[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Minimum tooling for a Saturn project in 1996 That'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: file-page1.png (175KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
file-page1.png
175KB, 2550x3300px
>Minimum tooling for a Saturn project in 1996
That'll be $30,575 + handling + tips
>>
>>3283720
damn
>>
>tips
>>
>>3283720
Shit, no wonder they were touchy about which games to release.
>>
>>3283720
>Minimum
>tooling
Yeah, whatever champ. Interesting document none the less.
>>
File: sophiasetup.jpg (172KB, 1482x636px) Image search: [Google]
sophiasetup.jpg
172KB, 1482x636px
>>3283970
fight me bitch
>>
>>3284403
So, what do you do with this other than let it sit on your shelf and rot?
>>
File: 1464833195548.gif (483KB, 145x150px) Image search: [Google]
1464833195548.gif
483KB, 145x150px
>5 CD-Rs
>$75
>>
>>3284426
It's not mine. You're right that it's 100% useless tho. If you're extremely lucky you might get a proto left in the devkit.
>>
>>3284441
Aha, quick everyone buy one up, we might find a proto of Virtua Fighter 3 or Sonic the fighters!
>>
File: SGI_Onyx.jpg (113KB, 350x450px) Image search: [Google]
SGI_Onyx.jpg
113KB, 350x450px
>So you want to develop N64 games in 1995? That'll be $250 000 + tip
>>
>>3284403
I'll fight you with a picture of Mike Tyson I downloaded from the internet.
>>
>>3284482
At least you still had a cool SGI Unix workstation to do other stuff with.
>>
>>3283720
Minimum tooling for a PC game in 2016 is $0.
>Cryengine 5 free as freedom for developing,packing and selling games
>source code for it in on github is open and use it as you wish,fork it,mod it,its on you for free
>Blender is free
>Gimp is free
And people still cant come up with games that sell that are not from big studios.
Marketing plain and simple is the driving force for any product.
>>
>>3284587
Why do you think Taylor Swift is a shade richer than some artist who actually has talent?
>>
>>3284590
Her vocal range is actually pretty impressive.
>>
>>3284587
Most of the indie games out there are shovelware to half baked at best though.
>>
>>3284482
Was their dev kits really 250K? Shit man.
>>
>>3284587
That's because video game development requires discipline and a large amount of talent. Something most people these days don't have. Some have a good head on their shoulder, but dont have the team or skill to pull it off.
>>
>>3283720
>tooling
This is a 18+ board.
>>3283935
Make that money back near instantly.
>>3284428
Not stock CDRs, champ.
Dank reaction image.
>>3284441
>tho
Consider an heroing.
>>
File: cuckcast.jpg (90KB, 800x595px) Image search: [Google]
cuckcast.jpg
90KB, 800x595px
>>3284656
You have zero reason to be this aggressive in this thread. Also why does the word tooling make you lose your shit?
>>
>>3284635
Well the thing is there weren't any dev kits at the time. The closest thing was ultra expensive SGI workstations since the N64 hardware was also designed by SGI.
>>
>>3284656
Saturn CD-Rs are better quality/more durable than off-the-shelf CD-Rs of the time, I assume? I have one such CD-R with a game on it, and the three Sega Mega CD-Rs that I have all seem clean and rot-free despite being well over 20 years old.
>>
>>3284683
I was a dev for the Jaguar 64, and I'm still very bitter.
Have you played my game, Cybermorph?
>>
>>3284606
Bullshit,there are a lot of scammy type of behavior(kickstarters ect.) or developer expecting to do much/too little to achieve through their game while making compromises by adding features big studios have thinking it will help with their game sales and it usually backfires hard.
This is all interrelated with people not knowing what they want to play and usually just grab the biggest titles on the shelves that we see billboards of on the streets.
>>3284638
Its very time consuming.There is lot ground to cover while working and when small studios get tangled in development means they will either make a shot game with lots of things to do in it or long game with minimum content.
Also the large platforms for selling games online like Steam,Gog and the rest like to work with publishers directly(greenlight is just virtual bargain bin for games like the one at your convenience store nothing more plus developers need to pay for a slot to get in and dont get anything in return in term of promotion).
Now when we see that actually EA,Activision and the rest have bigger budgets for marketing than development its because they realized people will play the game once or twice and then put it on a shelf when it will gather dust until the next sequel,so we better take as much money as we can at the start.
Putting a lot of work these days doesn't equal paycheck.Thats the world big companies created and they love it.Great from them but its bad for everyone else.
>>
>>3284707
Name 5 indie games that weren't blatant ripoffs of some flash games or some other game.

Indie shit comes in 3 flavors.

You got your generic RPG maker trash.
You got your tryhard platformer garbage.
Any my personal favorite, pretentious hipster trash with some deep meaning.
>>
>>3284704
provide proof and name
>>
>>3284737
>Braid
>Machinarium
>Dust: An Elysian Tail
>Cave Story
>VVVVVV
All solid titles.
>>
>>3284757
>Indie shit comes in 3 flavors.
Thanks for proving my point.
>Cave Story

I see /v/ is leaking.
>>
>>3284737
Dwarf Fortress
La-Mulana
FTL: Faster Than Light
Hotline Miami
Rocket League

I'm also pretty hype about Cuphead.
>all games that share a common label have to be shit just because
Don't be that guy, even a lot of retro games were technically indie, it's just that cringy label wasn't used back then.

