[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this remake actually better than the original PSX game? Have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: mgs-twin-snakes.jpg (123KB, 800x1136px) Image search: [Google]
mgs-twin-snakes.jpg
123KB, 800x1136px
Is this remake actually better than the original PSX game?

Have not played TS, but lately people are telling me this.
>>
It's better in the sense that it has more gameplay variety, you can for example hide inside lockers and fuck around with guards in more creative ways, it's like MGS2 in that regard.

But some people don't like it because "not like muh original".

If you've already played the original, go ahead and try TS, it's a good remake.
>>
>>3305137
>"not like muh original"
people don´t criticize only for the fact of being a remake, but for the ankward new cutscenes and for shoving MGS2 gameplay into the original level design. It´s like having Venom Snake sprinting like a beast and having full third person shooter on Big Shell. Does it make that a better experience than the original? I don´t think so.
Also, if you think about MGS basically being a 3D revision over MG2 Solid Snake, TS makes even less sense. They are basically putting a PS2 gameplay in a MSX 2d-latter 3d world.
Anyways, of course the game is fun to play and worth the pain, but like anon said, play it like a revision of the original, not like a substitute
>>
>>3305160

Yeah all of what you wrote is what I meant with "not muh original".

I agree with you though, it's not a substitute, but TS is still worth playing. I'm pretty sure if it was released on PS2 it would have been received way better, I don't know why Kojima decided to remake MGS1 on Gamecube when the core fanbase of MGS is on Sony, especially during PS2 era.
>>
>>3305134
It's better graphically, but that's it. The game lets you aim in first person any time you want, but wasn't originally designed with you being able to do that in mind. As a result a lot of the game is far easier than intended and a lot of the level design is kind of broken.

Also some of the voice acting was changed to be much less fun. But that may or may not matter.
>>
File: 435435646.jpg (28KB, 290x699px) Image search: [Google]
435435646.jpg
28KB, 290x699px
Twin Snakes is pure crap. Worse story presentation, worse voice acting (which is sad since Hayter sacrificed some of his pay to bring the original cast back), and most importantly the gameplay mechanics do not mix well with the levels. First person shooting makes the whole thing a joke, even with the new guard abilities.

And why did they change the soundtrack? The boss music is the most generic shit ever.
>>
>>3305172
but anon, the all "not muh original" makes sense when people argue over hd remakes or things like that. Arguing about changing art styles, overal graphics or stuff makes no sense, that´s true. The thing with TS is that they choosed not to do just a remake and actually messed with the game delivering something different from the original (actually developers talked specifically about this)
>>
>>3305191
>Worse story presentation
False.
>worse voice acting
False

>and most importantly the gameplay mechanics do not mix well with the levels. First person shooting makes the whole thing a joke, even with the new guard abilities.

yeah thats all true.
>>
>>3305191
>First person shooting makes the whole thing a joke

Don't use the FP aiming then. It's not like the game forces you to use it, like how you have to multi-whip to grapple hooks in Super Castlevania Bros. (bad game design)
>>
>>3305134
It's inferior to the original in nearly every way. Poorly balanced, looks worse, sounds worse. It's worth investigating as maybe a novelty, but the new mechanics are put to much better use in MGS2. Twin Snakes has very little to offer. It manages to be one of the most pointless remakes around.
>>
>>3305360
>looks worse
Low quality bait.
>>
File: Raven1I2.png (306KB, 616x583px) Image search: [Google]
Raven1I2.png
306KB, 616x583px
They cut my favorite line iirc

>He fights as if possessed by demons.
>>
File: xxmgscompare10.jpg (438KB, 1273x443px) Image search: [Google]
xxmgscompare10.jpg
438KB, 1273x443px
>>3305472
Aside from polygon count, I think it does. In terms of color it's frequently more flat.
>>
>>3305610
Gotta think of the children, anon.

>Mommy, what did he mean by that? Am I possessed by demons?
>>
>>3305610
wow, what a brilliant line. very deep. i wonder why they cut it?
>>
Outside of a few seconds of oddities in cutscenes and Naomi's voice, TS is way better than the original.
>>
>>3305472
The original is much more striking.
Its textures and lighting are just simply more well-thought out.
>>
>>3306015

By few seconds you must mean in most cutscenes.

