[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ah, no Castlevania general? Let's fix that. Starting off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 27

File: cv4.png (227KB, 418x308px) Image search: [Google]
cv4.png
227KB, 418x308px
Ah, no Castlevania general? Let's fix that.

Starting off with the best in the series.
>>
Been emulating Chronicles for PS1. Kinda good.
>>
>>3264652
I like the Slogra, Gaibon, Death gauntlet. Nice energetic music. The atmosphere is pretty strong as well, and it's better than Castlevania 1 or 2 at least

Not my personal favorite though
>>
>>3264697
Not bad, but it takes a few steps back from the advancements that IV made.

>>3264710
What would you consider is your favorite?
>>
>>3264714
It did. I miss free-whipping
>>
>>3264714
I actually like Bloodlines the most. Unconventional choice, I know

Rondo is a close second for me. And SOTN I love but can't really rank it with the others as its too different
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxHgrQSaXkg

What was your favorite rendition of Bloody Tears?
>>
File: sotn.jpg (55KB, 400x333px) Image search: [Google]
sotn.jpg
55KB, 400x333px
>>3264737
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgkxSkF7QOU
>>
>>3264714
We don't all like casualisation. At least the downward whipping in X68000 was made to be an integral part of the game, unlike the casual whip from SCB.
>>
>>3265112
If by casual you mean fun, sure. You mean to tell me you didn't enjoy whipping in any direction and grappling off hooks?
>>
>>3265125
I didn't enjoy SCB at all.
>>
>>3265147
>>3265112
Fuck off australia kun
>>
>>3265147
>great controls
>great music
>great levels
>great bosses

Are you SURE you didn't like it?
>>
>>3265161
Love this strawman. :)
>>
File: australia-emu-war.png (18KB, 324x310px) Image search: [Google]
australia-emu-war.png
18KB, 324x310px
>>3265161
>tfw Australia-kun lost a war to emus
>>
>>3264697
It's "good" if you've never played the original Castlevania. Otherwise it's a trash remake.
>>
>>3265174
Played the original on Amiga. The X68000 version was much better desu.
>>
>>3265181
I bet your favorite Castlevania is SQ, because the entire game is artificial difficulty.
>>
>>3265184
My favourites are Akumajou Denestsu and The New Generation.
>>
Shit thread
>>
>>3265189
Denetsu?
You mean Densetsu?

Also, you sure about that, aus kun? That's ona Ninty console, your enemy company, and the japanese Famicom is 60hz NTSC, doesn't it go too fast for your 50hz brain? Also it might trigger your PAL dicksucker color autism seizures.
>>
>>3265727
Yes, that is what I meant to type. It looks like your obsession with Australian posters is seriously affecting your life. Maybe you should take a break and calm down.
>>
>>3265739
australia kun is just the handle given to you
>>
>>3265180
>>3265192

But 4 isn't a remake.
>>
>>3265758
>replying to obvious, stale australia-kun memes
>>
>>3265758
Yes it is. You didn't play the censored western version, did you?
>>
>>3264652
Tie between IV and Rondo of Blood for me
>>
Any tips against the Grim Reaper in the first game? The hallway before him is pretty brutal, I always have low health whenever I get to him.
>>
If you think SCV4's mechanics are "progress" and "evolution" then you just don't understand Castlevania. There's a reason why future CV's--the holy trinity of Bloodlines, Rondo, and X68000--dumped SCV4's "advancements."

Now this doesn't mean that SCV4 is a bad game. It's fun and has a great atmosphere--it's just that it's Castlevania in name only.
>>
>>3265772
There really is no solid strategy other than learning the pattern, also known as gitting gud. Really you just have to practice the hallway and have decent health when you get there.

You could always savescum too if you're emulating.

Just practice, m8. CV is a lot like Dark Souls in that anybody can get good at it with practice. It's all very deliberate and methodical.
>>
>>3265774
But Bloodlines and X68K tried to incorporate some of IV's mechanics, Bloodlines les you whip diaonally, and X68K lets you whip down when you jump. Granted the controls in those games aren't exactly the same as IV, as Mitsuru Yaida didn't work on either, but I'd say they picked up some of IV's ideas in the controls for sure.

Anyway all CVs changed stuff to the formula after the 1st one. That's why it's a fun series.
>>
>>3265785
And Rondo let's you drop off stairs, also taken from IV, while also adding the ability to jump while climbing them.

