[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Love SMB2 >People act like its weird now (nobody acted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 12

File: smb2 nes.jpg (146KB, 506x730px) Image search: [Google]
smb2 nes.jpg
146KB, 506x730px
>Love SMB2
>People act like its weird now (nobody acted like this when I was a kid)
>Check out Lost Levels again
>Beyond a few new gimmicks, its the exact same game as the first SMB

Wait. Did people actually want this shitty glorified level pack to come to the US instead of the superior SMB2 we have now?
>>
>every single boss is birdo shooting 3 eggs

shit game desu
>>
Thanks for the quality thread OP!
>>
File: dahell.jpg (9KB, 222x171px) Image search: [Google]
dahell.jpg
9KB, 222x171px
>>3272723
Mouser, Triclyde, Clawgrip, Fry Guy, that flying door that attacks you, Wart
>>
>>3272719
It's kinda sad really how Super Mario 2 lost so much credibility over the years. It's a really inventive and fun game. I don't know why anyone likes the Japanese 2. The original Mario physics are great but the gameplay just doesn't stand up with all the bullshit bad level design jp2 has.
>>
im glad we have both
>>
>>3272719
>>People act like its weird now

nobody acts like this though. stop making shit up
>>
>>3272729
they changed the physics in smb2j play mario and luigi back to back
>>
>>3272719
>Did people actually want this shitty glorified level pack to come to the US instead of the superior SMB2 we have now?

Well, some people like challenge.
Not saying SMB2 doesn't offer any challenge, but the difference between this game and LL is enormous. And I personally prefer the classic Mario Bros gameplay.
>>
>>3272728
I knew that. I was just testing your knowledge on this great game ;^)
>>
Super Mario Bros. 2 is awesome. My favorite of the NES Mario games.
>>
>>3272719
Loved it then and love it now, but 3 will always be my favorite
>>
>>3272723
>every single boss is Bowser shooting fireballs
>>
>>3272719
I'd say hipsters and purists.

Hipsters are all like "Lol that's not the real MB2, that's your re-skinned gaijin garbage. Look at my vintage game cred"
While purists simply prefer the jp version because it got the MB2 title first and is harder.
>>
File: 1451293087963.jpg (56KB, 380x303px) Image search: [Google]
1451293087963.jpg
56KB, 380x303px
I just wish Luigi and Toad weren't worthless.
>>
File: MARIO.jpg (130KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
MARIO.jpg
130KB, 1000x1000px
Elder God Tier:
Super Mario Bros. 2

High Tier:
Super Mario Bros.

Mid Tier:
Super Mario World

Low Tier:
Super Mario Bros. 3

Shit Tier:
Super Mario World 2
>>
>>3273654
Finally someone that doesn't suck 3's and World's dick.
>>
>>3272719
I don't think the majority of older SMB2 fans suddenly started to dislike it because of those things, OP. Most people who talk that shit never really liked SMB2 USA in the first place anyway. Just a lot of idiots who try to act "cool" to say that the Lost Levels is superior for dumb reasons like >>3273474 said. It's one thing to like challenge but the stuff they throw you in Lost Levels is just beyond ridiculous. Backwards warp pipes? Poisonous mushrooms? Forced mazes even when it's not a castle level? C'mon, that's stupid stuff you would expect from terrible romhacks or Super Mario Maker levels nowadays.

Super Mario Bros 2 US ain't my favorite Mario game I'm too much of a normalfag to prefer other Mario's like SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island but at least they gave us a game that played differently with some new ideas that are still re-used in Mario games nowadays like using different bosses at the end of each world and newer characters like Bob-ombs, Shy Guys and of course Birdo. I would take this game over Lost Levels any day of the week.
>>
>>3272740
>Well, some people like challenge.
Lost Levels isn't that hard. The first time I played it I beat it in like a 3 hour sitting.

Super Mario 64 is the best Mario game.
>>
>>3273741
>Lost Levels isn't that hard
Still a lot harder than SMB2.

>Super Mario 64 is the best Mario game
This one is even easier.
>>
>>3272719
Back then we didn't even know that SMB: The Lost Levels even exsisted. Nintendo Power didn't tell us nuttin'. That's fine though, SMB2 was the shit.
>>
>>3273664

Theyre great games anon. Im sorry that you cant appreciate them the way I do.
>>
File: Mariodokidoki.jpg (29KB, 522x240px) Image search: [Google]
Mariodokidoki.jpg
29KB, 522x240px
>>3272719
When I first played it I thought it was a bootleg game (I didn't know about Pic Related back then).