Going through lases in the intro is retarded. The briefing in Twin Snakes is retarded. The camera work in the first proper cutscene is retarded. Every cutscene with the ninja is retarded. Snake doing a 360 noscope on Sniper Wolf is retarded. The jeep chase in TS is retarded. Liquid flipping on a catwalk is retarded. Snake jumping over a door like a retard is, well, you know.
>>
The music is straight-up garbage, I'm sure it's minor to a lot of people but it feels like a totally different game with the soundtrack replaced. Would not recommend. If someone hacked a version that had the PS1 music restored I'd play the fuck out of it, at least.
>>
>>3305472

Higher resolution =/= better graphics

From a design standpoint the original is much better, limitations sometimes breed creativity. TS just looks like any other gritty GC game.
>>
I played TS first, and wasn't too impressed with it. I played the original on PSN four years later and I thought it was much better, somehow they messed up the atmosphere with TS.

Also

>removing the encounter theme

Why??
>>
>>3305134
TS is definitely worse than the original. But it's fun/interesting to play it and arrive at that conclusion yourself.
>>
>Is this remake actually better than the original PSX game?
As someone whose first MGS was TTS and still has a soft spot for it:

No
>>
>>3305353
>worse voice acting
>False

I would say just highly subjective. I like the original VA much better.
>>
>>3305869
I agree with this guy. MGS on playstation looks like it was designed with that hardware in mind and works with it's limitations. Twin Snakes looks like a shitty upres. It's not bad exactly, but doesn't look as good as the original.
>>
>>3305191
The soundtrack is weird. Not sure why they converted everything into the weird techno shit from MGS2. Doesn't fit the game at all.
>>
I actually played Twin Snakes first and then went back and played the original. The original is far better. While the graphics are rough, the use of color is better, as are the lighting effects. The original is also much tougher, and helps build suspense since getting caught means death, especially on higher difficulties. Also the soundtrack is much better and actually fits the game more. The only thing I would argue is better in Twin Snakes is that they added the dog tags from MGS2, which changes the gameplay a bit. Sadly, getting them doesn't really unlock shit.
>>
>>3307070
Original VA was too cheesy and cartoony. New VA was more serious and professional.
>>
>>3307828
>Original VA was too cheesy and cartoony
And that fits the B-movie plot of MGS perfectly.
>>
>>3305134
It's a lot sillier but it does control and play much better, and the visual face lift is very nice. I'd say it's definitely worth playing.
>>
>>3305134
Just think of the game as an exaggerated retelling of Shadow Moses, with cutscenes straight out of your Devil May Cry vidyas.

https://youtu.be/DP29E9MljaE
>>
>>3305134
Twin Snakes is still great. You don't need to use all the new gameplay techniques so complaining that first person aiming breaks the game is a bit silly when you could just not use it and play it like the original.

The changes in cutscenes while strange aren't any more retarded than the entire MGS series storylines, characters and stunts. So that argument is equally retarded

Obviously it looks a hell of a lot better.

But I've not played MGS on the PS1 since my first time playing it about 15 years ago.
>>
>>3305134
I like the original better, with the exception of not having a roll move and not having the smooth first-person aiming that TS has. TS is worth playing if you've already experienced the original though.
>>
>>3305134
it is the first mgs but it has the gameplay of mgs2 (my favorite). but they changed some voice acting (mei ling if i remember) and the whole story plays out a lot cornier than the original.

so it depends on what you are looking for. i think the gameplay is fantastic, but i am glad that i played the playstation version first.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbIQcmgEqQ

Accurate depiction of Twin Snakes cutscenes.
>>
>>3305134
It's infuriating how the first game has unlimited draw distance and in this one you see fog on indoor areas, coupled with the game's proprietary smog filter.

Dolphin is definitely a must if you're really going to play this game after the original.
>>
I recently got it for a super cheap price. Haven't played it yet but am annoyed by everyone complaining about it. Sure it's not the original in any sense, but I still imagine it gives you a fairly pleasant experience.

