[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Why did they change from Survival horror to run and gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (105KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
105KB, 1920x1080px
>Why did they change from Survival horror to run and gun?

Resident Evil-Code Veronica (and the gamecube remakes) are some of my favorite games, but once they released 4 the series went to shit.
>>
>>3302406
Not retro >>>/v/
>>
>>3302415
How? I never post on here or /v/ however I did read the sticky here and it says games launched before 1999. Since I was discussing the series as a whole (not to mention the first 3 games came out before 99) I thought this would be the appropriate board.

Sorry if it isnt.
>>
>>3302406
cause' casual gamers are to stupid for immersive stuff. they need quick and fast boom boom action now.
>>
>playing through resident evil 2 on N64
>never realized first person control was actually true analog control
>think it's way better to control but it kills the challenge

I'm conflicted /vr/
>>
>>3302524
You could play in first person on N64? I only played it on the Play Station.
>>
>>3302481
But most casual gamers dont play quick and fast boom action now games

They like The Last of Us
>>
>>3302406
I'm sure that you could find the actual statistics, but i'd assume that resident evil 4 was probably the most well received and best selling. which caused them to try and emulate what they thought caused that, rather than staying true to the series.
>>
>>3302531
You don't know what casual means and neither does he so both of you shut the fuck up.
>>
>>3302543
Let's be honest about Resident Evil.

The entire game is "Find key A to put into lock A, solve a braindead puzzle every now and then". It would've been much better if the elements introduced in REmake were expanded upon, with zombies being able to spread through the mansion and for more to show up every now and then, forcing you to take the long way or to spend bullets.
>>
Because Mikami had always wanted to make a pure action game.

He talked about it in interviews before even the release of RE1.

The fact that it's Resident Evil is simply because for Capcom it's easier to have a bigger bugdet, and bigger sales, with an established franchise which has already sold MILLIONS of units.

>>3302527
No, "first person controls". As in, camera centric controls rather than character centric. Meaning that, unlike in the intended control scheme, you press left to go on what's left on the point of view of what YOU are seeing.

>>3302524
Don't use it. The game was not intended was this control scheme in mind. With it, you are able to pull moves you are NOT supposed to be able to do. It would be like having a double jump in Super Mario Bros 3, or crouching and jumping in Doom.

Romhacks and ports added those, doesn't mean it that they don't break the game.
The fact that it's an official port hardly means anything, because N64 port devs were not the original game devs, and the N64 version is a shitfest, and its only feat is the very fact that it exists... on N64. Only the item randomizer mode makes it worth playing imo.
>>
>>3302527
The control scheme is called "first person" but it just means that if you push up you go up, down, you go down. Basically Mario 64 style 3D controls instead of the tank controls. It honestly breaks the game badly. The intro part running through the city with zombies is a joke. You can literally run circles around them.
>>
>>3302553
The N64 version is pretty great with the expansion pack. It looks damn good for its time, and from a technical point of view I'm still blown away they managed to port it.
>>
Best Resident Evil game?

>I vote Nemesis
>>
>>3302582
I like 2 the best. If Nemesis had the whole different scenario thing going for it and a second character it would edge it out for me.
>>
>>3302582
One had the best setting
2 had the best story
3 had the best enemies
Veronica had the best gameplay
>>
Unpopular opinion coming thru!

I like the old RE games but 4 is fantastic and the still the best game in the series. Nothing gets your heart pumping like being stuck in a boarded up shack fighting off hoards of "people".
>>
>>3302609
How does it get your heart pumping when you have over 9000 rounds of ammo?

>be resident evil one
>have 1 bullet in gun
>have to run past 3 dogs and 8 crows
>health on danger
>cant use the one bullet for suicide

That gets your heart pumping so much more than, "omg gotta mow down all these people with my machine guns". Of course this is all personal opinion but I think anyone who started the series in the early days would agree.
>>
>>3302607
Still can't forgive Code Veronica for having enemies that respawn. The fuck was Capcom thinking.
>>
File: 1209850-re4_art_08.jpg (881KB, 1663x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1209850-re4_art_08.jpg
881KB, 1663x2000px
>>3302618
RE4 tends to be mellow and suddenly go to "HE WONT FUCKING DIE HE WONT FUCKING DIE HE WONT FUCKING DIE HE WONT FUCKING DIE!!"

