile games. Does such a thing exist, or is the medium too commercially influenced and immature to be subject to such selection and study?
>>
>>3310472
there's probably some academic literature on the subject for college classes? has video game history become a college major yet?
>>
>>3310472
Even a very sketchy and bare list would take a crazy amount of time to play through and drag you through all kinds of stuff you probably wouldn't enjoy, depending on your taste
>>
Unless you grew up on that shit there's no point in revisiting it. Hell if you're a modern developer probably studying gambling is a more worthwhile endeavor.
>>
>>3310472
>>3310654
Play the arcade greatest hits in chronological order.

Pretty much sums it up.

That way you avoid eceleb opinions like 3d starting in 5thgen too. (there is a large group of retards that actually believe this)
>>
>>3310658
This is depressing.
>>
>>3310472
>too commercially influenced
Yep.
>>
>>3310659
This. You can buy Taito, Sega, Namco, Data East, Konami, Capcom, SNK, Midway, Williams etc. arcade collections if you don't want to emulate. Those are probably the main publishers to look for, too.
>>
Use the wikpedia articles "19xx in video gaming" they're pretty fair and balanced.
>>
>>3311139
And wrong
>>
>>3310472
video games don't work like that you dumb fuck
>>
>>3311576
Of course they do
>>
I agree with the people saying to look into greatest hits collections. The other fortunate thing about games is that most of the notable landmark games were also really popular too, so it's not hard to learn about them and the trends they influenced (IE. SF2 and fighting games).
>>
>>3311152
Are there any other important arcade publishers?
>>
>>3311720
No, not really. Maybe Atari.
>>
>>3310472

They're fucking video games and you're on the internet right now. There's no excuse for you to not find information on games you'd want to play unless you're so brain-dead you don't know how to use search engines or sites like Gfaqs or wiki.
>>
>>3310472
What you describe isn't the evolution of the medium and probably doesn't exist in one list or whatever you think you want. Also, whether a game is worthwhile or influential is totally subjective. I'm amazed on a regular basis by the mediocre shovelware that was considered meh at the time being held up as some iconic milestone in gaming because some blogger in an online mag who played at at age 3 says so today.
Whatever the case, you can't experience the evolution of the medium first hand now. It already happened. If you weren't there for it you missed it. Ask an oldfag and get his opinion on what he experienced of the fragment of the medium. Do that a few thousands times and you might start to have an idea of what you're hoping to understand.
>>
There's no history of video games that doesn't read like a bad GameFAQs Forum post.
>>
>>3317393
someone should make a documentary
>>
>>3317417
This would be nice but unfortunately it would be some kickstarter hipster shitfest so let's be careful what we wish for.
>>
>>3317417
Well, I'm not sure if you'd like it or not, but I recently watched through what was IMO a pretty cool documentary on video game history.

The people over at Retroware TV put it out, but it has a bunch of guests and historically significant people in it as well. At any rate, I thought it was pretty neat.

http://retrowaretv.com/category/shows/the-video-game-years/
>>
>>3317365

This post is bullshit and you know it.
>>
File: mosiac1.jpg (185KB, 925x872px) Image search: [Google]
mosiac1.jpg
185KB, 925x872px
Random idea, figure out the games that inspired Ganbare Neo Poke-kun's mini-games. Play those.
>>
>too commercially influenced and immature

That is exactly why video games are not a "medium"
>>
>>3322153

They "are" a medium. The difference being that it currently lacks some freedoms other mediums have.
>>
>>3321327
Seems Western-focused.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.