[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm curious, how much of /vr/ exclusively players retro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: 001m.png (105KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
001m.png
105KB, 480x360px
I'm curious, how much of /vr/ exclusively players retro games, and how many play modern games as well?

If the former, what distinction do you make between retro and modern games that makes you prefer retro? Is it the historical context, the technical limitations of the time, or the design philosophies? Would you give a chance to homebrew games for retro systems or indie games that seek to emulate the design of older games?
>>
File: 1404953775508.jpg (97KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1404953775508.jpg
97KB, 640x960px
That is some insanely delicious flat. And the game looks neat too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMB5FK2YMVA

But anyway, I mostly play retro but I don't disinclude myself from modern games because if I did that would mean I wouldn't get to play games like rhythm heaven or house of the dead 4.
>>
>>3263796
>indie games that seek to emulate the design of older games?
Most of them fail because they only imitate said older games superficially.
>>
>>3263854
As far as I'm concerned, if your game doesn't run on a Pentium 3 and fuck-all RAM, you have failed miserably at making a "retro" game.
>>
>>3263869
Hardware is irrelevant, optimization its always appreciated though.

If you are gonna make something today and you want people to play it, you have to make it run in a standard dual core cpu and a modern OS at least, only a minority of autists have a Pentium III with Win98 exclusively to play older games.

This one in particular I think It's really fun and captures the retro style: http://store.steampowered.com/app/286100/

Other games like Super Meat Boy don't pretend to be retro and complaining about it its retarded, except for the "hard as fuck like some old platformers" part there isn't much retro about it, only the warp-zone levels are actually retro-like.

>inb4 steam is shit back to /v/

I don't love Steam either buddy, but calm the autism.
>>
I play mostly retro games and indie games. I've gotten real tired of the industry's shit lately, so I've been playing old stuff and stuff by small groups.
I don't really care much for the specifics of definitions, if it plays on an SNES/Genesis/Gameboy/etc it's a retro game.

Probably the only "modern" game I've been playing recently is Phantasy Star Online 2, and even then that's more because I'm a fucking gigantic Phantasy Star nerd.
Nei dying will always trump Aeris dying, for me.
>>
>>3263906
Off topic but my nigga.

I love all the Phantasy Star games, from classic to Online to Online 2. I don't understand why the fandom has to spend so much time calling other games in the series garbage. Just sit back and have fun
>>
>>3263796

I play both. I just play stuff I like, mostly going back and forth between 3DS and mame
>>
>>3263796
i've been playing a bit of LoL but other than that it's all retro for me
>>
File: protectmeknight2.jpg (108KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
protectmeknight2.jpg
108KB, 500x300px
I play both but my non-retro playtime is almost entirely 6th gen.

Most indie games trying to be retro are pretty shit. Pic not related this one's good but most of them are bad.
>>
>>3263892
retro city rampage DX includes a DOS version of the game
>>
I have a large collection of games that spans a lot of retro content but also a lot of 6th generation games as well. I also own quite a few 7th generation games, but it's still relatively expensive to collect a lot of the games I care for. 8th gen is mostly games I don't care about mostly due to cost and does anyone really think this shit is better than old stuff anyway? Might as well buy secondhand older games. Currently I'm interested mostly in finding JP Saturn stuff found some US Saturn stuff in the wild being sold at internet prices. Fuck that noise. I can get 10 good JP games at those costs.

As for preferences, I actually don't like spending a lot of time playing a lot of older 3rd console era-earlier games due to the arcade restart mindset. It's not that I can't beat them, but the persevere until you win is time consuming, and as much as I like gaming, I don't like to treat it as my only past time. In those cases I prefer to emulate.

I also have a soft spot for the fifth gen of consoles where game design was throw anything until it sticks especially in regards to early 3d gaming, but also because I really like the aesthetic and movement of 2d gaming from the era.
>>
File: sad_cat.jpg (5KB, 224x221px) Image search: [Google]
sad_cat.jpg
5KB, 224x221px
Not exclusively retro here but for the last 5 or so years it's becoming more and more difficult to find a real game to play. I mean, a game meant to be played and not a movie to watch while holding a control pad.
>>
>>3263796
I really only play retro games now, mostly 5th gen and earlier. I don't even hate modern games, I'm just not interested. I like roguelikes, haven't touched one lately, dunno if the latest version of Dynahack or Angband counts as retro or not. PS3 is the latest piece of hardware I own, maybe even counting my computer.

