[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to create a device that would let you link handhelds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: DSCN0445.jpg (455KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0445.jpg
455KB, 1600x1200px
Is it possible to create a device that would let you link handhelds remotely?

It would be dope to play online with people, I never get to use system link anymore.
>>
>>3273717
Err... for the gameboy, there is a hardware mod that allows you to connect online to trade and battle for pokemon....
>>
I think you're only going to see support for it if through emulation
>>
>>3273717
Well, pokemon red and blue on the 3ds have added wireless functionality, were there that many gameboy games that even used the link cable? I remember playing pokemon and Yoshi cookie through it, what else was there?
>>
>>3273989
Tetris. I have literally spent more time playing 2 player Tetris than some people on /vr/ have been alive.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
Was wondering something like this too, might as well not start a new thread about it..

Would there be a way to create a device you could plug a link cable into, and then you a correspond program to send the link cable signal to someone else with the same device?? Surely someone would have thought of this by now, what are the limitations??
>>
>>3274878
Already answered that but some janitard decided to delete the post. I suppose next they'll be banning people for helping out in the mod/repair thread.
>>
>>3274969
Why? Is discussing that considered "not retro" what the fuck kinda niggernazi shit
>>
>>3274878
The only problem is latency.
>>
>>3274878
my exact thoughts
>>3274969
>>3275000
FFFFFUUU
>>3275275
can't be too bad theres prob not much data being transfered.
>>
There should be a way to link to USB and trade online/battle online via gameboys.
>>
>>3275471
>can't be too bad theres prob not much data being transfered.

You're confusing latency with bandwidth.

There is a finite speed at which data can be sent.
In fiber optic cables that speed is about 60% the speed of light.

This means if I was in LA with our hypothetical gb-to-internet device and you were in NYC, then the latency will be 20 ms, assuming we had a direct fiber optic line to each other, which is the fastest possible connection we could achieve.
In reality, this latency would be even greater, due to our connection having to go through routers, dns servers, and our wifi.
Let's say, double the latency to make up for this.
We now have a 40 m/s delay between your gameboy sending data and mine receiving.

In 40 m/s a gameboy can send 328 bits. This is a problem because to my knowledge, the gb does not have any kind of error correction for this kind of delay and would thus cause massive desynchronization, if it would work at all.
>>
>>3273989
tons of games support link play

I'm interested in seeing more stuff for 4-player adapter, I love using that thing for F1 Race and RC Pro Am.
>>
>>3275559
thanks man awesome post

the device couldn't compensate? maybe instead of using the link ports it could have a cart slot and plug into the cart slot on the handhelds only using them for display and controls somehow?

feel free to tell me I'm stupid
>>
>>3275568
>Faceball 2000 with all 16 players

I want to, so bad.
>>
>>3275593
I don't know.
Maybe the device could compensate, and simply reduce the latency to lag (record x many packets and then play them back), which wouldn't be too much of a problem for games like pokemon, since they're turn based, but racing games would look very choppy.

Another thing that could be done is to make patches for the games which adds some TCP/IP like protocols to the games (send a packet, wait for an acknowledgment from the other gameboy), but at that point both parties need a flashcart so they might as well just use an emulator with support for netplay.
>>
>>3275594
I want to beleive this happened once ever. I couldn't even ever find one other person that had that when I did. But a lot had f1 racing.
>>
>>3275475

This.
>>3273756

Took me a bit of time, but I found out what it was:
http://gameboylife.com/post/115833950242/trade-and-battle-pokemon-online-with-tcpoke-for
https://www.tindie.com/products/pepijndevos/tcpoke-shield-kit/
>>
>>3275696
thats pretty damn cool

>>3275616
could the device work like a game copier, load the rom from the cart into memory and patch it on the fly?

done with stupid ideas now. gonna play some more g-loc and try to forget about battling like the old days.

If some smart guy ever comes up with a solution my handhelds would get a lot more love
>>
File: GBA_Wireless_Adapter.png (43KB, 210x130px) Image search: [Google]
GBA_Wireless_Adapter.png
43KB, 210x130px
>>3275696
That's really rad. Might make a fun summer project, although actually finding people online is probably kind of like the ham radio of video games.

