[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /vr/ like Nintendo Power? What's your favorite issue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

Does /vr/ like Nintendo Power?
What's your favorite issue or cover?
What memories about it do you have?

>tfw it ended in 2012
>>
I really wish there was a full archive for issues released from 2001-2005.
That's when I would just pour over the magazines night and day, rereading them to no end. I don't have any of them anymore though and I want to relive my childhood.
>>
>>3298379
Also, born in 1993. Not underage.
>>
>>3298279
I had a subscription around the time first gen pokemon and n64 were important...the spines of multiple issues would create an image when stacked, which was cool and encouraged my hoarding
>>
>>3298279
I love the Maniac Mansion cover.
>>
>>3298435
The good ole 3 eye'd Mario.
>>
I remember the issue that had the first shots of the TMNT arcade game for NES, and they were having a contest to win tickets to the movie. This was way before the internet (and like a year before the movie even came out), so nobody knew anything about it. I tried to tell my friends there was a turtle movie and they didn't believe me.
>>
>>3298279
>Does /vr/ like Nintendo Power?
No. American mags were shit. They're just giant advertising pamphlets. Just like american gaming websites today really.
>>
>>3298645
At least Nintendo Power was honest about it. My favorite covers were usually the early Mario ones where they would use resin kits.
>>
>>3298645
is was more about looking at the colorful images and ads, reading about upcoming games and looking at walkthroughs and guides to help you beat hard games. Yes of course NP was a shill mag for Nintendo but it was aimed towards kids who didn't give a shit. Things like the Transformers and TMNT cartoons were made just to sell the toys but yet it was still fun to watch and enjoy because kids are stupid.
>>
>>3298645

Don't be a fucking faggot, dude.
>>
File: 000.jpg (702KB, 1280x1716px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
702KB, 1280x1716px
>>3298279
I tried to dump one on /v/ but it 404'd 'cuz nobody else was bumping it.
>>
There's a website where there are rar archives of the entire Nintendo Power library.

Anyone got a link? It's a rom site I know that much. Just not sure which one.
>>
>>3298825
Pretty sure I saw that on emuparadise, not 100% sure though.

Ahh, NP, my favorite gaming mag besides Next Generation. Got a subscription about a year after I got my NES, I remember the half-issue sample I got of the issue before the Dr. Mario cover. Not the strat guide, but a regular issue. Then I got the 4-player guide, then they dropped the guides and just did the magazine.

Shit was so cash. It started pretty nifty with hand-drawn artwork. Then they started doing the licensed game comics and Zelda was awesome. The quality of the mag remained consistent, with lots of good info and a clean and easy to read layout. The Metroid comic was kinda cool, but it was around that time period that the quality of the mag started to decline.

I stopped considering it great around the 60's to 70's, when they switched over to the 90's EXTREME FUNKY NEON COLORS AND BLACK CAUSE BLACK IS COOL layout and then again downhill for issue 80 when they went from being bound to being stapled together. I stopped subscribing after the 100th issue, since the quality was still shit despite going back to being bound.
>>
Pretty sure this was the only gaming mag I ever subscribed to.

Are gaming mags still even around? I do enjoy expecting something in the mail every now and then. Maybe I should subscribe to some Sonic comics or something.
>>
>>3298380
Yes you are youngster.
>get the fuck off my lawn!
>>
File: DSCN1391.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1391.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Gutted them and made strategy guides.
>>
File: DSCN1392.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1392.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
great idea
>>
>Move
>Have at least 5 years worth of NP mags
>Dad throws them all out in a tizzy

I'm still mad to this day.
>>
>>3299116
Jesus Christ, you must regret that.
>>
>>3298825
Yep. its emuparadise. The also have the first few years of RetroGamer and a whole bunch of other really cool stuff in their magazine and strategy guide section.
>>
>>3299328

Not even close. Why would I regret that?
>>
>>3298380
>Not underage.
Cute.
>>
>>3298279
I miss the issue I had when I was a kid of the very first Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest.
I was content sometimes just to look at the pictures and let my mind wander.
>>
>>3301471
Because the pages were torn from their original binding and now have lost any value as a collectors item.
Though the true value is what it means to you, naturally.
>>
>>3301524

