[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck are people paying for this? It's just a bo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 5

Why the fuck are people paying for this? It's just a book full of screenshots...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/nintendo-entertainment-system-famicom-a-visual-com/description
>>
It's your typical coffee table book. Not very interesting I'm afraid.
>>
>>3281191
people just love oversized books with brigt colorful glossy images
>>
>>3281191
What's with the description in the pic? I don't recall being able to fly a fully-armed helicopter in Mario 2.
>>
People pay money for all sorts of stupid shit, then recoil in horror at paying to actually support their artists if they can get it for free.
>>
File: nesBOOK.jpg (119KB, 1073x730px) Image search: [Google]
nesBOOK.jpg
119KB, 1073x730px
>>3281191
>goal 36k
>reached 178k

if they needed 36k to print the book with metallic inks and gatefolds etc, what the fuck do they do with the other $140,000?
jesus
>>
>>3281191
>Why the fuck are people paying for this?
Hipsters.

Also, does any else think it's kinda strange to look at pixel art on paper? It just doesn't look right to me.

>>3281229
I know you're probably ragging on about vidya pirates, but people like this sort of stuff because of the way it's package. The content is unnecessary.
>>
>>3281191
Hipster retro collectors who love to talk about how much they love retro games but don't actually play them.
>>
>>3281191
says the guy who buys physical carts L O L
>>
>>3281243
this, it's for people who don't actually like videogames

it isn't going to make sense to us so don't bother
>>
>>3281231
>if they needed 36k to print the book with metallic inks and gatefolds etc, what the fuck do they do with the other $140,000?

are you dumb m8?
the money they earn is payment for their product.
thats not a free 140,000$, they have to send products out the the people who donated X amount
>>
Seems like a pretty cool coffee table book. I'm not sure what the cause of OP's anger or surprise is.
>>
>>3281191
>why the fuck are hipsters stupid
No one knows. They just are.
>>
I kind of want to buy a copy of the Zelda book the Legends of Localization guy made.
>>
>>3281191
>a fool and his money
>>
Just put your NES game manuals on the coffee table instead.
Then again, how much coffee do these people drink they need a table for it?
>>
>someone had a good idea and made money out of it
>waaaaaa it's not fair!
>>
I'm going to start an etsy page where I sell framed sepia photos of old games playing on a CRT with little gold title placards on them. For example, a photo of X walking on the highway during the MMX ending sequence would be titled "Mission's End, Dawn of a New Day," a photo of Mario flying in an SMB3 World 5 sky level would be called "Ever Upward," and a photo of Mario sleeping in the SMB2 credits would be called "Pixel Dreams of the Weary Warrior."

Should I do it? Please like comment subscribe.
>>
I have the SFC Art collection from Bitmap books and the Megadrive Collected Works from Read Only Memory.

Both are very lovely. Don't understand the hate.
>>
>>3282527
Gonna second this. I just brought Artcade. Fucking top draw.
>>
So...I supported this kickstarter. It looks cool.
>>
>>3282472
>someone had a shitty idea and made money out of hipsters
>waaaaaa it's not fair!
Lets leave the debate about how hipster get their money to /pol/ but yes, by nearly any definition it's not fair. And the scum who feeds on them is even worse.
Not sure if your just stirring shit or are retarded. Enlighten me.
>>
>>3282558

What happened to you to make you act in such a manner?
>>
Nintendo gets butthurt about videos containing their game content, so how the fuck are all these books coming out (like Pat's) with shit like a fake Seal of Quality? Somethings being infringed here, how the fuck is Nintendo not getting a cut of that mega man money?
>>
>>3282571
Perhaps Nintendo take a lax view. The NES and SNES are old enough that any infringement is hardly stealing revenue from them.

They might even like the free brand advertising.
>>
>>3282562
I was born a few decades before you and don't have a vag for a brain. Don't expect a vag brain to understand.
>>
>>3282579
Do you not know about Virtual Console?
Are you forgetting how often they dust off an old game and re-release it physically (typically on handhelds)?
Nintendo makes money off of anything they can whenever they can, homie.
>>
>>3282593
Yeah but thats my point. Someone might buy that book and think "oh, i wanna play that game", so they go and download it from Nintendo's virtual console. It's free advertising for them.
>>
What a typical shitstorm retro hipster item. If you want to collect game art, look for original released flyers and posters.
>>
>>3282590
You sound very bitter.