One thing I love about IV's controls is being able to walk while ducking. Wish other castlevanias also had that, it reminds me of Shinobi
>>
File: medusacastlevania.jpg (163KB, 730x800px) Image search: [Google]
medusacastlevania.jpg
163KB, 730x800px
>>3264737
>>3264765
it's a tie between the awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT9ljN81xto
and the 90s as fuck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePhdHP8h6_M
>>
Are you fucking kidding?

>best castlevania game?
>rondo of blood
>/thread

This is not even debatable, at least if you're excluding metroidvania which isn't even really castlevania if we're being honest.
>>
>>3264737
you posted it
>>
Dracula X > SC4
>>
>>3266078
By Dracula X do you mean Rondo of Blood or Vampire's Kiss (aka Dracula XX)?
>>
>>3266086
I mean Dracula X, the SNES game, which is ultimately the better SNES Castlevania and awesome sequel to NES gameplay.
SC4 is mostly a walk in the park, Dracula X is a challenging gauntlet where each room is looking to rape you.
>>
>>3266095
Yes, Vampire's Kiss is a much better Snes Castlevania. It actually feels like a Castlevania unlike SCB. It's ultimately not a great game, however.
>>
>>3266078
my nigga
>>
>>3265986
Rondo is overrated as fuck. IV is the King.
>>
>>3266095
I wouldn't really call Super Castlevania X that challenging... I beat it on my first try in around an hour, and the hardest parts of the game is the bosses they rehashed from Rondo, like the werewolf. But the most time spent was fighting that new final boss. IV has much more elaborate and interesting level designs, as well as having more dynamic gameplay to boot though.
>>
>>3265772
There's no quick way to do it unless you use the holy water trick. If you don't want to do that, first practice at the hallway before Death. You'll have to be able to get through that without taking a hit. Once you've mastered that, an important tip is getting the double and triple shots. This is dependent on how many times you hit enemies or candles with that sub weapon. Get the cross at the bottom of the stairs in the last area. Kill enemies with it until you get the triple shot. Then get past the hallway before death, and use the cross+triple shot to kill him.
>>
>>3265164
Just like yours, champ.
>>
File: powerglove.jpg (9KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
powerglove.jpg
9KB, 320x220px
>Australia-kun will never admit how literally perfect IV is
>>
>>3267032
I'm sure he likes it.

He just shitposts too much when he's drunken
>>
>>3267036
The funny thing is all he can ever do to complain about it is that it's "too easy", as if Rondo, Bloodlines, and even CV1 aren't all easier than IV.
>>
So is there a death penalty in these threads for enjoying all of the incarnations of the series in their own way including Lords of Shadows.
>>
>>3267060
That's not even true, why would you blatantly misrepresent an argument like that?
>>
>>3267060

I think he's conscious that his shitposts are too obvious so he doesn't even try anymore, all he does is spouting the "Super Mario Bros" meme in hope that some teens from /v/ pick them up and start using it, but it's hilarious because /v/ don't care at all about classicvania shitposting, they're too busy mixing /tv/ memes like CastleKino and stuff, and that makes australia very sad.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>Best classicvania coming through
>Name a better character than Grand DeNasty. You can't.
>>
>>3267093
>he played as Spiderman
Solo Trevor or gtfo.
>>
>>3267074
Because it's true? Did you not see his earlier post where he dismissed all of IV's good points by just saying "too casual" or "no strategy involved"?
>>
>>3264714
It went backwards, but I wouldn't say SCIV is the better game.

X68000 is pretty excellent, despite having a one or two weak levels. I think it's one of the best in the series overall.
>>
>>3267060
Rondo are Bloodlines have always been easier to me overall than IV, but I definitely don't think the original is.
>>
File: 5.gif (44KB, 357x250px) Image search: [Google]
5.gif
44KB, 357x250px
>>3264714

I prefer RoB because of my sweet pure imouto-chan.

>Daily reminder that the prince of darkness was bested by an anime loli
>>
File: australia-on-cv4.jpg (60KB, 513x241px) Image search: [Google]
australia-on-cv4.jpg
60KB, 513x241px
>>3267119
Here it is in case anybody missed it.
>>
>>3267136
Not canon. SotN shows that Richter beat Dracula for Rondo's ending.

Also
>playing an easy Castlevania game with an easy mode character
Shame on you.
>>
>>3267154
I beat Dracula with Maria and Richter, they're both equally possible. Why would only Richter's matter? Because of some dumb story game that came later? Give me a break.
>>
>>3267227
This. The canon of the series isn't exactly that amazing either. Eventually they had to break the rule of Dracula resurrecting every 100 years just so they could make more games and then they started running out of good time periods.

