[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so I found a patch that fixes the strafing in the PC version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: powerslaveart.jpg (985KB, 1181x1472px) Image search: [Google]
powerslaveart.jpg
985KB, 1181x1472px
so I found a patch that fixes the strafing in the PC version of powerslave so you can circlestrafe and all that fancy stuff. Thought I would share it with you guys. You need to set your controls before applying the patch or else it won't work, you also need to use the turn keys not the strafe keys the patch will take care of it.

http://www.r-t-c-m.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/powerslave-patchs/expsdehk.zip
>>
SLAVE

TO

THE POWER

OF

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH
>>
There is something very important to know when using this patch.

It allows to strafe, turn, and going forward/backward at the same time, which wasn't possible in the original game.

In Build games, as well as in Doom and many other 2.5D FPS, when strafing and going backwards at the same time, you go faster. About 20% depending on the game.

As a result, if you strafe/forward jump, you make longer leaps; and as a result, since you were not able to originally, you can sequence break a LOT of things in the game.

The levels design and layout were heavily based on "being able to see a place long before you gain access to it", and a lot of design is based on the precise original jump distance limit. So, if you strafe/forward/jump you can sequence break in almost every level.

Here is an example video I made a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSl5alRtV8U&feature=youtu.be

Here in Lev8 you can access the end of the level right from the start that way. Of course, in this case it's obvious you're not supposed to do that, but in many cases it really isn't obvious you're sequence breaking if you do it and are not aware of this.

So enjoy the patch, but for every jump, do not strafe at the same time unless you want to completely break the game.

The game however with real strafing in this game is that, unlike in Doom or DN3D or most other 2.D FPS in which enemies fire straight projectiles at you, in Exhumed/Powerslave if you strafe they'll shoot by trying to guess where you're going to be, rather than shooting where you are. This gives a new dimension to the gameplay with the real strafing patch.

Great game, glad to see a thread about it. If you like the PC version of this game stay tuned for a surprise in a few months.
>>
more like powerstrafe, am i rite :^)
>>
>>3276220
Lmao :-P
>>
File: RUIN0005_zpsdvvdzysk.png (34KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
RUIN0005_zpsdvvdzysk.png
34KB, 320x200px
>>3276218
>n Build games, as well as in Doom and many other 2.5D FPS, when strafing and going backwards at the same time, you go faster. About 20% depending on the game.

When I say strafing and going backwards at the same time, I mean forward or backwards. You should know this if you've played Doom or DN3D though.

Pic is an old beta screenshot of when the gamed was called Ruins: Return of the Gods
>>
>>3276218
You could still pull off those jumps with just using the strafe key instead of using the slow strafe buttons. The patch just makes it easier to control
>>
>>3276553
No, because like I said, in the original game, you can't strafe and go forward/backwards at the same time. It's one or the other; and it's doing both which gives the speed boost.

Even if you're just strafekey+turnleft/right key and with autorunning at the same time, you wouldn't make those jumps.

Only way without the patch is to use strafe key with mouse movement; but in that case it is very obvious it's an exploit and you're not supposed to be that fast; unlike with the patch where one may not even realize he's not supposed to be so fast or jump that long distances.
>>
File: PSXDoomBoxArt.jpg (350KB, 999x1454px) Image search: [Google]
PSXDoomBoxArt.jpg
350KB, 999x1454px
>>3276180
BTW, that cover... I love how the game is recognizable, down to the textures themselves.

Only thing that aren't present in the game are the shotgun and the giant spider.

Then the cover reminded me of the Doom PS1 cover, from the fact that it represents the game, to the colour and even down to the brick wall and the rectangular tiles on the ceiling. It's actually the same artist.
>>
File: PowerslaveExhumedCover.jpg (85KB, 516x648px) Image search: [Google]
PowerslaveExhumedCover.jpg
85KB, 516x648px
>>3276593
Now, the curious thing is, just like in the Powerslave cover, the artist is very respectful of the original material EXCEPT one enemy is unseen in the game...

Also there exists variants of these covers on the artist' site, in the Powerslave one he's firing the gun and the machete is holstered (the contrary as on the actual game cover) and the Doom has an extra monster in the back (looks like a Cyberdemon) and other things like colours and Doomguy's beard are different too.
>>
File: Doom2.jpg (562KB, 589x648px) Image search: [Google]
Doom2.jpg
562KB, 589x648px
>>3276596
>>
>>3276582
No you can still do it you just have to do it sideways go try it with the ridiculous speed of mouse strafing its easy
>>
>>3276612
This is exactly what I said.
>>
>>3276638
Well then you admit you dont need the patch then
>>
There's always Powerslave EX.
>>
>>3276661
My point is with the patch the speed boost is not obvious. When you do it with the mouse, you realize it's broken and you're not supposed to do that.

When you play the game with the patch, due to the way the speedboost is not obvious and due to how the level design is, you WILL sequence break without realizing it, especially if you're playing it for the first time.

The patch is great, just don't do jumps that involve strafing and going forward (or backward) at the same time.
>>
File: 1.png (79KB, 217x223px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
79KB, 217x223px
>>3276598
>>
>>3276671
thats the playstation version this patch is for the PC version two completely different games. Both of them are awesome though
>>
>>3276593
>shotgun and the giant spider
The shotgun to me looks like the artist started to draw the M60 barrel but decided to just turn it into a shotgun to take up less room or because it was easier. The spiders are totally in the game though! A lot of people think they're red crabs, but they're spiders. Agree that it's awesome cover art.

>>3276676
That's his shoulder, not his head.
>>
>>3277025
>That's his shoulder, not his head.
What do you know about demonic anatomy?
>>
>>3277029
I know that the head is between the two big spikes.
>>
>>3276672
I get what you are saying, I found out right away because I tried to make the controls somewhat decent way before I ever knew about this patch and was amazed at how fucking fast you could mousestrafe
>>
>>3276180

Wish someone would hack the midi support back in, the CD music is nice but I prefer midi played through my external midi modules.

(midi support is actually in the old demos)
>>
File: Terrainian01.png (5KB, 93x39px) Image search: [Google]
Terrainian01.png
5KB, 93x39px
>>3277025
Well yeah the Terrainian spiders, but they look nothing like that....

I know they used to be brown coloured until very late in development, they probably changed the colour so you could see them better in all those dark textures, but still don't look anything like that.
Unlike other enemies depicted in the picture which are very close to their in game look, the Magmantis is just too small.
>>
don't turn mouselook on or you're going to have a bad time. its fine without verticle aim, if you have mouse aiming on all the time its choppy as shit.
>>
>>3277025
>>
>>3276553
>strafe key instead of [...] strafe buttons

WUT, by which term are you calling the strafe modifier? key or button?

i thought everyone used the term strafe modifiers and strafe toggle, for say...
holding ALT + LEFT to strafe
or pressing ALT once and LEFT strafes until ALT pressed again

both strafe button and strafe key sounds to me like synonyms to < and >

>>3276218
>In Build games, as well as in Doom and many other 2.5D FPS, when strafing and going backwards at the same time, you go faster. About 20% depending on the game.

hm, didnt know that! this is also true in the sith/jedi engine, so Dark Forces, shadow of the empire, Outlaws
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.