Atmosphere is a major part of fear. Hell, play the original Doom with the atmospheric music mod and project brutality, it becomes fairly scary.
>>
>>3302658
>comparing any game to the original DOOM in terms of atmosphere.

Literally DOOM has the greatest atmosphere of any game ever.
>>
>>3302669
Nigga I've been binging on Doom and its countless mods and I can tell you that the original Doom has about as much atmosphere as a burger stand.
>>
do the GC versions have tank controls?
>>
>>3302426
autistic /vr/ shitposter, it's relevant, carry on
>>
>>3302669
Maybe with some of the slower paced music but the more fast paced thrash music always gets in the way of the darker areas in which you are just groping around trying to find your way out with demons about and instead you still feel to put lead into everything.

The first Diablo has some nice atmosphere.

>>3302406
More like run and stops. I don't hate RE4 but I don't like it compared to other TPS's due to control mechanics that make sense, like being able to move and shoot at the same time.
>>
>>3302798
From what I remember they do. But once you get use to the controls it isn't too bad
>>
>>3302798
Yup, the only control scheme available
>>
I've only played 1 and 2, and only on PS1. I briefly tried 4 many years ago.

I prefer the challenge of the first game. The hunters will punish you for all the ammo you squandered against zombies. It is perfectly paced and it felt much bigger than RE2, even after having played that one first.

2 feels much better to control, and it looks amazing. I still prefer the uglier graphics and puke colored walls of RE1, but RE2 is masterful in its presentation. It is way too easy, you get a billion weapons and the puzzles are even dumber than in the first game.

4 is nothing to me, it feels like any other third person action game of its era. Silent Hill 2 and 3 are better alternatives.
>>
>>3303207
>>3303207
I always thought Nemesis was the hardest I played. Some of the early encounters with nemesis were insanely hard.
>>
>>3303292
Nemesis was a cakewalk
>>
>not knowing the joy of having played the psx titles fresh back in the day and then playing the remakes to enjoy an enhanced replay

>code veronica
>good
>>
>>3304964
Whats wrong with Veronica?
>>
>>3306161
She gave him crabs
>>
>>3302582
>>3302587
>>3302607
3 was just an extension of 2 with a few new moves and other innovations, hardly a new game.

Veronica was new and awesome.
>>
>>3302609
it's not fight-or-flight

resident evil was about ammo conservation and puzzles. 4 was more about action and levels
>>
File: 70237.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
70237.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>reading /vr/ thread on survival horror
>can't see Dino Crisis anywhere

PLEBS PLEBS PLEBS
>>
Run and gun sells better than "ugh why do I have to fight with these awful controls and shitty camera angles just to play a horror game?"
>>
It is actually pretty simple: They tried to change the formula a bit with RE4, even if gameplay-wise they went over a "bit", the game still had some stuff from the classic REs, and also kind of the same feeling overall (although this is probably because Mikami directed it).

Then, once RE4 was a complete success Capcom wanted to keep the money coming and tried to make RE4 the templante for the series, and oversaturation and people whining "not muh RE" killed the brand.

With all that said I don't think RE5 was bad, the forced co-op killed it a bit though. RE6 would have been the best if they didn't shove QTEs and cinematik setpieces every 2 minutes.

RE2 and REmake are the best, would be cool to get back that style but honestly it might be harder to do than most fans think. I believe is way harder to market an oldschool RE/SH stylized game.
>>
>>3306647
I don't even own a system past a PlayStation 2, could you explain exactly what the remakes are like? Are they pretty close the original style like the GameCube remakes?
>>
>>3302607
This seems about right. The first game has the best atmosphere; there's something in the dusty and claustrophobic mansion that the later games didn't quite catch. 2 especially has relatively wide open areas that pale in comparison to those of the first one.
>>
>>3306468
DINOSAUURRS! So scary!
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.