I was born in the '70s and I'm almost 40 now. I'm married with kids. My wife and I both love video games and, between us, we have a treasure trove of retro consoles amd games going back to our childhoods.

But our style of decor in our household is refined and eloquent. We can't have tons of old school consoles lying around our fucking living area without it looking like a frat boy's bedroom.

But we CAN show our love for vidya by having classy looking coffee table books on our bookcase.

Fuck me, right?
>>
>>3281191
and why the fuck not. millenials already have no idea what famicom is
>>
>>3282571
I remember Sega got pretty butthurt when some guy was giving out manuals of how to find old Dreamcasts and Dreamcast games.
>>
>>3281453
>have to

No they don't. Kickstarter is a donation system. They could say "fuck you" and run off with the money if they wanted.
>>
If you are a doctor this book looks like the kind of stuff we have in waiting rooms in my country.
Just that instead of being "Mountain Scenerey 123456" it is about a videogame.
Dont understand the outrage, I think it makes sense commercially.
>>
>>3282608
>what are cupboards
>>
>>3282679
>>3282608
or you could even have one of those classy glass cupboards and have your retro vidya sitting there looking nice just like people have all kinds of old stuff in their homes, old gramophones, radios, cameras, tennis rackets... I've seen all kinds of weird shit exposed nicely in people's homes. If you're ashamed of your hobbies you're an immature cuck and your wife is probably riding some black bull while you type.
>>
>>3282682
Did you miss the part where I said my wife loves gaming too?

Our interior decor has a classy, minimalist aesthetic. We're just mental like that.
>>
>>3282682
>A guy mentions he's married.
>Immediate cuckold meme

The obsession with cuckolding is downright bizarre.

Although, it's pretty apparent that most of the young men on these boards are more fascinated with dicks rather than pussy. What's that all about, hmm?
>>
I don't get the hate. Bitter jealousy or unfounded anger? It's just a book m8
>>
>>3281191
any scans yet?
>>
This is proof that american education does not teach kids about reality or how to work with it.

>Adults make millions off of toilet, sex, and racist humor.
>You can make money selling children's books to adults
>Cheating and lieing gets you places
>>
>>3282865
USA has became Brazil?
>>
>>3282969
wat
>>
it's for "hipster cred". those of us who actually grew up on these games wouldn't understand.
>>
>>3282985
Us retro gamers am I right?

It's a book, calm down.
>>
>>3282993
I'm not mad at all. I just think that's the psychology behind things like this. it's a form of conspicuous consumption.
>>
>>3281231
Honestly that minimalist cover is pretty appealing.
>>
>>3282558
there's nothing unfair about it, it's economics.
>>
>>3282859

I think it comes down to people viewing it as a poser book, something bought by people who are trying to show off how much of an enlightened retrogamer they are, kinda like wearing an NES controller belt buckle despite being born in the year 2000 and having your first old game exposure come by way of GameGrumps. Another point of contention could be the fact that the people who make this book are wholesale using the original game's pixel art and stage layout as the main draw for profit while contributing little in terms of new artistic value to said works. About all they are contributing to the "screenshots" would be the composition, I guess, but even that looks like it'd be largely dictated by the original game's layout.
>>
>>3283046
It's like manipulating old people to buy jewellary like on that South Park episode. It's a hustle on people who don't know any better.

Say "it's economics" has nothing to do with whether something is fair or not. Being economics just means that it's legal, not that there's anything fair about it.
>>
The page composition and overall aesthetic looks nice, I could see having this as a coffee table book, it's an appealing product if you were nostalgic for NES games.
>>
>>3282513
Actually you would probably make some sales depending on the price. No joke.
>>
>>3283167
is it really a hustle?

if there's a demand for a coffee table book advertising "retro cred", then those who supply it will profit from it. it's not like you're claiming the product is different or better than it actually is, or taking advantage of their lack of knowledge of the marketplace (overcharging). conspicuous consumption to show off being into retro games might seem ridiculous, but if people want to spend money on that, then I don't think the sellers who meet that demand are necessarily doing anything unfair or questionable.
>>
A friend of mine bought a book called "1000 games you should play before dying" or something.

