[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know it's a popular meme and all, but has anyone on here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: contra1.jpg (29KB, 507x445px) Image search: [Google]
contra1.jpg
29KB, 507x445px
I know it's a popular meme and all, but has anyone on here ever actually beaten Contra without using the Konami Code? I've been trying but I'm close to giving up, I honestly don't see how this is possible.
>>
GG faggot
>>
Yes. Practice.
>>
I hate the third person stages, so I'm not one to talk. But supposedly Contra is pretty easy.
>>
I just realized the Konami code basically gives you 10 credits.
>>
>>3292925
> I feel insulted.jpg
>>
>>3292925
god you suck
>>
>>3292925
Doable if you memorize the entire game.
>>
>>3292925
>get rapid fire
>get spreader
>get good
>>
100% honest question: why is /vr/ so terrible at video games?

I beat Contra without cheats when I was 6 years old ffs.
>>
>>3293020
>why is /vr/ so terrible at video games

>op is the only one that is having trouble with the game
>every other post is insisting it's easy
>the majority of the anons on this board have no problem beating the game
>why is /vr/

Think before you speak!
>>
>>3292925 (OP)

It's not that difficult, really. All it takes is a bit of practice. I would never consider myself a great video game player yet I was able to finish both Contra and Super Contra without codes or continues. Same thing goes for 16bit titles. Japanese version of Contra the Hard Corps is especially easy, as you get a life bar.

Most Arcade games are much more difficult than 8bit Contras.
>>
>>3293030
no fuck you, you're all retarded and you know it
>>
>>3293117
You're here too.
>>
>>3293124
but im awesome

you should be thankful you have me fucking plebe
>>
File: 1427853554638.gif (346KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1427853554638.gif
346KB, 500x500px
>>3293129
You silly goose.
>>
>>3293129
Nah.
>>
>>3292925
You have to believe in yourself anon
>>
File: index.jpg (4KB, 321x157px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 321x157px
>>3293498
>>
File: FC_Contra_manual_p06.jpg (73KB, 668x326px) Image search: [Google]
FC_Contra_manual_p06.jpg
73KB, 668x326px
>>3292925
The four steps to beating Contra in one life.
>Get the Spread Gun (S)
>Get the Rapid Bullets (R)
>Don't get hit or fall down a hole
>Shoot at everything until you beat the game.
Now git gud, you casual.
>>
>>3292929

The whole game is third person.
>>
>>3293596
What perspective are the base stages?
>>
>>3293608
You could call them

Behind the back

Or

Forward scrolling

Or even

3D

But anything where you see your dude counts as third person.

>>3292929
I think every Contra gimmick stage is actually pretty fun. Contra is the "just right" level of difficulty where you have to git gud but you don't have to make it a second job or be some kind of savant to beat it.
>>
>>3292925
You pretty much have to keep the spread fire up to the fourth level boss at least. From there, it's just memorization; the later levels aren't particularly hard, they're just hard to memorize if you're playing through without the code.

I recently beat the game after two weeks of trying, so it's definitely doable if you put your mind to it. I'm not particularly skilled either; Contra is probably the first "hard" game I've ever beaten.
>>
>>3292925
>has anyone on here ever actually beaten Contra without using the Konami Code?

When I was 8 or 10. Contra isn't hard insomuch as it requires a degree of rote memorization. Once you get the enemy patterns down, you can breeze through the game without losing any lives. Ditto for Super C. I still have trouble with The Alien Wars and Hard Corps, but probably only because I haven't clocked any serious time into them.
>>
>>3292925
I have. This game is MUCH easier than people make it to be.

The same can't be said of Contra 3 on the hardest difficulty.
>>
>>3292925
The NES version? Yes. On the cart i own.Is this a meme? it's not very hard. You mustn't have played any other NES games or something. Or any of the other contras for that matter. :\
>>
Contra's fun n' all but Super C is way better.
>>
The first step is stop being a fag, then play the fucking video game.
>>
File: a-blz2.jpg (253KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
a-blz2.jpg
253KB, 1200x800px
>>3294737
>The same can't be said of Contra 3 on the hardest difficulty.
Contra III on Hard requires a lot of precise memorization of boss patterns and knowing which weapon is best for which situation. I managed to one-lifed it once a long time ago.

Super Contra (as in the arcade game, not Super C on the NES) on the hardest setting on the other hand, is near impossible.
>>
Yes. Many times.

At my peak, I could do it without even having to use a continue. These days, not so much.
>>
These responses are crazy to me. I've beaten Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Ninja Gaiden, but those games give you infinite continues, at least. Contra strikes me as impossible, but maybe I just wasn't patient enough.
>>
I never played much Contra, but several months ago I decided to clear it. It took some tries, but I got to where I could clear it. And yeah, spread is helpful. It really isn't that hard of a game.
>>
>>3296958
It's mostly memorisation. There's a lot of repeating patterns and set enemy placements that make it fairly easy with practice.
>>
File: Contra.jpg (677KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Contra.jpg
677KB, 2592x1944px
I used to clear the original Contra all the time without the Konami code. Sometimes with only one life. It is all about the spread gun. However that was only solo, I do not recall achieving that with any cousin in co-op play. I consider myself to be a below average to poor game player, so beating the original Contra with under 3 lives is easy.
>>
>>3297019
memorisation my ass. you dont need to memorise this game in order to beat it.
>>
File: Crap_I_Forgot_Gunforce.jpg (728KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Crap_I_Forgot_Gunforce.jpg
728KB, 2592x1944px
I think I mostly react too instead of a purely memorized play. I will admit to a bit of familiarity such that when I see something I have the sense on how to dodge. I think that's why I prefer the smoothness of Contra and Contra 3 (as stated in previous image, I've not played nor had Super C ... or the portable ones). I cannot call it memorization like >>3297019 does, but familiarity and situational recognition.
>>
I beat Contra 3 on hard mode once

it took like a month of trying every morning once or twice for like an hour

I'm gonna be honest it was pretty fucking great
>>
>>3292925
No
>>
Yes, easily.