It's not a very well thought out story at all.
>>
Which is your favourite 'vania monster?
I always liked the Behemoth design from Rondo with his entrails hanging out. Even with half its body missing it just keeps on going. I always thought that the knights were cool too.

>>3267136
Maria best girl, good taste
If I was Dracula I wouldn't even bother resurrecting after getting beaten by a 12 year old girl.
>>
>>3267274
Yeab, the Behemoth was pretty cool. I'm partial to the purple knights with extendable spears.
>>
>>3267290
Extendable spear guys were great. Them and the boomerang axe guys.
>>
Quick question, interested in trying Simon's quest for the first time and was wondering if there is a suggested translation? I know the original english translation is very vague and obscure about info so I was wondering if there is a preffered fan translation.
>>
File: latest.gif (12KB, 200x179px) Image search: [Google]
latest.gif
12KB, 200x179px
>>3267343
Try using redacted. They patched it so that the hints make more sense, night day transitions are quicker, and dialogue moves faster. http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Hacks/SimonsRedaction.html
>>
>>3265761
>some idiots honestly believe australia-kun doesn't exist

saw it in another thread last night (that got deleted)
>>
>>3267348
Thanks anon. Are the day/night switches? Sorry but I actually have no experience with simon's quest.
>>
>>3267363
Take your meds already.
>>
>>3267372
Yes, it is a switch with a text box telling you that day has changed to night. The switch interrupts gameplay a little bit.>>3267363

>The transition from day to night is much faster. I took it from 10 seconds down to 4 seconds.
>>
>>3267135
NES CV is pretty short and simple. You shouldn't have too much trouble with it outside of maybe Death and his level.
>>
Do NOT try playing Vania 1 on touch screen phone with emulator.
I have never been past the first boss.
>>
File: 1461619775163.png (307KB, 682x393px) Image search: [Google]
1461619775163.png
307KB, 682x393px
>>3267436
>playing anything other then a turn based game on a touch screen
>>
>>3267363

I wasn't saying that Aussie-kun doesn't exists, he's one of the worst shitposters here.
I meant that don't reply to his obvious bait.
>>
How do we make Castlevania threads great again?
>>
>>3268113
Surprisingly, /v/ has been having some decent Castlevania threads.

I'm not sure why people bicker over which is best. They're all great games.
>>
>>3267421

Oh man that level wouldn't have been so bad if you didn't have to carry the best power up through all of it.
>>
>>3264652
>Starting off with the best in the series.
Entitled to your opinion, but I think it gets too much praise.
Don't get me wrong though, I love that game, but I just don't see what is so great about it in comparison to other games in the series.
I might have to sort of, disagree with you, and say that Castlevania 3 on the NES was better.
Honestly, I don't have a specific favorite in the series, but I am always hearing about how great SC4 is, and I have played it a bazillion times, and I think it's good, but not great.
Put it this way, I am one of those people who really liked Bloodlines on the Genesis, even though I also had a SNES.
I will admit that the music from SC4 did grow on me after a while.
>>
>>3268147
Just to add to that, Castlevania X comes close to being my favorite, though I love them all...except Haunted Castle, the arcade game, which wasn't terrible, but not very good either.
>>
>>3267484
Fucking nigger that was my point
>>
>>3264652
>Go through game
>die a couple times, learning, making mistakes
>get pretty far

>die

>start over from beginning of entire game

Time to use level cheats.
>>
>>3268701
You're meant to accumulate extra lives from the parts you've gotten the hang of.
>>
>>3268701
>find passwords for Bloodlines on gamefaqs after game overing in world 4
>guy has 1 life left and no continues
>find more passwords, all are for expert mode
>>
File: 1434082396241.jpg (37KB, 503x542px) Image search: [Google]
1434082396241.jpg
37KB, 503x542px
>tfw Super Castlevania IV could potentially be the best game in the series if it was longer and harder
>>
File: 1464275176102.jpg (255KB, 1024x864px) Image search: [Google]
1464275176102.jpg
255KB, 1024x864px
>>3268770
>longer and harder
>>
Feel like playing 3 again, should I go the famicom or nes version? From what I know the jap version has the better music while the US version is more balances.
>>
>>3268826
Famicom version is a fairer and more balanced game with much better music. Dracula's Curse is shit next to it.
>>
File: 1372977241181.jpg (36KB, 340x565px) Image search: [Google]
1372977241181.jpg
36KB, 340x565px
>>3264652
>Starting off with the most overrated in the series.
>>
>>3269015

That isn't SOTN or Rondo.
>>
Is Castlevania Chronicles on playstation the proper way to play X680000?