Never seen them as collector items to be honest. However, I see what you're saying. Practically they work better this way and look a better too.
>>
>>3299319
Yeah, I hear that. Had plenty of those, psm and other mags from years ago. Had to move and they got junked. Still hate my nephew for that.
>>
File: Nintendo Power Last Issue Comic.jpg (744KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo Power Last Issue Comic.jpg
744KB, 3264x2448px
>>3298279
>>
I have 5 issues from 98 to 2000. One of the issues has an article talking about WCW Backstage Assault vs WWF No Mercy and tried it's damn best to get pros for the former.
>>
>>3301524
>value as a collectors item

Fuck
Out
Of
Here
>>
>>3299116
I don't think they look better this way. They look too artificial. They lose all the 'magic' they have as the official thing.
>>
I have good memories of the nester startropic comics. Also I remember rhe change of the front page, going with reflective colors. I think it was for mega man x on the front page.
>>
>>3298692
>Those shitty photos

God damn does this bring me back. I miss when magazines were kind of gritty.

My best friend growing up used to subscribe. I never got into it, but as an adult feel like I gyped myself out of a childhood.
>>
>>3298279
I started my subscription with the "Dragon Warrior" sign-up bonus, where you got a copy of Dragon Warrior, with a bonus strategy/guide book, when you subscribed to one year of NP. I maintained a subscription up until around 2000. My favorite times with the magazine were probably when I was working my way through StarTropics for the first time (those hints sure helped!), shopping for new games (NP turned me on to some of my all-time favorites like Metal Storm) and when I played Donkey Kong Country (again, the hints made unlocking the game more enjoyable imo).

I purchased back-issues and had pretty much the entire collection, but they're all gone now. My only regret is that I didn't cut off the spines and scan the whole collection when I had the chance.
>>
>>3303359

It's just nice having all of them in alphabetical order without having to resort to which magazine has which guide. If you saw them in person and the sheer amount (two binders full) you may change your tune.

I also took out all of the posters and am still deciding what I want to do with them all. I was thinking of a huge framed wall collage, but that might take some time to organize since I have so many.
>>
I'm surprised there isn't a full collection to download, least the first half or so got scanned. I guess the later ones where less popular and no one wants to despine them for scanning
>>
File: nintendofunclub.jpg (263KB, 700x910px) Image search: [Google]
nintendofunclub.jpg
263KB, 700x910px
>>3298380
>born in 1993
>Not underage.

This was my first issue of Nintendo's mag, before it became Nintendo Power the next issue

Get lost kiddo.
>>
File: 1412376530404.jpg (377KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
1412376530404.jpg
377KB, 720x576px
>Those few issues where they tried the new magazine design
>Didn't have an actual spine, just a fuckhuge "fold" in the pages with staples
>Shit started to tear apart within a week, ruining your mag
>>
>>3298645
You're a fucking retard.
I learned to play Street Fighter 2 (pre CE) from an issue of Game Pro. It listed every move for all 8 characters, and combos ranging form basic to advanced. 10 year old me studied that like the fucking bible.

Nintendo power could also be used as a basic strategy guide. I had the issue for Mega Man 5 that listed all boss weaknesses and strats, including Wily's fortress.

Granted, mags went to shit, but late 80s - early nineties were a golden age of vidya mags.
>>
>>3306179
He contributed nothing of value, and threw out a /pol///int/ tier comment, it's an obvious troll. Why bother responding?
>>
>>3304787
Yep. They claim they listened to fans who wanted the magazine like that to make it easier to remove the posters without damaging the magazine, but I suspect they were just trying to cut costs. Issue 80 was the start of it and I think they kept it up for at least 12 issues.
>>
>one day mom got angry and tore a magazine in half

forgot which one, it had killer instinct in it or something
>>
File: NP_Simon's_Quest_Dracula.jpg (86KB, 717x595px) Image search: [Google]
NP_Simon's_Quest_Dracula.jpg
86KB, 717x595px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegQI9WM6mk&t=5m25s

That fucking face
>>
>>3301702
>put some blocks for pits
>Nester going casual as he got older
Well, he was always kind of a casual now that I think about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 540x706px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 540x706px
>>3299319

My parents BURNED my NP Guidebooks (super Gameboy, Mario mania, etc) and the Legend of Zelda comics compilation I had with trash when they moved.
I did get the magazines, but I'm still angry about the guides and comics going up in smoke.
>>
>>3303926
/vr/ is such a weird place. You have children that come here and try to act adult and then you also have grown men who come here to act like children and throw tantrums.
>>
>>3301702
Right in the feels every time.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.