I was shocked when I got the internet and found out that Contra was considered a difficult game. I've been able to clear that game with little difficulty since I was 8 or 9.
>>
>>3292925
Every single encounter in the game can be beaten without getting hit - so it's theoretically possible to clear the game with just one life, even. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suu3e0-QdJ8

Remember that this is about skill as much as it is about memorization, you need both.

General tips:
>going fast and outrunning enemy bullets rather than dodgin them is usually rewarded, except for couple sections swarming with melee enemies, then take it slow and try to abuse stupid enemy AI;
>memorize exact points where powerups spawn, especially Spread Gun; when you get close to a powerup spawn point, kill all enemies and start slowly inching closer to exact trigger point, prepared to fire, to maximize your chances of getting it;
>generally, when you lose Spread you need pretty different strats, so try to keep Spread gun for as much as you can;
>Order of weapon superiority, from least to most useful, is:
Fire>>default pea shooter>>Lazer>>Machine Gun>>Spread
>Remember that you gain extra lives as you gain points, so don't give up even when you're at the last life;
>Third person sections become a joke when you learn that lying down makes you invulnerable to most attacks except the floor rollers (and you can just mash fire to destroy them when you're prone)
>Note that Lazer can be useful for bosses if you know how to use it, and that if you plan on playing Super C after this, Fire becomes a great weapon, second only to Spread gun.

Suggestion - use Konami Code to practice later stages and bosses (i.e. intentionally die at the end of a stage and repeat it couple time) to make progress faster (since normally you practice early stages more since you see them more often - this will even out your progress).

If you have troubles mashing buttons for extended period of time, use a Turbo controller (if you're emulating, there should be a Turbo option in input settings).

And... that's about it, really. Contra isn't a super deep game.
>>
>>3292925
Contra 1 isn't even all that hard.
Of the well known contra games it's arguable the easiest. Even the other NES game has a bump in difficulty. Part of it is just that the enemies are much simplier and more predictable, even the bosses. The other thing is that it's the game in the series where the spread shot is strongest. Enemies almost never come from behind or at very strange angles past the 2nd stage meaning there are very few openings where they can get through the curtain of fire. Bosses tend to be easier to shot gun and almost all their projectiles are destructable.
>>
Contra 3 was pretty tough on hard mode. I could beat the whole game without using one continue, but it was hard to beat the whole thing without dying once because of that fucking roulette brain boss at the end was such bullshit. I can't remember which one was which, but there were certain ones that you would try to hit that were easy to attack the boss, but there were others that if you did hit them you were pretty much guaranteed to die.
>>
>>3299832
>Note that Lazer can be useful for bosses if you know how to use it
It's literally just a peashooter with turbo that you can only shoot one direction at a time with.
>>
I've gotten better at Hard Corps didn't realized how OP the little robot was. I managed to get to stage 3. That game overall is intense in a good way. I like it more than III.
>>
File: B83iidaIEAASI_R.jpg large.jpg (19KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
B83iidaIEAASI_R.jpg large.jpg
19KB, 480x270px
>>3300861
Fang is pretty OP too in that game. It's only the two humans who suck.
>>
>>3300862
Really? I never play as him but he looks pretty cool. I'll have to give him a try soon.
>>
>>3293586
Don't die is the important bit.

Once you hit snow field, there are points where it is fully impossible to recover and kill things without specials.
>>
File: practice.jpg (80KB, 551x551px) Image search: [Google]
practice.jpg
80KB, 551x551px
>>3293031
Practice? It's a game, practicing a video game has to be one of the saddest things I've ever heard.
>>
>>3302175
What are you? Some kind of normie?
>>
>>3293931
this. just keep spread as long as you can is how i beat it.
>>
>>3302175
'Practice', when said in relation to retro games, just means playing it until you can beat it all the way through within your limited lives and continues.

Actually the only time I'd say 'practice' in relation to single player games is in relation to speedrunning, like practicising for a speedrun before adgq or some shit, or just practicing individual levels before doing the full speed run.
>>
>>3302175
>play game til you die for the first time
>delete rom instead of ever trying it again
good plan
>>
>>3300763
It's like a burst damage weapon, and if you're standing really close, you can really deliver the burst.

It is great for rushing down stuff like the final boss of Hangar or getting quickly through the Hangar's sudden spike traps. It's also pretty great against guys like that giant jumping asshole at the end of Energy Zone, the tanks, and that whatever the fuck thingy that wraps up Snow Field.

You just have to tap it and not fire constantly.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.