[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you collect for any systems, /vr/? Which ones? At the moment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: huge-retro-games-collection-1.jpg (251KB, 1280x931px) Image search: [Google]
huge-retro-games-collection-1.jpg
251KB, 1280x931px
Do you collect for any systems, /vr/? Which ones?

At the moment the only retro consoles I'm building a collection for are PS1 and Atari 2600. I also buy the odd N64 game if it's a fair deal and a game I know I'll have fun with.

I planned to start an NES/SNES collection years ago, and bought a few classics for each just before the massive price inflation started. Unfortunately, now it's too expensive for me to justify.
>>
>>3287758
game gear.
getting all of them is looking to be achievable here soon. also original game boy. they are small and a briefcase fits an entire library just about. but I do have most all the SNES titles that I want some Ill just have to wait for like super turrican 2 oR a few others.
>>
None. I really don't understand the point of collecting, if by collecting you mean to amass literally every game and peripheral ever released for said hardware, regardless of whether or not you have any interest in playing the console's full library.

The only games I physically invest in are those that are reasonably affordable, that I want to play, and that can be easily maintained in working condition. I usually won't bother to invest in real hardware if there are decent emulators available, although fifth generation tends to be plugin-based nonsense whose compatibility leaves something to be desired.
>>
I collect snes, but have been having trouble starting up my collection. I dislike buying off eBay for various reasons, least of which is I can't inspect the game myself and verify its legit, seems too easy nowadays for people to get repros of these old carts to make money. So I've resorted to dealing with my retro collector community and have only recently started running into people I can trust.
>>
File: 1464877853791.jpg (26KB, 275x280px) Image search: [Google]
1464877853791.jpg
26KB, 275x280px
I emulate
>>
>>3287758
I collect for all systems. Even systems I don't own. This really triggers the self entitled here so I like to mention it whenever I can.
>>
>>3287758
I will never understand shelf-collecting. Like, do you think it's cool to have an entire wall covered that can't be used for anything else? It's not even aesthetic, it just looks retarded.

Is this the new "study" or "library"

Why would you ever need that many games. Most of those are probably bad.
>>
>>3288163
That's just stupid.
>>
>>3288163
It's not triggering at all. Doesn't bother me. Just makes me question your intelligence.
>>
>>3287758

N64. my entire library got stolen at uni 6 or 7 years ago. now i have a real job and can afford to buy everything back, so i figured why not? about one month into collecting, almost 50 titles so far, most carts in great condition
>>
I buy games I want to play or try out, from NES and up. I have no desire to own a complete set. If I find a game or console for cheap at a thrift store, I'll usually pick it up.
As a kid all I wanted was to own a bunch of video games, and now I do.
>>
I get triggered hardcore at thrift stores and garage sales when I see video games or consoles beat up, scuffed up, or dirty. So I can't really buy from stores anymore, and am stuck to online sales where I know the item is in pristine condition.
>>
>>3288182
I take the time to clean all my shit so I don't have this problem. Only issue for me is torn labels.
>>
>>3288190
I take the time to clean stuff, but, it's just not the same.
>>
>>3287832
I collect in which I will actually play/like. I dont ever buy sports games.
>>
>>3288170
>>3288171
Top kek kids. I bought my first AES cart because I found it for $5 at a flea market. I continued to pick up more for $5-$50 over the next two years until I finally found a console for $50. Who's stupid?
>>
I'l collect pretty much anything, got all the main Sega and Nintendo home consoles along with a play station and Atari 2600, if I see any other consoles going for a reasonable price I'll pick it up. But the main consoles I collect for are the Megadrive and Game Boy, that said I'm currently focusing on some non /vr/ consoles which are cheap atm.
>>
>>3287839
Building a network of people is the best way to do it. They'll cut you some deals and you might meet some cool people.
At least if you get screwed on ebay with fakes, its usually pretty easy to open a claim with them or paypal and get your money back. Just NEVER tell them you opened the cart.
>>
>>3287758
I have no desire to play most old sports games and shovelware so I have no full set collections.

I do however have all the 3rd gen and up hardware minus master system and tg16. and buy any good games I can find at a decent price spanning all the retro stuff I maybe have 100 games or so.
>>
>>3288163
I do this too.
Then again, I pretty much never pay retail and only buy a game if its a good deal at yard sales/craigslist/flea markets/thrift stores so it's not like beggars can be choosers.
I'd like to know your rationale.
>>
>>3287758
I collect for SNES, GEN and Gameboy mostly.
I also have other consoles but I don't actively buy stuff for it unless it catches my eye, like the occasional oddball Playstation title or SMS guilty pleasure.
>>
>>3287758
Right now I collect for only NES and SNES because they are the only retro systems I own. Might should start collecting for PS1 too since I still have my fat PS2 with the backwards compatibility.
>>
>>3287758
Do you want a fuckton of 2600 stuff?
I need the dosh.

According to my collection app it's worth about 600 bucks, but you can never trust those things....

