[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the hate for All Stars? It unifies the games with a consistent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: SMAS.jpg (34KB, 380x262px) Image search: [Google]
SMAS.jpg
34KB, 380x262px
Why the hate for All Stars?

It unifies the games with a consistent look while retaining all of the same movement mechanics and feel the originals had.
>>
>>3296595
>retaining all of the same movement mechanics and feel the originals had
No, the physics are off.
>>
honestly i just loved it for battle mode on SMB3. would take a flash drive to school with 2 ps3 controllers and play on school computers with friends on lunch.
>>
>>3296595
>retaining all of the same movement mechanics and feel the originals had

No. The physics were imperfect.
>>
>>3296595
The people who hate this compilation are so far and few between that even asking the question in the first place is pretty much conducive

this is exactly like those threads asking why nobody likes DKC2 or some other well-liked game
>>
>>3296889
Every time I've brought it up I get greentexted into oblivion.
>>
SMB2(USA) in All-stars is the definitive version.

The change in physics on 1 and LL is there, but it's very minimal (only when you hit blocks), I don't think it's something that would negatively affect your play unless you're speedrunning maybe.

That said, while I do appreciate the visual overhaul and I think 2 looks great, I still prefer the visuals and sound of the original SMB3.
>>
>>3296868
Wasn't the battle mode on the NES version already? Or is that something else?

I just played this recently and I think its great. I never had a SNES growing up and only played the NES Mario games. These update the graphics, make the games fresh and unique and play really well.

Not only that but a cart with so many games on it was amazing back then.
>>
>>3296918
>but it's very minimal (only when you hit blocks)

"no"
>>
>>3296969
Elaborate.
>>
>>3296595
I think it's an enjoyable collection. The graphics are very nice. Generally I prefer to play the original games but if someone likes this better then I don't find any issue with it.
>>
>>3296926
You could battle in 2-player but only on the map. All-Stars's standalone battle mode is unique to it.

>>3296970
I believe his implication is that "when you jump while running and hit a block, you completely stop and fall straight down instead of continuing to move forward as you descend" is not a minimal change but a radical alteration to the way the game is played.
>>
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/167/

You can patch that one bug now.
>>
all stars being bad is a meme not unlike "ps1 was never called psx by people" or "belt scroller"
it's only actual meaningful flaw is mario sinking into bricks in smb1/2J, which is fixable through a patch now
>>
>>3296918
>The change in physics on 1 and LL is there, but it's very minimal (only when you do something you do constantly)
>>
>>3296868

>ps3
>school

Spot the millenial
>>
>>3297653
The whole board is full of millennials. If you were born in 82 or later, you're one, too.
>>
>>3297653

Just say GenZer. It's the post-millenial generation that most of 4chan userbase belong to.
>>
>>3297653
Idiot. You have no idea what millenial means.
>>
>>3297252
I just installed the patch on the roms that I usually play for SMB All Stars. It does play differently but it's still not exactly the same movement as in SMB for the NES. Not that I really mind it but I just wanted to share this.
>>
>>3297659
>>3297653
you're both idiots and faggots if you use made up corporate media terms for things that don't exist
>>
>>3296595
>Why the hate for All Stars?

What hate? Seems like All-Stars was generally favorably received. The only "controversy" I've ever read about was a few individuals nitpicking over the game's physics, which possibly weren't identical to the games' Famicom counterparts.

By the way, there was a later release that also included Super Mario World on the same cartridge.
>>
>>3296595

Got it for Xmas when I was 12, I loved it.
>>
>>3297772
>By the way, there was a later release that also included Super Mario World on the same cartridge.
I owned that. Loved it.
Fun facts:
- it was only released in Europe and US
- it's one of the three games that were released without a box
>>
>>3296595
>Why the hate for All Stars?

Only the autistic millennial youtubers hate it.
>>
>>3296628

>I-I heard the physics were off from a post on 4chan
>>
Are the SMB3 jumping physics between NTSC and PAL All-Stars the same as the originals on NES? Meaning, PAL has more gravity, making Mario jump lower?
>>
I loved it as a kid and still do. I kinda wish that the lost levels had it's own unique sprites just like the Japanese Mario 2. But is likely my only gripe of an otherwise awesome collection of games.
>>
>>3296889
how the fuck can you dislike dkc2, I can understand disliking dkc3 but dkc2 was solid.

I hate mario allstars, because a superior cart called mario allstars + mario world exists :^)
>>
>>3296595
literally just picked this up for $15, love mario all stars
>>
Played this port specifically the +world edition ever since I can remember and see no problem with each game. Sure there is a difference in physics between this and the NES originals clearly but neither is bad. The only times where it matters is if you are a speed runner where it actually matters. Aside from that I do have to admit growing up with the All Stars version of SMB3 makes the NES version look terrible aesthetically and yes it is entirely nostalgia. But for whatever reason 1 or 2 doesn't.
>>
I really want the +World cart but I'm too chicken to get rid of my separate all stars and world carts from childhood and I'm not monty p moneybags so owning both seems dumb. Too bad it never came out in Japan or I'd import it at the cost of a wet fart
>>
>>3300057
bullshit I had that one but it broke I'm yuropoor though
>>
>>3297949
>Meaning, PAL has more gravity, making Mario jump lower?
Isn't it the other way around?

