[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moment where you realized you've played through much or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

File: pcsxr 2013-01-29 05-57-42-48.png (281KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pcsxr 2013-01-29 05-57-42-48.png
281KB, 640x480px
Moment where you realized you've played through much or even most of the game "wrong".

I was still mostly spamming GFs and had little clue how to even use the Junction system in FFVIII until sometime after I got the Ragnarok in Disc 3.
>>
>>3280123
Yeah that happened to me too when I played FF8. Then I got to that one fight where you can't use your GFs or you'll kill what's her name that's fused with that evil lady. And I was like "shit, I am in no way prepared for this."
>>
I think right around disc 3 was when I realized playing FF8 at all was wrong.
>>
I've played Final Fantasy VII 20 times.
I've played Final Fantasy IX 10 times.
I've played Final Fantasy VIII 1 times.

Why do you think this is?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (429KB, 1152x370px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
429KB, 1152x370px
>>3280123

You're still playing it wrong, it's all about triple triad
>>
Lunatic pandora in my first playthrough as a young lad. Somehow I made it that far with only siren quetz shiva and ifrit.

I love ff8 but I've never beaten it because I just start playing cards and never feel like going back to the actual game.
>>
>>3280125
Yep. Adel ruined my first playthrough of FF8.
I was a retarded 10 year old. But in my defense, it's poor design that the game was mostly possible to complete with GF spam. There's should have been a similar boss far earlier in the game, with the same gimmick to teach the player not to rely on GFs.
>>
>>3280123
In FF7 I didn't equipped materia on my characters until that boss on the Shinra elevator (11yrs old at the time). I had to bother reading the manual because that battle without materia is hell.
>>
Mega Man 5, when you get up to that last robot monster who is hard as fuck without beat. It was then i realized I should have gotten those letters in the regular levels, but at that point you might as well reset the game.
>>
>>3280714
THE MODERN FUCKING GAMER, EVERYONE.
>>
>>3280714
>There's should have been a similar boss far earlier in the game, with the same gimmick to teach the player not to rely on GFs.

It's almost as if the GFs have limited amounts of HP and very hard-to-find recovery items that also can't be used in battle as if to implicitly show what GF's weaknesses are.
>>
I only recently found out about the item crash in Rondo of Blood.
>>
I knew a friend that didn't know that you're supposed to switch equipment to learn a new ability in FF9. He somehow managed to make it to the end of the first disc with Vivi only knowing like one spell, and Zidane using his starting weapon.
>>
>>3280123
Jet Set Radio Future.. you don't input moves quickly like Cool Boarders.
>>
>>3280131
I only made it to disc 2.
>>
File: final fantasy whatever.jpg (424KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
final fantasy whatever.jpg
424KB, 1920x1080px
>>3280123
I realized I was playing the game wrong when I noticed how often they say "Whatever".

Then I stopped and played better games instead.
>>
>>3280928
And I was like whatever
>>
>>3280123
I got to Sniper Wolf in MGS without having picked up the sniper rifle. The game couldn't have been helping to make it clear where it was so I just stopped playing the game there and then.
>>
Perhaps someone can make this discussion more user-friendly by explaining what GF means.
>>
>>3280963
Or you could use the stinger missiles and wreck her shit with a few of those.
>>
>>3280970
Guardian Force, it's what summons were called in Final Fantasy VIII.
>>
>>3280976
Are they those guided missiles that move in right angles?
>>
>>3280963
Dude, I did the exact same thing. I spent hours going back and forth back and forth looking for it.

Finally I bought a guide. Which in turn made me buy guides for other games. ruining my gaming experiences from there on.

FUCK YOU KOJIMA
>>
>>3281008
>I spent hours going back and forth back and forth looking for it.

Otacon literally tells you where it fucking is
>>
File: 1405482239108.jpg (20KB, 166x152px) Image search: [Google]
1405482239108.jpg
20KB, 166x152px
>>3280765
Except I cannot remember ever using a GF HP restoring item during that playthrough. As far as I was concerned, there was no draw back from spamming GFs. And there wasn't, until Adel.
I stand by that GFs are badly designed and overpowered (until, once again, Adel). Or, at least, are badly explained.

