[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your price limit on buying games? For me, it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: RfhZZ.png (279KB, 470x375px) Image search: [Google]
RfhZZ.png
279KB, 470x375px
What's your price limit on buying games?

For me, it's about $140~. Anything above that I just emulate.
>>
File: ishygddt.png (170KB, 382x346px) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.png
170KB, 382x346px
>paying money for NES games
>paying $140 for an NES game
>>
>>3286465
NES - $15
SNES, N64, if I had one - $25
Genesis - $20
DOS/Win95 - $30
OS/2 , RISC-OS - $90
>>
>>3286465
60$
>>
File: ArinoBat.webm (3MB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
ArinoBat.webm
3MB, 1080x810px
>>3286470
>>
$0ish. Either I'm using a modchip or a flashcart. I need that money for hardware. Do you know what good condition official controllers and power adapters and the like are going for these days?
>>
>>3286465
Here's your (you).
>>
>>3286527
this

i spend my money on controllers and systems and addons, and flashcart the games
>>
$15
thank you flash carts
>>
Are SNES games truly overpriced? Commons prices are kinda whack. I want my budget it be sub $150, but the market for just console is 50. Should I just give up?
>>
>>3286642
Just emulate. You are so late to the game it's not even funny.
>>
>>3286650
I know man. I know. Grew up poor fag and still kinda have that mentality but damn do I like playing and watching the older games. Got a GameCube and trying to fill that collection slowly but I see the library the SNES and god damn do I want
Some of that action.
>>
>>3286465
I will buy the game I want, regardless of price, as long as it's in perfect condition.

I just use PayPal Credit now to pay for expensive games over 6 months with no interest.
>>
>>3286465
¥1000 for three max. Most of what I have I paid ¥100 or less. I've got thousands of games so I can't justify the prices bandwagon collectors pay. I'd rather have my house than make jewbay resellers rich.
>>
File: multicart.png (568KB, 1251x666px) Image search: [Google]
multicart.png
568KB, 1251x666px
>>3286465
About $5 you contrarian re-seller enabling try hard shelf collecting faggot.
>>
I don't have a hard limit but I'm definitely getting more and more conservative in what I'm willing to pay.

Part of it is that my collection is approaching 800 and the stuff I want is just getting more expensive, on top of just general blanket price increases.

I have a lot of what I want. Now I'm just going to buy modern games and some previous gen disc games while they're still cheap and get flash carts for my cart consoles.

I have a Turbo-Grafx-16 and v3 N64 Everdrive in the mail as my first ones. TG-16 just because the games are fucking insanely expensive, and N64 because it was cheaper to buy than the party games I wanted (Mario Party 2/3, Smash Bros, and a few others).
>>
because i remember the good old days 10 to 15 years ago when they were practically giving old games away I'm autistically averse to paying more than 10 bucks for old games. which means i rarely buy any retro games unless it's the 1 in a 100 shot of finding some old grandmaw at a yard sale in the middle of nowhere who never heard of ebay prices that's selling a box of nes shit for 15 bucks. But those days are coming to a close as well.
>>
>>3286642

Buy a SNES and an everdrive. You can get an authentic PCB from stone age gamer for $80, put it inside of a $4 junk sports game case. "Everdrive" labels are $10, if you care about that.

There's only a couple good games that need special chips, and they're not the most retarded priced ones anyways. The kirby games are kind of annoyingly priced at $80 and need special chips, so just emulate those.

If you want a real "collection", then yeah it's way too late for you. N64 and DC are on the upslope but not as retarded yet, and GC/PS2/Xbox are cheap as hell now so just load up on anything you think you might to collect at some point.

If you wait for the youtube/nostalgia wave trends before you start collecting you'll get assrumbled
>>
>>3286527
>>3286539
As someone with an enormous retro hardware collection let me give you one word of warning that keeping up on maintenance and on top of the most current mods can eat up your time like none other. For example I've practically relegated the entirety of my 80s computers to display and emulate them on a hidden Wii connected to a PVM, vintage mouse and mechanical keyboard.
>>
5 bucks in local money which works out to be about tree fiddy
>>
>>3287616
Canadian?
>>
Case by case basis I guess. I tend to only buy stuff I'm going to actually play.

My "fuck it" amount is about $30-40 where that's the amount I'm willing to just throw away on impulse.

Anything more than that I'll have to mull it over unless it's a really good deal.
>>
Something in the range of USD ~$30. That tends to apply to hardware as well. I did pay a bit more for original NES hardware, but decided to turn around and resell it since it would be too much trouble to maintain later down the line. Persistent discoloration is especially irritating.

The only retro console I own at the moment is a PSOne. I just emulate everything else. I rigged an old Linux laptop to my TV, which I use for systems like NES and SNES.

