[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anybody here tried using a Raspberry Pi as a front end for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20150202_201753.jpg (1MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150202_201753.jpg
1MB, 3200x2368px
Has anybody here tried using a Raspberry Pi as a front end for their living room? I just got one and am having a lot of trouble with input lag, just wanted to check if this shit is normal or just me and if anyone knew exactly how to fix it, every where I go I see different answers on the subject.
>>
>>3305792
Check the retropies/recallbox documentation. Also check your Tv has "game mode"option would help.
>>
RPi doesn't intrinsically have any worse "input lag" than any other PC. It's either your TV or your controllers.
>>
>>3305792
>murdering an SNES to be a hipster butt!
>>
>emulation
>>>/trash/
>>
>>3305792
>I just got one and am having a lot of trouble with input lag

Maybe because these devices were designed to cut costs as much as possible? They're not made for real performance, much less gaming performance. You would have been better off rigging an old desktop to your TV.
>>
I've used RetroPie and a few other distros on multiple Raspberry Pi models and not once had input lag. Check your TV.
>>
pi shill pls go
>>
>>3305942
get out. now.
>>
>>3305839
>paying thousands for original hardware + expensive af games
>>>/cuck/
>>
File: 154657887.png (110KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
154657887.png
110KB, 720x480px
>>3305792
>Raspberry Pi
Homebrew 240p Wii is better choice. Older model with Gamecube ports.
>>
>>3305792
It's your Sammy. Even with game mode on or using a "PC" input, it still has a lot of lag. I'm fairly certain I recognize your display's series. I'm familiar with a similar one. It always scaled HDMI signals even 1080p. Try a PC display for comparison.
>>
>>3305996
This to be honest family computer. Wii is a great emulation station and pretty much everyone has one.

Get a Wii then use your Pi for a server to feed roms to it.
>>
>>3305996
Is it better to play Wii and GC games in 240p if I can't access the cables that would enable 480p, or should I stick to 480i?
>>
File: 1458589211923.jpg (420KB, 1400x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1458589211923.jpg
420KB, 1400x1200px
>>3305985
>not having the real thing
>>
>>3306042
What is that image supposed to convey? That you want to be a blonde bimbo begging for cock?
>>
>>3305996
Assuming the OP posted his own setup, why would he give a fuck about 240p?
>>
>>3306084
Yeah, 240p is incredibly irrelevant when it comes to an HD setup. It would be laggier and look like shit compared to a 1080p/720p TV setup.
>>
>>3305985
>buy a SNES
>buy a flashcart
Not even 150 bucks.
>>
>>3306220
Buy a Rasperry Pi Zero and cables. Use existing SD card and USB controller. Download EVERY game for NES, SNES, Atari 2600, etc, etc. Everything looks plays and sounds like the original hardware. Not even 12 bucks.
>>
>>3306401
Or you skip the Pi Zero and just get cables to hook your computer up to the TV and play all the games the Pi, particularly the Pi Zero, doesn't have the power to handle.
>>
>>3306428
Or you can stick with actual retro games like the ones I listed, which it definitely can handle, and keep your computer free for...you now...computing.
>>
You will have best performance with wired controllers and a crt display.
>>
>>3306434
The Zero can't really handle SNES. Retro systems like PS1 or Saturn are also out of question.
>>
>>3305792
Make sure your TV is set to "Gaming Mode" and not "Cinema Mode" or something weird like that.
>>
>>3306439
Wrong on the SNES but correct on the other two. Currently running Retropie with the full SNES library and they EXACTLY like the originals.
>>
>>3306505
>EXACTLY like the originals.
yeah sure bro, even raspberry pi 1 didn't play SNES perfectly, telling yourself lies wont change the truth
>>
The raspberry pi is for people who want to fuck around with and learn electronics. Basically there is no point in putting it to any real world applications. It's just a heavily branded computer.
>>
>>3305996
>not using a Wii U
>not having a GC adapter
>>
what kind of pi are you using?
>>
>>3305792
Are there any good pre-fabricated Raspberry Pi console housings available? Seeing hipster "modders" sodomizing classic game consoles to put RBPs inside of makes me cringe, and I would want something small, simple and clean with USB ports on the front.
>>
>>3305792
No. Kill yourself immediately.
>>
I have three machines for this purpose. A Raspberry PI 3 running RecallBox , an old Core 2 Duo SMF PC I grabbed from goodwill for $30. The core 2 duo machine has similar emulation capability to the Pi, but everything runs in 1080p much more smoothly than on the pi, except for N64...graphical glitching and shit, and I can have much larger storage options.

