[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it that people have working 3DOs, Saturns and other early

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

How is it that people have working 3DOs, Saturns and other early optical media consoles? Shouldn't the optical units be burned out by now? And how are the games even in working condition decades later? Optical media is very prone to oxidation. Although the quality of the media plays a large role in this, I can't imagine discs manufactured so long ago will continue to hold up for much longer. (Come to think of it, shouldn't audio CDs from the early '90s also be suffering from degradation by now?)
>>
The lasers can go kaput but as long as optical drives are still manufactured (and they aren't likely to go away for a long time) you will be able to replace your drive mech.
>>
>>3303143
Because Saturn has a great optical drive compared to the shitty PSX.
>>
>t. someone with no vintage cd hardware

I'm a little suspicious this might be bait though due to specifically mentioning disc formats that do have notable oxidation.
>>
For hardware, it still works because most people put their consoles away in storage after a set of newer consoles came out. Also the vast majority of people didn't play their console a 100 hours a week and run it into the ground. Also, it's not hard to take proper care of your shit.

For CDs, not sure what causes disc rot but "issue" is highly over exaggerated. Disc rot I believe was a manufacturing error that was fixed, and the vast majority of disc games won't ever suffer from it as long as you store it well.

As for games still working, again, it's not fucking difficult to take care of your shit and not scratch up your games. I still own a mint copy of launch day FF7 that doesn't even have a smudge on it. Treat your shit with care and put it away in the case when you're done with if. It's not hard.
>>
>>3303152
Sega used Hitachi CD drives. Sony (obviously) used their own drives. IDK if Hitachi's drives were better than Sony's but sounds like it.
>>
>>3303164
Sega used JVC drives with a Hitachi controller. On later Saturns they changed the Hitachi controllers to cheaper ones from, I think, Mitsubishi.
>>
>>3303159

It's an issue with oxidation. Nothing can stop CDs from gradually degrading as they continue to be exposed to the atmosphere, except maybe placing them in a vacuum seal. Or maybe coating all discs with gold.

Anyway, every optical disc currently in existence should become unreadable within just a few decades, and that's a pretty generous estimate. A lot of it depends on the quality of the media. Some materials resist oxidation longer than others, but I'm not entirely sure what manufacturing standards the various hardware developers had. I doubt any developer insisted on having their games pressed on solid gold discs.
>>
>>3303164
It goes beyond the physical drive, Sony decided it would be smart to pass the hot air by the cd drive on it's way out the system, warping the plastic. Sony are masters of terribad hardware design
>>
>>3303209
>Sony are masters of terribad hardware design
Yeah but their shit looks so good tho
>>
>>3303198

>Anyway, every optical disc currently in existence should become unreadable within just a few decades, and that's a pretty generous estimate.
Take proper care of your discs, and they should last your entire life and then some.
>>
>>3303221
>Take proper care of your discs, and they should last your entire life and then some.

No they won't. Oxidation is progressively killing them no matter what you do. It won't make any difference how you store them, unless you have some way to remove them from our oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere entirely.
>>
>>3303209
It's called planned obsolescence. How else are you going to sell 125 million playstations, but by making them dirt cheap and break down every three years? Once the kids are hooked up on it, and it breaks, they have to get a new one.
>>
>>3303226
Then why do people have 5.25" floppies from 1983 that still work?
>>
>>3303226
Yes they will. The sealing is air tight. Disc rot only happens when the plastic cover is shitily made or there are deep scratches that expose the information layer.
>>
>>3303240
Because magnetic media =/= optical media, you baka.
>>
File: CURTIS.jpg (10KB, 300x235px) Image search: [Google]
CURTIS.jpg
10KB, 300x235px
>>3303226
>No they won't. Oxidation is progressively killing them no matter what you do. It won't make any difference how you store them, unless you have some way to remove them from our oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere entirely.

[citation needed]
>>
>>3303246
inb4 citing wikipedia
>>
>>3303246
>>3303252
>I need a source to tell me that metal rusts
Not that anon but god damn are millennials fucking dumb.
>>
Isn't this only a problem on cheap writable discs?
Professionally distributed discs are durable.
>>
>>3303261
Correct
>>
>>3303260
First, not all metals rust only ferrous ones. Second, as you already said one way to prevent even ferrous metals from oxidizing is to remove them from the atmosphere like for example sealing them inside plastic.
>>
>>3303267
CDs aren't perfectly sealed.

Rust is a figure of speech. All metal will corrode.
>>
>>3303265

Not correct. Disc rot is largely determined by manufacturing standards.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/Disc-Rot/An-important-note-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

Then there's the issue of the quality of material used. Some materials provide stronger protection than others and thus extend the longevity of discs. Some materials break down quickly and expose the disc to damaging chemical reactions. This is especially true of CD-Rs, but it happens just as well with professionally pressed discs.
>>
>>3303176
Sony's drive also had a Hitachi controller, for all revisions I think.
>>
>>3303276
Ashes to ashes but if you think a properly manufactured, properly stored CD is going to become unreadable in 20 years you're an idiot.
>>
>>3303301
A have a box of PS2 and XBOX games that are trashed from disc rot I posted last time.
>>
>>3303306
Take some personal responsibility for not taking care of your shit. I own thousands of discs and only a dozen or so show signs of disc rot, Mostly Sega CD, Saturn and 3DO discs, not counting "laser rot" on LDs. Not a single PS2 or Xbox disc shows any sign of disc rot.
>>
While we're talking disk rot, how susceptible are PS1 games?
>>
>>3303321
Sony had the best presses in the world by a wide margin.
>>
>>3303301

Pretty sure numerous people can testify to disc rot. If it's never happened to any of your games, you've definitely lucked out. I've even seen new in box games opened up with rot already present. Believe it or not, big name industry leaders don't actually engage in the most fair to honest practices after all.