I was kinda glad to see it had many games I do love pretty much, like Mother 3 and Astro Boy: Omega Factor for GBA, and of course all the classics you'd expect, mixed in with some modern shit that I'm not too sure if I'd ever want to play, but whatever. Still cool that a book that mentions a lot of good games is on a book that any normie can buy at the regular bookstore. It does have a bit of culture in it, not a lot and nothing you can't google yourself but whatever. I wouldn't buy it.
It had some pages which were, like this book, full pages of pixelated art taken from the games. It didn't drove me crazy though. For a book I'd rather have good quality art, boxarts, concept stuff, I'd be all over that. Art books, basically.
>>
>>3283225
What are you on about, those 1,000 before you die books are informative, well researched and with a point to them. I looked through the games one in a bookstore and it was good. How are these like that?
>>
>>3282562
Hipsters and underage invaded.
>>
>>3281240
It looks weird on paper because it isn't glowing, like a screen would. So the colors are off.
>>
>>3281191
Because its Nintendo
>>
>>3282472
let's unpack this.

someone can definitely make a book of NES screenshots and sell it to morons. but at what point is it a "good idea"? when it's profitable?

if the creator makes a crappy product with no design sense and uses the nearest on-demand print shop they can find (ie Pat the NES Punk's book), is that a good idea yet?

if someone like the OP link can polish the turd and use some modern design flair around the book of screenshots, is it a better idea?

in truth they are both cheap shitty ideas and anyone who sees value in a photo album of emulator screenshots is a retard.
>>
So... they have permission from nintendo to do this?
>>
>>3285008
nope theyre gonna take everyone's money, then say 'oops sorry we got sued by nintendo we used all your money for litigation, sorry!
:^)
>>
>>3285008
No.
>>
>>3282852
Also consider their obsessive fear that every woman is actually a man.
>>
>>3281224
looks like they just copied the text from this pic
>>
>>3285008
Doubt it and I'm not sure if Nintendo cares either. A lot of people are selling outright bootlegs as "repros" and I haven't heard of any getting shut down.
>>
>>3283263
I sooner take the word of a non body on the internet over an over blown ego novelist. That is like unironically using vidya review sites to determine the quality of a game. Writers are not gamers. Regular people that actually play games worth more in opinions than them.
>>
>>3285372
>Writers are not gamers. Regular people that actually play games worth more in opinions than them.

Quite often these kickstarter campaigns are a labour of love from fans.

The Megadrive Collected Works from Read Only Memory is a beautiful book, well researched and enlightening - even to an old fag like me who thought he knew everything.

Not all coffee table books are cynical cash-ins. Although I haven't seen much to defend this particular one.
>>
How do they upscale the pixel art to print quality standard? do they rebuild the screenshots?
>>
>>3281191
You had the answer in the first two or three posts, OP.
>>3281218
>>3281219
and
>>3281229
>>
>>3281191
The only wroth was that featuring Old/obscure Japanese Devs interviews.
>>
>>3285579
You just stretch it up on photoshop, no rocket science there.
Just change it to nearest neighbor.
>>
It's not even legal.
>>
>>3281231
This actually looks pretty nice. I have several large print books like this. It's just a neat thing to have honestly.
>>
>>3282656
In case like this, legal action COULD be taken, actually. It is order of a product, after all.
>>
Most people are not good with money. It's the reason why when people win big on the lottery they tend to lose their entire fortune very fast.
>>
File: wallpaper_castlevania_800.jpg (135KB, 800x581px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper_castlevania_800.jpg
135KB, 800x581px
>>3281191
Hipsters. Nerd culture is now trendy, so hipsters like to pretend they're nerds, but the 'cool' and 'classy' kind. Of course, "classy" nerds don't exist, so a new kind of merchandise has to be created to appeal to people trying to pretend to be a thing that doesn't exist.