Non-retro hardware I own includes a PS2 slim and a GC. Both were terribly cheap at the time, although I think GC hardware and games have recently started to rise in value. I do have some of the most expensive titles on hand, such as Mario Sunshine and Zelda. Of course, they were much more affordable when I got a hold of my copies.
>>
My only rule when buying games is to pay below current market prices. Before I buy something, I check pricecharting, and if the asking price is below that, I buy it.
>>
>>3286642
depends, ntsc-j is dirt cheap even tho the prices has gone up
>>
>>3287609
That's why I do preventive maintenance on my consoles. Full re-capping, replacement of fuses, new 7805's, new rectifier diodes, etc. Since my target is S-video, I don't need to worry about modding after the initial setup.
>>
>>3287581
>GC/PS2/Xbox are cheap as hell now
PS2 and Xbox are cheap, but popular GC games are reaching SNES levels of fuckery. Want Melee? Prepare to shell out $100. TTYD? $50. Mario Kart? $30.
>>
>>3287680
I'm fine with buying stuff at current value if I feel like it's going to go up. Like I spent whatever the current average on pricecharting for some GCN games because I didn't want to have to pay more in the future.
>>
>>3287714

Oh damn. I guess the last time I looked at melee was about 2 years ago, when it was about $50. I can easily see that one reaching Earthbound levels of retarded, especially as original discs get scratched.
>>
>>3287718
GCN games are already inflated, they might appreciate in value, but current prices are still above what you should be paying for them.
>>3287581
>>3287714
>PS2/Xbox are cheap as hell now so just load up on anything you think you might to collect at some point.
They will stay that way. PS2 might go up a bit, but it's not a good investment, there will never be a "boom", or bubble for them, the way other older systems have had. Xbox is just worthless, might as well throw your money directly into the garbage.
>>
>>3287739

I don't care about investment I care about not having to pay even more later.
>>
>>3287739
>They will stay that way. PS2 might go up a bit, but it's not a good investment, there will never be a "boom", or bubble for them, the way other older systems have had.
What makes you say that? I think as years go by PS2 will become more sought after. SotC is already a $20 game.
>>
>>3286465
my price limit is $35 on any game. anything more is like, fuck it.
>>
>>3287728
It's absurd though, it's one of the most common games on the system, it is in no way scarce.
>>
>>3287757
SotC is $10 game, 15 at best. PS2 games were produced in mass quantities, it was one of the most successful systems, so there's no shortage of supply, no rarity. Most of it is shovelware crap too.
>>
Well I collect CIB SNES, and my most recent purchase was $2000... however I don't really see myself having a limit, I suppose anything more then 3-4k would be my limit, if you could call it that. However, there are zero games id ever be interested in at that price, aside from sealed games (which I have zero interest in) and rare nes games like Flintstones at dinosaur peak, little Samson, etc (which I have a slight interest in acquiring) but even with those games, theyre quite a bit less than 3k..

Also I think with stadium events and Nintendo world championship, that these two games are massively inflated and only idiots would seriously pay upwards of 5 grand for a mediocre sports game (I play all games I get, so yeah)

Ps. Daily reminder that TG16 is a vastly overrated and overhyped console and that the games are genuinely inferior then even megadrive games.. it boggles my mind how people pay upwards of 4grand for magical chase, which for all intents and purposes, just a pretty decent shooting game. Certainly not worth the price it currently commands.
>>
>>3287770
It's an easy $20 where I live. A lot of JRPGs are reaching the $40 mark as well.

The rarity of a game has little effect on the price. That's why less-common Atari 2600 games are still only $3-$5 while SMB/DH on NES has managed to exceed $10. Demand is more of a deciding factor, especially in urban centers with game stores working tirelessly to have a monopoly on the used game market.

Besides, I don't know about you, but I haven't seen a PS2 game at a garage sale in well over a year, and I go out almost every weekend. I think people are buying them up already.
>>
>>3287783
>Well I collect CIB SNES, and my most recent purchase was $2000
You're either insanely rich or absolutely terrible with your money.
>>
>>3287785
>SMB/DH on NES has managed to exceed $10
It was $10 for a couple of weeks, now it's back down to about $6.
>Besides, I don't know about you, but I haven't seen a PS2 game at a garage sale in well over a year, and I go out almost every weekend.
Same, but I see them constantly. Plus pawn shops are practically giving them away where I live.
>>
>>3286465
The most I ever spent on a game is $160 and that was Final Fight Guy and I got my Shantae for $150.
Some people will say it's stupid to spend that much on a game but whatever. I'll use the cash to get another rare game and play it. Then trade that to get another rare game, etc.
The way I look at it, spending a lot on a valuable game isn't so bad because chances are the value isn't going to DROP significantly, if anything it'll rise.
So say you spend $200 on Mega Man X3.
Unlike a lot of other games, that X3 will retain it's value. People will give you $200 for that Mega Man and they aren't gonna stop anytime soon.
So use that extra cash to play more games you want.
Theoretically, if you don't mind rotating games in your collection you can play about anything you'd want if you float yourself for it.
>>
>>3287801
Where do you live?
>>
>>3287805
Wouldn't you like to know.
>>
>>3287813
Yes, I actually would.
>>
>>3287814
Greater Montreal area.
>>
>>3287820
Calgary here. Can I live with you?
>>
>>3287823
Yes, but only if you're a girl or a cute trap.
>>
>>3287793
I bought like 3 games and I actually got a really good deal. Not "rich" but I tend save smartly, and am able to drop a few grand on my hobbies every so often. Not having a girlfriend, or expensive rent, or a car (I take city transit every day) helps free up a lot of extra money for saving and spending on things I enjoy.