Or is that World where he jumps higher in the PAL version. Can't remember.
>>
>>3301904
in PAL smb3 nes mario jumps few pixels lower than in the us/jap versions, its so minimal Im surprised someone even noticed it in the first place.
>>
>>3299001
>because a superior cart called mario allstars + mario world exists

Why do you need that one, SMW was included with the SNES console.
>>
>muh block bounce back
/vr/'s autism right there boys. Mario All Stars is a fantastic game and 99.9% of the people who played it back in the day loved it. If you have a problem with the game physics, then you're probably just an emulator kiddie who plays without scan-lines on 8:7, or some stupid shit like that.
>>
/vr/ is autistic and any change is a bad change.
>>
>>3297907
Clearly you never played the original.

The original SMB compared to All-Stars had a slightly higher jump. So the large flower plants that speed runners completely jump over in the first one cannot be accomplished in All Stars instead you will hit the plant and die.

The graphics are better but All-Stars plays slightly slower.
>>
File: 1466206273622.jpg (115KB, 820x429px) Image search: [Google]
1466206273622.jpg
115KB, 820x429px
>>3302037
nice opinion faggot
>>
>>3302694

Most people aren't speedrunners, I legit never noticed the jump difference and I've played Mario on famiclones a lot when I was a kid, and later played All-Stars, felt pretty much the same and I could finish the game without trouble in both original and remake.

I think that's where the difference lie. There are changes to the physics, but I believe the only ones bothered about that would be speedrunners.

It's still a legit complaint though, but I do think most people who say that about All-Stars every time it's brought up is because they read about it, not because they noticed it. At least, I don't believe that many people speedrun games, maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>3302694
>The original SMB compared to All-Stars had a slightly higher jump. So the large flower plants that speed runners completely jump over in the first one cannot be accomplished in All Stars instead you will hit the plant and die.
Thats completely bullshit, reason why it works on NES and not in SNES is because in NES pirhana plants hitbox is extremely tiny, so you can safely jump over the pipe with pirhana in 4-1. In snes version they made the hitbox larger, thus you cannot jump over the pipe with pirhana in 4-1.
>>
>>3296595
One annoying physics bug that can be fixed with a simple hack. Should be www.romhacking.net/hacks/167 but the site is down on my end.
>>
The physics have some kind of lag on all the button inputs. Its not the best port of SMB.
>>
>>3302861
It did that on my Wii classic controller and made the game unplayable. I haven't noticed any lag though on my computer when I started using a usb adapter with an actual snes controller.
>>
>>3302886
Do you know if your TV has input lag? Or is it actually the VC?
>>
>>3302890
Dunno. I just know that when I switched to the snes controller and a pc emulator (Higan) there wasn't any. I also used Snes9x GX on my Wii so it could have also been the frameskip.
>>
SMB2 USA and SMB3 are great but I hate the All-Star versions of SMB1 and Lost Levels. The aesthetics just look ugly and barren with the old games' level design
>>
>>3303013

I think the aesthetics on 1/LL is nice, I like the new backgrounds, although it's the least impressive one compared to the other two, also kind of disappointed that they didn't make the slight graphical changes the original SMB2J has, both use the exact same assets. But all in all I think it looks like a good effort, or at least not ugly.
>>
File: allstars.png (217KB, 1920x1077px) Image search: [Google]
allstars.png
217KB, 1920x1077px
>>3303013
I like the aesthetics
>>
>>3299001
Yea, DKC2 was great. I think he just came up with a hypothetical example.
>>
>>3303037
The backgrounds and ground sprites in SMB1 and Lost Levels always seemed weird to me. When I was a kid it always creeped me out because the atmosphere seemed more sterile and just off.
>>
>>3303106
>(You)
>>
>>3303167
Sorry, I was bored.
I do like the aesthetics though, but not stretched with filters.
>>
>>3302819
There is the block physics bug which is legit bull, but there's a patch for that.
>>
File: smb1wallpaper1600900a.jpg (566KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
smb1wallpaper1600900a.jpg
566KB, 1600x900px
>>3303158

Are you talking about the All-Stars version or original?

I found the original SMB unsettling when I was a kid, I played 3 first, when I played 1 for the first time I thought Mario looked weird, like older and taller than his SMB3 counterpart, and the general tone of the levels were also sterile as you say (lots of bricks, not a lot of green).

Now I enjoy SMB1's own personal look, it has a more industrial feel to it compared to the rest of the games, and that's fine. Mario still looks a bit weird to me though.

The AS version made the game look a lot more similar to other Mario games to me.
>>
>>3303106
>Dat stretch

>Dat filter

>Absolutelydisgusting.png
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.