This guy is right: >>3263854

Pixel art games aren't really that much like the games they're referencing, usually. A lot of them are probably fine for what they are but eh.
>>
I play both. I'm currently playing Valkria Chronicles on PS4. Before that, I finished Phantasy Star on the Genesis Ultimate Collection for PS3. I do have a sizable collection for both retro and non-retro games that I freely alternate between.
>>
Is there a rom of this game yet?
>>
>>3263796
My tastes have always gravitated to arcade style gaming. I play some non-arcade style games, but not a lot. So since modern consoles don't have a lot of those types of games I mostly play older stuff.

Indie hipster shit is garbage. Can't stand it. They feel NOTHING like the classics that they plagiarize.
>>
>>3263815
The lads at Famicom World are worried because Kira Kira Star Night appears to be using the same boards as some previous game, which were terribly made with shitty voltages that could actually break your console.
>>
>>3263796
I play games from all eras, but I'm most familiar with the older stuff because I myself am older.
I play modern stuff too though.
I have to say, as many have, that the idea of DLC is a complete and total fuck up.
>>
It comes in periods. I'm mostly playing modern games right now though.
>>
>>3263796
I'm on my laptop indefinitely right now so I've been taking the opportunity to kill through the older shit I have been meaning to play for years.
>>
>>3263796
Oh man I played this game at Tokyo game show two years ago and thought it was terrible.
>>
>>3263796
I play any game I happen to like, retro or not.

>Would you give a chance to homebrew games for retro systems or indie games that seek to emulate the design of older games?

Absolutely not, it's a fool's errand and most of those projects are scams.

Every time someone makes a "retro" homebrew or a game that is supposed to be like one it always ends up being uncanny looking and either simply archaic in design or simply not a game from those times, look at Pier Solar for instance.

Fact is, people who develop those kind of games mimic what made games great(for them) without understanding the context in which those games were made and the fact that they were and are products of their time.

The first thing you'll notice is that usually the graphics and artstyles are largely incongruent and inconsistent when compared to the era they're trying to evoke, they're either simply too loaded with arguably shabby details or simply too barren, the artstyle is most of the time uncanny and tries to ape whatever the common arstyle for the time was.

When it comes to gameplay, the best you'll get is a clone of a famous game, the worst you'll get is an archaic trainwreck justified by pathetic apologies like "B...BUT IT'S LIKE AN OLD GAME, IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO PLAY WELL OR HAVE WELL DESIGNED FEATURES".

Those people can't make a game that can be truly considered retro, they're simply not living in that time, they're not struggling with the hardware of that time because they have much more knowledge about it than people had back then, most of the nice ideas of game designs and engineering also came by using unoptimized workarounds and that's also what made other games more impressive due to devs spending sleepless nights figuring out how to squeeze everything from the hardware, now everyone has handy examples of what to do and just mimic them without fully understanding the theories and efforts behind them, same for arstyle and music.
>>
I play whatever my shitty laptop can run, which includes PC games up to 2005-6 and emulators up to PS2.
I think every era has amazing games, it's just a shame to miss out on all the unique games in 80s/90s.
Some retrofags on this board get way too bothered about modern games though, I don't understand what's their problem.
>>
I play more PS2-era games (so, not retro) than new stuff, by far. I still play the new PC games here and there, but once I managed to get a good gaming rig, I stopped and thought "I don't want to play any of those games" and turned the thing into an emulation machine.

Like >>3263854 said, I used to play more indie stuff before, but nowadays there's tons and tons of crap, and almost zero creativity. There are hundreds of "puzzles with squares or cubes" games on Steam. I've played 4 or 5 before giving up on them altogether. Same about platformers and RPG Maker "shit".

I still like plenty of new releases, but I find myself playing them less and less. The number one reason that makes me consider NOT buying a new game is too much cinematic stuff (QTEs, hand-holding). In that case, I end up watching everything on youtube. The only game where I didn't that was The Last of Us, and even that had a lot of hand-holding. I grew up playing Tomb Raider 1,2,3,4,5 and whatever, and I couldn't stomach more than 2 hours of the newest Tomb Raider.
>>
>>3263796
I play a little bit of both but I've decided to focus more on older titles for now. I'm starting with the NES and working my way up through all kinds of systems.
>>
The most "modern" game I play regularly is from 2006. I have complaints even about retro games in the sense I'm more of an arcade guy, and usually the "depth" people love is bad implemented shit that only takes time of the player because grinding, and not something with some well done system like most of cRPGS..
>>
>>3266006
>I play whatever my shitty laptop can run, which includes PC games up to 2005-6 and emulators up to PS2.
Check out this motherfucker whose "shitty laptop" can run a PS2 emulator
>>
One thing that deeply saddens me, is that 2D largely died out before their biggest revolution: 16:9

It offers so much more screen real estate, it's amazing. That's why I play some new indie games here and there. But I can't stand bad pixel art. I don't mean the minimalistic stuff, I mean inconsistent resolutions.
>>
>>3266414
>It offers so much more screen real estate
it cuts off top and bottom
>>
>>3266260
I know right? That "shitty" laptop can't be less than a Core 2 Duo, so much for shitty.
>>
>>3266476
Core 2 Duo are almost a decade old
>>
>>3266414

2D died because there was not much more gameplaywise to explore. The medium exhausted its innovative game mechanics during NES anyways.
>>
>>3266414
How is 2D dead though? After the initial excitement over 3D space fizzled out, lots of developers still make 2D games.

