[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently emulating on a Wii and am using component

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
I'm currently emulating on a Wii and am using component cables on a rear projection LCD tv. The games look great, but I was wondering if picking up VGA cables and hooking it up to a CRT monitor would produce a better picture with no lag
>>
>>3298949

>he doesn't know
>>
>>3298949
Are you attempting sarcasm or trolling?
>>
>>3298916

>rear projection LCD tv

>???
>>
>>3298916
the wii doesn't support vga
>>
>>3298975
>>3298949
How many more replies will be wrong in this thread?
>>
>>3298975
>>3298979
It doesn't though.

The "VGA" cables for sale on Amazon have a transcoder in them, and changes the Component signal that the Wii DOES output to RGBHV i.e "VGA"; Not a standard VGA resolution though, as it'll technically be NTSC spec'd in resolution, 720x480 rather than 640x480.
>>
>>3298916
>using modern console
>emulation of old games
>lag
>on a console made for HD connections
>>
>>3298916
At that point you'd be better off just emulating on a PC. The only redeeming factor of Wii emulation is 240p signal for CRT televisions.
>>
>>3298949
>there is no such thing as input lag
>>
What the fuck is happening in this thread?

OP, switch to progressive scan (480p) in the Wii. That's all you need to do. Getting VGA cables won't reduce any video delay any more than that.
>>
File: 1420680350757.png (107KB, 300x160px) Image search: [Google]
1420680350757.png
107KB, 300x160px
>all of this incredible retardation

Jesus dick.

OP, I have the Wii VGA cable, or one of them at least. I've used it on a PC CRT, and it looks excellent.

>the lag
I cannot tell any input lag (more than a crt tv) exists, (and if there's lag, I can usually tell), and I "clocked" it against a TV CRT with a 120fps iPhone camera, and it seems to have no more lag than any connection, matching composite on a crt tv. Could still be wrong but I doubt it. It has a "transcoder" inside that turns the YPbPr signal to RGBHV. I don't know how that process works, or how much lag if any it produces. The lag will certainly be less than your LCD.

>the picture
The picture will almost certainly be better. Mine was the best I've ever seen a Wii output, and that's including HDTVs with the HDMI adapter. However, only 480p will work. You have to set it to 480p in the menu, which means before you use it on the PC monitor. (there's a cable that you can plug into a composite port which works at 480i, or as component at 480p. Use this on some other tv if it's set to 480i and you need to change it)

>PC CRT Monitors
Keep in mind, VGA isn't accepted by any CRT tv. You have to find a CRT PC Monitor. Those typically aren't as available as TVs. Not only that, but they come smaller. You'll be hard pressed finding any over 21", which is fine unless you want to play Smash with buds. Even then, it's alright, but bigger is better. They do exist, but are far rarer.

Check Craigslist and be willing to drive around. Maybe you'll get lucky.
>>
>>3299009
>Wii
>Console made for HD connections
>>
>>3299932
What Wii VGA cable do you use? Link? I'm really in the market for a working one, all the reviews I see on amazon are mixed.
>>
>>3299460
How do you know if his display supports 480p?
Also, 480p will upscale the games. Running in 480i and using the menu to set the games to run as 240p will be more accurate.

This whole thread is ass
>>
>>3299952
I assume they're mixed because
A. People are retarded and use them wrong
B. Some of them are manufactured incorrectly (doubt)

https://amzn.com/B0015MISAG

Also works on the WiiU. And the PS3 I assume, haven't tested it.

Forgot to mention: VGA doesn't include audio. So if you're going the computer speaker route you'll want something like this
https://amzn.com/B00EG1S5N8
>>
>>3299952
ALSO forgot to mention:

>>3299956
Like this guy says, it'll upscale 240p games.
If you want to play any 240p games (NES, SNES) you should use a CRT TV, not pc monitor, and set them to 240p mode (don't ask me how it's some weird combination of buttons)

So basically if you want this for retro gaming solely you don't really want a PC monitor or the vga thing at all.
But if you want it for N64 games, I think it renders them at 480p.
or if you want it for GCN or Wii games it's good.
>>
>>3300040
>>3300048
I have a PC CRT Monitor and I'm converting RGB 9-Pin CGA to VGA, so would it in any way be worth it? I'm trying to get RGB from the Component on the wii with the least adapting as possible, so is this cable out of the question because of the required 480p?
>>
>>3298916
No.
>>
>329992

Thanks a lot, your advice was really useful. Also, anyone who called the Wii HD, go die
>>
>>3298949
>>3298979
>>3298975
>>3298968
>>3298956
Lag is latency. It is for networking, not displays.

this is /vr/ not /g/ mind you.
>>
File: UirNOLJ.png (34KB, 620x336px) Image search: [Google]
UirNOLJ.png
34KB, 620x336px
>>3300181
you're retarded aren't you?
>>
>>3298916
Neither.