Obviously it's not as good as the PS3 HD releases but it's still a solid title for the GameCube
>>
>>3308209

MGS1 on PS3 is still the same PS1 version, only 2, 3 and PW got HD treatment.
In fact, I bought the Legacy collection and MGS1 is a downloadable code, not on-disc, which was disappointing.
>>
>>3308220
But is the legacy version an HD remake
>>
>>3308268

Of MGS1? No, it just includes the downloadable PS1 version as download code.
>>
>>3308303
So to date there is no HD release of MGS1?

If this is the case then I really don't get why TTS gets such a bad rap(even with the changed stuff).
>>
>>3308331

Right, no HD MGS1 so far.

I don't know why the huge backlash against TS, it's not bad really, worth playing if you like the series.
>>
>>3308335
Yea I've played MGS1 plenty of times it'd be cool to see some updated graphics and a different way to play the game. Happy I picked it up for a bargain.
>>
>>3305610
They cut mine too

>You must be a real threat in the muktuk eating contest.

Twin Snakes tried way too hard to suck all the fun out of MGS.
>>
>>3305324
>delivering something different from the original

You keep telling anon you're not using the "not muh original" argument but you literally go back to it every time with each rebuttal.

That being said I love the original more but TS has some fun quirk to it that makes it worth a play through every so often for me. Then again I'm in the 1% that MGS2 is their favorite in the series. That usually just negates my opinion anyway.
>>
>>3305134
Well back when it came out, it was seen as bad, because of the retarded story scenes with constant special effects, jumping into the air for no reason, bad jokes, bullet time and etc and pointless gameplay additions that don't really fit with the game or content at all.
These days, it's seen as better than the original, because those things are in EVERY new game, so younger gamers don't really know any better. Plus, it has better graphics than the original, so yeah. Some people only care about tech specs and graphics these days. So they're OBVIOUSLY gonna tell you TTS is better than the original...

Personal opinion: It's OK. It's not exactly bad, but it's in no substantial way better than the original. If anything, the original is better in my eyes, because they did so much with so little, and it feels like it was carefully crafted, where TTS feels like it was tossed together on a budget.
TTS is one of the only worthwhile games in the Gamecube. So that could mean something to some people. Not to me so much, but to some people, I'm sure.
>>
>>3309262
Not him, I do agree that just saying it's not the original is a hollow argument. I think the issue is more that a lot of the ways that it's not the original are kind of worse. I feel similarly about it to you though, it's still fun to play through now and then even if it's not as good overall in a number of ways.
>>
>>3309279
>These days, it's seen as better than the original
citation needed

Most people still say the original is better.
>>
>>3309262
>Then again I'm in the 1% that MGS2 is their favorite in the series.

Don't be that way. I put MG2, MGS1 and MGS2 on the same level and I'm often thinking MGS2 might be my favorite for all the love everybody put into it, and because it gives a message very dear to me.

That said, I can't stand TTS. There's too many things wrong with it, but I guess we can be grateful because people who made it were obviously working with the source material, and some dialogue which got cut from the original re-emerged out of nowhere. You could also argue the translation was more accurate (and in some ways, more dumb), but the flat delivery didn't do the readaptation any favors.
>>
>>3309349
MGS2 fans often have a complex about people not liking it. It's a little weird. I like 3 the best, but they're all pretty excellent and liking 2 best doesn't seem unusual these days.
>>
>>3309349
Not the poster you're referencing, but good taste mate. MGS2 is that good, despite what anyone wants to tell you.

I like TTS as a fun little ride, which I think is what it is. It in no way captures the original intrigue of MGS, but knowing all of the pieces of the story, I can enjoy the few extra features that TTS throws in. It is very nice to have First Person. Then again, I played MGS2 first, so I was already expecting that. Anyway, it's fun to have in the collection. Hold on to it, idiots will drive the resale price up.
>>
>>3305134
twin snakes is basically a parody of metal gear solid 1

both are required playing
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.