My scenario with Adel, is like letting someone in an FPS viably and easily use the pistol throughout the whole game, without ever switching, and then 3ΒΌ of the way through have a boss that can only be hurt by a flame thrower. Sure, the player should have used other weapons, if only for the sake of variety, but if they were never incentivized to change how they play: why would they? Especially in a jrpg where your main goal is to see more of the story. Be honest, the main draw of FF8 was the story not the gameplay. Now, I'm not saying that FF8 has BAD gameplay, but if all it had was the gameplay I would have never made it to Adel. And to get there, I chose the easiest path because nothing stopped me from doing it and I had no interest in exploring the battle mechanics.
I played FF8 as a lazy player (which is totally my fault), who was not interested in learning or simply did not understand the mechanics. And yet I made it well into disc 3. Isn't that odd? I can't think of any other game I've played that would allow this behavior. If I never learned how to do a running jump or how to bounce off mid air enemies in Mario 1, I would never be able to make it to the end. I would be stuck until I learned those skills.
But FF8 let me completely ignore its key mechanics, until a boss that's very late into the game. FF8 failed to explain its core mechanics and when I ignored its brief and poorly worded tutorial, it slapped me on the back and let me go without consequence. That's not how you teach someone how to do something. Bad behavior should be punished asap. FF8 fails to do this and it's a poorer game because of it.
>>
>>3280989
That's the Nikita
>>
>>3281095
God help you if you ever play a game that's actually somewhat challenging. You were handed dozens of options for the entirety of the game, the fact that you refused to use them and preferred to look at pretty animations was entirely your fault, your arrogance, and your own stupidity.
>>
>>3281148
>God help you if you ever play a game that's actually somewhat challenging.
But I do. The only difference is that you're incentivized to experiment in those games. I'm not listing them though, because you'll say they're not "hardcore" enough no matter what I say. But even then, I'm not criticizing my play style (in fact, I already admitted that I played in a very lazy way) I'm criticizing how FF8 presented its mechanics.
> You were handed dozens of options for the entirety of the game,
When exactly were these dozens of options? I'm curious, because I only remember that FF8 was very light on explaining itself and mostly assumed you already knew how to play jrpgs. It spent more time explaining the card game.
> the fact that you refused to use them and preferred to look at pretty animations was entirely your fault, your arrogance, and your own stupidity.
I refused the use the other options because there was no point and spamming GFs was the fastest way to the next story event. There was never a point, prior to the Adel fight, where my GF spam tactic wasn't viable. Not using the whole repertoire that existed was my fault. It WAS arrogant of me to think I could win the game this way, but the previous 30 or so hours in 40hr game gave me fair reason to be confident in that. Is gaming the system stupid? I would more say lazy. Working out the junction and magic system would not have been difficult, but it would have taken time away from rushing to story events and learning the mechanics simply wasn't a priority.
Oh, and by the way. You seem to be under the impression that I never figured FF8's mechanics. I did. I got the game when I was around 10 years old and went back to it when I was about 15. I had a lot more games under my belt and had more patience. I figured out the junction system so well that I broke the game over my knee. But that's not what this thread was about so I didn't mention it. My point is that FF8 is poorly explained and lets the player be lazy.
>>
>>3280123
FF8 was my first FF and I was like 12 when I first played it. I got up to the first fight with Raijin and Fujin in the lunatic pandora mostly spamming GFs and gave up. Came back a few years later after I had more experience with RPGs and completely stomped the game. With smart play the junction system can break the game far more than any other final fantasy. The only summon I used was doomtrain so I didn't have to use my meltdowns for vit 0.
>>
File: 1458054442656.png (107KB, 841x797px) Image search: [Google]
1458054442656.png
107KB, 841x797px
>be me
>play ff8 again
>decide to no gf challenge
>just like in real life
>tfw no gf
>>
>>3281434
That's really the problem with FF8

If you don't know how to play it, you're spamming summons up until Adel/Ultemicia

If you DO know how to play it, you've broken the game by the Dollet mission and are spamming limit breaks on everything that looks at you funny.
>>
To be fair FF8 does a poor job explaining level ups are BAD for you.
>>
>>3280963
Bullshit. You need to get the sniper in order to get past the part where Meryl gets shot.
>>
>>3281471
Also if you don't have the sniper by the first encounter, they tell you exactly where the fuck it is.
>>
>>3281480
U cant even get the sniper until meryl get shot
>>
got all the way to yellow orb in dragon warrior 3 gbc without any party members
then i realized how hard i made it
>>
>>3281447
OR, if you're not an idiot and like to keep yourself challenged, you limit how powerful you make your characters.