The one I am building now is based on an AMD A10 processor and budgeted $200 for the build. Still setting it up, and so far it can run up to the 6th Gen (Aside from Xbox and Saturn, for some reason Yabuse sucks on this rig).

But yea, using a proper PC is what I recommend rather than a Pi unless your wife doesn't want to see a PC hooked up to the TV.
>>
File: 1436741309706.jpg (36KB, 492x305px) Image search: [Google]
1436741309706.jpg
36KB, 492x305px
>>3305838
It's just a quick google image, If I had a snes I woulda just bought a flashcart, A front end setup is appealing because my roommates have different tastes in older games and I want them to be able to easily be able to play their games.

>>3305996
I do have a wii laying around but is there a good way to front end it? I never got too out there with the homebrew apps on it and always hated having to turn on a wii remote to get into my games just to switch to another controller

>>3306173
It's not my real setup but I will be using an HD TV, we rarely use our living room for anything so I want to breathe some live back into it with a pick-up-and-play kinda setup.

>>3308026
Yeah with the issues I'm having on the Pi, I'm already planning to just frankenstein some of my older PC parts together and then buy some budget pieces to fill whatever's missing. I'll probably switch to Launchbox then.
>>
>>3305985
I only buy hardware and flash carts. I agree that one who pays 100+ dollars for a game they could have played on a flashcart is a cuck. But emulation in general sucks, the only emulator that satisfies me is MAME
>>
>>3307965
No really good pre-fabs. But I used a Atari 2600 plug and play console. Worked perfectly.
>>
>>3307546
Not telling myself lies. hooked it up side by side with my actual SNES and couldn't tell a difference. If anything I preferred the emulator as I was using a PS# controller so it was more comfy in my hand.
>>
>>3308374
>always hated having to turn on a wii remote to get into my games just to switch to another controller

My setup is a USB hard drive with ALL my games on it that I run from USB Loader GX, which can use input from any controller to navigate the menus. If you use Priiloader, you can choose to boot to the homebrew channel or a specified *.wad and bypass the system menu (meaning you don't need the wiimote).

You'll need some googling to find your exact needs, but it shouldn't really be that hard to
set up.
>>
>>3308624
haha
this fuckin guy
>>
File: spcinvdrs.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
spcinvdrs.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
>>3306505
>>3308624
>Can't tell difference when side by side
>Prefers PS controller
Are you OK friend?
>>
Where can I get US rom sets for all the major consoles?

epforums has great no-intro sets, but I don't need every version of Zelda for NES ever made, I just want a solid collection of nicely named roms for all the major consoles.

Anyone got any pointers?
>>
>>3306401
>Everything looks plays and sounds like the original hardware.

No. It doesn't.
>>
>>3311583
Get a no-intro set and delete everything that isn't (USA)?
>>
>>3305792
>that butchered snes
Theres a special place in hell for fuckers like you
>>
>>3307715
If you want not-bad-but-not-good upscaled 480p (and 240p) with loads of lag, sen sure. And how would the GC adapter help? Only nintendont works with it as far as I know.
>>
>>3311583
>>>/t/695189
>>
>>3305792
RetroPi interface is some clunky garbage.

Take that shit off and install OSMC.
>>
>>3312426
Thanks love
>>
>>3305996
If you already have a pi and dont mind using the stupid interface, sure. But a pi setup is not much more than a used wii and whatever you need to mod it.

With the pi you can use the one controller to access everything and be able to also use it as a livingroom computer if you wsnt to watch youtube/twitch/whatever, hook it up to dlna server, etcetcetcetc
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.