Alas, RETRO GAMES SATURN DEVKITS
>>
>>3284759
You are mixing up genre and influence with and I quote "blatant ripoffs".
get your terms straight.
If you thing they are ripoffs of some games list me what game uses game mechanic as Braid.
Are you saying that machinariun is a ripoff as all other published point and click adventure games made in the past 20 years?
It is made originaly n flash and published as suck its not copy of anything.
Also what is a ripoff in Dust?
Name another hack and slash side scroller with furry theme.I can wait
>>
>>3284779
>in flash and published as such.*
>>
>>3284759
>I see /v/ is leaking
You should go back there.
>>
>>3284738
>>3284704
Seconding. Proof or it's bullshit.
>>
>>3284403
>>3284482
>>3284683
Please, more retro dev stations. I am erect.
>>
>>3284779
>Name another hack and slash side scroller with furry theme.I can wait
I'm sure furtopia has many flash games.
>>
>>3284790
Fine name one that Dust is ripping off.
>>
>>3284791
You're asking me to lurk a fur site for a generic flash game?
>>
>>3284794
Again you are stating a FACT that the game is a rip off,I just demand to see that fact/game that it ripped off.
But you are the one here talking bullshit and parroting shit from /v/ not me.
>everything that carried is developed by studios on their own is now considered shit because some people used the term indie
wew
Im out
>>
>>3284797
Yes, you're correct. Dust or w/e it's called is clearly the only furry game ever to be created.
>wew
Well that certainly explains things. Underage straight from /v/.
>>
File: rOjNvMH.gif (403KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
rOjNvMH.gif
403KB, 640x360px
>>3283720
>tips

Wasn't one tip enough, you have to tip the guy again? WHAT?
>>
>>3284704
WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO CODE?
>>
>>3284704
Were you inspired by Starfox to make that game? If so, why did you copy it so badly?
>>
>>3284704
Do you hate the angry video game nerd? Also, 2 32 bit processors doesn't equal 64 bits so you were working on a lie.
>>
>>3284804
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>3284603
Lol what a faggot
>>
>>3284830
>2 32 bit processors doesn't equal 64 bits
The Neo-Geo claimed to be 24 bit for a while. 16 bit 68000 + 8 bit Z-80 = 24 bit to some wacky advertising person.
>>
File: Doctor_V64_Attached_Left.jpg (77KB, 1010x899px) Image search: [Google]
Doctor_V64_Attached_Left.jpg
77KB, 1010x899px
>>3284482
And a year later less than $500.
>>
>>3285297
The funny thing is that the Genesis has exactly the same CPU configuration as the Neo-Geo.
>>
>>3283720
The 30k programming box was the early devkit from 1994.

They switched to Cartdev very fast, which was way cheaper. You only needed that plus the Virtual CD interface.

Debugging was a bitch though. That was the main problem, as well as the default dev kits having crap libraries, and most of the industry having no clue how to write a 3d engine (console games were port jobs, that mostly relied on whatever 3d functions the devkits had).
And by the time they added more impressive stuff in the devkits, nobody was making any Saturn games in the west. Maybe one game was released that used the latest in-house libraries, Burning Rangers.
But there were a handful of other games that independently did similar impressive stuff, like Sonic R or all the Lobotomy FPS titles.
>>
>>3284403
Does Retro from assemblergames knows that you are using his un-watermarked pictures without permission?

You are in for a world of autistic hoarder rage.
>>
>>3284656
>>3284697
>Saturn CD-Rs are better quality/more durable than off-the-shelf CD-Rs of the time, I assume?

No they aren't. They are off the shelf discs, rebranded.

You are merely forgetting to put those things into context. Which is:
- This is 1996. CDs have 2-3 times the space of an average PC, CD drives for a PC alone are very expensive, and sometimes need their own controller cards - either because the drives used a proprietary connection, or used SCSI, or you simply had no ATA channel on your machine.

- CDRs are high-tech expensive stuff, not something that is manufactured for the masses. This meant that they used more expensive materials to make them, and to keep them chemically stable. The discs become shittier only in the late 90s/early 00s when burners became common, had to achieve ridiculously high speeds (fast enough to shatter discs), and CDR prices dropped to pennies.

Basically they were off the shelf parts, but they were off the shelf professional or enterprise grade parts - because they have yet to proliferate down to consumer grade tech.
>>
>>3284830
>Also, 2 32 bit processors doesn't equal 64 bits so you were working on a lie.

Early Japanese ads called the Saturn a 2x32 = 64bit machine.
>>
>>3285297
The 68k is a 32 bit processor with a 24 bit address space and a 16 bit external bus. Anyone who has ever coded for it knows and accepts this.
>>
>>3283720
And? That's pretty much pennies compared to the total cost of developing a marketable console game. You're not talking 1 man projects at that point, you're lookingat teams of dozens of programmers/artists/musicians/writers/etc..., licensing fees for various technologies, a building to work out of, manufacturing and distribution fees, etc...
>>
File: maxresdefault6565.jpg (141KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault6565.jpg
141KB, 1920x1080px
PC Engine Dev Kit
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.