Nothing's wrong about the original SMB2 if you actually liked SMB.
>>
I used to call SMB2USA Doki Doki Panic just to piss off my friends. They used to call me a weeb. I still don't treat SMB2USA as the actual SMB2. "Lost Levels" is SMB2 to me.
>>
>>3273654
hipster faggot confirmed
>>
mario 2 is the bext mario game behind super mario and mario world, mario 3 is pretty much a STOOL SAMPLE lmao :D
>>
File: sb5.png (8KB, 204x192px) Image search: [Google]
sb5.png
8KB, 204x192px
>>3273824
There was an actual bootleg of SMB2USA, I played it as a kid on my famiclone as "Super Bros. 5".

Basically the same game though, don't think it had any actual difference with the real thing.

I wasn't sure about the authenticity of this when I was a kid, I knew these "Super bros" games were always bootlegs (also had Super Bros. 6 which was a Mario hack of Tiny Toon Adventures), but I was familiar with the vegetables in SMB2 because of the cartoon show.
>>
>This thread

Real fuckin' neat, OP.
>>
>>3273741
Mario 64 can't be the best. They reduced mario's univers at is lowest. Only a few enemies from mario's games are present. No travel around the world you just have to explore the castle. There is no multiplayers mode. You can't fucking ride yoshi at the end. It's a kind of Toad has lost his personnality and became the name of all mushroom people. I was so disapointed about all those facts when i was a kid.
>>
I like this game.

What I don't like is having to suffer though these fairweather types telling me about how it's not the real "Super Mario Brothers 2."

It's like, yeah I've played the original one and unlike your casual ass, I've beaten it.

Why is it a sin to like this game lately?
>>
>>3272723
>every single boss is birdo shooting 3 eggs
Not only are there other bosses, but Birdo doesn't always shoot only eggs.
>>
>>3274074
>>3274074
THANK YOU!

Mario 64 was NOT that great of a game. Even the levels themselves are empty generic landscapes.
>>
>>3274074
Those are the smallest complaints i have seen in my life. Its weird how the 1% of the game makes you hate the 99% of it.
>>
>>3274095
Yes it could be compared to the 1st Mario bros in a way but mario1 got the excuse to be the 1st game, the games who have followed have added so many good things that mario64 didn't even take in count and it's a shame. Even doing the 120 stars is blank there is no real fun to do it, no extra levels, extra things in platform games became popular things ( remember Mario world with levels and more hided levels, yoshi's island with all 100%, DKC 2 and 3, even demon crest with a true last boss)
>>
>>3274118
I really miss hidden content.
>>
>>3274123
They though going on the roof and smell the ass of yoshi would be enough for us. In a way that why that game got things like luigi's hoax, i think players must have been so disapointed for no real extras content compared to others platform games.
>>
>>3274131
It's another one of those things where they later try to claim it's because the DD would have expanded it beyond belief.
>>
>>3272719
No one to which I have ever spoke, that played the game in their youth, suddenly disliked it upon the realization it wasn't the original released in Japan.
>>
People jus feel like they "missed out" on lost levels
>>
>>3274015
Buttmad Yoshifag detected.
>>
>>3274081
Because E-celebs told them so. They are not allowed to like it anymore because they wanna feel special for hating it.
>>
>>3274619
Pardon my ignorance but I'm new to this board and the whole retro game culture (though ive been gaming all my life). What's with this e-celeb hate? Is it really that warranted or is it just a meme?or are there really that many tools out there that would hate a game they loved growing up just because some clown on YouTube doesn't like it?
>>
>>3272719
Third option:

US gets real SMB2 and a DokiDoki Panic! release
>>
>>3274729
Believe me, the e-celeb hate is not just a meme here. It's real. Whether it's always justified or not is an entirely different matter and depends on what's the subject of the discussion.
>>
>>3274765
Shut up, James, you shitload of fuck.
>>
>>3272719
I love it and wish it had a bigger influence on the overall series. It has more interesting ideas and settings than the usual Mario game.
I also love SML1.
>>
>>3272719
I remember back when when mario 2 first came out and everyone was super excited about it.
I remember all the merchandise and stickers that more or less revolved around mario 2.

None of use even knew about the real mario 2 until about the time when All stars came out on the SNES. And even then, we played it for a while and went back to original 2.

So no, no one I knew and knew a fuckton of kids when I was a kid, cared about "lost levels".

Though some vietnamese shit put a famicom disk system game in my god damn vcr and broke then cried to his parents when he couldn't get it out.