>idiot

Jackass.
>>
>>3303327
As I said I have seen it on some Sega discs but it's 100% impossible for you to have "a box of" sixth gen games that spontaneously rotted. They were exposed to significant moisture guaranteed.
>>
>Dreamcast is indeed very suspect for disc rot, as has been noted here. Also above the 10-15% disc rot ratio for me personally has been Sega CD, Turbo Grafx CD/Super CD, Saturn, CD-I, 3DO, and music CDs and PC CD-Roms in the 95 to 2000 range.
>>
>>3303335
The GD-Roms the DC uses have denser pits to hold more data, so they're probably more susceptible.
>>
>>3303340
>>3303335
Different Dreamcasts have pretty wildly different reading capacity. Some of my Dreamcasts chug along just fine with shit-brand CDRs while others only read about half the retail discs I put in them. It's very possible that people who report high incidences of "disc rot" are simply attempting to read mildly worn discs in hardware that is beginning to fail.
>>
>>3303198
A few decades is highly exaggerated. Most manufactures predict they could last 100-200 years if stored properly. IE not your moms basement or attic.
>>
>>3303240
Because it's different tech, dumb ass.
>>
>>3303306
That you stored in the attic
>>
>>3303306
>I stored my games like shit and they rotted!
>>
>>3303346
I have a Dreamcast that can read every single game I own flawlessly except Shenmue. My backup Dreamcast can read it just fine. When the laser starts to go the first games that struggles to read are the heavily data intensive ones.
>>
>>3303353
What's bad about an attic or basement? What about the second floor?
>>
>>3303209
That was only on the very earliest PS models like SCPH-1001. Anything after SCPH-5501 doesn't have this issue.
>>
>>3303372
Moisture in the basement, heat in the attic. Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>3303386
How about you fuck yourself you little shit.
>>
>>3303391
How about you learn basic science cockmongler. Back to /v/ with you.
>>
>>3303408
I already knew what you said.

Kill yourself, nu-male bitchboy.
>>
>>3303421
Then why would you ask the question, idiot? Do you really not understand that high heat and or humidity will rot basically anything?
>>
>>3303317
>>3303358
>>3303360
>I didn't read
>here's my assumptions
Like I said in the last thread I used to be a big collector and they're from lots.

Still a box of games with discrot.
>>
>>3303421
Confirmed underage shitposter from /v/. Only a matter of time before your bitch ass starts a "is 6th gen retro topic."
>>
>>3303429
>what is a de-humidifier
>what are windows
>what is airflow
>what is air-conditioning
You're exaggerating the amount of heat and humidity in both environments and underestimating the durability of a properly pressed disc stored in a case.
>>
>>3303445
Nice projection, dumb fuck.
>>
>>3303446
>air conditioning
>in attics

Might want to ask your dad how houses are built kiddo
>>
>>3303442

Here's the conversation going down:

>>3303353
>>3303372
>>3303386
>>3303391
>>3303408
>>3303421
>>3303429

Learn to follow a conversation, dumb ass. Some idiot asked what's so bad about storing them in an attic or basement, someone answered, they sperged out, you jumped in like it has anything to do with you.
>>
>>3303453
Look at the posts I linked.

Dumb ass reddit child has no idea how a post chain works.
>>
>>3303450
Might want to check that reading comprehension. I never explicitly stated air conditioning in the attic, you stupid fucking piece of shit. It is possible, although irrelevant in my situation.
>>
>>3303464
>back pedaling this hard

Listen man, you asked a dumbass question. Just own your stupidity and move on already.
>>
>>3303456
>You didn't read a post from a different thread!
>You didn't interpret information that was never presented in the first place!
>You must be from Reddit!

That's you.
>>
>>3303467
How about you learn what backpedaling means. You can fuck right off.
>>
>>3303464
>It is possible, although irrelevant in my situation.

Lol sure buddy. It's possible that maybe you're an idiot who stored your shit terribly, but irrelevant.
>>
File: IMG_0699.jpg (1MB, 2000x1124px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0699.jpg
1MB, 2000x1124px
>>3303471
What are you arguing? That you're a fucking retard?
>Learn to follow a conversation
This is what you typed to me. This isn't reddit you underage little shit. 4chan uses a post chain.

One of the pics I posted from the last thread.
>>
>>3303476
I didn't though.
>>
What the hell happened to this board? /vr/ was the last bastion for sane gaming discussion, now it's just another stomping ground for trolls.

I wish the Hiro administration would actually try to salvage this site instead of letting every last board go to shit. I guess as long as Hiro can continue to collect revenue from ads and CAPTCHAs, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>3303479
>I'm retarded and trying to project my retardation onto others

Yeah, we got that.
>>
>>3303482
Nothing you can do. 4chan is what? In the top 5 most visited community sites? Think it's still a top 100 visited site.
>>
>>3303486
Thanks for confirming you're an idiot.
>>
>>3303386
>>3303391
>>3303408
>>3303421
Damn. Can't we have a single thread without shit like this? You'd think this board would show some sign of maturity.
>>
I leave this thread for a few hours and I come back to this.

What the fuck is even going on, like holy shit.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.