People who "break" JRPGs lose or never get the point of playing these types of games to begin with.
>>
>>3281496
hahahahaha
>>
>>3281503
All the popular games are hella breakable tho
>>
>>3281520
You choose to break them. That's the wonderful thing about RPGs. You get to choose your play difficulty by your actions rather than a slider in the menu screen.
>>
>>3280928
That was just shit translation though.
>>
>>3281482
You can get it as soon as you kill Psycho Mantis. Most people don't back track to the armory and just keep going forward where they end up having to back track anyway.
>>
>>3281524
>jrpgs
>difficulty
Fuck off.
>>
>>3281539
Did I say something to trigger you, miss?
>>
>>3281561
FUCK. OFF.
>>
>>3281576
Oh my! How angry you are...
Couldn't beat a "no item, no summon, no level" game I take it?
>>
>>3281678
>first time playing X jrpg
>lets do a low level no item no magic and only use defend battle action challenge

Way to completely miss the point of the thread shitposting anon.
>>
>>3280963
kek
they literally tell you exactly where it is in game
how do you still not find it after Otacon clearly says it's in the 2nd floor basement of the Tank Hangar?
>>
>>3281687
>JRPGs are broken because you get too much power!

The point is the one YOU missed, fag. That you don't have to get too much power. It's as hard as you choose to make it, cocksucker.

Stop whining about games you obviously have no business playing.
>>
>>3281696
Who the fuck would want to read shit/listens to shit in a fucking videoGAME? Why in the fuck would someone do that, it's retarded.
>>
it's gonna be a long summer
>>
File: woosh.jpg (62KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
woosh.jpg
62KB, 500x500px
>>3281706
You seem to have mistaken me for the other guy you arguing with.

I happen to enjoy (or at least used to) many jrpgs from the first time I played my brothers copy of Final Fantasy 1 all the way back in 1989, and have had little trouble grasping any mechanics from any of them. I've also done quite a few of the challenge runs you've mentioned, and while fun I can hardly expect someone who's new to any game to impose a challenge on themselves on the first run through.

On an unrelated note, you seem to be completely fucking retarded and just a tad bit too hostile over some video games. Have a blessed day champ.
>>
Currently playing through FF8 for the first time, I'm on Disc 3.

I honestly can't tell if I love or hate the junction system. I like that it's set up in a way that doesn't encourage you just to spam the default attack, but at the same time drawing is way too tedious and just pads the amount of time I'll spend in an encounter. If there was a way to purchase the basic spells, then go hunting for the better ones, I think it would go a lot better. This could effectively replace items, which I think is for the best since you have to assign the item ability for some retarded reason.

Anyways, the system is obtuse but fun to mess around with. I like the fact that I can junction magic attacks to my weapon, or build up elemental resistances with it. But man I feel like I spend hours in the menus alone just trying to shift shit around to where I want it.

I can't tell if FF8 has the best or worst RPG system that I've played, but there's one thing I know for certain.
The story's absolute shit even by JRPG standards.
>>
>>3281783
>If there was a way to purchase the basic spells, then go hunting for the better ones, I think it would go a lot better.

Play cards and use card-mod, then the appropriate magic refining. You can get all the basic spells in about an hour of cards.
>>
Ahh FF8.

Summon Eden
Go take a shit
>>
>>3280963
>>3281008
The fuck is wrong with you two. you had to go back to the armory for the nikitas before that. Why wouldn't you think to go to the fucking armory for a new weapon? theres like 6 rooms there and you cant open them all until you get the key card from meryl
>>
>>3280123
Junction I got on my second attempt at playing the game, first attempt was when I rented it and only had a few days to play so not enough time for 8 year old me to figure out.

One thing that took me years to figure out was the cardgame and how to play it. Wasn't until just this year when I emulated the game for the first time and used save states I finally learned what all that shit means. Still kind of hard to wrap my head around but I've never even played a real card game before.
>>
>>3281064
I don't remember him telling me shit about the sniper rifle.