Is there anything to gain from emulating the original game instead?
>>
>>3269041

Yes, it includes options to change the soundtrack to different synths for the original FM music, I'd say it's very complete, I don't think you'd gain anything extra emulating it, just select original mode and not arrange mode on Chronicles.

>>3268770
It already is pretty long, 11 stages is a pretty good lenght (compared to other games in the series like CV1 or Bloodlines that have around 7 or 8).
As for easy, I don't think it's that easy. But if you want to add a challenge, handicap yourself, don't use the diagonal whip, play 2nd loop (find a password somewhere if you don't want to play the game on normal yourself).
>>
>>3269038
>Rondo
>not the best

Top cuck
>>
>>3269049
>But if you want to add a challenge, handicap yourself, don't use the diagonal whip, play 2nd loop (find a password somewhere if you don't want to play the game on normal yourself).

If you have to handicap yourself in order to fix what developers fucked up on, in this case the difficulty, then the game is flawed.

SC4 is really is way too easy, and it's partially why it feels so short despite having a ton of levels.

And if you actually think it's hard, you should probably go back to your speak and spell, video games aren't for you.
>>
>>3269058
>If you have to handicap yourself in order to fix what developers fucked up on, in this case the difficulty, then the game is flawed.

I was just making a suggestion. Many people handicap themselves on many games to add difficulty, doesn't mean the games are flawed. Never tried a no-whip upgrade on Castlevania 1? Or a no sub-items run?

>SC4 is really is way too easy, and it's partially why it feels so short despite having a ton of levels.

I find it a tad bit more challenging than Rondo of Blood, but then again, both games are easy, some people find Rondo harder and that's fine. But for some reason, only IV gets flak for being hard, not Rondo.

>And if you actually think it's hard, you should probably go back to your speak and spell, video games aren't for you.

I think it's a tad bit harder than Rondo and not the easiest of the classicvanias, still definitely on the easy side but again, that might be because we played a lot of Castlevania already, give any Castlevania to someone who never played the series and they will struggle with any of them.

Stop being so tryhard man.
>>
>>3269050

It is one of the best, yes, but also overrated, more than IV.
>>
>>3267343
Help yourself:

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=710
>>
File: cvania.gif (13KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
cvania.gif
13KB, 256x256px
>>3264652
I never see people discussing this game, even though it's crazy good. It's up there with Rondo, Bloodlines and IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aal9dUr-kU

http://the-mig-page.wifeo.com/castlevania-the-lecarde-chronicles-2013.php
>>
>>3269041
>Is there anything to gain from emulating the original game instead?
You could use different midiboxes with the original. Some sounded really great.
>>
>>3269110
not retro
>>
>>3268720

No, you're meant to write down passwords. Bloodlines is the only game with limited continues.
>>
Not Australia-kun, I'm actually from another thirdworld shithole, but I agree that SCIV is the worst classicvania. I find the graphics unimpressive (muted colors, ugly design), the gameplay repetitive aside from occasional badly implemented gimmicks like whip swinging and the game simply way too easy, even on second quest. A Drac that gives you life powerups is just a bad joke
>>
>>3269326

Not liking IV doesn't automatically makes you Australia-kun. It's when you try to argue that IV has "super mario physics" or "it's worse than Amiga castlevania" that you transform into aussie shitposter-kun.
>>
>>3269326
You see unlike Australia-kun you actually made a argument for your opinion and didn't just post buzzwords hoping to let people know you're a contrarian.
>>
File: castlevania.jpg (427KB, 1207x1167px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania.jpg
427KB, 1207x1167px
Time for the weird 80s soundtrack done in the style of MJ Thriller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsf-lxuGwZc&list=PLYJHik59I4ywpwNLTLboq82xv_w_zOl4q&index=8
>>
>>3269110
I've shilled this game a couple times on /v/ but no one seems to listen or care. They'd rather talk about Odallus other ho-hum steam knock-offs.

Lecarde Chronicles has heart, hyped to see more of mig's sequel.