There was also the wireless adapter for the Gameboy Advance but unfortunately it only worked in Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green if I recall correctly. It supposedly had a very impressive range and was a pretty seamless experience.
>>
>>3275681
There was a guy on a forum once who got all the link cables, copies of the game and gameboys needed and then went to a convention with them to get some 16 player deathmatches going.

If I find the thread I'll drop you a link.

>>3275696
Interesting. Judging by the name [TCP]oke I think it's adding tcp/ip protocols to the signal after the gb sends them (record, send, acknowledge, repeat) similar to what we came up with

>>3275717
>could the device work like a game copier, load the rom from the cart into memory and patch it on the fly
That's a good idea, we could make something like the monsterbrain, but I think it's downfall would be price and complexity.

What it would essentially be is a cart dumper and a flashcart all in one package. This could be done by just making a everdrive gb clone and then adding a arduino for cart dumping and writing to the sd card. The hard part is making patches.
I'm still a greenhorn when it comes to gameboy homebrew, but I think we would have to make a custom patch for every game, and I have no idea how to make firmware for patching.
>>
>>3276064
> it only worked in Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green
Nope.

bit Generations series (Japan only)
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
Boktai 3: Sabata's Counterattack
Classic NES Series:
Donkey Kong (arcade game)
Dr. Mario
Ice Climber
Pac-Man
Super Mario Bros.
Xevious
Digimon Racing (Note: Wireless Adapter functionality is also available in the European release)
Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Mega Man Battle Network 5
Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzar
Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar
Momotaro Dentetsu G: Make a Gold Deck! (Japan only)
Pokémon Emerald
Pokémon FireRed
Pokémon LeafGreen
Sennen Kazoku (Japan only)
Shrek SuperSlam
>>
>>3275593
It's hard to compensate for latency without a time machine. The data simply isn't available until a certain time. The port you use is irrelevant. It's a speed of light/gate switching thing.
The only thing you can do is redesign the way the game works and communicates. For example, in an old game using net play you get desync. In a modern game designed to deal with it you see people teleporting from one place to another because the game resyncs.

>>3276364
I wouldn't worry so much about the dumper. You only need to dump once, unless you're going to full retron levels of hipsterism. More important is adding wifi to the cart. It's easy enough to throw in a module. You'll want to add another CPU to handle that as the GB CPU will be busy running the game. You could save a lot on cost and work by eliminating a lot of the ED shit and going with an old school style solution. Certainly the way to go for initial development so you can concentrate on what's no as opposed to reinventing the wheel.

Patching the game is the whole key though. Until you have someone who can do it everything else is mental masturbation.
>>
>>3277781
>wouldn't worry so much about the dumper

I guess what I was thinking of was being able to use the original cart.
Obviously since the game needs to be patched one could just use a rom.
Ideally though we could find a way to make a universal or smart patch that could patch any game, so the dumper would truly be useful as a plug'n'play for any cart.
I don't know too much assembly yet, but I already feel this is nigh impossible.

Might be easier to make a device that collects the gb's link cable output into packets and then send them periodically, then feed the gb a dummy signal between packet receives.
This would be much simpler, but would cause teleports at the same frequency as the latency.

For games like Pokemon or Tetris this wouldn't be so bad, but games like F1 or Faceball might not take it as gracefully.

Ultimately this is all gonna be a bit of a kludge since the gb expects synchronous communication.
>>
>>3277816
>universal or smart patch
That's not going to happen. I'm fluent in several dialects of assembly and am familiar with how many of these games work.

Buffering packets would cause the game to slow down or time out. I'm not aware of any game that even considers the possibility of desync. Most games just expect to shove bits back and forth across a short cable nearly instantaneously.

For a universal solution the only option I see would be to implement something like netplay. So the cart would handle the IO registers and send them back and forth just like an emulator would. You could even resync by doing a save state on the master and restore on the save. Reliability of that would vary console and game.
But unfortunately that would only work for multi player local, not multi player linked.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.