Yes, a lot of them use 3D graphics on a 2D plane, but it's still the same gameplay type.
>>
>>3266494
2D died because the console gaming mass market prefers 3D and real-ish looking characters.
(The phone game market seems to be perfectly happy with 2D.)
>>
>>3266498
fun fact: modern 3D third person game controls are screen space 2D
>>
>>3266504
3D third-person action games have got to be the silliest genre.
3D space + analog sticks + camera creates an absurd amount of freedom of control, so much so that these games are all about how to restrict that freedom through various types of manual or automatic lock-on systems (reducing the interaction with a target to a 2D plane) or by removing the need to aim at all with weapons that home or swing in giant arcs. And then you these context-sensitive actions like gluing your back to a wall to hide behind waist-high cover barriers or at the edges of doors, or dangling-from-handholds platforming games, etc., and then you do more restricted actions from that state.

So you're either operating in a restricted-control mode that might as well be 2D, or you're issuing high-level instructions to the character like "hide by the edge of this door" and he carries them out on his own like some kind of menu-driven game.

Oh yeah and QTEs, can't forget those. Those go great with pretty-looking 3D animations that would be impractical to actually control.
>>
I just enjoy older games better. They're more fun and interactive.

Nowadays everything has to be a god damned movie. A neat cutscene here and there is fine for plot development. But I wanna be able to do stuff for more than 3 minutes at a time

that being said, doom 4 looks fucking amazing and I really want to buy a ps4 just to play it
>>
>>3266498

Sure indieshit is a thing, but really they all reharsh megaman / metroid / mario / castlevania mechanics.

Conceptually 2D space is spent, so it's relegated to small scale developers because it doesn't draw as much money or interest even from retro crowd.
>>
>>3266530
Conceptually 3D space is also spent.
>>
>>3266537

It is. Why else would the industry move towards interactive media and walking simulators? It's easier to pump out narrative driven experiences that can be reviewed and rated like movies.
>>
>>3266526
>So you're either operating in a restricted-control mode that might as well be 2D
They all are 2D. Just look closely at the controls. It's two 2D inputs, each of them operating in screen space. In fact, understanding that was what kickstarted the whole 3D game thing for the masses. Before that, character or world space controls were common. They have not survived, because they're too indirect, or too complex
>>
>>3266549
>It is.
not even remotely

>Why else would the industry move towards interactive media and walking simulators?
familiarity. The media industry has literally a century of experience regarding script writing and movie shooting. That is familiar terrain. Interactivity is still in its infancy. If you think I'm kidding, take a quick glance at RPGs. In theory the most interactive thing imaginable. After all, you're in charge of a whole human being, all their actions, all their thoughts. In reality though, the vast majority of RPG interaction is fighting, and selecting dialog. Know why that is? Because designers and developer have not even the faintest clue how to actually make other interactions. I'm not implying I do, because I certainly don't. I'm just giving an example just how immature interactivity as a concept is. Anyway, thanks to modern hardware asset creation has become excessively expensive. With a high bill comes a high risk. A single game can bankrupt a company. That's not good. So what do you do to mitigate that risk? Among many other things, you rely on experience. You take established gameplay, established procedures to create. These established procedures come from movie, book writing, artwork, and so on. That's the main reason modern games are movies, simple as that. It's also why most recent "innovation" in gameplay, no matter how marginal, happens in indie games. They look crude, but they are also low budget, and hence low risk. Designers just mess with ideas and concepts, put them into prototype-like games. Sometimes it's just a single mechanic, and that's fine. It's experimentation. Just another aspect of the whole thing being so new.
>>
Does Game Boy Advance count as modern vidya?
>>
>>3266562
Nigger you essentially agreed with him.
>>
>>3266489
So? It can run games from 2015 and quite playable.
>>
>>3266597
I strongly disagree with the claim that "3D space is spent" (or any kind of gameplay foundation), and gave some reasoning for that
>>
>>3266562

>Games are expensive to make

This myth needs to stop. Companies are basically giving away their engines for free and generic 3D assets/textures are a google away. Plus current devs outsource a huge chunk of game development to Chinese and Indian companies. Really the only expensive part is marketing and it's barely related to game development. Why else do you think Asscreed and calladuty can have their yearly buggy releases? Studios are just 3D modeling sweatshops these days. The whole AAA game making process is automated as fuck.