Retards.
>>
>>3276067
>So no, no one I knew and knew a fuckton of kids when I was a kid, cared about "lost levels".

that's because it wasn't released in USA in the first place.
>>
>>3273809
>This one is even easier.
It has a lower skill floor, but probably the highest skill ceiling in any Mario game. It's more fun and the movement skill ceiling gives you more reasons to replay it.
>>
File: 1442269360946.gif (2KB, 62x64px) Image search: [Google]
1442269360946.gif
2KB, 62x64px
>>3273654
>SMB2 above SMB1
>SMB3 below World
Such a shit opinion.

SMB1>SMB3>SMB2>WORLD>WORLD 2
>>
The Super Mario Bros 2 we got is good, but I can't ignore the fact it's just a retextured Doki Doki Panic game.
That's probably what make it weird.
Even when I was a kid and didn't know about Doki Doki Panic, I still though the game was weird as a Mario game. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but it felt weird, with how things worked so differently compared to Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 with for instance, different monsters, different mechanics (no jumping on ennemies to kill them), and mostly the different vibes I got from the game.
>>
Once in a Nintendo magazine (not official) they said that Super Mario Bros. 2 (Doki Doki Panic) people "may have noticed... well it it was crap". The exact word "crap", acting as if it were a fact that it were common knowledge and consensus that it were crap. To this day that one article piece boils my blood... so utterly wrong.
>>
Unlike most of you young assholes, I grew up with NES and got this game when I was 5. It was amazing when it came out and still fun today. The game rewarded exploration and each level was huge. It looked great, the music was amazing, and it was just an all around wonderful title.

I'm glad we didn't get the mario 2 lost levels bullshit. NO ONE would have wanted another mario game.
>>
File: 1461395246912.jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1461395246912.jpg
22KB, 400x300px
I still think it's really neat to play as peach to this day.

She felt annoying to save in the first super Mario bros. but then you actually get to PLAY as her and she has a really useful mechanic too! And those segments in paper Mario where you play as her were really fun too.
>>
>>3276620
this.
>>
No one had any idea what Doki Doki Panic was or that there was a Japanese version of Mario 2. Even when Lost Levels came out, we just thought it was some bonus Mario game that came with Super Mario All Stars..

I think since the E-Celeb shit is honestly when people started caring about it. Maybe some kids noticed how weird the US Mario 2 was, which is understandable since it is completely different than any other Mario game before or since, but it was similar to Zelda II. No one had a frame of reference yet or really cared.

Only nowadays do people really get attached to these games and act like faggots about it.
>>
>>3274095
>THANK YOU!
>Mario 64 was NOT that great of a game. Even the levels themselves are empty generic landscapes.
Super Msario 64 is not the "best" game, but it is one of the "greatest" games because of how revolutionary it was.
When you see online lists rank Super Mario 64 high, it's because of its innovation and huge impact it made.
>>
>>3276213
Eventually it was though, idiot. Did you even read the post?
>>
>>3278381
>One of the greatest
No

>How revolutionary it
wasn't
>>
>>3278386
Proof of your claims?
>>
File: what time is it.jpg (16KB, 418x235px) Image search: [Google]
what time is it.jpg
16KB, 418x235px
>>3278381

Precisely, I can't understand why people expect a 20 year old game to retroactively update itself to conform to modern standards. Judging a game in historical context is important, that or not having impossibly high standards.

The stages look a bit generic because it was the first N64 game, it was one of the first true 3D platformers. In terms of consistent physics the game is excellent and you have a ton of movement options to accomplish the tasks which are varied enough to keep the game interesting for at least 70 stars.

Regarding OP's topic. The original Super Mario Bros 2 would have been nice to have as an option. I like Mario 2, but having both would have been better. I understand why Nintendo decided not to release it until the SNES here, bu choice trumps no choice.
>>
>>3278397
Agreed. Super Mario 64 was a fantastic game for its time, and still a very fun game to play now. It's a yearly play-through for me.
It's an almost perfect game, except the camera is flawed. The camera was the only thing I never liked about the game.

And technically, the original Super Mario Bros. 2 was never released on the Super NES, because the physics were changed.
>>
>>3278407

That's why I always try to keep games in two forms of context. 1.) The era in which it was made. Art is judged based on the times it was created in, as are movies and books. Games cannot be updated constantly (though some companies would like to keep reselling the same product over and over). There's a reason why the 00s was plagued with 3rd person action/shooters and the 90s with fighting games and platformers.
2.) The price of entry to enjoy the game. If I pay $50 or $60 for a game, it has better be damn good, I typically reserve buying retro games below $40 to avoid high expectations. When I pick something up for $10 or less, I expect to enjoy it for a bit and find a few things that are interesting to enjoy. Those that exceed that expectation are laudable, but they are generally the exception.