>>3281853
Because I'm dumb
>>
I wish FFVIII would get a new translation that properly explains shit. This thread is proof of that.
>>
Don't know if it counts, but I used to have some difficulty playing the older Marios, since I was overly careful about my jumps and tried to get every coin and shit. I would die, a lot. I mastered World the easiest due to its forgiving level design and floaty jump mechanics, but the older titles (particularly 1 and 3) still gave me a hard time.

Then I tried playing with zero fucks given, essentially playing as if I'm speedrunning, just blasting ahead Sanic-style, and it's like everything clicked together, as if this is how the games were meant to be played.
>>
>>3281919
You cannot skip the GF/Junction tutorials before/during/after the Fire Cave.

Anyone who needed more than that shouldn't have been mashing X to get past all the dialogue and opened the manual or even the in-game tutorial menu instead of blaming the game despite it giving you three different explanations.
>>
i never got anywhere in oot. i was just stuck in this stupid forest at the beginning, no idea what i was supposed to fucking do, i still dont fucking know. like what the fuck am i even supposed to do? i tried for a fucking month to find a way out of that stupid area, but no one will let me out of the village, the only way out of the village is some place with trees that bring you back to the entrace. seriously can someone fucking explain this shit to me? WHAT THE FUCK DO I EVEN DO?
>>
>>3280963
I'm pretty sure if you call the colonel he tells you about the rifle, and even where it's located.
>>
>>3282141
(You)
>>
>>3282148
I was retarded and didn't update the thread, it's Otacon.
>>
>>3280123
>spamming GFs
>wrong
It's not exactly a clever strategy but I would not call something that works for almost the entire game 'wrong'. Playing it stupid, certainly, but it's highly effective.

>>3280135
Is it because you have a bad case of the shit taste?
>>
>>3281503
> you limit how powerful you make your characters.
You don't need to conciously limit yourself at all, you just don't go out of your way to break the game. It's real fucken easy to just play the game as intended.
>>
>>3281897
>I don't remember him telling me shit about the sniper rifle.
Probably because you didn't think to call him. One of the first things the game drills into your skull is that you call your support team to figure out what to do next. And they always tell you outright, no cryptic clues.
>>
File: 9ed93b6aa077d834c74dab00b3eae265.jpg (117KB, 1040x720px) Image search: [Google]
9ed93b6aa077d834c74dab00b3eae265.jpg
117KB, 1040x720px
>>3282253
>you just don't go out of your way to break the game
Still, you get the idea. I hate it when people shit on FFVIII because they abuse Zell's limits or spam GFs.

>The game's broken and it sucks!
No. You just play it like a shithead. Hell, I have bona fide classes/jobs by the end of disc 2 by setting up junctions and GFs accordingly. The customization possibilities are astounding.
>>
>>3280123
The game literally told you constantly to use your GFs as much as possible. It's my fault for not learning the draw/junction system but they made it possible to get all the way to the final boss with nothing but GFs and then make the last boss impossible. Just looked up the ending. I consider that a beat game.
>>
>>3282309
It also even worked it into the storyline that you were losing your memories from using the GFs too much.
>>
>>3282313
Which in turn is mentioned on the terminals in the classrooms at the start of the game
>>
I loved the card game but hated the passing rules sidequest. Walking back and forth
>>
>>3282262
>Probably because you didn't think to call him

I feel likely I probably called everyone, especially campbell. I doubt I called ocelot though.Because he was my enemy.
>>
first time I played I guess I sort of played it properly, by spamming limit breaks and playing cards sometimes and junctioning things a bit but not really understanding the GFs or how to improve them properly

I remember I had to use Zell's infinite combo to finish Diablos, who almost wiped me out

I made it all the way to the end of disc one where Squall gets impaled and wakes up in prison with an anthropomorphic lion

I remember it really vividly because it's exactly the same way Tuxedo Mask dies and becomes a zombie in the first season of Sailor Moon, and I'm sure it was an homage to that now

he was like "...no wound?" and I was like

omg

Squall is dead he's just hallucinating now ;_;

and I stopped playing because I knew none of it was real, but now that I reflect on it I think that makes it a lot better and really interesting as a story, because it's actually his "Final Fantasy"
>>
Played it wrong too. This and Pokemon RB were my introduction to RPGs and they instilled some pretty bad habits in me when playing this genre. Like I don't think I've ever equipped the item command in FF8. Never deleted obsolete GF moves and taught something more useful. etc
>>
I played through the entirety of Mario Bros without realizing that you can make Mario run.
>>
File: VS-enemy-dullahan.gif (32KB, 261x327px) Image search: [Google]
VS-enemy-dullahan.gif
32KB, 261x327px
Vagrant Story's second boss, the dullahan.