It's a leftist corporate liberal arts utopia, which really shows in the narrative and the way gaming in general is handled.
>>
>>3266625
>This myth needs to stop
It's bitter reality for AAA. As they have nowhere to go in terms of gameplay or engines, their only way to differentiate themselves from each other is in their IP and assets. Both are quite expensive.

>Companies are basically giving away their engines for free
I did not mention engines, for a reason

>generic 3D assets/textures are a google away
not if you're AAA. Then licensing becomes a serious issue, and if anybody realizes you're using stock assets you'll be laughing stock

>Studios are just 3D modeling sweatshops these days
That's exactly what I said. Asset generation. That's all they do. Though I included writing, artwork (texturing) and audio production

>The whole AAA game making process is automated as fuck.
only in so far as picking the engine and IP. Beyond that it's a lot of asset creation, out of necessity

You know the budgets of modern AAA junk. Even though it includes marketing, spend a second to think what it would look like without the sweat-shopping and out-sourcing, and then tell me again how that stuff is not expensive. A major driving force behind the slave labor practices in game dev is cost pressure
>>
>>3266625
You're an idiot. The average AAA game has at least 100 - 150 people on staff working on programming, design, and asset creation. In contrast a game like fucking Goldeneye on N64 was created by a team of 10 people. You're a delusional moron if you think game development of AAA games is cheap.
>>
>>3266609

No you gave reasoning why big companies don't do anything interesting besides open world.

The truth of the matter is that Minecraft is the latest truly innovative game. Because it introduced the ultimate gaming mechanic. It's not procedural generated worlds or modding, customising or online. But being able to shape the gaming world in 3D, which is the ultimate form of interactivity next to actually making a game yourself.

Before minecraft everyone was going nuts over physics(HL2), dynamic lighting (DOOM3) context sensitivity (OoT and SM64) huge open worlds (GTA) and because it allowed for more interactivity with the gaming world that wasn't static. Now that we've reached those technological milestones what else is there to play around with?
>>
>>3266650
>Minecraft is the latest truly innovative game. Because it introduced the ultimate gaming mechanic
>shape the gaming world in 3D, which is the ultimate form of interactivity
you can't be serious

>what else is there to play around with?
begging the question
>>
>>3266641

I'm not saying it's cheap, I am saying it's not as expensive as you fuckers make it out to be.

Also yeah, I'm pretty sure even AAA use generic assets as a base because who want to model rocks
>>
>>3266663
>you can't be serious

Implying what?
>>
Hopefully production costs are gonna decrease in the near future like they did for 2D shit.
>>
>>3263796
90% of my gaming time is spent playing retro games these days. I had a PS4 but the announcement of the NEO made me get rid of it. I have zero desire to get it back anytime soon. That being said I still have a PS3 and enjoy playing games like Yakuza on it.

So yeah, I've grown to hate the direction modern game consoles have gone in, not modern gaming per se. I still enjoy playing the occassional indie game on PC and I'm in the process of building a good computer now that I won't be investing in consoles any longer.

Personally I still like retro games more because the majority of retro games actually feel like, well games. They offer an arcade like challenge and experience that is rare to see these days. I like the simplicity of 16 bit games and how they wouldn't try to take themselves seriously. Now modern AAA games are boring, open world snorefests that try way too hard to be a movie than a game.
>>
I like both.

I like retro because you can try out any game for free before deciding to commit to it.

Also, with a few exceptions the hardware and physical cartridges are much cheaper than "keeping up the the /v/ Joneses" and buying PS4s and 980 Ti's etc + $60 games that might turn out to be snoozefests.

The modern game industry is churning out a bunch of shit I don't care about, but they've ~always~ done that. With the benefit of hindsight it's easier to pick out the games that are worth playing (or at least worthy of a 20-minute emulation tryout).

I plan on playing Fallout 4 some day - when it's 0-10$ and I can run it on <$100 hardware off ebay. The risk/reward factor of paying lots of money for unknown games just isn't there for me anymore now that I'm older and have hundreds of games that I KNOW are good in my laptop and on my shelves.
>>
>>3266763
>I had a PS4 but the announcement of the NEO made me get rid of it

There hasn't been an announcement. Everything you've heard is rumours.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.