Gotta play games with a sense of reality. Not everything can be your favorite game you've ever played.
>>
>>3273649
I bet you main Princess Toadstool
>>
>>3272719
That's because most of the opinions you hear in the retro game community are now from kids who are so young they didn't actually grow up with the game. Us old-timers weren't weirded out by the idea of a sequel completely changing up the formula, but now there are tons of Mario fans whose first Mario games were on the DS and Wii, so when they look back, Super Mario 2 seems out of place, since most of its mechanics never got truly integrated into the Mario universe.
>>
>>3278394
Proof of yours? There's nothing either of us will say to convince the other of anything different than their opinion. I think it wasn't great, you think it was one of the greatest. What could I honestly tell you that would make you feel differently?
>>
>>3273649
>implying Toad isn't top tier
git gud
>>
Which e-celebs are talking about SMB2 as a bad thing? Irate Gamer?
>>
>>3274095
I think the game's genius is how it crammed so much gameplay into the fairly small environments.
>>
>>3273718
Truth
>>
>>3274012
If you played it on the SNES and think that you're an absolute asshat
>>
>>3280545
You could just admit you're a contrarian hipster.
>>
File: 1366087691476.jpg (68KB, 450x424px) Image search: [Google]
1366087691476.jpg
68KB, 450x424px
>>3272719
>shitty glorified level pack

While you're busy preferring your shitty glorified rom hack, I'll be playing the real Super Mario Bros. sequel. Super Mario Bros. 3.
>>
>>3278475
I played it as a kid, and even though I think it's more fun than Lost Levels and I knew it as a Mario Game, to say it's not just retextured Doki Doki Panic game and "the real Mario Bros 2" like some older people seem to claim, is just masturbating to nostalgia. Lots of characters from the game made later appearances in Mario games much later, but it's not "really" mario 2. It's some other game retextured and slightly adjusted with mario sprites.

It's a fun mario game, but it's not actually "SMB2" just because people thought it was for about a decade and it was called that in America.
>>
>>3281004
I think it's biggest flaw was lack of gameplay spread out across semi-open environments.

>>3281034
The cancer that is killing /vr/, ladies and gentlemen. I literally agreed to disagree on the matter and the underageb&s still want to push. Look, kid, I already said it's strictly my opinion, just like your perception of the game is strictly your opinion. I thought it sucked, you clearly didn't. Get over it.
>>
>>3281120
>to say it's not just retextured Doki Doki Panic game and "the real Mario Bros 2" like some older people seem to claim
These things aren't mutually exclusive. It's literally both at the same time.
>>
>>3272719
buddy i liked smb2 but it was literally just a doki doki panic romhack.
>>
>>3272719

"newness" is overrated, the truth is that Lost Levels' level design is far superior and inventive to that of SMB2. Just because SMB2 has a new coat of paint and some shitty gimmicks, that does not make it automatically better.

The original SMB has some of the best gameplay of any game ever, there was nothing wrong with making more levels and plunging deeper into the mechanics.
>>
>>3281369
>The original SMB has some of the best gameplay of any game ever
Nah. It's a fun game, but there's nothing interesting or special about it.
>>
>>3272719
Love it a lot but it's a romhack of a non Mario game.
>>
You can usually tell if somebody is underage when they have an unfavorable opinion of SMB2 and instead praise LL for it's "difficulty" and "muh luigis fizzicks".
>>
i would've liked to have both...
>>
>>3273718
>you would expect from terrible romhacks or Super Mario Maker levels nowadays
And US Mario 2 is a sprite hack for a look of different game, Chinese bootlegs did this stuff as well.
>>
>>3281317
>I think it's biggest flaw was lack of gameplay spread out across semi-open environments.
Wow we, like, complete each other.
>>
>>3282631
It's still a good game I guess though. I remember playing it a lot so it must have been something at the time at least.
>>
File: Why_not_both.jpg (14KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
Why_not_both.jpg
14KB, 228x221px
>>3272719
>>
>>3273654
World>3>SMB>SMB2USA>SMB2JP>dog shit>World 2
>>
>>3274619
People have their own opinions you know. If someone says something that is in agreement with what an e-celeb says, it doesn't always mean that they are parroting. Saying something that is contrary to what an e-celeb says doesn't mean they are being contrarian either.
>>
>>3286289
Not really. You must not know too many people who watch E-celebs. They hang on their every word and can't form an opinion on their own. Just hang around a while longer.
>>
>>3286289
>>what is peer pressure

Protip, it has nothing to do with misspelled fruit.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.