I had completely failed to grasp the counter and chain systems. You can wade through the game up to this point playing completely wrong being completely oblivious to how combat is actually supposed to work.

The game doesn't do much of anything to confirm that you are actually understanding the mechanic prior to this fight, so you can come up against this guy with basically none of required knowledge and understanding you need to be able to beat him.

I had defer to a guide at this point to find out what the fuck I was doing wrong, and basically discovered I'd gone through the whole game prior to this point completely ignoring roughly three quarters of the combat system.
>>
>>3282553
Also guilty of this.
>>
>>3282613
This guy was the shit.
>>
>>3280963
1. You CAN'T pick up the sniper rifle before meryl gets shot.

2. The colonel tells you exactly where to find one.
>>
>>3282619
The enemy designs in this game are fucking beautiful.

They look absolutely astounding for how low poly they are. Probably the best looking characters models of any PS1 game.
>>
>>3282624
To be fair all the designs in this game are fucking beautiful. Enemies, characters, SFX, and oh sweet Jesus the architecture. Gotta love that Ivalice aesthetic.
>>
>>3281537
No you can't, Meryl stops you if you try to backtrack.

Also the cutscenes following Sniper Wolf's first defeat require you to have have abandoned Meryl there in order to go look for the rifle.
>>
>>3282613
I KNEW I had to be doing something wrong. I more or less dropped the game some time past the first boss because the combat system felt one-dimensional to me. Thanks for the tip. Might look into it again.
>>
This thread is full of peolme who either only read walk thrus of the game and/or never read the manuals.
Almost everything I have seen in this thread would have been explained in the fucking instructions.
This is one true way to pick out the underages. Games don't even cone with them anymore and they have no idea that's one of the supplimental things they should look for before starting a new game.
>>
>>3280135
>playing Final Fantasy, or any JRPG for that matter, more than once
I don't get it.
>>
>>3280135
Youre an autist?
>>
>>3282875
To be completely fair, when I played FFVIII, it was my brother's friend's copy, and IIRC it didn't come with the manual.
>>
>>3282897
The beginning of the game has plenty of tutorials explaining everything to you. Quistis explains a lot when you meet with her to go to Ifrit's cave.

Then, all these tutorials and more can be access through the game menus, just above the selection you used all the time to save the game.

Then there is also the fact that you have these submenus accessible from that same menu where you can do everything and that you never ventured to try that more than the basic requirement. In a RPG.

FFVIII was the perfect jRPG road for me. It offered tons of freedom to the player, it was up to him to try out all the possibilities, it's the FF game with the most possibilities I know (I stopped at IX though). And not just gameplay, it's the same with the story, it's up to the player to explore and find plenty of dots for himself to connect together so he can understand the grand scale. Talking to NPCs matter, reading stuf everywhere matters, thinking matters. Not everything is spoonfed.

Players like are the reason why the series ended up more linear, with much more limited gameplay systems, and with more spoonfed stories. Games like IX, X or XIII. They figured that, in a jRPG, if you trusted the player too much for him to actually play the game, it wouldn't work for many people. So they downgraded gameplay systems and storytelling. You are why XIII exists.
>>
File: Overseer_with_miniguns.png (65KB, 204x153px) Image search: [Google]
Overseer_with_miniguns.png
65KB, 204x153px
>>3280123
1997 fallout1
when overseer told me
''yees...yes you can touch things.''
>>
>>3282253
You don't need to go out of your way to break FFVIII. Mechanics that need you to tie your hands behind your back or else you break the game are shitty mechanics, full stop.
>>
I played through Deus Ex on PS2 without using upgrades because somehow I didn't know about them until near the end, then I found the menu screen and upgraded everything.
>>
>>3280135
No idea bud. I enjoyed 8 more than most but never got into 9 that much. Never even finished it.
>>
>>3280928
You're so cool
>>
>>3280963
He tells you the exact place it is. I thibk he evens calls YOU to complain you haven't gone and got it yet.

Did you struggle with all ps1 games, op?
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.