Playing the Wii (regardless of using RF, Composite, S-Video, RGB SCART, Component, VGA or even HDMI) on an HDTV will result in input lag and crappy picture quality due to the shitty non-integer scaling.

Playing the Wii on a consumer CRT monitor with VGA cables is also garbage because you can only play games in 480p. No 480i or 240p.

The best solution is to play the Wii with Component Cables on a Multiscan BVM.
>>
>>3300091
>i'm converting rgb 9-Pin CGA to VGA
what
>>
>>3300286
But if you're playing GCN or Wii games it's fine
>>
>>3298949
lag (lăg)
n. An interval between one event or phenomenon and another
>>
>>3299956
>>3300048
Holy shit it's amazing how smart summerfags can manage to sound. OP said he's using a rear projection LCD TV. LCDs are progressive scan. Period. This isn't a situation where you need to flex the info you learned in the last 3 weeks in the crt thread.
>>
>>3298916
You're halfway there but still doing it wrong. Get a SD CRT TV and use your component cables on that. It'll give you the best visuals and no input lag.
>>
>>3300091
If you're the same anon with the 1080 from the /crt/ thread, you just need to go from 240p/480i Component to 240p/480i RGB, NOT CGA.

CGA is a Digital RGB signal and doesn't work that way you're thinking it does. The 1080 takes both this Digital RGB and Analog RGB, which is what you want to turn the Component signal into.

>>3300286
>Multiscan BVM
or any other monitor that accepts both 15khz and 31khz signals.
>>
>>3299948
>what is component
>>
>>3301151
what is 240p over component

EDTV doesn't count
>>
>>3301710
240p is an double-scan signal practically identical to 480i. If your HDTV even processes it at all, it will still de-interlace it causing the same amount of delay a 480i signal will result in (although hopefully without the jaggies)
>>
>>3300495
You can feed an LCD interlaced and it'll still work.

Not so with the CRT PCs, which is what we wanted to make sure was communicated
:3
>>
File: VideoModeDialog[1].png (31KB, 695x257px) Image search: [Google]
VideoModeDialog[1].png
31KB, 695x257px
>>3302878
Jesus fucking Christ.

If you "feed an lcd" an interlaced signal, presuming it even supports them it will need to deinterlace it first, introducing lag as well as degrading the image.

Second, PC CRTs support all sorts of interlaced resolutions. Just very few of them go down to 480i/240p at 15khz scan

All of this arguing is off topic though. OP only asked how to get the best image out of his Wii on a 16:9 DLP over component and the answer is to simply switch the Wii to 480p.

If he's going to be using it exclusively for retro gaming I might offer a suggestion that he leave the Wii in 4:3 screen ratio and set his display to have ladderbars but chances are he's long gone.
>>
File: Expand Your Vocabulary.png (8KB, 589x272px) Image search: [Google]
Expand Your Vocabulary.png
8KB, 589x272px
>>3300262
Actually no, he was right about it being latency and not lag

"Lag" is a misnomer when used in this context
>>
>>3300262
Also you really shouldn't rely on the first thing that pops up on Google to base your argument

That's just lazy
>>
Daily reminder that languages constantly evolve and the only real "definition" is common consensus
>>
>>3303294

I was wondering if hooking my Wii up through a CRT monitor would be better than using the component/LCD setup that I have now.

I usually play the Wii in 480p and 16:9 widescreen mode. Then I load up an emulator, and in the emulator settings I set it to 4:3 and get the black bars/ proper looking resolution.
>>
>>3299948
>480p
>HD resolution
>>
>>3303637
>languages constantly evolve
Not true in modern times

Nowadays We forget what the words actually mean and try to reinvent their meaning based on how we currently use them in everyday speech, out of sheer laziness

Now we literally have access to a dictionary with the press of a few buttons, something early languages and cultures couldn't even dream of.
>>
>>3303890

>Nowadays We forget what the words actually mean and try to reinvent their meaning based on how we currently use them in everyday speech, out of sheer laziness

I believe that's how language change works, anon.
>>
>>3303917
My point is that there is no longer a reason for it to change as we now have a record of what the words mean

Before the Information Age, languages would undergo linguistic mutations from having people with different levels of vocabulary mingling and those same people being unable to perfectly and exactly pass on the meaning of every single word of their own language

but now in the Modern Era we can make an exact copy of any text and reproduce it perfectly, Completely eliminating to chance of information corruption or mutation.