I can provide pics if you want
>>
>>3290282
So you have a certified landfill ET cart and every other game NIB? Sounds like your "collection app" is blowing smoke up your ass kid.
>>
>>3291058
Yeah, it really isn't work more than $250

Thus, "you can never trust those things"
>>
>>3287758
i guess the only game I actively buy games for is the NES, and nowadays it's not terribly common at all with how the prices are.
I feel like I have most of the Genesis games I want already, and the prices for complete Genesis stuff is absolutely through the roof these days, I got all mine when it was much cheaper.
Sometimes I buy some Super Famicom stuff though, so I guess that counts too.
>>
>>3287758
>tfw my friend went through a collecting phase in 2012-2015 and spent over $300 on those generic clear clamshell cases and "print your own" box labels
>>
>>3288190
I love cleaning new shit that I buy. It's cathartic in a way. It's like a ritual that officially makes the game mine.
>>
>>3289425
Bullshit. Even flea markets and Craigslist have suffered. I find the same prices there as everywhere else. Yard sales are the last bastion of good deals, but for all the time and effort I would spent hunting down shit that way, I'd rather just pay ebay prices.
>>
>>3291783
God I hate those stupid boxes. I thought they were cool until I got my hands on one. I bought a game on ebay that came with one, and the thing sucked. It holds N64 games okay, but everything else rattles out of place super easily. They don't clip in at all.
>>
>>3292121
I do the same thing but it's usually in bulk.

So after I've bought a bunch of games I'll go and do a whole round of goo-gone and case cleaning.

I just won some auctions for all the Assassins Creed and batman arkham games and every single one of them as like 4 stickers on them so that'll be fun.
>>
>>3287758
>collecting ps1
>>
>>3287758
O I see a sneaky lil Dreamcast sneakin about
>>
File: 1458510227542.png (242KB, 388x414px) Image search: [Google]
1458510227542.png
242KB, 388x414px
I used to with major intent, that was before the market got oversaturated with jews and hipsters leading to 60 dollar loose common snes games. Luckily I got pretty much every game I wanted to play before that happened. Enjoying my 6 dollar copy of ALTTP.
>inb4 someone accuses me of being a poorfag baby whining about prices.
Nigga, I have agency.
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 250x187px
>Building my collection
>Don't mind if it's original or not, or even Phys as opposed to digital, but it's preferable
>That rare game with the cult following that I've been looking for suddenly pops up on Ebay, complete with all of it's supplementary material in very good condition
>It's pretty pricy though
>Suddenly get that nagging feeling that the second you buy it a rerelease/remake/HD remaster will be announced either here or in grorious nippon

Anyone else ever get this feel?
>>
i picked up a genesis, 2 controllers, nhl 94 and sonic the hedgehog 2 with original boxes and manuals at a garage sale today for $7. how did i do /vr/?
>>
I used to have a load of games and a load of systems. Just so much junk. I sold it all and now all I have is a SNES and N64 with everdrive carts in my living room. A retro emulator PC with 360 controller hooked up to a CRT TV next to my gaming PC.

I am trying to collect every GB/GBC/GBA title, cart only though. But I have a cupboard with folders to keep the carts out of the way. Have 720~ carts at the moment.

The only other games I buy these days are steam, DS/3DS titles I like.

As you get more mature you start seeing game carts/cases/CDs as nicely coloured bits of plastic which clutter up your house even though the urge to have them is still there.
>>
>I am trying to collect every GB/GBC/GBA title, cart only

that's a pretty tall task m8. best of luck
>>
>>3297254
i would have NEVER thought that Wild Guns would get anything new, remake or otherwise

now it exists and the price of the OG game will never go down

shit, i got an EB cart with no label that i want to sell to someone for half ebay value and they are thinking im trying to rip them off. i don't fucking care about the market, that is why im selling it for 80 instead of 180.

why can't people just fucking be happy im giving them a fucking deal?
>>
>>3298017
this, but kinda

i like only some games, i would NEVER collect all of a fucking systems games. would have totally done it when i was like 7 because everything was new and exciting, but now?

yeah no, 99% of nes games are fucking junk. people like Pat make no sense to me, you aren't going to play any of those games for fun or on a whim, its NES so you fucking need it.

i have about 300 games across about 8-9 different systems. fun shit or shit i played when i was a kid, like megaman 3 that i rented the shit out of.

i don't need all the games because if i can't play them, what is the point? i open all the sealed shit i find, including a sealed dragon warrior 4 back in 2009.

fuck sealed collectors too, they can die in a hole.
>>
>>3287758
>Do you collect for any systems, /vr/? Which ones?
all the ones where the roms are less than 100 mb each.
n64 is my limit. so mostly Nintendo games
>>
>>3298034
Meh, I'm pretty casual about it. Go to carboots most weeks and buy one or 2 off ebay a week. The gameboy was always my favourite console but this is more akin to collecting coins or sports cards. I actually keep them in folders made for sports cards.

Good thing about gameboy is you can pick up the carts for £0.20-£2 easily. The few dozen rare and expensive ones can be had for under £100 but I have managed to find a few in the wild.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.