Whats any difference from my hobby, collecting games, as anyone else who collects? Guns, video arcade cabs, pinball, those things are all tons more expensive then my hobby.

Unless your bar for what is "rich" is just really low, you can easily afford the time and money into your hobbies.
>>
>>3287827
If only.
>>
>>3287694
You don't have drive emulators installed? Also you say "full recapping/available component replacement for all consoles" like it's trivial.
>>
>>3287804

For me, a rotating collection defeats the purpose. The whole point of a collection to me (physical, flashcart, or rom) is that I can decide to play any of the 100+ GOAT games I own at the drop of a hat.

Being able to play through Super Metroid once on fully original hardware doesn't do it for me, it's the fact that any time I want to play it myself or impress a little cousin etc I can just reach onto my shelf and pull it out.
>>
>>3288148
>100+ games

No one would EVER play that many games. Once you have a shelf with THAT MANY games it's just hoarding and I bet those games sit there unplayed 99% of the time.
>>
>>3286465
Depends on the console. I'll shell some serious bucks for Saturn or Dreamcast, but everything else $50 is probably my limit. The rest I'll just emulate.
>>
>>3288157

Do you know where you are? I'm pretty sure my collection of 100 ish physical games probably isn't even in the top 20% of /vr/ posters.

I mean it works out to less than one game every two months if you've been playing since 1996. The only difference really is that I never sold my games.

I have played every one of my games, and beaten most of them. I already explained it to you: the value to me is that I CAN choose to play any of them at any time.

Sounds like you're just some impatient poorfag fuck who sold his SNES and N64 games so he could buy a PS2/Xbox and is now kicking himself because people who made good decisions in life priced you out of the market.

>feels good man
>>
>>3288157
Maybe you would never play 100 games in your 13 year lifetime. Other people would. I probably even played 100 games by the time I was your age and the NES wasn't even released then.
You have to be very young and poor to think 100 games is hoarding. That's not even the entire must play library for the SNES. Hoarding is when you know an Aeon plastic stackable drawer holds 220 GB carts in cases because you have a stack of 6 of them like I do.
Stay mad little bitch.
>>
>>3287836
Nope, the only console I have with a disc drive is the PS1, and replacements for those are dirt cheap so I see no reason to invest in a drive emulator. And the full recapping is trivial, just somewhat time consuming if you know how to solder. And if you are planning on modding/maintaining retro consoles you should know how to solder and learn if you don't.

Now newer consoles like PS1 full of SMD components, fuck that noise.
>>
>>3286829
>tfw we're living in the golden age of bootleg famicom carts
>>
>>3288920
>tfw the golden age of bootleg famicom carts was before you were born
>>
>>3288157
>tfw last year I beat like 70 games

That was -with- college.

Considering I have like 800+ games to get through, that's barely a dent in it.
>>
So I have over 900 GB/GBC/GBA games, cart only. I really enjoy collecting them, going for a complete set. I buy them at car boots, garage sales, retro stores, ebay, trades, etc. So I understand the desire to collect retro games 100%.

That said I paid £110 for an absolute mint condition SNES. They played it Christmas day 20 odd years ago and it stayed in the loft since then. Then I paid £70 for a brand new everdrive and put every single game on it. The games I want simply cost too much, I've got the real hardware in my living room on a decent crt screen, plays great, feels just like I did when I was a kid but I have not spent £5000 on the games I want.

Even though I collect gameboy games I have only seen a few dozen snes carts at garage sale prices in the last 2 years. Hell I can't even buy Earthbound for PAL so I'd have to pay £35 for a repro anyway.

While it would be cool and nostalgic to own the original cartridges for the games I'd want to play, it's not £5000 cool. I'd rather spend my money on good quality systems and new games.
>>
I don't bother if it's more expensive than it was when it originally came out.
>>
>>3287804
>Theoretically, if you don't mind rotating games in your collection you can play about anything you'd want if you float yourself for it.
This is the best comment made in this entire thread. I've bought several £100~ games, mostly RPGs, played them a few times over several months and then resold them. The worst I've done is lose £10 or so on the value and shipping and other I made a bit more back. Think of it as a really high deposit that makes sure you take good care of awesome but rare games.
>>
>>3289813
Doesn't that make you an evil reeeeeee seller?
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.