Also Super Castlevania 4 is a fun game but it IS a remake and should be classified as it's own thing. Not bad at all, quite good, just different. Rondo is the real Castlevania 4.
>>
>>3269396
He usually insults/strawmans people for no reason at all too
>>
>>3269110
I'll try this out, thanks
>>
>>3271195
Also there are heaps of hacks for vampire killer on msx if you want something new
>>
>>3270925

> but it IS a remake

No it's not. Story is the least important part of Castlevania and that is the only thing that 4 has in a common with 1.
>>
>>3269358
IV is worse than Amigavania, though. At least the latter puts up a challenge.
>>
>>3269150
I know, but where the fuck else are we supposed to talk about it? /v/?
>>
>>3272386
There was a good Castlevania thread on /v/ last night, before a Skullgirlsfag shit it up
>>
>>3272064
Haha yeah, that's more like Australia-kun.
>>
>>3268701
It gives you a continue pass word on game over?
>>
>>3269058
>And if you actually think it's hard, you should probably go back to your speak and spell, video games aren't for you.
Oh please faggot
The only thing stopping SCV4 from being the ultimate Castlevania title is that it dumped CV3's multiple pathways and characters
>>
>>3274505
The extra characters in AD were for casuals. Grant and Alucard broke level designs, while Sypha shits on bosses. They were the Maria of the 8-bit days.
>>
>>3264652
Diagonal whips for the win
>>
File: Castlevania.jpg (1021KB, 2100x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania.jpg
1021KB, 2100x2100px
That moment when I first played Castlevania on the NES (was my first console even though I was born in 1992). Holy shit, this game just kicks so much ass! Unfortunately I never played the other sequels on the NES, or future games. I am only now trying them out after getting hyped (or not-hyped) from AVGN.

But seriously, Castlevania (original), although hard as hell, such a good game. That soundtrack is pure 8-bit melodic gold!

pic related: an image I put together so I could throw the soundtrack in my iTunes and have matching album art for the NES trilogy.
>>
File: Castlevania II.jpg (910KB, 2100x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania II.jpg
910KB, 2100x2100px
>>3275881
To continue off my previous post. Look at the cover art to these games! God damn. I wish games had art like this these days. So much to look at.

And I forget, did the first game have red (reassembling) skeletons? If not I definitely played one, as a kid, that did. Totally remember those assholes.
>>
>>3275886
Castlevania III is also ridiculously hard. Playing through it right now, on an emulator unfortunately, and even with the ability to save at any point, I can barely beat it.
>>
File: Castlevania III.jpg (883KB, 2100x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania III.jpg
883KB, 2100x2100px
>>3275891
Forgot pic.
>>
>>
>>3275895
Source?
>>
>>3275907
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/03/11/web-based-emulator-adds-cool-retro-quasi-3d-effect-to-classic-nes-games-%E3%80%90video%E3%80%91/
>>
File: Console Wars.png (147KB, 592x937px) Image search: [Google]
Console Wars.png
147KB, 592x937px
>>3264652

>Starting off with the best in the series.

But enough bait, have at you!
>>
>>3275968
>enjoying a game more than the others makes you a console warrior

Kill yourself, Kamiyafag.
>>
>>3276017

You haven't been around /vr/ very long, have you?

People literally only post SC4 as the "best in the series" to make stealth bait threads. Nobody actually thinks SC4 is the best in the series.
>>
File: 8pUzatg.png (7KB, 201x199px) Image search: [Google]
8pUzatg.png
7KB, 201x199px
>>3276039
>>
>>3275968
>doesn't like a console because of 1 bad port

Wow, Kamiya is stupider than I thought.
>>
File: 300px-0043-YoungChristopher2.jpg (47KB, 300x425px) Image search: [Google]
300px-0043-YoungChristopher2.jpg
47KB, 300x425px
>>3265883
Not what I was expecting from that second track. They're both pretty cool though.
>>
>>3276039
>Nobody actually thinks SC4 is the best in the series.
Apart from Nintenbabies and casuals.
>>
>>3276039

I actually think CV IV is the best in the series, but I don't mention it too much because, well, Castlevania threads are still Castlevania threads, and it triggers people like aussie-kun.

>>3276138

I'm more of a Segafag, and I think casuals would rather play SOTN which lets you grind and you can't die from falling from pits.
>>
>>3264737

>peruses thread
>favorite version not posted

Whilst I love me some metal renditions of just about everything CV, this version just hooks me in every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdP8NrucGM
>>
What does /vr/ think of the original Castlevania?
I can't help but feel like the whip comes out slightly too slowly. It might just be a case of "anon just needs to git gud and plan ahead", but often I find myself unable to turn around and hit enemies behind me in time because of the slight delay on the whip. At the same time though, that little delay makes it so much more satisfying to hit something, gives it an oomph.

>>3276524
>peruses
Hey, I didn't know that word until I looked it up.
Thanks anon, learnt something new today.
Thread posts: 133
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.