I mean, if this was something like pic related, I'd understand it.

For example, who do you think buys LootCrate and other such stuff? Real nerds (I'm not touting this in any sense of pride, most nerds are unwashed douchebags) wouldn't buy a box of random trash, because they wouldn't be sure if stuff from works/fandoms they are in will be there, and if there won't be accidentally something they dislike.
E.g. - one box of LootCrate bough couple hundred thousands orders of first issue of Orphan Black tie-in comic from LootCrate. Why? Comic nerds weren't interested in the comic, rightfully assuming it's going to be generic cash-in. So why? Because hipsters pretending to be nerds, target demographic of LootCrate, watched Orphan Black, because it's a popular show. So hipsters get a comic they can put on their "comic shelf", which is really a corner of a bookshelf, with omnibus of Watchmen they bought when the movie was coming out, and some random shit they have gotten during Free Comic Book Day.

Same principle, just with retro games.
So you can posses something you can point at, some possessions that will grant you entry into being a nerd. Which is stupid, because why the fuck would you want to be a nerd. They're terrible.
>>
>>3281224
>I don't recall being able to fly a fully-armed helicopter in Mario 2.

You didn't find the chopper in world 8?
>>
File: 1463840760675.jpg (501KB, 1056x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1463840760675.jpg
501KB, 1056x1080px
>>3286078
>You didn't find the chopper in world 8?
>>
For fuck's sake.

At first I thought it was just some retarded meme I was kept out of the loop of.

But it really does seem that this place is populated by hipsters calling other people hipsters - completely fucking oblivious to the fact that THEY are the hipsters.

Not a hint of irony or saracsm. It is fucking fascinating to watch.
>>
>>3281224
It's a placeholder. Don't ask me why they just didn't use Lorem Ipsum, since preview of page on FDS does have lorem ipsum as placeholder text.
>>
>>3286054

Yeah, I think some of these neo-nerds feel ashamed to buy cheap or kiddy things, so they need to have it classed up. Back in the day, if a nerdy kid liked some game art, he'd print it out and tack it on the wall, or hang up some Nintendo Power poster. This, however, is classier and more expensive and somehow more "acceptable." A good part of the market are the same people targeted by the Analogue NT.
>>
>>3286123
You miss the point.

I don't give half a smidgen of a fuck about people who join the hobby late, I am actually happy about these cases. Every single person who has bough Mega Man Legacy Collection because it was in their discovery queue after they bought Shovel Knight (which they bought because of pewdiepie or something stupid like that)? Great! Amazing! Welcome aboard, yes, even if you use savestates every five seconds and SuperEagle for upscale filtering, I don't care.

But I'm afraid this is not the case of banking on genuine interest. This is hipsterbait, and I mean it to describe a kind of person - this anti-subculture of cultivated pretentiousness, rather than simply attitude.

I mean, I assume SOME people who played NES as kids are in position where one wants a coffee table book so it might as well be on stuff they loved as kids, and some people who are genuinely interested, but a coffee table book about NES games is just... such a hipster thing.
It's a coffee table book, it's not to be read. It's to show others you have it.

Genuine interest and nostalgic middle class people needing new coffee table book wouldn't generate fucking 130 thousands POUNDS - note even dollars, fucking british pounds, that's 180K$. No fucking way they'd get it on retro enthusiasts alone.

It's about exaggerating your 'nerdy' interests to appear more 'quirky', to pretend to have 'hidden depths' - you know, someone points at the book, and says "Oh wow, old Nintendo stuff? I didn't know you were into this kind of thing?" And you smile smugly, and start bullshitting, and this person thinks you are more interesting person than you really are. You use possessions around you to try to fill a void in your soul, with pretty pictures and generalized factoids about each game, and perhaps a quotable line from one of the interviews.

That, that is what pisses me off about this whole ordeal.
>>
>>3281453
>they have to send products out the the people who donated X amount

Right, or the Kickstarter Police get them, everyone knows that.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.