TL;DR

People back then didn't have the internet to look up what a word meant, so they just poorly copied how other people did it.

Do you really want to end up like Australia?
>>
>>3303535
>he was right about it being latency and not lag
They're synonyms, and your image even shows this. The context is retro single player games, so it's pretty fucking easy to infer what he's trying to convey, unless you're an autist or a pedant.
>Also you really shouldn't rely on the first thing that pops up on Google to base your argument
For something as simple as the dictionary definition of a word it's perfectly fine.
>>
>>3303935
I bet that makes you feel real gay but it should actually make you feel queer.

Youth always is compelled to do things differently from the older generation including developing their own private lexicon which even more than "slang" jargon involves pervasively and intentionally using different synonymous words than what "old people" use for things. Some of these meanings become popular and widely accepted. People being connected to one another like never before actually makes this natural process much much faster than it's ever been before, not slower regardless of how you think it should be.
>>
>>3304260
It's nice to see someone so vehemently defending their wrong reaction to something someone said. You try pointing out that it's not lantency, then when you're told that it is, you say they're synonyms, it shouldn't even matter. Why even post? God damn
>>
>>3304459
>You try pointing out that it's not lantency
When did I point out that it's not latency?
>>
File: is how developers intended.png (204KB, 783x524px) Image search: [Google]
is how developers intended.png
204KB, 783x524px
>>3303727
Jeez sorry I missed your actual reply in the sea of pedantic bullshit we have in this thread.

Better... Well, better is relative. I'm sure the setup you have right now is bigger than any CRT you would pick up and usually I'd say sharper too but DLPs are also inherently imperfect (focus is never absolutely 100%).

When you emulate, if you switch your Wii back to 480p and send it out over component to a CRT and you set your emulators to 480p and use the native resolution of the actual console you'll get an image that looks like "what the developers intended" as ideal so most people including myself would say that yeah it'll look "better" on a CRT.

I have some detailed images somewhere I took of the same paused screens displaying the exact same 240p signals looping through my PVM to an LCD I could find for you or even take some comparisons with my new 60" plasma for you but I don't have any DLPs. I guess I do have an actual digital projector in the basement but the wiring's not in place to do the same comparison plus it would look pretty shit close up due to the texture of the wall.
>>
>>3304739
really he would be better off not using a DLP, regardless if it gets him the result he's looking for DLPs have a history of not lasting long

The tiny mirrors on a DLP tv, which are constantly being bombarded with heat will eventually cause the tiny motors in each individual motor to fail

Then you're looking at a $200-$300 repair

But yeah, just get a CRT and see how it works for you

Because obviously the average household only had mid to low end CRTs in the 90s and consoles at the time were made with that in mind

But for that to be an effective alternative you would need the original hardware

Now if you'll excuse me I have to argue more about the mutation of language with this other guy
>>
>>3304323
I believe that's because you're looking only at the factors FOR linguistic mutation

The factors AGAINST linguistic mutation are much stronger as well, because there is an inherent desire in all of us that pretty much assures that language doesn't mutate

The desire to be "right" to be "correct", and taking a a bit further the desire to "correct" others, which you can see in this very thread before we started started talking about language itself

When we have the instant access to such a wide array of information there is no excuse to be "wrong". And when we see someone being "wrong" what is our natural response?

If you were to call me gay and queer as a teenager I would have been very pissed off, because as a teenager, or youth as you put it, I would only know that word through how it was used and I could only rely on my very limited knowledge and experience to "know" what that word means.

Now that I'm older, not as much of a dumbass as I was as a teenager, and have access to the internet/dictionary I can look up the word gay and queer and learn all their different meanings and uses.

Now I agree that some words can gain new meanings over time, but that does not mean the original meaning is lost.

The lack of the original meaning, or loss, is what directly contributes to new slang or jargon being created, the other factors are mispronunciation and abbreviation, and rarely due to a whim

Try speaking to us using only Ebonics and you'll see what I'm talking about
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.